ImageImageImageImageImage

*METS Playoffs '15* - WORLD SERIES v. K.C.

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Re: *METS Playoffs '15* Beat LAD, CUBS Next 

Post#61 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:38 pm

JackSIKMA43 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Lotsix wrote:Mets staff will make the Cubs offense look foolish, Harvey game 1 Syndergaard game 2, They will go up 2-0 and win it in 5 or 6, loser yankeee fans rooting against the mets because their team is irrelevant i love it :lol:

I see the Mets fans are getting all up on their high seats because they won a division series... Y'all wish you were 1/10th as relevant as the Yanks :crazy:

As if you have any room to talk, with the Knicks (as of late) and the Jets??? What happened to Just End The Season? Try this on for size ... Must Enjoy The Season, spells out METS.

Jets have been relatively successful over the past decade compared to most teams but, that doesn't fit the media narrative you're going for. They've made the playoffs 4 times and made the AFC Championsip game twice. we're also 3-1 right now with statistically the best defense in the NFL so I don't see how you can really come at them right now. Knicks are the Knicks. One of the most popular basketball teams in the world. Decent history of success outside of the 00's. Most revered arena in Basketball. The list goes on.... They'll always be relevant even when they suck unlike your Bucks...
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,190

Post#62 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:46 pm

The good thing to come out of this for Yankees fans, especially if the Mets advance deep or go all the way, is that the noose on the purse strings likely will come off in the offseason. Even penny pinching Hal "Not George" Steinbrenner won't be able to stand the Mets cutting in on his action and grabbing front page. The thought of Ben Zobrist being the Yankees big offseason signing is about as titillating as seeing a nip slip from Hillary Clinton. So in that respect. Mets all the way!!!! :lol:
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 410

Post#63 » by Houston99 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:47 pm

not from nyc but im rooting for the mets.
Houston99
Analyst
And1: 410

Post#64 » by Houston99 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:47 pm

11 more posts
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,980

Post#65 » by whocares1 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:53 pm

moocow007 wrote:The good thing to come out of this for Yankees fans, especially if the Mets advance deep or go all the way, is that the noose on the purse strings likely will come off in the offseason. Even penny pinching Hal "Not George" Steinbrenner won't be able to stand the Mets cutting in on his action and grabbing front page. The thought of Ben Zobrist being the Yankees big offseason signing is about as titillating as seeing a nip slip from Hillary Clinton. So in that respect. Mets all the way!!!! :lol:

The Yankees' problem isn't spending money on free agents. It's their inability to develop enough young talent. MLB in 2015 is much different than when the George Steinbrenner Yankees dominated. Young under control talent is how you win championships.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,344

Post#66 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:11 pm

whocares1 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:The good thing to come out of this for Yankees fans, especially if the Mets advance deep or go all the way, is that the noose on the purse strings likely will come off in the offseason. Even penny pinching Hal "Not George" Steinbrenner won't be able to stand the Mets cutting in on his action and grabbing front page. The thought of Ben Zobrist being the Yankees big offseason signing is about as titillating as seeing a nip slip from Hillary Clinton. So in that respect. Mets all the way!!!! :lol:

The Yankees' problem isn't spending money on free agents. It's their inability to develop enough young talent. MLB in 2015 is much different than when the George Steinbrenner Yankees dominated. Young under control talent is how you win championships.

That philosophy seems to be changing. In the old days, George would've trade some combination of Severino, Judge, Byrd, and/or Betances in order to get a couple of stars for the playoff run. Those days appear to be over (sorry Moscow) and the Yankees seem to be - dare I say it (gulp) - REBUILDING. Bwhahaha
Free Palestine
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,087

Re: **NLDS: Mets-Dodgers** LET'S GO METS!!! 

Post#67 » by vallen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
vallen wrote:great moved to the tumbleweed section of this site. still stubbornly sacrificing hits (probly thousands tonight) trying to force us places we are never going to stay ?

you guys know where your bread is buttered by now, focus on that.

anyway Go Mets dear crickets.

It's now a stickied topic on the Knicks Board.

cool thanks!

so is this the universal game thread moving forward ?
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,344

Re: **NLDS: Mets-Dodgers** LET'S GO METS!!! 

Post#68 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:36 pm

vallen wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
vallen wrote:great moved to the tumbleweed section of this site. still stubbornly sacrificing hits (probly thousands tonight) trying to force us places we are never going to stay ?

you guys know where your bread is buttered by now, focus on that.

anyway Go Mets dear crickets.

It's now a stickied topic on the Knicks Board.

cool thanks!

so is this the universal game thread moving forward ?

"Universal game thread"? Dayum, you guys are taking us into the 22nd century with this shyt.
Free Palestine
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer
And1: 847

Post#69 » by JackSIKMA43 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
JackSIKMA43 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
I see the Mets fans are getting all up on their high seats because they won a division series... Y'all wish you were 1/10th as relevant as the Yanks :crazy:

As if you have any room to talk, with the Knicks (as of late) and the Jets??? What happened to Just End The Season? Try this on for size ... Must Enjoy The Season, spells out METS.

Jets have been relatively successful over the past decade compared to most teams but, that doesn't fit the media narrative you're going for. They've made the playoffs 4 times and made the AFC Championsip game twice. we're also 3-1 right now with statistically the best defense in the NFL so I don't see how you can really come at them right now. Knicks are the Knicks. One of the most popular basketball teams in the world. Decent history of success outside of the 00's. Most revered arena in Basketball. The list goes on.... They'll always be relevant even when they suck unlike your Bucks...

Don't get too cocky. Greg Monroe spurned the Knicks, and came to the Bucks, because, like it or not, the Bucks' arrow is pointing up and WAY up. For the record, personally, the Knicks have always been my 2nd-fave team. There's no team I despise more on this earth, than the Chicago Bulls, they're the absolute worst. I practically worshipped John Starks, because Bulls fans hated him so much, and then when Starks was forced to wear a Bulls jersey, I threw up.

Regardless, all I'm saying, is that you've seen the Yankees win a LOT, including multiple World Series. No real accomplishment, to pick on Mets fans. Just my opinion.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,207

Post#70 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:27 pm

I never understood the NY on NY hate.

As a Giants fan, if the Jets went to the Superbowl and beat the Cowboys/Eagles, I'd be very thankful. Patriots would be 2 Superbowls higher if it wasn't for the G-Men. Lettuce not forget them ruining the Patriots from having the best season in all of sports. No NFL team should hate the Giants.

As for baseball, as Mets fan, I don't mind the Yanks unless they are playing the Mets. They beat the Phillies in 09, so they are ok I'm my book.
Free Palestine
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer

Post#71 » by JackSIKMA43 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:30 pm

I agree. The Giants beat the Packers in the playoffs every time - I have Packers season tickets, waited 28 years for them. I was at the 2007 NFC title game when Favre did what Favre does best. But, I harbor no ill will towards the Giants, whatsoever. I mean, "The New York Football Giants", is the most kickass team nickname in sports, at least that's what I think.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:32 pm

whocares1 wrote:

Being always in the playoff hunt sort of puts them at a disadvantage when it comes to drafting elite prospects. No? And when you have a team that is consistently near the top of the standings (and as a result, bottom of the draft order) that avenue isn't always the best option. But yes, they have questionable drafting tendencies. Their draft philosophy has consistently been drafting lower ceiling guys that are closer to being major league ready than high ceiling guys that may need some TLC to develop. Whether it's because they simply lack the organizational instruction to develop or because management (Cashman and/or Hal and his posse) feels the need to have a constant run of "fresh" arms to eat innings (to maybe support your old free agents)...not sure. The good news is that the Yankees appear at least to be holding onto their best young prospects instead of trading them.

But that's really not the point. There's no such thing as only one path to winning championships. Even with a lot more teams spending money to keep their top players away from free agency there you can still improve by spending money (the old fashioned approach). Examples? Take a look at just about every single Cuban player that is producing in the majors right now. From Abreu to Chapman to Cespedes to Soler to Yoan Moncada and (likely soon) to Yulieski Gourriel and his brother (both of whom have said they want to be Yankees and both of whom are considered among the best players in Cuba). Each one of those players were available for nothing but m-o-n-e-y. There were no restrictions, no draft order to be followed, no other team with an edge of the Yankees. And who was the last Cuban player they actually spent money on? Jose Contreras? Same with the Japanese players. Posting system is all about money. The Yankees have money. And they've sat out pretty much every chance to get these guys except Tanaka.

I don't see how anyone can argue that spending money on Cuban or Japanese players would somehow not improve their chances at winning a championship. Heck, a Cuban player is the reason the Mets are even in the playoffs isn't it? Soler is looking like he's going to be a cornerstone stud in Chicago. Chapman is the scariest pitcher in baseball right now. Abreu has in the running for MVP. Money...spend...helps. Just like developing players. If the Yankees had spent money they'd have been better off. But....like I said...for whatever reason, Hal Steinbrenner is not his dad when it comes to spending money to make the team better.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Stannis wrote:I never understood the NY on NY hate.

As a Giants fan, if the Jets went to the Superbowl and beat the Cowboys/Eagles, I'd be very thankful. Patriots would be 2 Superbowls higher if it wasn't for the G-Men. Lettuce not forget them ruining the Patriots from having the best season in all of sports. No NFL team should hate the Giants.

As for baseball, as Mets fan, I don't mind the Yanks unless they are playing the Mets. They beat the Phillies in 09, so they are ok I'm my book.

Because people are stoopid (and for some I mean it in an endearing way)? I mean that's the reason for just about every negative thing out there. :D

I can say that as a Yankee fan, the fondest memory I had as a child relating to baseball happened in Shea Stadium. So I have no reason to hate the Mets. Same way with the Giants (I'm a Jet fan) or the Nets even. My comments are candid at times but honest. It's not jaded by dislike (you can see it even when talking players that some folks just have crazy hate for). I try to see things for what it is, unadulterated by hate or whatever nonsense.

It's why I've never gotten crazy worked up about Marbury, JR Smith, Alex Rodriguez, etc. No reason to go nuts with hate. Clouds your judgment, makes you not think clearly.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#74 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:

Because people are stoopid (and for some I mean it in an endearing way)? I mean that's the reason for just about every negative thing out there. :D

I can say that as a Yankee fan, the fondest memory I had as a child relating to baseball happened in Shea Stadium. So I have no reason to hate the Mets. Same way with the Giants (I'm a Jet fan) or the Nets even. My comments are candid at times but honest. It's not jaded by dislike (you can see it even when talking players that some folks just have crazy hate for). I try to see things for what it is, unadulterated by hate or whatever nonsense.
What memory is that?

By the way, Mets are sort of different because they are divisional. I said I wouldn't mind them, but I kinda do, lol.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Stannis wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

What memory is that?

By the way, Mets are sort of different because they are divisional. I said I wouldn't mind them, but I kinda do, lol.

Banner Day way, way, way, way back. Was the one good memory of my dad (me and him walking out on the field holding a banner I made).
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer

Post#76 » by JackSIKMA43 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 pm

I do get MLB Extra Innings, so I can watch all Mets games, but aside from the internet for news sources, I'm not as well-versed on the inner workings of the NY teams, as you guys are. My observation from afar, has been that what has plagued the Mets and the Knicks equally, is horrid ownership. If they don't fork over some serious bank, to retain Cespedes and Murphy, then what else is there to say? Instead of the Mets being a perennial playoff contender, this could be a 1-year fart in the wind exercise, all because Wilpon has his head up his rear. Tired of it.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#77 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:48 pm

JackSIKMA43 wrote:I do get MLB Extra Innings, so I can watch all Mets games, but aside from the internet for news sources, I'm not as well-versed on the inner workings of the NY teams, as you guys are. My observation from afar, has been that what has plagued the Mets and the Knicks equally, is horrid ownership. If they don't fork over some serious bank, to retain Cespedes and Murphy, then what else is there to say? Instead of the Mets being a perennial playoff contender, this could be a 1-year fart in the wind exercise, all because Wilpon has his head up his rear. Tired of it.

You never know. I've heard some stuff that the Wilpons have a lot more money they pretend to have. In Sandy Alderson's book, he was talking about how they were close to resigning Jose Reyes and there was some mutual interest in getting Cano. You can only make those moves if you have some money.

So I don't think resigning Cespedes and Murphy are that long shots. It's our 5 flame throwers 3-5 years from now that I'm more worried about. There's no way the Mets can pay 20m+ for to the each of them. So the 3 year window to win it all started right now, which is why I hope they resign Cespedes and Murphy and maybe get somebody else (set up man).
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#78 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Forgot to mention, when Mattingly was trying to compare Utley to David Wright and how David Wright would get away with, that really irked me. He was comparing a player with a dirty history to a genuine good guy of the MLB.
Free Palestine
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by moocow007 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:52 pm

JackSIKMA43 wrote:I do get MLB Extra Innings, so I can watch all Mets games, but aside from the internet for news sources, I'm not as well-versed on the inner workings of the NY teams, as you guys are. My observation from afar, has been that what has plagued the Mets and the Knicks equally, is horrid ownership. If they don't fork over some serious bank, to retain Cespedes and Murphy, then what else is there to say? Instead of the Mets being a perennial playoff contender, this could be a 1-year fart in the wind exercise, all because Wilpon has his head up his rear. Tired of it.

Yeah pretty much my take. A lot of it is on ownership. I know they lost a lot from Bernie Madoff but no one knows how much and if they are using it still as a crutch. Yep, it will be interesting to see what they do to retain Cespedes and Murphy, etc. Cespedes, in this market, is likely going to cost a fortune. I'm not sure that the Wilpons will go there. That pitching staff is absolutely terrific but you can only rely on them so much. And what happens once they hit free agency? I believe Harvey is hitting free agency in 2018? Not sure about DeGrom or Syndergaard...but if they both keep going like they have they are going to blow the roof off when free agency comes. And what will ownership do then? If they were free agents right now, they'd all be in the $20-25 million per range easily.

As much as I harp on the Yankees ownership not spending like I would like, they are still better than the Mets in being willing to spend money. They just don't have the pitching staff (and some say, managerial skills) that Collins has and there's really no realistic way to get that nowadays. But at least they are still willing to spend more.
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer

Post#80 » by JackSIKMA43 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Agreed. Utley is a douchebag, always has been. Getting him to fly out last night, I almost hit my head on the ceiling, I was so stoked, lol.

Return to New York Mets