Trades in 2011 and the 2012 payroll

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Trades in 2011 and the 2012 payroll 

Post#21 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:46 am

jumanji wrote:
Put him in a deal with League for Devin Meseraco.

A 33 year old 3B with a .473 OPS and a closer with a 6.2 K/9 ratio? I just don't see the value there for one of the better catching prospects out there. League's a good closer but he's not one of the elite.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:50 am

TTown wrote:I would send Figgins to Cinci and I would pay 100% of his salary. I want him cut.

Top 8, tied game, runners at the corners, 2 outs. Figgins at first. Carp up at the plate.

Figgins gets picked off.

PICKED OFF with the tying run 90 feet away.

He's so horrible it's like his awfulness is an all-consuming dying star, and it sucks up everything into its mass. I want him gone. I don't care how, or how much it costs a bunch of suits in the front office who don't give a damn anyway. If we have to sit there and watch a bad product, I want it slightly less bad with him out of town.

He might be my least favorite Mariner, ever.

Same ****, different day. Of course he goes out there and gets hit, draws a couple walks.

And so I think maybe...just maybe he can get on a little run and look respectable again. Then he makes an error at 3B he shouldn't make. And then he gets picked off in a situation where that just can happen. And he's right back where he belongs...

I hate watching him play baseball. Let him to go the land where Aurilia, Spiezio, Cirillo, and all our other failed IF signings live in perfect harmony.
sharkz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#23 » by sharkz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Figgy.........

man if Cincy really wants him they either really hate Rolen, or Bavasi is controlling them behind the scenes.

Carp and Halman hit nicely last night though, and even Ryan got in to the act.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#24 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Sweezo wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Sorry guys in advance if this is the wrong place to post this. What would it take from Toronto to get Franklin Guiteriez? Obviously JP Arencibia or Travis d'Arnaud (depending on which catcher is moved) Jose Bautista, Rickey Romero, Brendon Morrow and Lowrie are off limits right now.

Our farm system is one of the best in baseball and can help the rebuilding process if needed with your team.

I think Franklin would fit in Toronto quite well and I think is one of the if not the best defensive CF in all of baseball.

I guess the question is: Why would you want him? His defensive range in CF is quite possibly the best in the game, but don't you already have some decent speed in the OF? Perhaps your team is better equipped offensively to handle his offensive woes...

Since he first started having intestinal issues last year Guti's been in a bit of a freefall offense. He doesn't look as 'fit' as he once did, his strike recognition seems off, and he lacks the power he once had to hit the ball with a little authority.

If you have any decent offensive prospects to offer, especially at OF/C/SS/3B, I'd be interested. I don't know if the M's or Blue Jays would be, but I sure would. ;)

Well Toronto best prospect is a 3Bmen named Bret Lowrie and is ranked #10 right now in all of baseball as a prospect so your not getting him, If you wanted a C then Toronto has two good young hitters in Travis d'Arnauld and JP Arencibia or could move Carlos Perez a solid two way catcher with good potential. Right now our CF position is quite weak we have Raji Davis and Corey Patterson splitting the time there with Eric Thames playing seldom mins. The best I would do is like one of JPA or Travis + Dickie Joe Thon a SS that you wanted. I just don't see Toronto offering you a ton of prospects for Franklin right now. Yes he's a stud defensive CF but his average is going to hurt his value a bit
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
sharkz
Freshman

Post#25 » by sharkz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Guti eh. He's obviously a better hitter than he's been this year, seriously the guy was always pretty thin but right now he looks skeletal after the stomach thing. He's lost all his power and right now he's relying on little grounders up the middle for hits. Still, I think he's worth at least Arencibia/D'Arnaud/Perez(I'm a Arencibia fan) and another fairly decent prospect. Gold Glove CFs that aren't an embaressment offensively when healthy don't grow on trees y'know.

Don't know much about DJ Thon, we do have Nick Franklin in our system though and I'm a huge fan of him.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Sweezo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Hahaha...bases loaded with no one out, and they can't score a run. Not one. Amazing.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#27 » by Bulltalk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 am

Sweezo wrote:Hahaha...bases loaded with no one out, and they can't score a run. Not one. Amazing.

I'm sorry I missed that.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#28 » by jumanji » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:14 am

I think it's becoming painfully obvious that Justin Smoak and Franklin Guttierez just arent major league hitters, hopefully i'm wrong.

Seperate Felix, Pineda and Ackley from the rest of the roster and let's make some deals.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#29 » by TTown » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Seager optioned to Tacoma. Lueke is back.

This is our line-up today... I'm not kidding:

RF Ichiro
SS Ryan
3B Kennedy
C Olivo
1B Smoak
DH Bard
CF Guti
LF Figgins
2B Wilson
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by TTown » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Christ. We're down 5-1, we load the bases in the 8th, and Olivo actually comes through. Grand slam. Whole new ball game.

Pauley takes over in the bottom of the 8th and promptly gives up two runs. Down 7-5. I guess if the bats start to 'kind of' come to life, starting and relief pitching must obviously go in the tank to make room.
ImageImageImageImage
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm

sharkz wrote:Guti eh. He's obviously a better hitter than he's been this year, seriously the guy was always pretty thin but right now he looks skeletal after the stomach thing. He's lost all his power and right now he's relying on little grounders up the middle for hits. Still, I think he's worth at least Arencibia/D'Arnaud/Perez(I'm a Arencibia fan) and another fairly decent prospect. Gold Glove CFs that aren't an embaressment offensively when healthy don't grow on trees y'know.

Don't know much about DJ Thon, we do have Nick Franklin in our system though and I'm a huge fan of him.

Well I would give you one out of the 3 as far as a catcher is concerned, some Jays fans say d'Arnauld is off limits right now cause of his arm and improving power. I doubt we give you 2 top prospects for him right now. If you wanted Aaron Hill and d'Arnauld or something like that fine but Toronto has one of the best farm systems in all of baseball right now and isn't going to sell a good part of it for Franklin right now.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#32 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm

I'll trade Guti for a bag of flaming hot cheetos.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by TTown » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:51 pm

I think Seattle would have to be floored with an offer for Guti. Best defensive CF in baseball, playing 81 games in a park that demands excellence in center. He's locked up for awhile at a price that doesn't break the bank. That said, next year will obviously be a big year for him: I can forgive his sluggish offensive results last year and horrific ones this year if, in fact, whatever ailment he had was affecting him, and as a result he lost a ton of weight and just doesn't have the strength. He needs to get it back this offseason. What'd he have, 20 HRs in '09? And he's got 1 in 180 ABs this year? Something's clearly going on, and if they're confident it's getting better, time to produce in 2012.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#34 » by sharkz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:35 am

Right now, even 2010 Guti is a Bautista compared to this Guti out there everyday.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#35 » by jumanji » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 pm

TTown wrote:I think Seattle would have to be floored with an offer for Guti. Best defensive CF in baseball, playing 81 games in a park that demands excellence in center. He's locked up for awhile at a price that doesn't break the bank. That said, next year will obviously be a big year for him: I can forgive his sluggish offensive results last year and horrific ones this year if, in fact, whatever ailment he had was affecting him, and as a result he lost a ton of weight and just doesn't have the strength. He needs to get it back this offseason. What'd he have, 20 HRs in '09? And he's got 1 in 180 ABs this year? Something's clearly going on, and if they're confident it's getting better, time to produce in 2012.

I agree we have to give him at least the first half of next year and i actually think he'll be ok but the glove thing isnt exactly winning them ball games. There are a lot of guys that can patrol center field.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by TTown » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:55 am

Don't look now, but we're getting dominated by the worst pitcher in the American League, if not all of baseball. In a cartoon ballpark, no less.
ImageImageImageImage
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#37 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:38 am

13 game losing streak, here we come!! :D Let's keep it going!!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Sweezo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 am

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:13 game losing streak, here we come!! :D Let's keep it going!!

Just ridiculous. If Jack Z wants to keep his job, he's probably going to have to do something fast.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by TTown » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Jack Z's time may be nearing an end, but I'm not sure that's the answer. He seems competent enough, but the salary has decreased on him each year. Whoever's actually pulling the strings isn't helping out, at all. I mean, Jack Z may end up being the fall guy, like Wak last year, but I really don't have a solid opinion of him one way or the other yet. Kind of like Wak. I don't think Wak was the genius he appeared to be after 2009, I don't think he was anywhere as bad as the team looked in 2010.

An offense as historically inept as ours was last year, and the only two offensive acquisitions made were Jack Cust and Miguel Olivo? Something tells me Jack Z's hands were tied.

Seattle sports fans are a fickle bunch. If you win, they will show up. That's been proven time and again. I guess I don't see why spending an extra 20-30 mil is so frowned upon in this organization. You will make it back at the gates.
ImageImageImageImage
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Well it looks like Toronto and Seattle are far apart on a trade. Most of our guys (Toronto posters) don't want to move any sort of good prospect for him and don't even want him. Right now Toronto has 3 average fielders playing right now (if they continue to play Jose Bautista at 3B) I would have liked to see him in Toronto but it looks like that isn't going to happen.

Return to Seattle Mariners