Update: Cano Signs with Mariners for 10 yrs/240 Mill

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,498

Update: Cano Signs with Mariners for 10 yrs/240 Mill 

Post#1 » by damedash09 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 10:18 am

DavidWaldstein
Source with knowledge of the Mariners planning said they are going to offer Cano 9 years/$225 million

JonHeymanCBS
update: mariners make $225M, 9-yr offer to Cano. lead by $50M-plus. still a question if it's enough. http://cbsprt.co/IGy9zY

Should get fun if this is true, guess it's in the Yankees hands now to see if they'll move off of 7yrs/175 Million
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,895

Re: Mariners to offer Cano 9yrs/225 Million? 

Post#2 » by Butch718 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 12:43 pm

Let the Mariners have him. Sorry but a 9 year deal worth 225 million for a guy that's 31 is insane. He only has a couple of prime years left, after that it morphs into a huge albatross of a contract.

Seattle is going to regret signing him if he agrees to that deal. Especially when they see his numbers diminish in Safeco Field.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,091

Post#3 » by Rich Rane » Fri Dec 6, 2013 2:39 pm

Bill Madden, Teri Thompson, and Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News wrote:According to two sources briefed on the negotiations, talks between the Mariners — the free agent second baseman’s lone stalking horse — and Cano’s camp — led by rapper-turned super-agent Jay Z and CAA’s Brodie Van Wagenen — collapsed after Jay Z overplayed his hand during Thursday night’s negotiating session.

Cano and his entourage arrived in Seattle with what sources described as basically an eight-year, $200 million deal in hand along with assurances that Seattle would go to nine years and $225 million, a figure confirmed late Thursday night by the Daily News.

But when Jay Z then upped the ante and demanded 10 years and $252 million — the same deal Alex Rodriguez took more than a decade ago when he left the Mariners for the Rangers — Mariners chairman and CEO Howard Lincoln apparently “exploded,” according to one of the sources, ending the meeting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1539636
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#4 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 3:32 pm

From what I've read the Seattle offer is 10/240. Please let him go for that cost. 5/120 works for me :D
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Vides990
Starter

Post#5 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 4:14 pm

And for 10 years 240 mill he is now a Seattle Mariner.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... e-mariners

I'm not surprised he valued money more then winning, he has always been a lackadaisical player. While we might miss him some this year, signing him to that deal would have been a terrible move for the franchise, glad they stayed smart (sort of).
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#6 » by GnarlesOakley » Fri Dec 6, 2013 4:42 pm

That's ridiculous money for a city that barely cares about baseball. I've defended Cano against the stupid "lazy" accusations before, but he's not a leader and we've already seen he doesn't carry you.

The Yankees made the right decision telling him to screw off, but they are still gonna be trash this year. Instead of Cano, Cashman has thrown money at older, more injury prone players, great. Our pitching is trash, our infield is trash, we will be lucky if we have the same record we had last year. This is the sign - The Red Sox are officially the biggest brand in MLB now.
Vides990
Starter

Post#7 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 4:44 pm

Mccann and Ellsbury are both younger then Cano, though they do have the injury concerns.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,298

Post#8 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 6, 2013 5:18 pm

F*ck this goofy non hustling f*ck. 24 million a year for 10 years. Good to see him gone. Now get his butt buddy ARod who encouraged him to get the big bucks, get his washed up and done ass off my team as well.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#9 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Dec 6, 2013 5:39 pm

$240M/10 yrs was absurd because we know in Dominican years, add +2 yrs to the age given. I would have been happy giving Cano $30M a year for 4-5 yrs.

Sad but at the end of the day, Robinson Cano looked at all the post season appearances, 2009 WS ring, and the $180M offer and said to himself, "That means less to me" than the money. It also meant little to him retiring as the Best 2B on the BEST franchise when it came to winning.
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,498

Re: Update: Cano Signs with Mariners for 10 yrs/240 Mill 

Post#10 » by damedash09 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 5:41 pm

Too much years and Money, The Cano loss will hurt but he was all about his money. The Mariners are never going to sniff the playoffs or contend for a world series. Enjoy Seattle you greedy fool.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,735

Post#11 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 5:51 pm

cl
GnarlesOakley wrote:That's ridiculous money for a city that barely cares about baseball. I've defended Cano against the stupid "lazy" accusations before, but he's not a leader and we've already seen he doesn't carry you.

The Yankees made the right decision telling him to screw off, but they are still gonna be trash this year. Instead of Cano, Cashman has thrown money at older, more injury prone players, great. Our pitching is trash, our infield is trash, we will be lucky if we have the same record we had last year. This is the sign - The Red Sox are officially the biggest brand in MLB now.

I wouldn't go nuts with how great the Red Sox are they did it with smoke and mirrors and good for them. I think it will be more that way now. But the Sox are likely going to lose their starting C, CF, SS, 1B and likely will replace those positions with rookie to 2nd year level players and have issues at closer and throughout their rotation. They went form 60 wins to 97 and may go right back down again.

I loved Cano but you can get two guys for that money the Yankees did they got Elsbury and McCann. Neither are as good as he is but this isn't the NBA you only get to hit 4 or 5 times a game.

I am not in love with the Elsbury signing at all but I hate the idea of giving a stupid contract to Cano. Probably should have given him the 10 year deal the first time around but you don't compound the mistake by doing this.

This is what if feels like to be everyone else.

Don't care find some pitching.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#12 » by Bulltalk » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:06 pm

Butch718 wrote:Let the Mariners have him. Sorry but a 9 year deal worth 225 million for a guy that's 31 is insane. He only has a couple of prime years left, after that it morphs into a huge albatross of a contract.

Seattle is going to regret signing him if he agrees to that deal. Especially when they see his numbers diminish in Safeco Field.

You're missing something though. As a Mariner fan, we have sucked for years now. The Mariners have also just garnered a huge new TV deal giving them oodles of money to play with. Even with the Cano signing, we have a ton of money to play with, low payroll commitments, can sign/acquire two more big money FA's. We needed to make a major move with rapidly declining gate receipts in recent years. We also needed to sign a big FA (even if overpaying him) so as to attract other FA's, become more of a destination for them. We had to start somewhere to become legit again. 5-6 years of great Cano production is fine and dandy to us.

You have to be out here as a Mariner fan to understand the fan lethargy that had to be shaken off.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
hatnlvr
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Post#13 » by hatnlvr » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:06 pm

Cano got his money, but I'm sure he is going to be miserable in Seattle. His numbers are going to go down and that team is not a winner, not to mention his endorsement opportunities are going to take a hit as well.

Good luck!
ImageImage
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:06 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:$240M/10 yrs was absurd because we know in Dominican years, add +2 yrs to the age given. I would have been happy giving Cano $30M a year for 4-5 yrs.

Sad but at the end of the day, Robinson Cano looked at all the post season appearances, 2009 WS ring, and the $180M offer and said to himself, "That means less to me" than the money. It also meant little to him retiring as the Best 2B on the BEST franchise when it came to winning.

I look at it both ways. Why take less money to stay with the Yankees? There isn't a salary cap and there is no guarantee that the Yankees aren't headed for a down period with or without him. It is a business so good for him he got his money and he earned it. I don't think he is going to be worth it and it is probably going to cost him a shot at the HOF but at this rate he was probably jamming a needle in his ass anyhow and they wouldn't have let him in. You have to take the money in this situation.

His agent literally sat down at the table and said "Give me 10 years and 252 mil." The M's said "That is ludicrous! How about 240 mil." Really what do you do besides say yes? You can't let them think about it.

Even the Yankees with all of their money will have an easier time winning without Cano at 200 mil (never mind 240 mil) than they will with him at that price. There is a new guy to throw stupid money at all the time it just sucks to lose one that showed he could handled the pressure.
tjumper78
Pro Prospect
And1: 174

Post#15 » by tjumper78 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:11 pm

screaming a going crazy on the radio.
i turned it off.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:14 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
Butch718 wrote:Let the Mariners have him. Sorry but a 9 year deal worth 225 million for a guy that's 31 is insane. He only has a couple of prime years left, after that it morphs into a huge albatross of a contract.

You're missing something though. As a Mariner fan, we have sucked for years now. The Mariners have also just garnered a huge new TV deal giving them oodles of money to play with. Even with the Cano signing, we have a ton of money to play with, low payroll commitments, can sign/acquire two more big money FA's. We needed to make a major move with rapidly declining gate receipts in recent years. We also needed to sign a big FA (even if overpaying him) so as to attract other FA's, become more of a destination for them. We had to start somewhere to become legit again. 5-6 years of great Cano production is fine and dandy to us.

You have to be out here as a Mariner fan to understand the fan lethargy that had to be shaken off.

I understand the Mariners problem and you need someone to take the money to say yes to turn it around. But not this money and not this guy. You have Franklin under control for 5 years and maybe he isn't as good as he supposed to be but that is the life blood of baseball right now star players under team control. The M's spent 240 mil fixing a problem they didn't have what are they now a 75 win team?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#17 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:17 pm

Yea, Stephen A. Smith is a clown. I'm sorry but ANY one in sports that uses the term "dis-respected" when it comes to excess of $170M+ needs a good punch in the dick.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#18 » by Bulltalk » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:22 pm

sully00 wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:

I understand the Mariners problem and you need someone to take the money to say yes to turn it around. But not this money and not this guy. You have Franklin under control for 5 years and maybe he isn't as good as he supposed to be but that is the life blood of baseball right now star players under team control. The M's spent 240 mil fixing a problem they didn't have what are they now a 75 win team?

We have plenty of young players under contract control:

--Nick Franklin
--Brad MIller
--DJ Peterson
--Bill Paxton
--Dustin Ackley
--Taijuan Walker
--Danny Hultzen
--Kyle Seager
--Mike Zunino
--etc...

What we don't have is ANY punch in the middle of the order. We've got good young bullpen potential. We've got as good of a one-two starting pitching punch in Felix and Iwakuma, and young arms in Walker and Paxton, etc... We simply don't have ANY middle of the lineup star hitters. We HAD to get one. The M's are LOADED with money now, and still have a low payroll even with Cano now. We draw 3 million when we are competitive, but we haven't been forever.

I don't expect an east coaster to understand the BUZZ this has generated out here. A buzz that we haven't felt around here in a long time.

For US to steal the YANKS prime FA! That's HUGE out here to us.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Vides990
Starter

Post#19 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:32 pm

Gotta agree with Bulltalk. This is a bad deal from the Yanks standpoint but it does make sense for Seattle. They might not win alot, but it can potentially change their players/fans perspective of the team and what they're trying to accomplish moving forward, plus they have something the Yanks don't, pitching.
Benny Blanco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 59

Post#20 » by Benny Blanco » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:39 pm

So from the sound of it, this works for almost everyone. The Yanks don't overpay, the Mariners get the big name they've been missing since the 90s, and Cano is set for the rest of his career. But the real losers are Yankee fans. Our best homegrown player from the post-90s era has been lured away to another team. That's something that's been unheard to Yankee fans for years.

I think people could say that Cano is money grubbing and isn't trying to win, but he's going to a young team on the upswing. Maybe he thinks they are close to being contenders, so possibly he made a very shrewd move. If he didn't think there would be a good young team forming around him in NY, especially considering he is in the midst of his prime years, it makes sense.

Return to New York Yankees