Moderator: HMFFL

TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

A's Agree To Sign Two FA 

Post#1 » by TSC25 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:27 am

A's Agree To Sign Brandon McCarthy
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 5:52pm CST]
The A's agreed to sign Brandon McCarthy to a one-year deal, the team announced. The contract guarantees McCarthy $1MM, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on Twitter) and the deal includes $1.6MM in incentives, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). LSW baseball represents the right-hander.

McCarthy, 27, could be valuable in 2011 if he's healthy. He tossed 97 1/3 of 4.62 ERA ball for the 2009 Rangers, but the shoulder injuries have continued to slow the former top prospect's progress. McCarthy made three trips to the disabled list at Triple-A Oklahoma City this year, as he battled shoulder problems. When healthy, he was effective, posting a 3.36 ERA with 7.0 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9 in 56 1/3 innings (nine starts). He then made four starts in the Dominican Winter League, so his arm appears to be responding well.

McCarthy became a free agent after the Rangers outrighted him off of their 40-man roster last month. The Astros, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Padres, Mariners, and Tigers also had interest after he became a free agent. Since McCarthy will have less than six years of service time after 2011, Oakland will be able to retain him for 2012.

A's Agree To Sign Hideki Matsui
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 4:39pm CST]
The A's have agreed to sign Hideki Matsui to a one-year deal, according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The deal will be announced tomorrow morning after Matsui's physical, Slusser writes. Agent Arn Tellem of WMG represents the slugger.

Earlier today, when it appeared that the sides were nearing a deal, SI's Jon Heyman suggested the agreement would pay Matsui around $7MM. The 36-year-old arrived in the AL West last year and batted .274/.361/.459 in 554 plate appearances. Matsui hit 21 homers and 24 doubles in his first MLB season on a team other than the Yankees.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,143

Re: A's Agree To Sign Two FA 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:17 am

Hideki Matsui to me was just a move to attract more attention to the club. It's going to work, but I doubt Matsui is going to provide us with a great deal of production. I hope he proves me wrong!
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: A's Agree To Sign Two FA 

Post#3 » by TSC25 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm

HMFFL wrote:Hideki Matsui to me was just a move to attract more attention to the club. It's going to work, but I doubt Matsui is going to provide us with a great deal of production. I hope he proves me wrong!

I agree,I felt Vladimir would had been a better sign for us.

Return to Oakland Athletics