ImageImageImageImageImage

Beltran trade rumors.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Beltran trade rumors. 

Post#1 » by NYman15 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Any opinions on where he will end up? Their are like 5 different reports each day on where he will end up, but where do you see him ending up? Jon Heyman said on the radio today that the Phillies are the front runners and he speculated the Mets would ask for top prospect Dominic Brown. Then another report has the Red Sox going after him hard and the Mets have been scouting their farm system. So, where do you see him ending up?
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Beltran trade rumors. 

Post#2 » by Grover » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 pm

The Giants because they can absorb all of his salary though they will entertain offers where they pick up varying amounts of the contract. I would include Paulino and anything else the Giants seek for pitching, pitching and more pitching...and maybe an outfielder. These boards stink other than hoops. Where do you go for intelligent Met's fans? I'm one of those Yankee fans that cheer for the Metsas well and hope for a subway series every year.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#3 » by NYman15 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:52 pm

The Giants make the most sense as they need a hitter in the middle of the lineup to replace Posey's bat. However, from all reports they want to pick up Beltan's salary and not give up top prospects which is the complete opposite of what the Mets want. They are willing to pay the rest of his salary for the year and get a better prospect. The Mets are looking for a top prospect for Beltran, who they believe is the best hitter and position player on the market. And they should. He has the potential to change a team future from playoff contender to world series contender so the Giants make sense but the Mets are gonna want a good to great prospect.
Grover
Rookie

Post#4 » by Grover » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:21 am

I think money will be the driver but I'd gladly add Paulino to Beltran for Bumgarner and Wheeler. He's not great but having his best season despite hitting one home run in 150 at bats. The Mets did exceedingly well with their bench/role players this year. Now's the time to trade them for something for the future. Reyes is a tricky situation but I would lean toward moving him if the Mets can secure two top prospects. I think he signs elsewhere in the offseason and draft picks are like lottery tickets.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#5 » by treiz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 am

Grover wrote:I think money will be the driver but I'd gladly add Paulino to Beltran for Bumgarner and Wheeler. He's not great but having his best season despite hitting one home run in 150 at bats. The Mets did exceedingly well with their bench/role players this year. Now's the time to trade them for something for the future. Reyes is a tricky situation but I would lean toward moving him if the Mets can secure two top prospects. I think he signs elsewhere in the offseason and draft picks are like lottery tickets.

Me too, I really like Bumgarner and would do it in a flash to add Paulino for him. Beltran might not have gotten as many HRs this season but he's still in the top 20 in RBIs, that's still a pretty good achievement considering we had tons of injuries at our top order.

On Reyes, would love to keep him but I just don't see him staying, from the looks of it, we're just going to get compensatory picks for him.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#6 » by NYman15 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:45 pm

The Giants have really struggled since the Beltran deal. If they miss the playoffs and he leaves in FA, that would be a doomsday scenario as they gave up their top pitching prospect for a 2 month rental that didn't even get them to the playoffs.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#7 » by NYman15 » Thu Sep 1, 2011 7:31 pm

So far this trade has not worked out for the Giants. Beltran has been struggling and they're now 6 or 7 GB of Arizona while Zach Wheeler has been great as he has a 2.16 ERA for the St. Lucie Mets.
Grover
Rookie

Post#8 » by Grover » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Every year teams without a shot at the postseason look back on what could have been at the trade deadline. Occassionally an arm or a bat help push a fringe playoff team or championship contender over the top but far more often it is the teams who could have quickened the pace of putting a better team on the field the next year who make the mistake of holding on to what they deem core players, up and comers or valuable utility men. The Mets, in retrospect but to no surprise, should have traded everything they could and ended the season with a triple A team with a couple of promising pitchers, Josh Thole, Ike Davis, Justin Turner and unfortunately Jason Bay. The one caveat is how many people show up at the gate and the financial impact that results. It's a subpar free agency crop this fall but the addition of several young talented prospects for Reyes, Paulino, Pagan as an expiring fourth outfielder and even Isringhausen, combined with some additional money to spend in the offseason could have put the Mets in a position to compete next year with a far smaller payroll. As a fan of the Yankees there is a different mantra but I tend to respect Tampa Bay's player personnel people far more as Cashman is but the mouthpiece and the scapegoat for the organization that ties his hands regularly. If only Cliff Lee...
NYman15
Veteran

Post#9 » by NYman15 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 pm

I understand what you're saying but I would trade the whole team away. The team, despite having a ton of injuries was still competitive for most of the year and going into next year, if you have a healthy Ike Davis and healthy Santana, those are 2 huge pieces right there. I don't know if they'll re-sign Reyes, but the team is rebuilding, but they're also trying to compete. The farm is improving tremendously. They have a group of 4 potential top of the rotation starters with all of them due up in the next 2 years. I wouldn't go into completely rebuilding mode as the team still has a lot o talent, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading a few good players away to keep building the farm. But I wouldn't tear it down completely.

Return to New York Mets