MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,620

Brewers/Twins Series 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:05 pm

Tuesday (home opener) - 3:10 - Junis vs. Varland
Wednesday - 12:10 - Ross vs. Paddack
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,065

Re: Brewers/Twins Series 

Post#2 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:10 pm

Would think this weekend should get people pretty jacked and guarantee a sellout. Hopefully can keep it rolling. Back end of rotation so who knows.

Hopefully the new parking process goes well for those attending.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,090

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:15 pm

Having it on a Tuesday won't help.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:42 pm

It's interesting that opening day no longer sells out in advance. Opening days are always weekdays. And up until the last few years it would not only sell out well in advance, they made a big deal out of including opening day in their partial packages to make sure you could get a ticket. When single game tickets went on sale there would be long lines.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,080

Post#5 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's interesting that opening day no longer sells out in advance. Opening days are always weekdays. And up until the last few years it would not only sell out well in advance, they made a big deal out of including opening day in their partial packages to make sure you could get a ticket. When single game tickets went on sale there would be long lines.

I get very mixed messages from the fanbase. It seems that fielding a good team has sort of become expected and while the fanbase as a whole isn't necessarily turned off by the Brewers they don't seem to be as excited as they once were either despite the team consistently being good. A deep playoff run would get the fanbase excited I'd imagine but outside of that it seems like it's a mix of being excited for young guys while also disliking ownership for not spending enough $ and overall plateauing at a level of good but not great.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#6 » by M-C-G » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:59 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:It's interesting that opening day no longer sells out in advance. Opening days are always weekdays. And up until the last few years it would not only sell out well in advance, they made a big deal out of including opening day in their partial packages to make sure you could get a ticket. When single game tickets went on sale there would be long lines.

I get very mixed messages from the fanbase. It seems that fielding a good team has sort of become expected and while the fanbase as a whole isn't necessarily turned off by the Brewers they don't seem to be as excited as they once were either despite the team consistently being good. A deep playoff run would get the fanbase excited I'd imagine but outside of that it seems like it's a mix of being excited for young guys while also disliking ownership for not spending enough $ and overall plateauing at a level of good but not great.

I think you are seeing the impact of games not being televised other than Ballys. Having this discussion yesterday, when I grew up even if I wasn’t watching the games, it was ok the TV at the house, which would lead to wanting to go to games.

My neighborhood has a lot of big time sports fan dads, but only a handful actually have Ballys. And that is literally their target demographic.

As long as that demographic doesn’t watch games regularly you are going to see attendance continue to dry up in my opinion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,080

Post#7 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:09 pm

M-C-G wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I think you are seeing the impact of games not being televised other than Ballys. Having this discussion yesterday, when I grew up even if I wasn’t watching the games, it was ok the TV at the house, which would lead to wanting to go to games.

My neighborhood has a lot of big time sports fan dads, but only a handful actually have Ballys. And that is literally their target demographic.

As long as that demographic doesn’t watch games regularly you are going to see attendance continue to dry up in my opinion

Maybe, but the same Bally's issues holds true for the Bucks and many people still pay top dollar to go see them and I'd imagine that'd be true if the Brewers were among the elite in MLB. We saw similar stuff with Badger football where despite them being very good for a long time they just recently sold the most season tickets in a long timewith the Fickell era bringing more "excitement" then the previous era of winning did.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,335

Post#8 » by jute2003 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:18 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Maybe, but the same Bally's issues holds true for the Bucks and many people still pay top dollar to go see them and I'd imagine that'd be true if the Brewers were among the elite in MLB. We saw similar stuff with Badger football where despite them being very good for a long time they just recently sold the most season tickets in a long timewith the Fickell era bringing more "excitement" then the previous era of winning did.
Just like anything else, I'm sure it's caused by a combination of things. My excitement is certainly lessened because it's so much more difficult to watch games. There's some complacency because things have gotten stale as well. This new crop of youngins Hopefully helps. There's also a matter of the ridiculous payroll discrepancies.

Also covid...There's a lot of things I used to do regularly before that I got out of the habit of doing...like live music and sporting events, movies and theater, etc.
only a fan, only an opinion
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#9 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:51 pm

I think there's probably a lot of different avenues you could take in this regard, some of which have already been mentioned.

In no particular order:
- Price of Admission / Parking / Food & Beverage at the games has gone up exponentially over the years. For example, 2014 the average ticket price for a Brewers game (link) was $24.96, where as for 2023 jumped to $31.74 .. $6.78 doesn't seem like much, but using my household as an example, for a family of 4, that's an extra $27.12 right off the bat.
- Televised coverage of games. BallySports is really just not a good service. For the $20/month I get it's really the only way to watch, but I think a lot of people would rather just throw 620AM on and be more productive while listening to the game. If there is a "big game", I think people are more inclined to head to a bar and watch, just given the sheer # of games in a season.
- Stars bring out casual fans. Not having "stars" diminishes some of those ticket sales. Yes, Yelich is a "star" player, but i think some casual fans get caught up in name value. I think we're on our way, and Churio has a real crack at reaching Yelich Level or perhaps bit more, but time will tell obviously.

Just 3 talking points, there are several other possible explanations. I'll be attending, but myself even being a big Brewers fan, was 50/50 on if I even wanted to go this year.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,065

Post#10 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Having it on a Tuesday won't help.

Not sure about Milwaukee but talking snow storm tonight through Thursday AM in central/NE Wisconsin for sure. If that extends into MKE that may affect crowds I guess.

I do agree its weird opening day isn’t what it used to be. It was always the focal point of ticket packages. Even back in the 90s when had mediocre squads and an old open air stadium, opening day was a guaranteed sellout even during the week. Hard to say what 1 thing changed that.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,731

Post#11 » by msiris » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:38 am

wouldn't a night game be better? say 6pm????
Ride the tank
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:29 pm

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:50 pm

Initial reports are the new parking system is a cluster **** so far. And parking "ambassadors" seem to be scarce in the rain :lol:

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,762

Post#14 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:51 pm

Even at 90 this man's voice is in peak condition.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#15 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:18 pm

Willy playing great so far this year. I'm going to be bummed when we move him at the deadline lol.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:19 pm

Bat off your shoulder, Sal.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,946

Post#17 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:22 pm

Frelick looks way off to start the year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:31 pm

Wow, nice mix.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#19 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:39 pm

Turangs been swinging a nice bat since I said he's an automatic out. Good stuff!
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#20 » by jimmybones » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:39 pm

Just bat Hoskins 4th already bro

Return to Milwaukee Brewers