ImageImage

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Pick 2: Who do you want to manage the Brewers in 2024?

Pat Murphy
25%
Brewers Front Office (R. Weeks/C.Villanueva)
36%
Mark Kotsay
4%
Don Mattingly
7%
Gabe Kapler
7%
David Ross
4%
Clayton McCollough
4%
Joe Espada (Out - Houston Astros)
4%
Troy Snitker
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod 

Post#421 » by MVP2110 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Maybe Weeks will pull a Stotts and bail before the season starts.

I am fairly curious if this is another arranged marriage or if Murphy is fully on board with Weeks as his #2
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,516

Post#422 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:44 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Maybe Weeks will pull a Stotts and bail before the season starts.

I am fairly curious if this is another arranged marriage or if Murphy is fully on board with Weeks as his #2

Me too and if there is an agreed upon timeframe. I'm guessing 1-2 years tops.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#423 » by MVP2110 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:56 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Yea I'd love to known the behind on the scenes on this one.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#424 » by LittleRooster » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:31 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I’m thinking of that too. Murphy is on a 3 year deal, so probably don’t want him as a lame duck his last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,189

Post#425 » by wallus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:
wallus wrote:Just because Rickie doesn't give a good interview doesn't mean he can't coach.

Hence my let's see comment. I just think it is a weird fit given the kind of player he was. It would be like if someone told me Geoff Jenkins was named hitting coach. The guy would rather bat .100 than get rid of his leg kick. Or Ben Sheets being your bunting coach.

Happy to be wrong, just seems odd versus someone that was a really cerebral type player in their day. A guy like Jon Lucroy or Lorenzo Cain would have been more what I was expecting.

What made him a low iq player?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,691

Post#426 » by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:09 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#427 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:56 am

Awkward, still pretty cool.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#428 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:11 am

wallus wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
wallus wrote:Just because Rickie doesn't give a good interview doesn't mean he can't coach.

Hence my let's see comment. I just think it is a weird fit given the kind of player he was. It would be like if someone told me Geoff Jenkins was named hitting coach. The guy would rather bat .100 than get rid of his leg kick. Or Ben Sheets being your bunting coach.

Happy to be wrong, just seems odd versus someone that was a really cerebral type player in their day. A guy like Jon Lucroy or Lorenzo Cain would have been more what I was expecting.

Not a high IQ in my own opinion. Just my collective opinion from the past. I never felt like Weeks, Hart, Fielder or Sheets were particularly high IQ guys. Might be his approach, might be his defense, might be his unwillingness to try another position to extend his career, frankly I’m not sure but him not being a high IQ player is where I am at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#429 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:31 pm

M-C-G wrote:
wallus wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Not a high IQ in my own opinion. Just my collective opinion from the past. I never felt like Weeks, Hart, Fielder or Sheets were particularly high IQ guys. Might be his approach, might be his defense, might be his unwillingness to try another position to extend his career, frankly I’m not sure but him not being a high IQ player is where I am at.

I think Rickie was kind of yip-prone, but he was one of the only patient hitters on the team in that era. Granted, that's not saying much, but it was nice to see someone besides Prince draw a walk on that team of free-swingers. Staying at 2B was probably more of a self-interest thing than a low-IQ thing, and you could cynically argue that it was actually smart to refuse.

The whole era in general was extremely low-IQ though. I agree with that premise wholeheartedly, but I think Prince, Hart, Yuni, Gomez, Plush, Segura, and even "batting average Braun" were bigger culprits than Weeks. Braun and Fielder were the ones who really drove me nuts because they were supposed to be leaders, but as talented as they were, they didn't set good examples for being a smarter, more disciplined team. Hell, I still wish they had trade Prince before he even came up so they could keep Hart at 1B. I think that alone would have made that era much less disappointing.

And yes, I am calling that era disappointing. They arguably amassed some of the best MiLB talent ever seen on any team in my lifetime and only had like 3 respectable playoff games.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#430 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:13 pm

Impossible to not like Rickie and Pat.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#431 » by BUCKnation » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:26 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
I think Rickie was kind of yip-prone, but he was one of the only patient hitters on the team in that era. Granted, that's not saying much, but it was nice to see someone besides Prince draw a walk on that team of free-swingers. Staying at 2B was probably more of a self-interest thing than a low-IQ thing, and you could cynically argue that it was actually smart to refuse.

The whole era in general was extremely low-IQ though. I agree with that premise wholeheartedly, but I think Prince, Hart, Yuni, Gomez, Plush, Segura, and even "batting average Braun" were bigger culprits than Weeks. Braun and Fielder were the ones who really drove me nuts because they were supposed to be leaders, but as talented as they were, they didn't set good examples for being a smarter, more disciplined team. Hell, I still wish they had trade Prince before he even came up so they could keep Hart at 1B. I think that alone would have made that era much less disappointing.

And yes, I am calling that era disappointing. They arguably amassed some of the best MiLB talent ever seen on any team in my lifetime and only had like 3 respectable playoff games.

While I'd agree that the era was disappointing, mainly because they could never find pitching, which is the opposite of today. Cutting off Prince from ever playing for the Brewers in favor of Corey Hart is wild.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#432 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

While I'd agree that the era was disappointing, mainly because they could never find pitching, which is the opposite of today. Cutting off Prince from ever playing for the Brewers in favor of Corey Hart is wild.

"Cutting" is pretty unfair, don't you think? He would have fetched a haul, including perhaps the pitching they needed. And I could go on and on about why he was incredibly overrated as a Brewer and a big part of the disappointment, but it would be so long and so thorough that nobody would read it.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#433 » by MVP2110 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:41 pm

Pat Murphy definitely knows how to handle the media, that was evident. And Rickie with one of the best introductory statements I've ever heard. It's only a press conference so I'm not going to read too much into it but I'm on board
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,691

Post#434 » by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:58 pm

Hell yes, Rickie! This pumped me up lol

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?

Return to Milwaukee Brewers