ImageImage

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Pick 2: Who do you want to manage the Brewers in 2024?

Pat Murphy
25%
Brewers Front Office (R. Weeks/C.Villanueva)
36%
Mark Kotsay
4%
Don Mattingly
7%
Gabe Kapler
7%
David Ross
4%
Clayton McCollough
4%
Joe Espada (Out - Houston Astros)
4%
Troy Snitker
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod 

Post#1 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:24 pm

Branching away from players and having a specific Manager thread. Many believe Counsell will leave for New York or possibly just step away. Who are some candidates you want and/or think would get the job?

I have seen Carlos Villanueva mentioned as a Counsell like hire from front office. Pat Murphy is the current bench coach but assume he would maybe follow CC.

This would not be popular, but Gabe Kapler did play here and is a few seasons removed from manager of the year. But that is going down retread lane. Other past Managers include Phil Nevin and Don Mattingly.

I love Mark DeRosa on MLB Network and he was the USA WBC Manager. It seems like at some point he gets a gig if he chooses to leave the studio.

Clayton McCollough from LA Dodgers is a name I have seen, first base coach. Stephen Vogt from Seattle is another up and comer who I feel briefly played here a few years back.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates 

Post#2 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 5, 2023 5:26 pm

Bob Melvin was another that was close a few other times but sounds like San Diego is retaining him.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#3 » by BUCKnation » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:37 pm

I'd be good with Kapler. No clue on any non retreads.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 5, 2023 9:23 pm

I like Kapler a lot but I thought he would be a lot better as a manager.

Villanueva is the easy choice for me.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,514

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:02 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I like Kapler a lot but I thought he would be a lot better as a manager.

Curious why. Same career path as CC?
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:03 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I like Kapler a lot but I thought he would be a lot better as a manager.

Curious why. Same career path as CC?

Yup. Familiarity with the organization. If it isn't broke, don't fix it, etc.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,070

Post#7 » by humanrefutation » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:19 am

What's Phil Garner up to?
thonnisbeastley
Pro Prospect
And1: 674

Post#8 » by thonnisbeastley » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:13 am

If I'm Counsell and want to keep managing, there's no way I leave my childhood team that I could manage for 20+ years and become a legend of for a few extra $million a year. I will be extremely salty if he leaves to manage someone else. I grew up watching this guy knowing he was from Milwaukee, followed him his entire career and had a Counsell jersey back in the day.

That being said, while I love Counsell, he pisses me off almost every game. He makes 100% of his decisions based on analytics and will PH for a guy that is 2-2 with a BB and two doubles in the bottom of the 9th because it's technically the better matchup.

I get listening to the hype about yourself and thinking you can find a way to get the team with 3x the payroll of your current team over the hump but, let's be honest, managers don't move the needle that much. Then again, maybe he and his wife really love the big city and now with grown children out of the house have the opportunity to do what they've always wanted to do.

Hopefully our clubhouse can remain as tight as it is without Counsell, Burnes, and Adames potentially.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:26 am

162 games X 9+ innings = lots of decisions, some won't work out. He's done a fine job with limited resources.
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 221

Post#10 » by rayallenscalves » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:30 pm

Personally, I wouldn't blame Counsell if he left for NY. I think he has maximized the talent on this team year after year and may feel that he's never going to reach the World Series in MKE. I can certainly see the attraction of going from a $100 million team to a $350 million team. It's not just that he himself is getting paid more, it's that he's put in a better position to win.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:47 pm

rayallenscalves wrote:Personally, I wouldn't blame Counsell if he left for NY. I think he has maximized the talent on this team year after year and may feel that he's never going to reach the World Series in MKE. I can certainly see the attraction of going from a $100 million team to a $350 million team. It's not just that he himself is getting paid more, it's that he's put in a better position to win.

Definitely. Spending money doesn't guarantee success (Mets, Yankees, Padres this year) but it allows you to rebuild on the fly. If a player(s) doesn't work out you just get more players.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#12 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 6, 2023 4:57 pm

rayallenscalves wrote:Personally, I wouldn't blame Counsell if he left for NY. I think he has maximized the talent on this team year after year and may feel that he's never going to reach the World Series in MKE. I can certainly see the attraction of going from a $100 million team to a $350 million team. It's not just that he himself is getting paid more, it's that he's put in a better position to win.

Exactly. 1 injury may not be crippling. Also have the chance to retain talent. The Brewers usually know any high tier player is gone once they hit free agency after arby years are done.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:16 pm

I see Kapler as a "top" name in the media but I don't really get it. His teams have made the playoffs just once in 6 years. That one year the Giants won an amazing 107 games and then lost in the NLDS.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Post#14 » by MVP2110 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I see Kapler as a "top" name in the media but I don't really get it. His teams have made the playoffs just once in 6 years. That one year the Giants won an amazing 107 games and then lost in the NLDS.

I agree, while Kapler wouldn't be my last choice he certainly would be uninspiring.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#15 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:39 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I see Kapler as a "top" name in the media but I don't really get it. His teams have made the playoffs just once in 6 years. That one year the Giants won an amazing 107 games and then lost in the NLDS.

I agree, while Kapler wouldn't be my last choice he certainly would be uninspiring.

Agreed. It seems like in both his stops he was super unpopular with the fanbase and assume the team leadership as he has been **** canned. Just seems like a retread type hire albeit he is not super removed from the game, playing wise. Would not be my top choice either.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:08 pm

I've followed Kapler on socials long before he was ever a manager so that's largely what my opinion of him is based on. I think a lot of him, but I can definitely see how his personality and ways of going about the game would rub people wrong.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#17 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:58 pm

The longer this goes do you think it makes more or less likely that Counsell is back? I kind of feel he would have announced if he was stepping down. Unless the Brewers/Counsell both know and are just waiting for World Series to be over to not take away from it. Although would think that would leak.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#18 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:12 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:The longer this goes do you think it makes more or less likely that Counsell is back? I kind of feel he would have announced if he was stepping down. Unless the Brewers/Counsell both know and are just waiting for World Series to be over to not take away from it. Although would think that would leak.

His contract runs through the WS. I'd think if he was coming back or taking a break they would have announced it already. If he's going to another team he'd have to wait until his contract expired. But he truly hasn't decided yet.

And you're right, they try to limit "big news" until after the WS but leaks always happen.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:49 pm

The New York Mets have at least a chance of signing manager Craig Counsell away from the Milwaukee Brewers, according to a report.

Counsell deferred extension talks with the Brewers in the spring, although some still believe he'll eventually re-sign with the club if they offer him a fair deal.

"If he was going to stay, they'd already have signed him," one NL executive said.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,001

Post#20 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:54 pm

“if they offer him a fair deal” - what are the odds of that? Someone needs to help Mark find his wallet…
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."

Return to Milwaukee Brewers