ImageImageImageImageImage

Why are we so god*mn old?

gnarlyrun
Starter
And1: 0

Why are we so god*mn old? 

Post#1 » by gnarlyrun » Tue May 1, 2007 8:18 pm

Obviously our roster has a lot of talent and I like it to at least clinch the wildcard, but what's the deal with Omar assembling the oldest team in the league? I really don't get it. Every series we play these teams loaded with and actually PLAYING their young talent (esp. Atlanta) while we START Alou, Green, Valentin, and Delgado; SUB Easley and Franco; PITCH Glavine and Martinez. Soon El Duque and Jose are carted off, Alou's shoulder is hanging by a thread...

How did we not see this coming? Did we really think the oldest team in the league would not break down? I guess this thread is a little obvious...I just don't want to watch the wheels fall off this nursing home.

LGMs
majorleads
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2 » by majorleads » Tue May 1, 2007 9:15 pm

I hear ya, but Omar just arrived a couple of years ago and is building an incredible farm system. In the meantime, he brought in some quality veterans to hold down the fort while our youngsters gain experience. You cannot saddle your roster with too many long term bloated contracts, which would have been the case had Omar gone after more of the younger fa's. That would be running the Mets the way Isiah Thomas runs the Knicks. No roster flexibility if things go bad.
pdxblazers92087
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#3 » by pdxblazers92087 » Tue May 1, 2007 9:45 pm

because older productive players are a lot cheaper than younger ones? Also there hasnt been a hell of a lot of young players on the market that would come close to matching what our older ones. Another reason is experience. With guys like Reyes & Wright its nice to balance them out with some older experienced players. Just like a lot of people say i'm sure Valentine playing SS earlier in his career has only helped Reyes. The mets are also being cautious with a lot of the older players health now to make sure they can play come playoff time.
netsforever
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#4 » by netsforever » Thu May 3, 2007 12:52 am

Jose Reyes, David Wright, John Maine, Aaron Heilman... maybe Beltran?

soon: Lastings Milledge, Hernandez, Pelfrey, Humber...
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,981

Post#5 » by Manhattan Project » Thu May 3, 2007 1:44 am

Alou and Green are gap-stops until two of the three are ready. Martinez, Gomez and Milledge.

Jose Valentin might be old but who do we really have? Anderson Hernandez provides good defense but thats about it. Valentin plays great defense and still has a bat.

Pedro, Glavine and El Duque are old but we still have Perez, Maine, Humber, Pelfrey.

Also you wouldnt trade Mike Jacobs for Carlos Delgado, when Delgado is healthy this team goes from good to great.

I have no problem with the bench, personally I think we have one of the best bench in the league. I loved the way Omar has built this team, I have no complaints at all really.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall
Herro l Okogie
Fox l Jones l Ellis
netsforever
Veteran

Post#6 » by netsforever » Thu May 3, 2007 2:31 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Alou and Green are gap-stops until two of the three are ready. Martinez, Gomez and Milledge.

Jose Valentin might be old but who do we really have? Anderson Hernandez provides good defense but thats about it. Valentin plays great defense and still has a bat.

Pedro, Glavine and El Duque are old but we still have Perez, Maine, Humber, Pelfrey.

Also you wouldnt trade Mike Jacobs for Carlos Delgado, when Delgado is healthy this team goes from good to great.

I have no problem with the bench, personally I think we have one of the best bench in the league. I loved the way Omar has built this team, I have no complaints at all really.

We could use some starting pitching.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,981

Post#7 » by Manhattan Project » Thu May 3, 2007 3:27 am

netsforever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We are doing fine now with our old pitchers. Perez and Maine are doing a good job as well, im willing to wait till Humber and Pelfrey are ready to make solid outings game in and game out. Also I think Johan Santana will be a Met when he is a free agent, just seems to perfect.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall
Herro l Okogie
Fox l Jones l Ellis
netsforever
Veteran

Post#8 » by netsforever » Thu May 3, 2007 10:45 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We are doing fine now with our old pitchers. Perez and Maine are doing a good job as well, im willing to wait till Humber and Pelfrey are ready to make solid outings game in and game out. Also I think Johan Santana will be a Met when he is a free agent, just seems to perfect.

Yeah, that's the dream - Santana or Zambrano.

Would have liked Jake Westbrook, but the Indians resigned him.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#9 » by mjhp911 » Fri May 4, 2007 7:58 am

I think we have a nice mix of young and old. We can't be TOO young, we're supposed to be contending and we have a team that's WS-worthy (offensively, at least). I think Omar's done a nice job with the mix.

netsforever wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Agreed.

Return to New York Mets