ImageImage

Brewers Org / American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Brewers Org / American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion 

Post#1 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:17 pm

I have not attend as many games in the last 7-8 years as I did in the 2002-2012 timeframe. Just creating a topic of if there are any cool new features to checkout? I heard the Selig Experience is decent. I'm cautiously optimistic the Leines brewery thing is good. I liked the in stadium brewery at Coors Field when we went in 2021. Being a 20 year old venue, gets tougher to keep up with new stadiums.

What are good value ticket locations? I usually upgrade to Field Outfield with the BP vouchers for 1 game. I used to really like Loge Infield because could see whole field but see they price those higher now than they used to. My biggest complaint with the park has always been there are too many blind spots for the corners. Upper deck gets pretty steep too. I did not hate first few rows up there though but generally pay a little more to be in Field or Loge Level, and the secondary market has been weaker so can find decent prices it seems.

Food options? Price aside, always felt the Brewers had good food to pick from. I got to 1 game last year, but hoping to get to a few more. Food and drink are never really a deal breaker for me.

But just creating a topic for the ballpark itself or things around it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,520

Re: American Family Field Discussion 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:59 pm

I think the Leinie's Barrel Yard will probably be pretty nice. They are opening it this week. I popped over there yesterday thinking maybe they had a soft opening and I could take a look but it wasn't opened yet. It looked like they were doing some training. I couldn't get close enough to really look inside (I was by the pro shop). They put out a press release today that there will have 3 beers not sold anywhere else and they will rotate in other exclusive beers. The first 3:

Cherry Gose

This brew pours with a pinkish hue. Subtle tart cherry flavor blends with the light tartness of the beer. The pink Himalayan salts provide a fullness to the mouthfeel that finishes very cleanly. This brew includes three different malts – pale, acidulated and red wheat – to accompany Hallertau Mittelfreu hops. There are two special ingredients for this exclusive brew, Tart Door County Cherries and Pink Himalayan salt.
ABV – 3.8%, BU – 11.0, Cals – 135 cals/12oz

Red Lager (remastered)

Pours with a brilliant rusty red color and thick tight foam. This beer has a sweet malty backbone that balances with the subtle piney cascade dry hopping notes. Ingredients that are included in this special brew are Pale, Caramel and Carapils malts, Cluster and Mt. Hood kettle hops, and Cascade dry hops from Wisconsin.
ABV - 4.8%, BU – 20, Cals – 170 cals/12oz

IPA

This brew is what you would expect from an IPA. Maltiness is coupled with alcoholic sweetness then balanced with a generous amount of hops. These particular hops, Cascade, Citra, Mosaic and Hallertau Mandarina Bavaria, are also used to dry hop at a rate of 1lb per barrel. This brings fresh hop notes of resinous pine, tropical fruits and citrus. This beer uses pale and caramel malts included in its mixtures.
ABV - 6.5%, BU – 40, Cals – 207cals/12oz

Supposedly they are lowering prices on 15 items including beer, popcorn and peanuts. I bring in my own peanuts.

As for tickets I almost always go on weeknights, especially Mondays and Tuesdays. You can get sweet seats between the dugouts on the lower (field) level pretty cheap. Weekends are more expensive with larger crowds but I know many who don't live around here have to go on weekends. You can save some by buying parking in advance through the app.

For 20+ years old I think the park is in good shape, they do a good job keeping it up. And thank God for the roof. I'll be there for one Mets and one Cards game next week, if I see anything worth mentioning I'll post it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#3 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:39 am

Not gonna lie, I'm super jacked I will be able to get Leines Red again! That was our go-to at Lambeau years back and last fall their brewery in Chippewa Falls had it on tap. Haven't had it in years and still enjoyed it. Its nothing fancy but don't care, haha!

There used to be a cool little bar area in the loge level, 3rd base side. But then part of me was like I may as well go to a bar. No idea if it is still there though.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#4 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:08 pm

American Family Field ranked 24th and essentially only above the normal low ranked stadiums other than maybe Yankee Stadium. Seems a little low but I have only been in about 20% of the stadiums. I feel like it’s competitive with the ones I have been to other than I do like a good open air stadium BUT I 100% love knowing I will not freeze nor have a rainout.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/best-mlb-stadiums-ranked-2023-edition-baseball-ballparks

I am curious if they get do major renovations, which the plan is, how much better they can make the stadium aesthetically and/or improve the amenities.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#5 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:American Family Field ranked 24th and essentially only above the normal low ranked stadiums other than maybe Yankee Stadium. Seems a little low but I have only been in about 20% of the stadiums. I feel like it’s competitive with the ones I have been to other than I do like a good open air stadium BUT I 100% love knowing I will not freeze nor have a rainout.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/best-mlb-stadiums-ranked-2023-edition-baseball-ballparks

I am curious if they get do major renovations, which the plan is, how much better they can make the stadium aesthetically and/or improve the amenities.

I went to Fenway a couple years ago. Total sh*tbox. The atmosphere is fine and the surrounding area is cool in that it's very walkable with a lot of bars. But the end of the day they really are just a lot of bars with no tailgating to speak of. If you can't tailgate, I'm not gonna love your stadium.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,708

Post#6 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:29 pm

Any list that has that absolute dump Wrigley Field as a Top-3 ballpark is officially a troll list. Baseball dweebs love their nostalgia.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:16 pm

Bogus list. Wrigley and Fenway are both dumps. Historic perhaps but only because they're old. Terrible places to watch games.

First and foremost on the list should be what it's like to watch an actual game. AmFam is great in that regard. Seating areas are comfortable and of course the roof makes previously unbearable April and May games pleasant. Go to an April game in Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati....

As for "amenities" I don't really know what more AmFam can offer. Food is on par with other parks. Very good beer selection. Are there other things fans are clamoring for that I'm unaware of? A bigger scoreboard?

They've kept the stadium in great shape for being 20 years old. Yes they need cash to keep it up just as every other ballpark does.

Downtown ballparks are cool, I like them. But I also like to tailgate so to me that's a big plus for AmFam. And it's a lot easier to get to than a downtown ballpark would be. Not everyone cares about tailgating obviously.

I've been to Wrigley, Fenway, Busch, Target, White Sox park, Nationals Park, Kauffman, I can't think of anything at those stadiums that we don't have here. Except a World Series title.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#8 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:27 pm

I've only been to AmFam and Chase field over the past 10 or so years. Not that either is great but if they are bottom of the barrel stadiums then I guess baseball is in a pretty good spot with it's stadium situation. It is crazy how similar these parks are, I think they had the same architect and general contractor.

Neither are County Stadium level bad lol. That place was brutal, I went to the last opening day there and got an under age drinking for having a beer in the parking lot as a 20 yr old. So dumb, spent the first five innings in the jail cell below the stadium. Quite the mix of folks in there.

The Metrodome might have actually been worse. My high school team played a game there in 96 and even though I grew up in a small ass poor farming community I thought that place was a piece of ****.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#9 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:26 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Any list that has that absolute dump Wrigley Field as a Top-3 ballpark is officially a troll list. Baseball dweebs love their nostalgia.

I went to a Brewers/Cubs game opening weekend and I will say that vs when I went in 06 and 07 that Wrigley was better. The bathrooms, at least on the 200 level, were new, clean, and had urinals now too. The concourse seemed updated albeit still tight. Did not have any issues with lines and sightlines were good. I did have to put in alot of research and 3D views to get seats where poles arent an issue. But overall the park must have gotten a renovation since the last time i was there.

The team sponsored free remote parking lot with shuttle on Rockwell St worked amazing too. Maybe 10 minutes off the expressway and then take a 10 minute bus ride to a drop off 2-3 blocks north of the park. And obviously get shuttled back to the game, or during it if leave early.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#10 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:43 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Bogus list. Wrigley and Fenway are both dumps. Historic perhaps but only because they're old. Terrible places to watch games.

First and foremost on the list should be what it's like to watch an actual game. AmFam is great in that regard. Seating areas are comfortable and of course the roof makes previously unbearable April and May games pleasant. Go to an April game in Chicago, Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati....

As for "amenities" I don't really know what more AmFam can offer. Food is on par with other parks. Very good beer selection. Are there other things fans are clamoring for that I'm unaware of? A bigger scoreboard?

They've kept the stadium in great shape for being 20 years old. Yes they need cash to keep it up just as every other ballpark does.

Downtown ballparks are cool, I like them. But I also like to tailgate so to me that's a big plus for AmFam. And it's a lot easier to get to than a downtown ballpark would be. Not everyone cares about tailgating obviously.

I've been to Wrigley, Fenway, Busch, Target, White Sox park, Nationals Park, Kauffman, I can't think of anything at those stadiums that we don't have here. Except a World Series title.

My complaints with Miller Park is I feel too many seats have blind spots in the corners. Pretty much have to have behind home plate seats or near it to see the entire field. The terrace level is pretty damn steep as well. Im not an upper deck snob, in fact my season Bucks seats are upper concourse, but I do generally avoid terrace level unless its my only way into the park or maybe if taking kids where we will be in and out of seats b/c prices can be dirt cheap. Lastly I do get the airplane hanger comparison. It does sometimes feel stuffy and warehouse like BUT if want a roof its impossible to have an open air like atmosphere.

With that said, if they can somehow maybe make the outfield panels see through and make the advertisements seem less busy I think that would help bring a more open air atmosphere. Its really limited by the roof but I think there is maybe potential there.

I do wish there was like a ballpark village (STL) or deer district near the stadium. I love tailgating and that is the number 1 appeal to Brewers games, but sometimes I dont have time to tailgate and dont want to shuttle from Bluemound bars or something like that. I do like the addition of the Barrel Yard brewery and plan to check that out Monday. But prices are so damn high that sometimes that takes away from it.

I have no issues with other amenities the stadium has. The food and drinks are good albeit pricey. Thats always the caveat. I heard beer was up to $13? Not sure if true or not. I thought they were lowering prices so may not be accurate. But I dont have a problem with selection or quality. They always rank high for food and drink. Its way better than the Fiserv.

I have been to 6 active parks including Milwaukee. The others are Wrigley, Citi Field, Chase Field, Comerica Park (concert), Coors Field. I felt my experience at ours was on par with all of those. Its tough for me to top an open air beautiful sunny day which I got at most of these, but I cant say ours was worse than any of these. AmFam is always clean too. They have done a great job taking care of the stadium over the years.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:13 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Bogus list. Wrigley and Fenway are both dumps. Historic perhaps but only because they're old. Terrible places to watch games.

My complaints with Miller Park is I feel too many seats have blind spots in the corners. Pretty much have to have behind home plate seats or near it to see the entire field. The terrace level is pretty damn steep as well. Im not an upper deck snob, in fact my season Bucks seats are upper concourse, but I do generally avoid terrace level unless its my only way into the park or maybe if taking kids where we will be in and out of seats b/c prices can be dirt cheap. Lastly I do get the airplane hanger comparison. It does sometimes feel stuffy and warehouse like BUT if want a roof its impossible to have an open air like atmosphere.

With that said, if they can somehow maybe make the outfield panels see through and make the advertisements seem less busy I think that would help bring a more open air atmosphere. Its really limited by the roof but I think there is maybe potential there.

I do wish there was like a ballpark village (STL) or deer district near the stadium. I love tailgating and that is the number 1 appeal to Brewers games, but sometimes I dont have time to tailgate and dont want to shuttle from Bluemound bars or something like that. I do like the addition of the Barrel Yard brewery and plan to check that out Monday. But prices are so damn high that sometimes that takes away from it.

I have no issues with other amenities the stadium has. The food and drinks are good albeit pricey. Thats always the caveat. I heard beer was up to $13? Not sure if true or not. I thought they were lowering prices so may not be accurate. But I dont have a problem with selection or quality. They always rank high for food and drink. Its way better than the Fiserv.

I have been to 6 active parks including Milwaukee. The others are Wrigley, Citi Field, Chase Field, Comerica Park (concert), Coors Field. I felt my experience at ours was on par with all of those. Its tough for me to top an open air beautiful sunny day which I got at most of these, but I cant say ours was worse than any of these. AmFam is always clean too. They have done a great job taking care of the stadium over the years.

Agree about the blind spots. Sucks when a ball goes into a corner and you can't see what's going on. I don't track prices year to year or pay much attention but I paid $13 something for a Summer Shandy when the Mets were in town. They still let you bring food items in. Not sure exactly what the restrictions are but I always bring in a bag of peanuts that twice the size they sell at the park for half the price.

Supposedly they are looking into a "Deer District" type development using part of the parking lots. That would be cool as long as they didn't charge for parking on non game days. I wouldn't put it past the Brewers to do so.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#12 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:49 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:

Agree about the blind spots. Sucks when a ball goes into a corner and you can't see what's going on. I don't track prices year to year or pay much attention but I paid $13 something for a Summer Shandy when the Mets were in town. They still let you bring food items in. Not sure exactly what the restrictions are but I always bring in a bag of peanuts that twice the size they sell at the park for half the price.

Supposedly they are looking into a "Deer District" type development using part of the parking lots. That would be cool as long as they didn't charge for parking on non game days. I wouldn't put it past the Brewers to do so.

Credit to MLB for allowing so much into the stadium. I had a whole backpack of snacks/water for the game at Wrigley. Its great with kids.

I don't know how well the Deer District does on non game days but its definitely going to be more of a challenge at a AmFam because it has to be a destination being isolated essentially. At least the Deer District can rely on being downtown and near various downtown walkable areas.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:24 pm

I'm curious how many went to/go to Fridays/Leinie's on non game days. I'm guessing not many.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#14 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:25 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm curious how many went to/go to Fridays/Leinie's on non game days. I'm guessing not many.

I haven't hit up in the last decade as I did when it first opened. I actually kind of liked it back in the day as Friday's. The pictures of it now look it had a pretty good overhaul. Burger with fries and an app appears to run around $35 before tip and drinks. Menu looks kind of tasty though. I will be curious how it does. https://barrelyardmke.com/menus/
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:33 pm

They don't list beer prices but their food prices are high. Some of it sounds good but I don't know how many will pay ballpark prices on non game days. I'll try to check it out in the next week or two.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#16 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:52 pm

^ My thoughts as well. Are people going to go out of their way to go there on non gamedays for a little higher end pricing? If the food is fantastic, maybe. But they will have to earn a good reputation, otherwise feel most Joe 6 Pack fans will opt for a cheaper alternative and someone wanting higher end aren't likely to choose the stadium. I hope to check it out on Monday. They brought back Leines Red so they're off to a great start with me, haha.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#17 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:08 pm

Attended first game of 2023 at AmFam last night. Other than outcome, had a good time. The pro shop in LF has great selection of gear. I kind of want to go on a non game day. They also have multiple setups throughout the park.

I like The Barrel Yard concept. I did not go into the restaurant but the old waiting area to Friday's is a tap room concept that has a giant TV (had ESPN on), a decent sized bar with 10~ Leine's draft options, and a few high top tables to hang in there, in concourse, and look at the brewery set up. They serve the beer in chilled aluminum Leines/BY cups that you can keep. I would say it was about a 24 oz beer for $16. I can work with that. I was disappointed they were sold out of the Red and their other 2 in-house brewed beers. I think the lowest I saw was 16 oz domestic cans for 10.99 plus tax.

Spent most of the time in the Loge level and was pumped to find a sausage stand that dunks the brats/dogs in warm stadium sauce vat like they did at County Stadium. Brat (sauce and kraut) was $9 after tax. They do have a 414 value menu for $4 Jr dogs, Jr nachos, and cracker jacks. My son had a decent sized slice of Ians Pizza near Section 232 for $8 and medium soda for $7. Pizza looked good and he liked it. The RF corner has a cool craft bar stand with slot of craft options and a long cocktail bar that overlooks the field. This used to be a standing room only viewing area. It seemed like a social area but field views seemed somewhat limited as the cocktail bar was tough to see over. But alot of nice food and drink options.

I tried to do the Selig Experience but the doors were shut and assume they must time when people go in. We had 2 8 year olds so wasn't sure if they be into it and we just moved on. There were no signs or anything with rules and what loomed like an employee just kept mingling with a few people. Maybe next time. It is really tucked away in that back corner, but I have had heard good things. I will say that back corner stunk like **** real bad. Not sure if sewer pipes vent there or what, but it was really bad.

Park was clean as usual. Loge OF seats were solid outside of LF corner being a blind spot. But got the tickets on the $4.14 4/14 flash deal which was a steal. But its a good venue to watch a game and the roof was nice again last night.

Paid $20 after fees for advanced preferred parking. Pretty short walk to and from the car. Still a little cluster getting out of there with cars merging from all directions, but was on I-94 within 15 minutes even if felt like 30.

Check out a game this year. Tickets have been reasonable, the team is solid so far, and its usually an enjoyable time. I hope to get to 2-3 more this year.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#18 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri May 12, 2023 4:01 pm

So far for 2023, the Brewers are averaging 28,404/game per ESPN which is 14th in baseball. Last year the Crew averaged around 30,000 depending on if look at ESPN or Pro Baseball Reference. I would say they're in position to exceed last year with summer on the horizon and should be in playoff mix in September if don't sell off at the deadline.

I believe I saw MLB as a whole has seen an up tick in attendance. I think pace of play is helpful. So far Brewers games are 35 minutes faster than last season.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Re: American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion 

Post#19 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon May 22, 2023 3:59 pm

Anybody ever go to Kansas City for a game? Or to that area? Thinking about checking off a stadium this summer and we leaning towards KC. Obviously will try to do some bbq joints. Would be a family trip so vibrant night life not required, lol. Think that would be Power & Light District.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Re: American Family Field / MLB Stadium Discussion 

Post#20 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 24, 2023 10:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Milwaukee Brewers