ImageImage

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Pick 2: Who do you want to manage the Brewers in 2024?

Pat Murphy
25%
Brewers Front Office (R. Weeks/C.Villanueva)
36%
Mark Kotsay
4%
Don Mattingly
7%
Gabe Kapler
7%
David Ross
4%
Clayton McCollough
4%
Joe Espada (Out - Houston Astros)
4%
Troy Snitker
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,682

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates - CC to the Cubs 

Post#341 » by Matches Malone » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:39 pm

Read on Twitter

@CyrtHogg
Craig Counsell, when asked by @AdamMcCalvy, says he has considered a new challenge outside of Milwaukee for the last two seasons.

Read on Twitter

@CyrtHogg
Asked Counsell if there was a mental hurdle at all of switching from MKE to Chicago given the history with the Brewers: "I didn't see it like that. Maybe I underestimated that part of it, frankly...I certainly respect (that view)."
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,065

Post#342 » by MVP2110 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:44 pm

Counsell making himself look so much worse with this press conference
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,936

Post#343 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:48 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

@CyrtHogg
Craig Counsell, when asked by @AdamMcCalvy, says he has considered a new challenge outside of Milwaukee for the last two seasons.

Read on Twitter

@CyrtHogg
Asked Counsell if there was a mental hurdle at all of switching from MKE to Chicago given the history with the Brewers: "I didn't see it like that. Maybe I underestimated that part of it, frankly...I certainly respect (that view)."

I don't think there's any answer or quote he could give that could totally absolve the betrayal but he's really making himself look like a dumb fraud with this.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,503

Post#344 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:49 pm

Piss off Greg
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,074

Post#345 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:58 pm

Man, **** this guy.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#346 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

@CyrtHogg

This one in particular pisses me off. Love when the manager freely admits he had part of his focus on getting out of Milwaukee during two extremely competitive playoff years.

So **** over this ****. We all understand that like 99% of the time there's no actual super deep real bonds left between a player, coach, or manager and a city/community but Counsell was firmly in that 1% where I thought it still applied. Probably why this still has me fired up.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,148

Post#347 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:19 pm

Refuse to listen to or watch the presser but the snippets from Twitter show Craig smiling as big and wide as I've ever seen.

Again, any other club and its "thank you for everything, best of luck." But for him to fully understand the rich big brother/poor little brother dynamic between Chicago and Milwaukee, the inferiority complex Wisconsin sports fans have because of it, and how that affects which fans can afford to attend a high stakes Brewers-Cubs game in Milwaukee, and still choosing to manage the Chicago Cubs, is the lowest of low.

Go. F**k. Yourself, Craig.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#348 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:04 pm

Attanasio has to love this as CC just continues to bury himself. Super disappointing that he admitted he has been looking elsewhere for a few seasons. Its not like we were sitting on a 70 win team…
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#349 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:13 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=JhCjYApM_DaDEUj7KB25zQ&s=19

"The Milwaukee Brewers, who are strongly considering promoting bench coach Pat Murphy, also have their eyes on Mike Shildt if he’s not hired by the San Diego Padres."

"The Houston Astros are expected to promote Joe Espada to be their manager on Monday."

Shildt had a pretty good run with the Cardinals, at least on paper. Apoeared to maybe butt heads with front office over time. Probably worth talking to though.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,503

Post#350 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:21 pm

I wonder if CC asked out of his contract in the past year or two and Attanasio told him to pound sand. On one hand I'd agree with Mark if that's what happened. On the other hand I wouldn't want to be paying someone to manage that was already looking to get out.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,206

Post#351 » by skones » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 pm

After digesting.

As much as it sucks that he went to a rival, CC DID make a career move for himself. He got to stay close to home, doesn't have to uproot his life entirely, and gets that big budget that you need to win in this league. Yeah it got messy, but it's hard for me to really have some deep hatred for the guy when he did what he did in 9 seasons with the deck stacked against him in a small market.

Messy sure, but I find it disingenuous to sit here and act like Counsell should have done the fan base a favor in not doing what's best for him personally. Take the team names out of the equation and put it in a vacuum. Who here would honestly just eschew the job with more resources and higher pay? Like it or not, it's a business decision for him, and it's not a bad one.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#352 » by neiLz » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:46 pm

CC should have just been honest and said, he doesn't think this team can win a title without spending more. If he was looking for other "challenges" that means he's looking for a WS ring as the brewers got to within a game of the WS. it's a much better look than "i wanted another challenge and didn't know milwaukee fans would hate me"

**** CC and **** Mark A.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#353 » by MVP2110 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:48 pm

skones wrote:After digesting.

As much as it sucks that he went to a rival, CC DID make a career move for himself. He got to stay close to home, doesn't have to uproot his life entirely, and gets that big budget that you need to win in this league. Yeah it got messy, but it's hard for me to really have some deep hatred for the guy when he did what he did in 9 seasons with the deck stacked against him in a small market.

Messy sure, but I find it disingenuous to sit here and act like Counsell should have done the fan base a favor in not doing what's best for him personally. Take the team names out of the equation and put it in a vacuum. Who here would honestly just eschew the job with more resources and higher pay? Like it or not, it's a business decision for him, and it's not a bad one.

For any other manager I'd agree. Counsell wasn't any other manager though. As fans we root for the team name on the front of the jersey, and Counsell claimed to be one of us. He didn't talk about the Brewers as just another place to be, he talked about how the Brewers were who he was. I get that it's a business, but to ditch the team you reportedly grew up rooting for and a team that you claimed to be part of your fabric, for their biggest rival. It just doesn't feel right even if it made the most business sense.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#354 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:55 pm

skones wrote:Messy sure, but I find it disingenuous to sit here and act like Counsell should have done the fan base a favor in not doing what's best for him personally. Take the team names out of the equation and put it in a vacuum. Who here would honestly just eschew the job with more resources and higher pay? Like it or not, it's a business decision for him, and it's not a bad one.

I disagree with the idea (and it's not just trying to come at you as I've it seen from plenty of others) that we can group everyone together into this neat little box where we should take all the emotion out of it as sports fans and boil it down to a purely a financial decision because "who wouldn't do the same thing for more money" like that's the only thing that matters to everyone. Does it matter to a lot of people, the majority of people, probably yes. But people absolutely do things for reasons beyond financial aspects and I personally (foolishly I guess) thought Counsell's connection to Milwaukee and to the Brewers exceeded purely financial motivations.
skones
RealGM

Post#355 » by skones » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:56 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
For any other manager I'd agree. Counsell wasn't any other manager though. As fans we root for the team name on the front of the jersey, and Counsell claimed to be one of us. He didn't talk about the Brewers as just another place to be, he talked about how the Brewers were who he was. I get that it's a business, but to ditch the team you reportedly grew up rooting for and a team that you claimed to be part of your fabric, for their biggest rival. It just doesn't feel right even if it made the most business sense.

So it's fine for any other manager EXCEPT for yours? That's the sticking point here. Counsell is STILL a Wisconsinite, and will always be a Brewer. Dude gave 15 years of his life as a player/manager in this organization. That's A LOT of time and a substantial commitment anyway you slice it, but some are acting as if he owes more to this franchise. That just sounds crazy to me.
skones
RealGM

Post#356 » by skones » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:58 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
skones wrote:Messy sure, but I find it disingenuous to sit here and act like Counsell should have done the fan base a favor in not doing what's best for him personally. Take the team names out of the equation and put it in a vacuum. Who here would honestly just eschew the job with more resources and higher pay? Like it or not, it's a business decision for him, and it's not a bad one.

I disagree with the idea (and it's not just trying to come at you as I've it seen from plenty of others) that we can group everyone together into this neat little box where we should take all the emotion out of it as sports fans and boil it down to a purely a financial decision because "who wouldn't do the same thing for more money" like that's the only thing that matters to everyone. Does it matter to a lot of people, the majority of people, probably yes. But people absolutely do things for reasons beyond financial aspects and I personally (foolishly I guess) thought Counsell's connection to Milwaukee and to the Brewers exceeded purely financial motivations.

He doesn't have to entirely uproot his life, can commute to Chicago, and that makes it A LOT more than "purely financial." It's pretty clear there are motivations there that go beyond the cash even if he got the cash too. And yeah, this is baseball, higher budgets also means a better chance to get over the hump and win it all. This is deeper than grubby little cash grab hands.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#357 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 pm

skones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

So it's fine for any other manager EXCEPT for yours? That's the sticking point here. Counsell is STILL a Wisconsinite, and will always be a Brewer. Dude gave 15 years of his life as a player/manager in this organization. That's A LOT of time and a substantial commitment anyway you slice it, but some are acting as if he owes more to this franchise. That just sounds crazy to me.

I've seen this argument play out several times on Twitter, etc, etc. I think it's one of those unique situations that just really highlights a person's own views on being emotionally tied to professional sports. I think people who literally can just operate like this is any other normal thing and minimize their emotional investment can more easily detach themselves from that side of it and say "of course this was a sound business decision it makes all the sense in the world". Then there are others who view the connection to the Brewers and Milwaukee in this specific case as much more difficult to immediately separate emotionally from just pure cold business.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#358 » by MVP2110 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:05 pm

skones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

As a generic manager what Counsell did was smart, calculates, and cold blooded(specifically towards David Ross). But I can honestly say as a Brewer fan if the Cubs(or any company based in Chicago) offered me my same job for twice what I make I would turn it down. I like living in Wisconsin and do not want to live in Chicago, period. Counsell claimed to be apart of this team's fanbase. I'm willing to bet if you polled how the fanbase would feel about Counsell right now it'd largely be a negative viewpoint. Sure what I'm saying isn't the most logical take in the world, but fandom isn't logical. Fandom is cheering for the name on the front of the jersey and hating your rivals, Counsell betrayed that sentiment after he claimed to be one of us. So yes I think it's perfectly reasonable to hate him for it
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#359 » by M-C-G » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 pm

Eh. I think he is a good manager, I’m slightly bummed he went to the cubs but I also don’t care that much. Feel like if we wanted him there was a dollar amount to keep him, seems the team didn’t want to pay that price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,682

Post#360 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:13 pm

The CC quote about "underestimating" the amount of backlash from Brewers fans is either blatant lying or unfathomably dense.

Anyways, over that douche. As for the Mike Shildt thing, I've never been able to get over how much of a doofus he looks like with a cap on. Looks like a normal middleaged white guy with no cap on, but with a cap on he looks like Dark Helmet to me.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers