ImageImage

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Pick 2: Who do you want to manage the Brewers in 2024?

Pat Murphy
25%
Brewers Front Office (R. Weeks/C.Villanueva)
36%
Mark Kotsay
4%
Don Mattingly
7%
Gabe Kapler
7%
David Ross
4%
Clayton McCollough
4%
Joe Espada (Out - Houston Astros)
4%
Troy Snitker
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod 

Post#401 » by LUKE23 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:32 pm

I don’t think the retool/rebuild will take long if they can find a couple more young pitchers. For bats they are stacked in the farm system.

Currently, you are figuring Peralta, Gasser, Rodriguez, Ashby are future rotation pieces. Really need a high ceiling arm for Burnes even if they are at the lower levels.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#402 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:44 pm

I can’t imagine Murphy is signing up for a bottom out 90-100 loss teams especially with a contingency plan in place. I don’t expect us to be free spenders but i do think they go into next year trying to be formidable. Like if trade Burnes, may try to get young MLB ready guys in return. I think its going to be let the young guys play, cash out a few vets, and try doing a competitive retool.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,065

Post#403 » by MVP2110 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:45 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:I can’t imagine Murphy is signing up for a bottom out 90-100 loss teams especially with a contingency plan in place. I don’t expect us to be free spenders but i do think they go into next year trying to be formidable. Like if trade Burnes, may try to get young MLB ready guys in return. I think its going to be let the young guys play, cash out a few vets, and try doing a competitive retool.

Eh I don't think Murphy has much leverage here. While he's had occasional other interviews for open managerial positions it's not like he's a hot name other teams are tripping over themselves to get. This is probably the best chance he'll ever have of being an MLB manager and so he took it
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,073

Post#404 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:55 pm

He's got familiarity with the organization and a history of coaching young, developing players. He's now gonna get a shot to manage his own team again with a nice pay bump. I'm sure he's more than happy to guide the Brewers through a rebuild.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#405 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:07 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:I can’t imagine Murphy is signing up for a bottom out 90-100 loss teams especially with a contingency plan in place. I don’t expect us to be free spenders but i do think they go into next year trying to be formidable. Like if trade Burnes, may try to get young MLB ready guys in return. I think its going to be let the young guys play, cash out a few vets, and try doing a competitive retool.

Eh I don't think Murphy has much leverage here. While he's had occasional other interviews for open managerial positions it's not like he's a hot name other teams are tripping over themselves to get. This is probably the best chance he'll ever have of being an MLB manager and so he took it

No, I certainly agree this was clearly his only shot at a Manager job. My thought process is more the line of he is in his mid-60s and likely has enough retirement cash to walk away, or maybe even stay with CC to Chicago. If the Brewers came to him and said we’re dumping all the veterans for minor league prospects, does he want to deal with a 90 loss team especially knowing he likely does not see the fruit of the labor? Maybe he is just happy with the pay bump and cool with having the gig, but as a competitor I could see a scenario where if they presented a full scale rebuild that maybe he just opts to move on vs deal with the stresses of a long ass losing baseball season where people will point finger at you for alot of it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#406 » by MVP2110 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:08 pm

-In college as a Manager Murphy went 947-400-2.
-As a manager in the minors he went 320-252 in 5 years
-His 1 year as interim manager with the Padres he went 42-54

He has alot of experience and success as being the head guy in charge. Will this translate to success in the majors? Who knows
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Brewster
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#407 » by Brewster » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:48 pm

I don't mind Pat Murphy getting hired as the manager. What concerns me is Rickie Weeks getting fast tracked to be the next manager. What has he done that he's getting this kind of push?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#408 » by MVP2110 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:08 pm

Brewster wrote:I don't mind Pat Murphy getting hired as the manager. What concerns me is Rickie Weeks getting fast tracked to be the next manager. What has he done that he's getting this kind of push?

We have no idea what ideas or concepts Weeks has relayed in his time with the Front office. Counsell originally came from a front office background after his playing days and it's possible that Rickie has shown behind the scenes to be able to grasp things in a similar way that Counsell was. I think it's safe to assume he showed something within the organization to impress people. That certainly doesn't mean he'll succeed but there's like a reason he is getting this opportunity
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#409 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Brewster wrote:I don't mind Pat Murphy getting hired as the manager. What concerns me is Rickie Weeks getting fast tracked to be the next manager. What has he done that he's getting this kind of push?

We have no idea what ideas or concepts Weeks has relayed in his time with the Front office. Counsell originally came from a front office background after his playing days and it's possible that Rickie has shown behind the scenes to be able to grasp things in a similar way that Counsell was. I think it's safe to assume he showed something within the organization to impress people. That certainly doesn't mean he'll succeed but there's like a reason he is getting this opportunity
Yeah I don't know how fans really have opinions on these guys. If a guys has managed before or even been a hitting or pitching coach then you at least have some track record judge. With these guys in behind the scenes front office or coaching we have nothing to go on. They might be geniuses or idiots but I don't know how the hell an average fan can make that determination.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#410 » by M-C-G » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:15 am

I always considered Weeks a very low IQ player. So him being bench coach surprises me. But let’s see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wallus
Rookie
And1: 1,189

Post#411 » by wallus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:02 am

Just because Rickie doesn't give a good interview doesn't mean he can't coach.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#412 » by M-C-G » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:40 pm

wallus wrote:Just because Rickie doesn't give a good interview doesn't mean he can't coach.

Hence my let's see comment. I just think it is a weird fit given the kind of player he was. It would be like if someone told me Geoff Jenkins was named hitting coach. The guy would rather bat .100 than get rid of his leg kick. Or Ben Sheets being your bunting coach.

Happy to be wrong, just seems odd versus someone that was a really cerebral type player in their day. A guy like Jon Lucroy or Lorenzo Cain would have been more what I was expecting.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,073

Post#413 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Not a bench coach but an associate manager. Interesting, haven't heard that a lot.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#414 » by MVP2110 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not a bench coach but an associate manager. Interesting, haven't heard that a lot.

Yea the title that he was given certainly is interesting and leans into the idea that he's being groomed to eventually take over
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#415 » by LittleRooster » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:47 pm

I’m guessing Arnold wanted Weeks but the players said they wanted Murphy. This is the compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#416 » by neiLz » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:44 pm

LittleRooster wrote:I’m guessing Arnold wanted Weeks but the players said they wanted Murphy. This is the compromise

Or Mark A was like "how can i fill my coaching staff with everyone from last year so i dont have to pay the guys i fired plus a new staff because im a horrible owner" so he kept everyone, promoted murphy and brought on weeks to take over in a few years.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by MVP2110 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:12 pm

neiLz wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:I’m guessing Arnold wanted Weeks but the players said they wanted Murphy. This is the compromise

Or Mark A was like "how can i fill my coaching staff with everyone from last year so i dont have to pay the guys i fired plus a new staff because im a horrible owner" so he kept everyone, promoted murphy and brought on weeks to take over in a few years.

Most of the coaches reupped this offseason. It wouldn't have cost anything to replace them if the Brewers wanted to
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,936

Post#418 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:27 pm

neiLz wrote:

Yeah what a horrible owner to want to retain a coaching staff that has largely done good work and kept a good culture in place for the organization. You really exposed him.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,484

Post#419 » by neiLz » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:32 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
neiLz wrote:

Yeah what a horrible owner to want to retain a coaching staff that has largely done good work and kept a good culture in place for the organization. You really exposed him.

Hey let me have my irrational takes!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,502

Post#420 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:29 pm

Maybe Weeks will pull a Stotts and bail before the season starts.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers