Trade Deadline

Moderator: Ralnor

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Trade Deadline 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:08 pm

Anyone expect us to make any moves? Call me crazy, but I think we might.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NewWulf
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Trade Deadline 

Post#2 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 5, 2008 2:42 am

klomp44 wrote:Anyone expect us to make any moves? Call me crazy, but I think we might.
I think it's a definite possibility. I'd expect us to go after a reliever. Another longshot possibility is to make a run at Hank Blalock.

Right now, I think the Twins' rotation is solid & our hitters are improving. DY is 12 for 27 since June 27 so he's really kicking it into high gear.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 5, 2008 4:16 am

We are supposedly monitoring the status of Freddy Garcia: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Personally, I don't think we should tinker with the rotation. If anything we should add another right handed bat.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#4 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 5, 2008 5:21 am

klomp44 wrote:We are supposedly monitoring the status of Freddy Garcia: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb

Personally, I don't think we should tinker with the rotation. If anything we should add another right handed bat.
I agree that the rotation is good to go. I'm most worried about our bullpen. They're great for awhile, then they blow up for 2-3 days.

If our bullpen doesn't get more consistent, then we aren't a serious contender. PERIOD.
NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#5 » by NewWulf » Sun Jul 6, 2008 2:01 am

I was just watching the Twins telecast & Dick mentioned that Casey Blake might be a nice fit for the Twins: versatile, good teammate, righthanded hitter, plays third, first, OF. Makes sense to me. Dick said that he hadn't heard anything, just that he though it made sense.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:24 am

Interesting. I agree, it does make sense. That could just be because he used to be a Twin, though. He's an offensive upgrade, and he hasn't struggled on either side of the plate. I hope we can get something done. While I don't mind Buscher, I don't really want to sit around waiting for him to develop.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:08 pm

Buscher's 27, he's not really developing, he's already developed. He's also playing well, probably over his head. I'm more worried about what happens when the bottom falls out.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:32 pm

On PA and Dubay, they are discussing Cuddyer and how he will fit on this team when healthy.

TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#9 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:42 am

Cuddyer's sort of had an off year. He isn't protected by having Morneau and Hunter behind him anymore. I don't know what I mean when I said that but I think it makes sense.

I think his trade value is kind of low right now. He's a huge guy for us as far as a leader and clubhouse presence. He's an all-around good guy. I never entertained the thought of trading him until some callers on KFAN brought it up. Keep Cuddy around, we need the RH bats and he's a good fielder.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:58 pm

On Sportscenter, they just said we're the division team that needs to make a move. He said we should go after Beltre. Only problem I see with that is his $13 mil salary. He would instantly become our highest paid player by almost 5 million dollars. I would rather go after someone like Casey Blake, who makes about 6 million

TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#11 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm content with our position players the way they are. What we really need is a reliever. And I don't like the idea of us trading for one because our organization is known for developing pitchers.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:38 am

I think that the reliever could be fixed by when Liriano is called up. to put him in the bullpen.

NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#13 » by NewWulf » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:53 am

klomp44 wrote:I think that the reliever could be fixed by when Liriano is called up. to put him in the bullpen.

I just watched the Sports Show & one of the guys thought that Liriano would be traded. Reusse said that he's wasting innings at AAA. He's getting his velocity back on his fastball, which likekly means his slider's working its way back to unhittable. Reusse also said that Gardy's told them that Liriano won't be the 8th inning guy.

I can see the Tigers being sellers this season. That means that Brandon Inge is likely available. They wouldn't trade him here but I could see them trading him to Texas, which would make Blalock available. He'd make the lineup alot better.

Still, I think they need another solid reliever, preferably a power arm.

I've said before that I think Casey Blake would be a good addition, too. He's a good teammate from all accounts. He plays everywhere, especially third & he's got some pop in his bat.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:22 pm

I don't really like Blalock here because hes another leftie.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#15 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm

And because he's always hurt. We can afford Beltre, we're like 20 million under last years payroll. If you look at the numbers though, Blake might be better than Beltre at a cheaper price.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#16 » by daddyfivestar » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Garret Atkins anyone? This has to be a hugely disappointing season for the Rockies - and there is some solid pitching depth in the system that might attract them.
NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#17 » by NewWulf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 am

Worm Guts wrote:And because he's always hurt. We can afford Beltre, we're like 20 million under last years payroll. If you look at the numbers though, Blake might be better than Beltre at a cheaper price.
I could easily live with Beltre or Blake. Blake's a better fit salary-wise but Beltre's the better defensive infielder by far.

Return to Minnesota Twins