ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Sunday 3:30PM)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,253

Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Sunday 3:30PM) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:02 pm

It's time to beat these schmucks.

No. 4 L.A. Clippers vs. No. 5 Dallas Mavericks (starts Sunday)

If you watch one first-round series, make it this one. This pairing is a rematch of the best series of the 2021 playoffs, a seven-gamer that saw several momentum shifts and tactical innovations, and among the best of the 2020 bubble.

The superstar pairing of Luka Dončić and Kawhi Leonard is instant must-see TV, and the secondary stars (Kyrie Irving, Paul George, James Harden) are equally compelling. Leonard is a two-time champion, but otherwise the key players on both teams are still battling playoff demons of varying sizes. Finally, the winner has solid odds as a sleeper to come out of the West bracket.

The Clippers won two of the three meetings, but all of them were played before Christmas. Since then Dallas acquired P.J. Washington and, more notably, Daniel Gafford, who has been a monstrous pick-and-roll partner feasting off lobs from Doncic. Dallas went 24-7 from mid-February until resting its key players the final weekend.

The Clips, meanwhile, integrated Harden after a choppy start, morphed Russell Westbrook into a sixth man supreme and were good enough to go 32-9 over a full half-season stretch this year.

As ever, the state of the Clippers depends heavily on whether Kawhi Leonard will actually play in the games. He had enjoyed one of his healthiest seasons, playing 68 games, until missing the final seven with knee soreness.

This, of course, harkens back to last season when Leonard amazed in Game 1, scoring 38 in a Clippers’ road win, before missing the last three games with a knee issue as the Clips meekly exited in five. Even if Leonard comes back, can he make it through an entire series this time?

^by John Hollinger
60/21/10
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R1 - G1 - Mavs @ Clippers (Sunday) 

Post#2 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:29 pm

We've upgraded from 21 year old Luka, injured Porzingis, DFS, Boban and 2nd season Brunson (averaged 8 ppg) to 6th season Luka, Kyrie Irving, PJ Washington, Lively and Gafford. Luka nearly won those other two series somehow. Luka will be ready, the team will be ready. Oh and they've added Playoff Harden and Westbrook, not sure if that's a good thing for them.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,110

Post#3 » by GermanFan120 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm

Dear Coach Kidd,

Can you please make sure we don't play small ball squad and have Maxi as our center for the MAJORITY of the game?

We have Gafford and Lively, and they will eat the Clippers alive. And if they dare put Zubac against our big men, you have Luka and Ky to go iso on Zubac all day and all night.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,849

Post#4 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:50 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:Dear Coach Kidd,

Can you please make sure we don't play small ball squad and have Maxi as our center for the MAJORITY of the game?

We have Gafford and Lively, and they will eat the Clippers alive. And if they dare put Zubac against our big men, you have Luka and Ky to go iso on Zubac all day and all night.

Kidd has only to watch the games and doesn't make any experiments but let play the guys like last couple of months.

Thank you Jason.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pm

Lively update? Is he ready to go for G1?
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 966

Post#6 » by tleikheen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:04 pm

Clippers rely on alot of wing play and this would be the opportunity and excuse to cut into Maxi's minutes for OMax. Mavs perimeter defense is Exum ,DJJ, & PJ. I expect THJ and Green to become more situational players and get less minutes in the playoffs. IF OMax is ready to take and make 3's then is defense can be out there and make the Mavs that much tougher.

Lively & Gaff give you athleticism and rim protection. Luka ,Kyrie and Dante give you the best guard play for the playoffs. DJJ and PJ could use one more player that brings defensive athleticism and length to the perimeter.

Has OMax showed up in time to give useful minutes as the backup wing to play and help on the perimeter.
MassimoPayne
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#7 » by MassimoPayne » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:54 pm

With all respect I don't see giving a player minutes against the Clippers who doesn't play all season except the last few games
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#8 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:00 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Lively update? Is he ready to go for G1?

I have no idea the statuses of Lively or Kawhi.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#9 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:With all respect I don't see giving a player minutes against the Clippers who doesn't play all season except the last few games

He should have been getting minutes, especially when Green was out. But I agree.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 966

Post#10 » by tleikheen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:18 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:
With all respect I don't see giving a player minutes against the Clippers who doesn't play all season except the last few games

Yet in a very important game to OKC OMax trusted his athleticism and was the only one who could make an impact while the rest were smothered over by OKC's defense. Without a doubt the team with the best player , the best talent wins out in the end.
Experience is nice ,but young experience not "old" experience. The only "old" experience Dallas needs is Kyrie who has hit one the top shots in Championship history. The rest can be filled out with young veteran talent. Gaff,PJ,DJJ,Exum .The argument Maxi brings experience can be replaced easily by a young player who can impact defensively as much as Maxi does now.
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#11 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:29 pm

Lively will be ready game one.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:40 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:With all respect I don't see giving a player minutes against the Clippers who doesn't play all season except the last few games

The rotations are setted unless huge foul problems or injuries so yes, i don't think O-Max will play too.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,110

Post#13 » by GermanFan120 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:43 am

tleikheen wrote:Clippers rely on alot of wing play and this would be the opportunity and excuse to cut into Maxi's minutes for OMax. Mavs perimeter defense is Exum ,DJJ, & PJ. I expect THJ and Green to become more situational players and get less minutes in the playoffs. IF OMax is ready to take and make 3's then is defense can be out there and make the Mavs that much tougher.

Lively & Gaff give you athleticism and rim protection. Luka ,Kyrie and Dante give you the best guard play for the playoffs. DJJ and PJ could use one more player that brings defensive athleticism and length to the perimeter.

Has OMax showed up in time to give useful minutes as the backup wing to play and help on the perimeter.

No way in hell OMax will be trusted by Kidd to be playing in this playoffs, unless it is completely GARBAGE time.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#14 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am

ChipotleWest wrote:

I have no idea the statuses of Lively or Kawhi.

I think they will both be ready to go. Both team's coaches are also hesitent to share information, mainly should be part of the game plan to confuse the opponent.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Post#15 » by Archx » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 am

For me keys to win are.

Don't let some random scrubs get hot. PG and Kawhi can average a combined 60ppg, i don't care about those two. But we have very often seen in the past how some random guys get hot vs Mavs. So, what i am really concerned is don't let Powell, Russ, Mann or even someone who is a complete non factor on offense like PJ Tucker, get hot and score 3 or 4 three's in a game. I hope Kidd is very well aware of this.

Then next big thing is hustle. Mavs have been a great rebounding team with Gafford, PJ and DJJ. Athletic guys who can outrebound anyone. So, don't let guys like Zubac or Theis outmuscle you.

2 huge unknowns that we haven't seen in previous playoffs are Harden and Russ. Can these two get hot or play their usual mediocre roles? Russ will be left wide open, i really hope he doesn't randomly start shooting 50% from 3 lol.... And Harden will probably get his 15/10 games but they have to make him work for that.

Judging by their usual starting 5. One of Kyrie/Luka will be guarding either Mann or Harden. Then we have DJJ on PG and PJ on Kawhi, Gaff on Zubac. These defensive rotations can work in Mavs favor but what worries me is bench.

Exum will hold his ground but then next guy is THJ in potential Russ/PG13/N.Powell bench units. Mavs could counter that with THJ's hot shooting but he's been horrible entire year on both ends. Kyrie will have to go nuclear with bench units or Mavs will have problems in 4th Q's. I hope Maxi can continue with his dominance when he plays his natural 4 position with a returning Lively to back him up.

We know Kidd loves to play this clutch unit. Luka| THJ | Kyrie | Maxi | PJ +21.5 per 100 poss.

Still, good but those +21.5 are more in spite of THJ not because.

Luckily, lately Kidd discovered another gem named Dante Exum. A clutch lineup of Luka | Exum | Kyrie | Maxi | PJ is a whooping +42.6 per 100. So i hope this is also something Kidd is aware of. And we know Mavs have been one of the top clutch teams in the league this season.

All in all, don't screw with rotations, stick with your best weapons and don't hold your freaking hands in pockets because you're late with TO's then :D
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 am

However we will miss Doc Rivers for sure :lol:
mfletcher4177
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#17 » by mfletcher4177 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

Hi guys! I have been reading for many years but finally decided to sign up. I am really excited for this playoff series. I think this is our year. I think we at least make it to the Western Conference Finals.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#18 » by Michaellam1987 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 am

LAC starting lineup
Harden/Mann/George/Leonard/Zubac;
with Westbrook/Powell/Plumlee or Theis on bench

DAL starting lineup
Luka/Irving/DJJ/PJ/Gafford
Exum/Green/Maxi or Lively on bench

For the matchup:

LAC has to put the relatively smaller and quicker Mann on Irving, and both George and Leonard will share the workload on Luka. Harden, being the worst defender, will take on DJJ.

DAL has put DJJ and PJ on George/Leonard. Irving should be on Mann, while Luka need to handle Harden. Obviously, Zubac will be on Gafford.

Some key points:
1) Irving is able to steamroll Mann?
2) Luka can weaken Harden for his role of 3rd offensive option?
3) Which team will win the rebounding/paint battle?
4) Which team will win the bench battle?
candyless
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#19 » by candyless » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 am

The matchup will be difficult for Luka and Irving if the Clippers put up a lineup with Harden, Powell, PG, Leonard, and Mavs has to put Irving against Harden and Luka on Powell, both very challenging. The good thing is that the Clippers cannot play this lineup too long. And Gafford will be a very key person in this series.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

If Kawhi isn't at 100% then Clips have no chances. Zero.

Return to Dallas Mavericks