Fister traded to Detroit, reportedly

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Fister traded to Detroit, reportedly 

Post#1 » by TTown » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Seems like it just went down, some conflicting information being sent.

I guess we get OF Casper Wells, 3B Francisco Martinez, and LHP Charlie Furbush, perhaps a 4th piece, in exchange for Fister and Pauley.

I don't know much about the pieces we're receiving, so I won't make a judgment. I just hope they pan out, I really liked Fister. He was young, good, and under team control for awhile.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Re: Fister traded to Detroit, reportedly 

Post#2 » by TTown » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 pm

A Detroit-slanted profile on Martinez:

http://www.detroitbaseballpage.com/farm ... o-martinez
ImageImageImageImage
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#3 » by jumanji » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:31 pm

Going to miss Fister a lot more than seeing Vargas or Bedard go but they have to gamble, if that's the word, on some people that can freaking hit. There was a line in one report that there could be someone else coming our way at some point and it may be "significant", so along with everyone else will hold judgement.

On a sidenote Bedard absolutley bombed in his audition for the east coast scouts. After he was yanked my wife said the scouts were probably half way to Seatac by the time that he got to the dugout.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:08 pm

I don't know enough about the players involved to know whether it's a good deal or not. I was kind of hoping for immediate help, but this trade looks to be more of the long term help variety: Martinez is the prize but he's young and needs more time.

I think Bedard still has trade value; he looked healthy and was only having issues with control, which he won't after a start or two. Keep in mind he took a couple weeks off and wasn't given a rehab assignment.

That said, that game last night was torture. I left early and decided to go see Captain America so my night wasn't a complete waste [although it was fun seeing many Sonics great at the game for Sonics Celebration Night]. Oh--and Lou Brock was at the game...also pretty cool.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by TTown » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm operating under the assumption Wells will take over left and Carp will DH. Yea? Nay? Perhaps with regular playing time, he can gather a rhythm.
ImageImageImageImage
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by jumanji » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:41 pm

TTown wrote:I'm operating under the assumption Wells will take over left and Carp will DH. Yea? Nay? Perhaps with regular playing time, he can gather a rhythm.

I think they will get him in there right away.

Maybe i just dont get how this stuff works but i'm still not understanding why we couldnt have made a better offer for Colby Rasmus or Hunter Pence. Even Pence at his age is still young enough that if we arent competing till 2013 or so he would still be in his prime. Like i said i just dont get it.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#7 » by Sweezo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:21 pm

jumanji wrote:Maybe i just dont get how this stuff works but i'm still not understanding why we couldnt have made a better offer for Colby Rasmus or Hunter Pence. Even Pence at his age is still young enough that if we arent competing till 2013 or so he would still be in his prime. Like i said i just dont get it.

The Phillies gave up a ton for Pence with a deal centered around a big offensive prospect. If that's what the Astros were looking for, we didn't have a shot.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by TTown » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Pineda just smoked the Rays. Took a no hitter into the 6th. Carp drove in Ackley for the go-ahead run late.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#9 » by sharkz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 am

Pineda's back in business. Ackley and Carp are beasts seriously.

I'll miss Fister. Detroit must realise they got a pretty damn good pitcher that's young and cheap. Anybody know much about the guys we're getting? I've never been much in to looking at prospects apart from our own.

Ah well. Wish him luck, and hope he doesnt do a Washburn. At least he'll have plenty of run support now :lol:

One more minor move btw: Laffey and Cortes are swapping uniforms. I have no idea whether or not is this some kind of overreaction to Laffey's recent stinkbombs or did I just miss some 40 man roster thing with the trade.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by jumanji » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:12 am

I'm pretty much convinced the only guys on this team that can hit are Ichiro, Ackley and Carp with a slight nod towards Brendan Ryan.

Justin Smoak to me is a major dissapointment, he cannot square up a baseball.
sharkz
Freshman

Post#11 » by sharkz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:58 am

Yeah I think we have to start maybe considering temporarily demoting Smoak just to let him remember how to crush a ball again. I still like the guy but he needs to wake up and kill a baseball soon, whether it's in Tacoma or Seattle. I wouldn't be so quick in saying Carp is gonna be a beast though, could just be a hot streak. Halman came up and had a little hot streak and now he's back to hitting .240, .250. I'd be surprised to be honest if Carp could hit, say, .270 for the way to be honest. Then again, he'd still be better than most of our lineup.
sharkz
Freshman

Post#12 » by sharkz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:52 am

By the way, looks like Bedard is likely not to be traded. Reports coming in that say Rich Harden to Red Sox. Guess they got turned off last night. Now that Cleveland looks like they're getting Ubaldo, I think the only scenario left is some kind of Yankees swoop for Bedard. Still, don't think Jack Z will trade 2 starters, even though Furbush has started before......

Return to Seattle Mariners