ImageImageImageImageImage

K-Rod traded

chandlanari
Sophomore
And1: 1

K-Rod traded 

Post#1 » by chandlanari » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:05 am

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... ee-brewers

K rod traded for 2 players tba later... great for the mets, since we don't have to pay his contract next year...it saves some money so that we can resign reyes...any ideas who our new closer will be?
"My name is Al Harrington, and I get buckets"
-Gus Johnson
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,649

Re: K-Rod traded 

Post#2 » by CoolKids » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:11 am

you guys can never catch a break can you?
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,994

Post#3 » by Jay10 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:30 am

chandlanari wrote:http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6764381/new-york-mets-trade-closer-francisco-rodriguez-milwaukee-brewers

K rod traded for 2 players tba later... great for the mets, since we don't have to pay his contract next year...it saves some money so that we can resign reyes...any ideas who our new closer will be?

what if reyes still ends up leaving? :lol:
BelieveTheDream
RealGM
And1: 45

Post#4 » by BelieveTheDream » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:54 am

trust me Im a die hard yankee fan but I have close ties to the mets, I worked for them a little bit and if I wannted to get back into baseballl I grew close with the assistant GM of the mets as well as a few others and I had a great time....And one of my jobs was scouting the whole farm system and Mets fans I know you have made some bad moves but getting rid of K rod was a must...You guys have a real good amount of talent in the Minors PItching in Mat Harvey but mostly a lot of outfielders who really are having great years and look like they have great potential....I would deal K rod and Beltran and I feel keeping Wright/Reyez is a must and then you have players such as murphy/Duda and in the minors, WIlmer Flores/Teahern/Kirk Newinhuies/Matt Den Dekkker among others....

I think you guys need to get some hard throwers in the bullpen, Move the walls closer in and soon I feel the mets will be back to being a fun team to watch.....personally and im a knicks fan so I know how this is Dolan/The Wilpons are such terrible owners its un real and both put there respective teams in a ` ` `whole but Mets are not as far back as people think....
SpReEfOrAlL
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#5 » by SpReEfOrAlL » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:47 am

As a brewers fan I have no idea why they made this deal. Don;t get me wrong, K-Rod is more talented but the brewers have a young closer who has closed on 23 out of 25 attempts. And is making under 450k this year.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 101,543

Post#6 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm a mets fan also and KROD was a must...can't pay someone who pitches 70 innings 17.5 million dollars. That money will go towards resigning Reyes which is a must. Reyes is a top 5 all around positional player in the league. Beltran might be next to go but they could basically wait till the august waiver deadline to trade him because the size of his contract would allow him to pass through waivers. As for the future the Mets need to trade David Wright if they ever want to compete for championships. I'm not saying he is the only problem with the team but if you look at his body of work and the teams they have been a 500 team with him the past 3 years and they have been a 500 team without him this year. At the end of the day he is a good player that just doesnt effect the bottom line. I would equate him to a Tony Romo in football. He put up numbers but will never put his team over the top and lead them. Wright needs to be sent to a place where he can fit in and not have to be the star the Mets could actually net some really valuble pieces in return and start building a winner. Also Murphy has proven this yr that he is more than capible of being any everyday starter. And an Infield of Ike Davis-Tejada-Reyes-Murphy is pretty good and young anyways.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#7 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 pm

K-Rod had to be traded. Now we can sign Reyes long-term (which i expect to happen before the trade deadline). Even if we don't sign Reyes, we still have 20 mil to play with going into this off-season. And the problem with Wright is he plays a corner infield position and for the past few years he hasn't hit like a corner outfielder. Wright should be open to moving to 2nd base, he would go back to being a star if he played there.

Beltran is next to be traded, he should be the premier bat to go after at the deadline. I would be against trading Beltran, but there is no reason to keep him when he won't re-sign and we can't offer him arbitration to get a 1st round pick.

Surprised that K-Rod didn't end up with the Yankees though. I doubt Soriano makes an impact even if he comes back and the one way to hide starting pitching that isn't dominant is to elevate a good bullpen to a great bullpen.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,189

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:25 pm

SpReEfOrAlL wrote:As a brewers fan I have no idea why they made this deal. Don;t get me wrong, K-Rod is more talented but the brewers have a young closer who has closed on 23 out of 25 attempts. And is making under 450k this year.

Yeah I don't quite get this either. Unless they are going to keep him under 55 games (which should be a doozy if it appears that the Brewers are intentionally doing this from KRod's standpoint). Someone better protect Bochy should that happen from another "outburst". From a purely going for it this year POV? Yeah it makes sense. But I believe the 55 game vesting includes playoffs so even then unless the Brewers deliberately try to K-bosh this it's very likely they will have Rodriguez as a real expensive $17.5 million setup guy next season. Of course, they could be going under the assumption of "you know what, let's add him now, and worse comes to worse, in the offseason, when teams will be looking for closers, we can minimally just trade him to another team for the same type of players to be named later type of deal".
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,189

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:K-Rod had to be traded. Now we can sign Reyes long-term (which i expect to happen before the trade deadline). Even if we don't sign Reyes, we still have 20 mil to play with going into this off-season. And the problem with Wright is he plays a corner infield position and for the past few years he hasn't hit like a corner outfielder. Wright should be open to moving to 2nd base, he would go back to being a star if he played there.

Beltran is next to be traded, he should be the premier bat to go after at the deadline. I would be against trading Beltran, but there is no reason to keep him when he won't re-sign and we can't offer him arbitration to get a 1st round pick.

Surprised that K-Rod didn't end up with the Yankees though. I doubt Soriano makes an impact even if he comes back and the one way to hide starting pitching that isn't dominant is to elevate a good bullpen to a great bullpen.

The Yankees rotation hasn't been that bad. Sure you never know how long retreads like Colon and Garcia will go (in terms of sustaining what has to be 2 of the biggest surprises in the majors this season), Hughes is still iffy and Burnett is still doing his Dr. J and Mr. H routine (though he is much better th is year than last). I think it's the $17.5 million for next season that the Yankees are not wanting any part of (I get the sense that spending isn't as free as it used to be under the Boss). Also David Robertson has been the best none-closer relievers in baseball this season (1.27 ERA with 56 SO's in 35 innings while holding opposing hitters to a .191 BA). Also he doesn't seem like the type of personality that the Yankees (who are usually value clubhouse character highly) prefer.
NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#10 » by NYman15 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Good deal for Mets. They needed to get out of that contract to maintain cap flexibility going into nezt season. Brewers got a great pitcher that can close a big game if needed.
Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Post#11 » by Starks1994 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Listen, as a Mets fan, I'm just glad the Yankees didn't get him. I feel that with Sandy and Terry, we are in good hands. Sandy ending up with the Mets is akin when Stern lobbied for Walsh coming to the Knicks.

Reyes is an absolute must sign. Even if he is one injury away from the DL, to lose him would be a gut wrenching loss the team needs to avoid. I think Wright is also a keeper but let's stop pretending he is a super star. We have some pieces in Gee, Duda, and Turner, so I like where we stand despite the rough few years.

Right now I'd trade Beltran for a young arm and also move Santana in the offseason. We need a true ace, a power bat that's been missing since Delgado's 2006 season, and a hard throwing arms in the BP.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,882

Post#12 » by Jose7 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:35 pm

If we'd payed most of johan's salary obviously anyone would take him.. that's the point, it would be THE WORST possible move for us to do. You do not trade really good starting pitching. Trading Johan would be just as bad as not re signing Jose.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Falstaffxx
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#13 » by Falstaffxx » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 pm

NYman15 wrote:Good deal for Mets. They needed to get out of that contract to maintain cap flexibility going into nezt season. Brewers got a great pitcher that can close a big game if needed.

No salary cap in baseball.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:
NYman15 wrote:Good deal for Mets. They needed to get out of that contract to maintain cap flexibility going into nezt season. Brewers got a great pitcher that can close a big game if needed.

No salary cap in baseball.

I think he was trying to say that the mets have been financially strapped and its widely known the mets payroll will be around 120 million next year (alderson and sources). By getting rid of KROD's money that will leave about 90 million going into next year. That would leave us 30 million for 2012 to spend on Reyes and some pitching.

ROSTER

I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#15 » by I_Love_NYK » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm

Every year a team comes out from mediocrity and becomes a contender. Last year we had the Texas Rangers. This year it will be the Brewers.
Starks1994
Veteran

Post#16 » by Starks1994 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:53 pm

What do you guys think about trying to nab Hanley from the Marlins and making him an outfielder? From what I can tell Marlin fans have been sick of him for years and feel better with Sanchez, Stanton, and Johnson at their core.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#17 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:01 pm

so this was a strict cash move right

b/c i cant recall the last time the PTBNL actually panned out
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#18 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Starks1994 wrote:What do you guys think about trying to nab Hanley from the Marlins and making him an outfielder? From what I can tell Marlin fans have been sick of him for years and feel better with Sanchez, Stanton, and Johnson at their core.

Hanley has already driven out 2 coaches and is a headcase. He would not last here in New York. He is full of himself and is a detriment to the team. He also we eventually be a big contract and we need to stay away form locking up money on two many players in the long term.

Reyes is the key priority then it should be stock piling young talent. I would rather have a plan and have a goal to be a better team in 2 year or so then sit in mediocracy for the next 5.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Pharmcat wrote:so this was a strict cash move right

b/c i cant recall the last time the PTBNL actually panned out

I would agree with that statement. With the two best teams in the National League in our division the Mets would have to have an insane finish to even come close to a playoff push. KROD option was almost a garuntee of vesting if he stayed here. This is 17.5 million dollars we can now spend on Reyes or other pieces to help the ball club.

I like Bobby Parnell stuff and he now has half a season to prove if he can be the future closer.

Whatever we get as far as the PTBNL is just gravy. Iv'e heard rumors one of them could be Mat Gamel who might be a decent piece but at this point it really doens't matter making this trade and riding KROD's money only inhances the Mets chances of resigning Reyes which will make all Mets fan happy!

ROSTER

Starks1994
Veteran

Post#20 » by Starks1994 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Loving the fact that the mods have kept this thread open. There's probably better Met fans here than on the baseball board. I was hoping the thread rules would be relaxed during the lockout. Now to start my "What's up with these fold-up bikes?" thread

Return to New York Mets