ImageImageImageImageImage

Not Nearly Agressive Enough

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

AirPaden
Analyst
And1: 0

Not Nearly Agressive Enough 

Post#1 » by AirPaden » Fri May 18, 2007 6:18 pm

I have a Yankee fan for over 2 decades. One glaring problem I noticed about this team in the last few years is their passive hitting apporach. How many stikes are they going to look at? They wait to they get one or 2 strikes on them, and then swing the bats. With one or 2 stirkes they have a tendency to swing a very bad pitches and take weak hacks.

They have to be far more aggressive at the plate. This team has to many good players to be playing this poorly. :nod:
If you think you can you can, Get It Done!
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Batters like Giambi, Cano, Abreu and Damon just have to stick to the approaches that have worked the last 5-10 years of their career. No need to change anything, just keep trying to get good swings on the ball. Hits and runs will come in time.

When we have gotten good pitching, we haven't gotten good hitting. When we have gotten good hitting, we have gotten good pitching. We'll start getting good pitching and good hitting at the same time soon, and we'll start winning games.

In the mean time, the Red Sox will stop getting every conceivable break imaginable and we'll make up some games in the standings.
AirPaden
Analyst

Post#3 » by AirPaden » Fri May 18, 2007 7:38 pm

cmaff051 wrote:Batters like Giambi, Cano, Abreu and Damon just have to stick to the approaches that have worked the last 5-10 years of their career. No need to change anything, just keep trying to get good swings on the ball. Hits and runs will come in time.

When we have gotten good pitching, we haven't gotten good hitting. When we have gotten good hitting, we have gotten good pitching. We'll start getting good pitching and good hitting at the same time soon, and we'll start winning games.

In the mean time, the Red Sox will stop getting every conceivable break imaginable and we'll make up some games in the standings.

I understand that. But I have never seen this type of poor hitting in years. Perhaps it's attitude. They play not to lose instead of playing their butts off to win. Wake Em up Joe.

Thanks for responding to my post.
Peace
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Sat May 19, 2007 3:33 am

It's not necessarily being aggressive and swinging more freely, it's being able to tell if teams have realized that the Yankees tend to look before swinging and have come out and attacked the strikezone and adjusting to it. I don't know that they are and as a result a lot of times they are falling into a hole.

But that you can also live with cause it eventually will even out. What's really more concerning is that way too many of the Yankees seems to be playing on their heels and with looks on their face that doesn't really scream "we will beat you" or even "we might beat you". Seems like as a collective they are struggling which, for a veteran team that is paid as well as they are, should not be happening.

But that's just my opinion.
AirPaden
Analyst

Post#5 » by AirPaden » Sat May 19, 2007 2:49 pm

moocow007 wrote:It's not necessarily being aggressive and swinging more freely, it's being able to tell if teams have realized that the Yankees tend to look before swinging and have come out and attacked the strikezone and adjusting to it. I don't know that they are and as a result a lot of times they are falling into a hole.

But that you can also live with cause it eventually will even out. What's really more concerning is that way too many of the Yankees seems to be playing on their heels and with looks on their face that doesn't really scream "we will beat you" or even "we might beat you". Seems like as a collective they are struggling which, for a veteran team that is paid as well as they are, should not be happening.

But that's just my opinion.

Some very valid points. Part of the Yankees woes are also just flat out bad luck. I have seen so many hard hit balls (line drives) just to be caught by the opposing team. On the other hand, I have seen the other team hit bloopers and weak ground balls for hits, which lead to big rallies. It's a bit frustrating. Now I know how a Kansas City Royals fan feels. This is horrible.

Right now this team looks like a Fighter who wants no part of being in the ring. Take Jeter and Possada out of the mix, they are the only 2 who have consistently produced all year. A Rod is going back to last years form. Oh well, let's hopr for the best.

Peace Guys!
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#6 » by cmaff051 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:36 pm

AirPaden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Some very valid points. Part of the Yankees woes are also just flat out bad luck. I have seen so many hard hit balls (line drives) just to be caught by the opposing team. On the other hand, I have seen the other team hit bloopers and weak ground balls for hits, which lead to big rallies. It's a bit frustrating.

:nod: :nod: You hit the nail right on the head. :nod:
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#7 » by Slamm Goodbody » Sat May 19, 2007 5:32 pm

I agree with everything everyone's said here. This brutal combination of bad luck, laissez faire hitters and erratic pitching is really starting to grate on me. Its certainly not over here in May but we need some guys to step up and be a little more aggressive. If I see Johnny Damon laughing and palling around in the dugout anymore I'm gong to be sick, these guys should be concerned with what's going on here.

Regarding aggressiveness, I think that our biggest offensive spark in terms of putting wood on the ball and trying to make things happen is Cano, and he's having an awful year. He's not hitting a lick and doesn't look comfortable at the plate at all. He has all the ability in the world and plays an important role as an offensive igniter, but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be putting together good at bats right now.
Mardy Collins Superfan
AirPaden
Analyst

Post#8 » by AirPaden » Sat May 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Slamm Goodbody wrote:I agree with everything everyone's said here. This brutal combination of bad luck, laissez faire hitters and erratic pitching is really starting to grate on me. Its certainly not over here in May but we need some guys to step up and be a little more aggressive. If I see Johnny Damon laughing and palling around in the dugout anymore I'm gong to be sick, these guys should be concerned with what's going on here.

Regarding aggressiveness, I think that our biggest offensive spark in terms of putting wood on the ball and trying to make things happen is Cano, and he's having an awful year. He's not hitting a lick and doesn't look comfortable at the plate at all. He has all the ability in the world and plays an important role as an offensive igniter, but for some reason he just doesn't seem to be putting together good at bats right now.

Yeah Slam, Cano does have incredible ability. Right now he looks like a Deer in headlights. Overall this team shows no focus the plate whatsoever.

I like Damon as a player and a person, however I would love to see him traded. What happend to the Damon who played for Boston? Always injured. I agree with you on the laughing and joking part. If your winning it's ok to have some fun. But while your team is going through a losing period, it's time to get serious and become more focused.

Peace Guys,
Let' hope for a win today! :clap:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#9 » by moocow007 » Sat May 19, 2007 10:42 pm

AirPaden wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah Slam, Cano does have incredible ability. Right now he looks like a Deer in headlights. Overall this team shows no focus the plate whatsoever.

I like Damon as a player and a person, however I would love to see him traded. What happend to the Damon who played for Boston? Always injured. I agree with you on the laughing and joking part. If your winning it's ok to have some fun. But while your team is going through a losing period, it's time to get serious and become more focused.

Peace Guys,
Let' hope for a win today! :clap:

Well so much for that idea. :D

Return to New York Yankees