ImageImageImageImageImage

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN THIS OFF SEASON??

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN THIS OFF SEASON?? 

Post#1 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Oct 8, 2015 10:18 pm

Well the season ended with a flat **** performance by this offense vs the Astros that caused Fans to boo the team at Yankee Stadium. Should anybody be fired and what players would you like to see be bought in and what players need to gtfo?

This team to me needs more speed,more base to base hitting. They need to get away from the HR or nothing. Happens all the time..You can't depend on HRs to beat aces. You need to learn to manufacture runs.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,615

Re: WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN THIS OFF SEASON?? 

Post#2 » by Butch718 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Just continue to add youth to the team. And for Christ sakes please don't sign Price.The back end of his contract will end up being CC part II.
Swav718
Senior
And1: 138

Post#3 » by Swav718 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 am

Need to find a way to get rid of gardner/ellsbury, rather ellsbury.... they're both the same players that are injury prone... if we can do that then I would try to get Upton/heyward/cespedes... Need to give more time to bird, Refs, Murphy. I would maybe sign ben zobrist to play 2nd and can also play outfielder for beltran, good utility player. Another bullpen arm. stay away from Price, I think Grienke have an option, if he opts out I would keep tabs on him
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:32 pm

If they weren't willing to pay crazy money for Scherzer (last offseason) they definitely shouldn't be giving it to Price. Price isn't as good and his playoff numbers are brutal.

Yeah I would try to trade one of Gardner and Ellsbury. Ellsbury would be the preferred one to move but let's be honest, no one is going to take with his salary, injury problems and light production unless the Yankees pay most of his salary. So it likely will have to be Gardner that is moved.

Would also see if there's a market for Beltran as well. Beltran had came on and had a real good season and he only has 1 year left on his contract. He MIGHT be desirable for some team out there looking for offense, even if the Yankees have to eat a little of his salary to move him.

Either or both of the above would allow the Yanks to possibly go after one of the big name OF'ers...that can actually hit AND field? Too bad they decided that it wasn't worth spending on Cubans or they could have had either or both Cespedes and Soler.

I'm not sold on giving a big contract to Zobrist. Yes, yes, he's an advanced stats guys wet dream but he's also old and we have seen how well we do with old players continuing to produce up to their contracts. The rest of the 2B options via free agency isn't exactly exciting. Howie Kendrick is a Yankee killer but unless they are planning to commit suicide, how's that going to help? Trading for a 2B may be a better idea if they don't feel that there are other options. If the Tigers are thinking about shedding salary to resign some of their guys, maybe the Yanks can work out a deal to acquire Ian Kinsler. Kinsler isn't a young guy any more but he can still produce with the bat and glove and is the type of all out hate to lose personality that could help this team.

I definitely would look for another serious hard throwing reliever to put in the back of the rotation with Miller and Betances. The rate Girardi is going through his high end relievers, Betances arm is going to fall off. If they can't and/or don't want to give big money to starters then go get yourself a healthy 3rd reliable power arm for the back end of the rotation. Tyler Clippard, Shawn Kelley (former Yankee), Bobby Parnell (if he's healthy), Joakim Soria, Brian Matusz, Atonio Bastardo, Tony Sipp, David Hernandez, Carlos Villaneuva, Jesse Crain are all hard throwing relievers that aren't too old and who can strike guys out while limiting runs. Crain was a guy that I wanted before the season. I think he has the perfect personality and temperament for NY and since he's 34 you don't have to likely commit to him long term.

If they can trade for a closer type that would even be better. Maybe the Padres decide to rebuild and look to deal Kimbrel or the Reds go crazy and trade Aroldis Chapman?

For starters? Grienke seems to make the most sense. He's got the best stuff among all the big name guys and he produces under pressure better than any other starter available (not even close). But I doubt the Yankees want to get into a bidding war with the Dodgers on someone that, at the end of the day, still comes with some questionable personality issues and has said he'd prefer to be on the West Coast. Maybe jump in just to bid the Dodgers up (YUUUUUUP!!!!!). Cueto would be my other option if money was free flowing.

Assuming money is not free flowing? Yeah sure, if the Yanks feel that can get through to Samadzija then sure. If the power of the Rothschild is so great, might as well do Samardzija and add him to Tanaka, Pineda, Eovaldi and Severino (has any team ever won with a starting 5 of no.2 pitchers?). Wait...that means Nova is the odd man out? So it is. If they can find a taker that would be great. Nova would probably do great in the NL with a lower pressure environment where they have the infrastructure to maximize his ability (Atlanta would be perfect). Who do the Braves have that would be useful in a trade?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:44 pm

But the sad reality is everyone on this team that isn't a free agent will likely return...again. I mean when was the last time Cashman traded a big dollar core player? Alfonso Soriano in 2003? I expect the most exciting thing that will happen will be Cashman adding another reclamation project or two and we'll be back talking about what to do in the offseason a year from now after the Yankees win another wild card and get bounced because they simply do not have a true no.1 starter and enough bite in their offense when the pressure is on.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#6 » by Yankeeknickfan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:52 am

Slade should be the 4th OF. I really don't see us making any big moves.

Ells: he should have a bounce back season
Gardy/ hopefully Slade playing well lets us rest Gardy more. He got tired towards the end of last season.
Arod: he will probably hit .240 have 15-20 homers, and 60 RBI. The yr off is why he was good for the first half. He will regress next yr.
Tex: he's going to go through Arod syndrome. Good first half, bad second. He had the end of this yr to rest.

McCann: was bad in the 2nd half. Great in the first half, don't know what to expect

Beltran: he should regress, I really hope that he is still an ageless wonder next yr.

Didi: hopefully he shows that the 2nd half wasn't a fluke

Ref/Ackley: they will platoon at 2nd.
Imageceltics
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Come on Hal, you cheap bastard, look at the Mets outshining you!
isiah_thomas
Analyst

Post#8 » by isiah_thomas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 pm

BryanHoch

Yanks trade John Ryan Murphy to Twins for Aaron Hicks
isiah_thomas
Analyst

Post#9 » by isiah_thomas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:16 pm

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Yankees also made another minor trade sending Jose Pirela to the Padres for a 20 tear old minor league RH pitcher Ronald Herrera.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2015/11/who_is_ronald_herrera_meet_pitcher_yankees_got_in.html

Herrera pitched in AA last season for the Padres. Not a hard thrower (can top out at 94 but fastball sits about 90-91) but someone that scouts say shows great poise and could become a "solid major league starter". Stats were ok, not mind blowing. Did have a complete game shutout in AA last season and pitched better as the season went on. Smallish at 5'11" and 180lbs.

Trading Pirela frees up a spot on the Yankees 40-man roster which helps a lot as the Yanks will have some tough decisions to make as far as who to protect. Pirela looked pretty good in 2014 but was up and down in 2015.

A decent trade especially since they didn't really need Pirela (who played all over the infield) with Ackley, Refsnyder and Ryan all likely to be on the roster.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by moocow007 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Also the Rumor-du-jour:

There are rumors that Cashman has discussed a Gardner trade with Jerry Dipoto the new GM of the Mariners. Joel Sherman reported that it could be lefty James Paxton whom the Yankees scouts apparently have been scouting heavily in the Arizona Fall League (where Paxton is currently pitching in an attempt to make up for innings that he missed due to injury last season). Paxton apparently hasn't pitched well so far in the AFL (not able to throw his breaking pitch) but he's a hard throwing lefty starter (averages 95mph on his 2 seam fastball which is great for a lefty) that some compare to Andy Petitte. He's only 26 and has already pitched 3 years in the majors. He's also super cheap and won't be arbitration eligible until 2017. Durability is the concern but some belief he can be a breakout candidate this upcoming season.

If they acquire Paxton it would give them Tanaka (27), Pineda (25), Eovaldi (25), Severino (21) and Paxton (26). The oldest of that group would be Tanaka. They have Rothschild already. Maybe they can spend some money on a couple other assistant pitching coaches to try to grind down the rough edges with most of these guys.

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yankees-rumors-hot-stove/2015/11/11/9711386/yankees-trade-rumors-brett-gardner-seattle-mariners-james-paxton

Also the belief is that if the Yanks can make this trade that it will not only lessen the need to spend on even a 2nd tier starter but also then allow them to take that money earmarked for a 2nd tier starter and add it to the pot to chase Jason Heyward or one of the other big name OF'ers (Cespedes, Upton, etc.). Of the 3, Cespedes would be the one that would not cost the Yankees a 1st round pick as he was traded to the Mets mid season but he is the oldest of the 3 (at 30). Heyward will likely cost the most, but is the youngest of the 3 (at 26). Lack of ideal power is Heywards one big drawback. Upton is 28 and probably has the best combination of power, speed and contract (though he won't be cheap either). Upton is also very good against lefties so it could kill 2 birds with one stone since they aren't likely to bring Young back either.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:20 am

Also talk about the Yankees possibly working on a deal with the Nationals that would send both Gardner and Andrew Miller to the Nats in exchange for Stephen Strasburg and possibly Drew Storen.

Considering that the Red Sox got Kimbrel for a mixed back of prospects, it may be possible for the Yanks to do something similar to land Aroldis Chapman (i.e. hold onto Mateo, Judge, Bird).

Would be heck of an offseason if they can manage adding Strasburg to the rotation, replace Miller with Chapman and Gardner with Upton.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,605

Post#13 » by bishnykfan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:14 am

moocow007 wrote:Also talk about the Yankees possibly working on a deal with the Nationals that would send both Gardner and Andrew Miller to the Nats in exchange for Stephen Strasburg and possibly Drew Storen.

Considering that the Red Sox got Kimbrel for a mixed back of prospects, it may be possible for the Yanks to do something similar to land Aroldis Chapman (i.e. hold onto Mateo, Judge, Bird).

Would be heck of an offseason if they can manage adding Strasburg to the rotation, replace Miller with Chapman and Gardner with Upton.

I've heard about the rumored Gardner/Paxton deal...I don't know enough about Paxton to say whether or not I like that enough to make that trade. My first thoughts when I heard it was no, I wouldn't do, but maybe if they replace Gardner with Upton, then that would make sense.

As for the Strasburg trade, wow, I haven't heard that at all, and I would be surprised if Washington would move him. But, if they would for this package, and we could replace Miller with Chapman (especially for a bunch of mid-tier prospects) then its an absolute no brainer. Moving out Miller and Gardner and potentially replacing them with Chapman, Strasburg and Upton would be an A+++ offseason.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by moocow007 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:32 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Also talk about the Yankees possibly working on a deal with the Nationals that would send both Gardner and Andrew Miller to the Nats in exchange for Stephen Strasburg and possibly Drew Storen.

I've heard about the rumored Gardner/Paxton deal...I don't know enough about Paxton to say whether or not I like that enough to make that trade. My first thoughts when I heard it was no, I wouldn't do, but maybe if they replace Gardner with Upton, then that would make sense.

As for the Strasburg trade, wow, I haven't heard that at all, and I would be surprised if Washington would move him. But, if they would for this package, and we could replace Miller with Chapman (especially for a bunch of mid-tier prospects) then its an absolute no brainer. Moving out Miller and Gardner and potentially replacing them with Chapman, Strasburg and Upton would be an A+++ offseason.

Yeah Strasburg, Chapman and Upton would be one primo offseason for Cashman.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,605

Post#15 » by bishnykfan » Wed Dec 9, 2015 4:52 pm

Yankees made their first big move of the winter yesterday acquiring 2B Starlin Castro from the Cubs for SP/RP Adam Warren and utility man Brendan Ryan.

Hate losing a good young arm in Warren, but Castro is a nice upgrade from what the Yankees have and were going to put out at second base. He's young and reasonably priced for the next four years. Being right handed will help also, he will balance the lineup a bit. Not a no brainer, but it looks like it could be a pretty good deal for NY.

Now need to concentrate on adding a few arms, one starter and at least one if not 2-3 bullpen arms. Wonder what Cashman has up his sleeve considering how quiet the Yankees have been in free agency and how active they seem to be in trades with both Gardner and Miller seeming like potential players to be moved.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by moocow007 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:09 pm

I liked the Warren (and Ryan) for Castro deal.

Has a similar look and feel of the Shane Green for Didi Gregorious trade though Castro is a more talented player than Gregorious.

Losing Warren is tough but honestly the Yankees are very deep with Warren/Green type (fringe starter/solid reliever) players in their upper minors (thanks to all the years of drafting safe, durable, "proven" college types with low ceilings but high floors, instead of riskier high upside HS types with high ceilings but low floors). A lot easier to replace a Warren type player than it is to find a Castro type player for them. Castro obviously comes with a lot of baggage but we're talking about a 3 time All-Star 2B that just turned 26 years old. IF they can turn him around (and he was on a tear last season after being moved to 2B and having had what many believe to be his wakeup call after Maddon benched him).

When Castro is tuned in he's a proven elite major league talent with 3 All-Star appearances and 1000+ hits. Not too late again considering he just turned 26. It's the "tuned in" that the Yankees can hopefully work on and unlock (and keep unlocked). If they can do that we're talking about a perennial All-Star 2B that they just traded for (for a 5th starter "slash" long relief man who is 2 years older and a all glove no bat journeyman utility player) who also so happens to be a righty run producer (which is what they are looking for).

What I didn't understand was the Justin Wilson trade. Both Cessa and Green (neither of whom have much more upside due to their advanced age) are considered fringe major league caliber starting pitchers. Even though Justin Wilson isn't an elite talent what he is is a proven reliever that can perform under pressure in the majors, who can throw strikes and get people out. With the heavy emphasis on relievers it's hard to imagine that this is all they could have gotten for Wilson. Don't see either guy as anything more than part of the treadmill between the Bronx and AAA.

What's especially odd when you consider what they got for Wilson is what they got for Warren...and what other teams that have traded proven strikeout throwing back end of the bullpen guys this offseason. Just very odd.

Oh well...in any case...welcome Starlin Castro, Luis Cessa and Chad Green.

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#17 » by Phish Tank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:04 am

So the yanks made their second move in acquiring aroldis chapman for four minor leaguers including Rookie Davis (potential mid-to-end of rotation starter), tony renda (second baseman irrelevant due to the Castro trade), Caleb Cotham (fringe reliever with low upside at best), and Eric Jagielo (can hit a bit at third, but can't field the position).

While Chapman might start off the year suspended, we really didn't give up much of value. The guy with the highest upside is Davis, but we have starters throughout AAA. Jagielo may end up at first and we have Bird there already.

If Chapman is suspended more than 50 days, we will have his arbitration year pushed back one year, if that helps. I'd say this is a low risk high upside move. Chapman moves to the Wilson role and we will have a potent 7th-9th inning pitchers.

Sent from the phish tank
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 2:06 am

Looks like the Gouriell brothers defected from Cuba. Yulieski plays 3rd and has said he's a huge Yankee fan. He's considered the best player in Cuba. Any chance the Yanks can trade Headley?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#19 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Pretty much Brian Cashman is whispering, "Commitment to letting bad contracts end..." This is another, unenthusiastic let's hope for the Wild Card.

Sure Cashman has stocked the pen with three lights out guys in Chapman, Miller, and Betances.

But he's hoping the young pups can get the Yanks some wins while Pineda, Tanaka, and Sabbathia can break down at any moment. Last time that happened, Cashman went with Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, and Joba Chamberlain. Didn't work out. The following season Cashman went and re-signed Clemens and Pettitte because George Steinbrenner thought it was a joke.

"Bean counter" Hal, I don't know if I can see this front office rediscovering the Yanks' winning ways.

Cashman should NEVER be allowed to trade with Seattle again.

Return to New York Yankees