Some recent hitting trends

TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Some recent hitting trends 

Post#1 » by TTown » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Carp. Called up June 8, demoted June 29. Hit .200 (7/35) with 0 HRs. Called up again July 19. Since, he's 32/86 (.372) w/ 4 HRs, and he's currently on a 12-game hit streak. Overall on the season, he's .322/.379/.883.

Casper Wells' first game with us was July 31. Since, he's 9/29 (.310) with a HR, and a .414 OBP. He tends to get more days off; he didn't play last night, and only played twice against the Angels and Rangers. Not entirely sure why, but I'm not privy to the happenings of the clubhouse. One would think, with Smoak out, they'd try to fit Wells, Carp, and Robinson into the line-up as much as possible while they still can. He's hit safely in 6 of his 8 games as a Mariner.

Guti's had 2 hits in each of his last 4 games, and has currently hit safely in 5 straight. Since August 1, he's 12/35 (.343). His season-long BA was below Mendoza for literally all of July, so hopefully this is a sign he's breaking out of the slump he started the season with in late May. He's at .216, which is at least better than the .195 he started August with.

Dustin Ackely is Dustin Ackley. On the season (168 AB), he's .298/.374/.880. No one talked about his speed or defense prior to his call-up, but both have been excellent to go with his mature-beyond-his-years bat. I now tip my hat to the 2008 Mariners for sweeping Oakland in that season finale and allowing Washington to swoop in and steal Steven Strasburg. Love, love, love the Ackley.

Ichiro has 130 hits, and we only have 45 games left. Either Ichiro's going to have a career September, or he's going to have to wave goodbye to that 200-hit season streak. He's been hovering between .264-.274 since mid-June.

This one's stolen from Lookout Landing, but Miguel Olivo has not walked since May 31.
ImageImageImageImage
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Re: Some recent hitting trends 

Post#2 » by jumanji » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 pm

First off thanks for a much needed new thread.

As to some of your points, Carp is showing that his crazy numbers down at Tacoma arent a fluke and i see big things for him. Not sure if he's your prototypical 4 hitter down the road but for now he's looking great.

Robinson looks like he may be a year or two away, i'd probably go with Carp and Wells in left/dh and Smoak at first (once he comes back).

Great to see Gutti getting better and i think he'll be a much improved hitter next year, not worried about him at this point.

Ichiro is sort of holding the team back a bit, he isnt producing anything that would make a differance in winning a ballgame and their hands are tied with what they can do with him. Pray that someone wants to trade for him in the offseason.

Lastly the Ms seem so far behind Boston it's scary or maybe that isnt a fair comaparison.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:42 pm

jumanji wrote:Robinson looks like he may be a year or two away, i'd probably go with Carp and Wells in left/dh and Smoak at first (once he comes back).

Agreed. Although I like the potential Robinson has shown; he's having issues with making contact which he may or may not improve on. But he's not like Peguero where he looks completely overmatched in every facet of the game.

Guti's looked alot better. The power hasn't really returned yet but it's getting there.
sharkz
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#4 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:14 am

Robinson isn't a complete hacker like Peguero was, even if he doesn't look like it now. Last year in Triple A Robinson walked 10.8% of the time, and 14.3% in AA in 09. I think this gives us more reason to believe in him more than Peguero, even if he's raw.

Carp is likely not this good, he's got a .417 BABIP right now and I think we all know that is impossible to keep up. Still, if he hits, say .280 then he would still be a perfectly usable player with some pop.

oh and we can't make a hitting thread without mentioning WILLY MO CALLUP :D
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by TTown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:08 am

Shame on me for forgetting Jack Wilson, who's been hitting really well since he started playing again. Another two hits for him tonight.

Another 2-hit night for Guti, as well, his fifth in a row. 2 more hits for Casper Wells.

Carp extends his hitting streak, he drove in two in the 1st. Ackley got a hit.

League is in for the save as I type this, we're up 5-4.
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#6 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 am

28 for League.

Carp and Wells bash more balls.

Where's the Jack Wilson offers?

Even Ichiro is getting in to the act. Is he gonna start hitting home runs now that he can't hit infield singles anymore?
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by jumanji » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:40 pm

sharkz wrote:28 for League.

Carp and Wells bash more balls.

Where's the Jack Wilson offers?

Even Ichiro is getting in to the act. Is he gonna start hitting home runs now that he can't hit infield singles anymore?

I look at Ichiro like a stock you'd like to get rid of, if he has a good week or two then i would move him. Ichiro isnt part of the long term plan here and the sooner they can realize that the better.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by TTown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Wells walks, Jack Wilson eventually drives him in. Jack freaking Wilson. It's like veteran rejuvination month between him and Guti.

Speaking of Guti, he just hit a sac fly and drove Wilson in. 2-0 M's. Ackley walks, now up... Carp, bases juiced.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by TTown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:56 pm

And Carp with an RBI single! The man just won't quit. Bases juiced for Willy Mo.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by TTown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:27 pm

4-1 M's, bot 5

Consecutive singles by Ichiro, Guti, and Ackley to start the 5th. Ackley with an RBI.

Meanwhile, on the mound, Furbush has allowed 2 hits and 1 run through 5.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by TTown » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:39 pm

5-1 M's, bot 6

Solo shot by Wells. Second HR in as many days. Lovin' that Fister trade!
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#12 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 pm

CHARLIE IS BITING THE RED SOX
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:00 pm

TTown wrote:Lovin' that Fister trade!

Hilarious. i think the consensus on whether the Fister trade was going to be good or bad was dependent on who the PTBNL ended up being. But I'll be damned if Wells/Furbush haven't surprised the hell out of me. The PTBNL now just seems like a really awesome bonus. Meanwhile Pauley has been hit hard, and Fister has a 6.14 ERA and 5/1 K/BB ratio.

The M's are finally fun to watch again.
sharkz
Freshman

Post#14 » by sharkz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Gray comes in and gives up a 2 run shot. Suddenly its a 2 run game. No history repeat please???
ORL_4LIFE
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by ORL_4LIFE » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:46 pm

man Detroit is really not going to trade with us anymore.
sharkz
Freshman

Post#16 » by sharkz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:51 am

In Jack Z we trust.

If we could get Smyly or Castellanos also then Detroit is really gonna be pissed.

Apparantly Vargas has cleared waivers......hard to believe nobody put in a claim for him tbh so I don't completely believe it yet. Letting him go might stretch our rotation pretty thin though, especially if we shut down Pineda soon.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by jumanji » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Starting to see some reason for hope for the next couple of years. Eventually i see the outfield as Gutti, Robinson and Wells with Carp and Smoak as the dh/1b. This leaves gaping holes at 3b and C. They are going to be desperate for HR power at 3rd. (Alex Liddi could be an option if he cuts down on stikeouts)

Pitching wise i think Paxton and Hultzen could be a year away or at the latest 2013. See some real positives here.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Sweezo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:32 pm

jumanji wrote:Starting to see some reason for hope for the next couple of years. Eventually i see the outfield as Gutti, Robinson and Wells with Carp and Smoak as the dh/1b.

Quite often, when I read about Casper Wells his ceiling is listed as that of a 4th OF due to average defense/power/etc.

And yet in 265 MLB plate appearances, he has put up a line of .293/.352/.504. This kid put up 25/25 season in the minor leagues a couple years ago. A couple of his HR this year have been on flick-of-the-wrist swings where he placed the ball into the LF bleachers despite only having one hand firmly on the bat. I think Wells may be undervalued a bit...?
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by TTown » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:04 am

Two walks have preceded two HRs for the Jays, they're up 4-3 in the 3rd. M's countered a 2-0 Jays lead in the 2nd with 3 runs of their own: Trayvon doubled in Wells from first, Wilson singled in Trayvon, Ichiro hit a sac fly scoring Seager.

How weird is it that with people on base and Ichiro's at the plate, I'm wishing it was Jack Wilson?
ImageImageImageImage
sharkz
Freshman

Post#20 » by sharkz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:19 am

Here goes Carp again...

Man Jack Wilson has picked up Carpitis. At least he picked a decent time to do it, now we might be able to turn him into something alright.

Pineda's walking guys left and right tonight.....

Edit: Just as I finish Lawrie homers. Thats 3 homers given up already. Not a good start.

Return to Seattle Mariners