And1: 0

Farnsworth on Clemens contract 

Post#1 » by Abraham Lincoln » Fri May 18, 2007 2:33 am

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Fri May 18, 2007 2:37 am

I agree with the sentiment, but I do not agree with the person who is delivering the message. I mean, I could understand if Mussina or Wang said this. They have actually been very good during their Yankee careers. But Farnsworth? He has been a dissapointment ever since he put on a Yankee uniform.

Farns, why don't you worry about not walking the bases loaded before you worry about Clemens' contract?
KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#3 » by KnickTerp12 » Fri May 18, 2007 4:41 am

^ Was just about to say this. Maybe someone who needs less than 45 pitches to get 3 outs. Or someone with a better Ball to Strike ratio than 1:3. But he makes a good point. Then again, guys like Mussina, Wang, Pettitte are all business and character guys, they would never attack the view of their OWN TEAM or TEAMMATE.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by HCYanks » Fri May 18, 2007 4:50 am

Other players may not like it, but it's what you're going to get if you work with Clemens. He's managed to build himself into such a desirable player (undeservingly IMO; his numbers will be decent but not at his Houston level) that he can bargain his way into crazy demands. It's the economics of the game.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#5 » by FNQ » Fri May 18, 2007 6:05 am

HCYanks wrote:Other players may not like it, but it's what you're going to get if you work with Clemens. He's managed to build himself into such a desirable player (undeservingly IMO; his numbers will be decent but not at his Houston level) that he can bargain his way into crazy demands. It's the economics of the game.

Extremely true...

It also sets an extremely dangerous precedent. Imagine a top tier FA is on the market... and could command top dollar. Carlos Zambrano, for example... let's say he's a 500% family guy and doesn't like being away from them at all - would he sign a 6-100 contract with someone, or a 6-90 with a team that let's him stay near his family when he isn't pitching?

I think it sets a bad example overall, it makes one player bigger than the team, and there are going to be more players out there, in this day and age, who feel they are bigger than the team.

It's all speculation, but I don't think anything good can come from a contract like that. Except to the Yankees of course :D
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#6 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri May 18, 2007 1:20 pm

1. You don't mess with the pr0ff3ss0r.
2. See number 1.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#7 » by VinnyTheMick » Fri May 18, 2007 11:21 pm

in the words of Max Kellerman

"He's from the south. He doesn't know any better."
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein

Return to New York Yankees