ImageImageImageImageImage

The RJ trade

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

The RJ trade 

Post#1 » by KnickTerp12 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:22 pm

I know we got Vizcaino for him, who is completely worthless, but what else did we get for him? Any good minor league prospects.

It looks like his back surgery was pretty effective and he's been doin alright, although its the NL. 10 K's today. I know he got rocked in his first start but I think he's been solid since. He woulda been nice to solidify our staff with the injuries.

I suppose the major argument will be that there is no way Roger Clemens returns if the Unit is still in pinstripes.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#2 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sun May 20, 2007 10:26 pm

We got Ross Ohlendorf who projects as a prospect that should be able to make an impact. I'm not as high on Steven Jackson as some, but he has the potential to be a contributor as well. Gonzalez, the MI we got, is an excellent defensive player and if he develops any bat then he can be a major league starter.

The Johnson move was addition by subtraction, even if he wins 25 games with the DBacks it was still a good move for us.
Jitpal
General Manager

Re: The RJ trade 

Post#3 » by Jitpal » Sun May 20, 2007 10:44 pm

KnickTerp12 wrote:I know we got Vizcaino for him, who is completely worthless, but what else did we get for him? Any good minor league prospects.

It looks like his back surgery was pretty effective and he's been doin alright, although its the NL. 10 K's today. I know he got rocked in his first start but I think he's been solid since. He woulda been nice to solidify our staff with the injuries.

I suppose the major argument will be that there is no way Roger Clemens returns if the Unit is still in pinstripes.

Vizcaino wasn't supposed to be this bad. He is an above average setup man who dominated lefties and could get righties out. So he was supposed to slot in the 7th/8th inning role when Proctor and Farnsworth couldn't go or they weren't needed to go. He came and did well, so Joe pitched him every 4 out of 5 days for like 3 weeks. His arm is dead. He is going to get some arm strength back at the tail end of the year but not before then.

Stephen Jackson is converted position player I believe and he had been horrible up until last season where he had 2.50ish ERA. I don't see him being better than a Rasner or Karstens. Alberto Gonzalez (infielder) is a SS by nature and a very good one at that but he has the versatility to play some 2nd and 3rd. He could probably be taught to play a little elsewhere as well. I think he will develop into a better Miguel Cairo defensively and probably a little better with the bat. He should be a lot quicker than him and be much better at sacrificing as well. I think he will be a very good bench player. I could see him up here late August/early September or next year out of spring training for our bench.

The key of the deal was Ross Ohlendorf. He projects to be a 2/3 in a rotation. He has a very good sinker, Wang-like but slightly slower in the 90-93 range. Doesn't give up a lot of home runs and has a lot of ground balls. He had a lot of control issues this year and then they found and operated on some spine problem which should fix the control issues because he was known as a guy who had very good control before then. -Jitpal
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by PR07 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:22 am

Ohlendorf is a solid prospect, Jackson is probably boom or bust, and Gonzalez may be replacing Miguel Cairo as our utility defensive infielder sooner rather than later. Vizcaino can be a solid set-up guy, but he just has a tired arm right now and not a lot of confidence.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#5 » by 34Celtic » Mon May 21, 2007 2:00 pm

Roger Clemens does not sign with us if RJ is still here because

A) He hates Randy Johnson

and

B) We don't have the financial flexibility
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#6 » by VinnyTheMick » Mon May 21, 2007 5:08 pm

34Celtic wrote:Roger Clemens does not sign with us if RJ is still here because

A) He hates Randy Johnson

and

B) We don't have the financial flexibility

C) RJ would bitch about Clemens "family" clause
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein