ImageImageImageImageImage

MOTA

34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

MOTA 

Post#1 » by 34Celtic » Mon May 21, 2007 4:55 pm

ALERT--NOT TROLLING

Just trying to figure out why he is allowed to pitch in the minors when suspended? Doesn't really make much sense
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,788

Post#2 » by Lord Commander » Mon May 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Those are the rules. As long as he's not appearing at/in an MLB sponsored event it's OK. Technically he could have been pitching in the minors all along but the Mets wanted him fresh for the rest of the season...
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#3 » by 34Celtic » Mon May 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Weird rules....
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,981

Post#4 » by Manhattan Project » Mon May 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Guillermo Mota made his Zephyrs debut Monday night at Las Vegas. Pitching for Triple-A New Orleans, Mota pitched a scoreless eighth, allowing one hit and striking out one batter in a 7-5 loss. Barring a rainout, he'll be activated May 30, for the Mets' 51st game. He was eligible to begin making minor-league rehab appearances before paying crowds 16 days before that activation. Mota is serving a 50-game suspension for a positive steroid test. The Mets gave him a sweetheart two-year, $5 million deal despite the cheating. The club backloaded $3.2 million in the second year, because Mota will forfeit about 32% of this year's salary.

Yeah its odd, but they allow you time to get back into form.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall
Herro l Okogie
Fox l Jones l Ellis
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,468

Post#5 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue May 22, 2007 7:49 am

I guess - except that, for a pitcher, all pitchers returning from rehab pitch a start or two in the minors, I think, El Duque will pitch a game in the minors too, and his was just a 15 game DL. Look at Clemens.

I think the 16 day rule allows the pitcher to be sharp when his 50 game suspension is over - otherwise it would kind of be longer than 50 days. It makes a bit of sense if you think of it that way.

I wonder what the penalty is when a minor leaguer gets caught on rods - are they not allowed to pitch in the Minors for the full 50, 100 games, etc?
Didn't expect to be rooting for the Celtics, but that's what happened.

Go Boston, Go Boston. Go Boston. Crush the silly Mavericks.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#6 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:I guess - except that, for a pitcher, all pitchers returning from rehab pitch a start or two in the minors, I think, El Duque will pitch a game in the minors too, and his was just a 15 game DL. Look at Clemens.

I think the 16 day rule allows the pitcher to be sharp when his 50 game suspension is over - otherwise it would kind of be longer than 50 days. It makes a bit of sense if you think of it that way.

I wonder what the penalty is when a minor leaguer gets caught on rods - are they not allowed to pitch in the Minors for the full 50, 100 games, etc?

Yeah but a lot of hitters make a couple rehab starts as well. Are they allowed to play in the minors 3 days before their suspension is up in order to see live pitching, pick up breaking balls, etc?

Return to New York Mets