Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,238

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Bulls (Nov 1) 

Post#101 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:19 am

kacey ring wrote:Great game!!

What I liked:
-Lively with an all around game. 6 assists?! 7 OREBs!
-DJJ being active again and maintaining confidence in his shot after missing some early.
-Gdub raining threes again!

What I disliked:
-Luka had some head scratchers. Maybe fatigue. Bulls defensive game plan was solid against him.
-I don’t feel like Josh is attacking the rim/defense and like he’s capable of.
-Hardy only getting 14 mins with Irving out. I think he’s on the cusp of taking Curry’s mins.

Lively was always a great passer in college. So it’s awesome to see him working in the short role like he did tonight cause he can pass unlike Powell or Kleber.

Luka was forcing the ball into lively too much.

Grant is so much better than Reggie in a number of ways.

And yeah rough rough night from Josh.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,238

Post#102 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:25 am

Dallas closed tonight with

Luka
Hardy
Green
Grant
Lively

That is an average age of 22. 2 years ago Dallas’s rotation was old as hell. But nice youth movement.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,935

Post#103 » by arkuo » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:55 am

Lively's passing (at least today) is similar to Draymond's when he gets off a screen with Curry and he kicks it out to whoever in the wings. This is where most Mav fans find Powell or Kleber lacking as those two just wear blinders and just try to lay it up every time.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#104 » by arkuo » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:56 am

DJJ is carving a nice role for himself. I remember Dallas chasing after him like 2 seasons ago but the deal fell through with Miami. It was supposedly a deal with him coming with Olynyk. Well now they have their guy. I'd imagine the defense being even tighter if Dallas managed to land Thybulle as well.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,867

Post#105 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:08 am

Good W, Bulls are not the best squad in the league but without Kyrie is not so easy win games for us.

Luka blitzed all game and without a second ballhandler it's a problem, fortunately he is so good and makes better all the role players on the court (but not Powell, he is really too bad).

Lively is incredible :o , very solid. He can do great things if he will remain focused on play basket... But if a 19yo kid can have this impact we can only immagine how bad were our bigs in those years. What a shame.

Good to see Josh and Hardy maked those 3s at the end of the game. Well done Kids.
DJJ is what he is but with Luka he can be a NBA player too. At least in RS. Incredible.

Grant is an huge upgrade over DFS and Bullock, he is a real 3&D guy. And he is **** tough. OMG.

Kleber washed and injuried so that unplayble Powell is our backup C, it's the worst thing can happen to us.
Drummond looked like Shaq against him.Damn. :banghead:

Hope Holmes improve his condition and play at least 10 minutes, we need him ASAP.

Where is Kyrie? Is he already give up basketball? :lol: :lol: :x
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#106 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:28 am

ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:A prediction of finishing at .500 after last year in a conference that got better feels more realistic than it does negative but that's subjective.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Mavs were throwing away numerous games after all star break and are for sure better than last year, especially if Lively, Grant and Jones continue to play similarly like they're playing now. They're much more deep too and they have with Kyrie player, who can replace Luka, when he's out. Grizzlies are in free fall and Ja is not coming back soon, so not everyone is better. 41 wins is somewhere around 10th place, I hope you're wrong. I believe 45+ should be achievable, if we will see motivated Kyrie.
The Grizz are one team.

All the other playoff/play in teams so far are not showing any major signs of regression early. Maybe they pass some of these teams or maybe they don't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Season going on, we will see like always, some teams having problems with injuries and some teams being disappointing. If Mavs can stay healthy and somehow get Kyrie motivated, they can easily win 45+ games. Kyrie is the X factor for this team. That's why I really don't like how he started this season.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,985

Post#107 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:30 am

What I liked:
-DJJ being active again and maintaining confidence in his shot after missing some early.

What I disliked:
-Luka had some head scratchers. Maybe fatigue. Bulls defensive game plan was solid against him.
-Hardy only getting 14 mins with Irving out. I think he’s on the cusp of taking Curry’s mins.

DJJ progression:
Game 1: 12 minutes 1 point -- horrible minutes, Mavs got destroyed
Game 2: 14 minutes 4 points -- barely notices
Game 3: 27 minutes 22 points
Game 4: 31 minutes 17 points

Man, what a game by Lively, that long offensive rebound and kickout to THJ for 3+1 was something else...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#108 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 11:45 am

What I liked:

What I disliked:

Agree with a lot of this. Lively has heart and making a solid contribution early, that's prom ising. Don't want to get too excited, but its nice to see. G-Will is the kind of player every team wants and needs, he's important here.

I dont need to bring up the negative, we know who it is, the guy got his guaranteed money and now is playing like eh did his rookie year. And no, I'm not talking about Ky, because his rookie year was fine.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,223

Post#109 » by Archx » Thu Nov 2, 2023 11:46 am

I re-watched the highlights and noticed Chandler sitting next to Cuban. He was watching Lively like a hawk and was so happy anytime he did something good or made the right play. It's so refreshing having a talented center being coached by one of the best defensive centers there was. Lively could legit be to Luka what Tavares was in Real Madrid.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#110 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 11:49 am

Archx wrote:I re-watched the highlights and noticed Chandler sitting next to Cuban. He was watching Lively like a hawk and was so happy anytime he did something good or made the right play. It's so refreshing having a talented center being coached by one of the best defensive centers there was. Lively could legit be to Luka what Tavares was in Real Madrid.

WOuld be awesome, and good on CHandler. He did so much for this team and Cuban treated him like a banana peel you just toss out
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#111 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 2, 2023 12:57 pm

One thing I'm wondering, there have been barely any Luka/Lively P&R, no idea why, they ran it a lot against the Spurs.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 901

Post#112 » by kacey ring » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:01 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Man, what a game by Lively, that long offensive rebound and kickout to THJ for 3+1 was something else...

That was a nice Lively play. He’s definitely infused some energy into the team. I also enjoyed these two plays too (sorry I don’t know how to embed the fancy clips):

2Q: Lively had a screen slip and roll for a dunk. His role was easy, but I loved the dynamics of the play. It was quintessential NBA type play, where we took advantage of our guys strengths and put the defense in a bad position. It was basically a 3v3 play.

4Q: Lively caught the ball in the paint off a semi-fast break, immediately looked opposite side and hit a wide open THJ for a three. It appears he took note of THJ on the wing while coming down the court and quickly noticed Demar was stuck helping at the rim. I think most young big guys go straight up for a contested baby hook, travel, or even commit an offensive foul there.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,858

Post#113 » by Dirk » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:11 pm

Derrick Jones took compound V as a child and can levitate.

60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,858

Post#114 » by Dirk » Thu Nov 2, 2023 1:40 pm

Lively dishing.
60/21/10
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:06 pm

Williams makes 4 3s per game with 55%. Insane.

Obviously his numbers will fall a little bit but the Luka effect is awesome.

Thanks God we give away a lot of scrubs in the past 2years, unfortunately not all of them.

Green has to grow up fast otherwise trade him at the TDL for another wing or a C.
Dan1970
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#116 » by Dan1970 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:06 pm

If Derrick Jones keeps playing like this, he will be playing somewhere else next year. Someone else will poach him for more money that the Mavericks can pay him.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#117 » by arkuo » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:08 pm

Mavrelous wrote:One thing I'm wondering, there have been barely any Luka/Lively P&R, no idea why, they ran it a lot against the Spurs.

It's pretty early in the season and 3 out of 5 guys are new in the starting lineup. The 4th guy (Kyrie) just played like 30 games in a Mavs uniform. So essentially 4 new3 guys surrounding Luka. I think Kidd is doing a lot of experimenting early in the season. The lineups will get tighter as we get into the thick of things. Luckily for Dallas Lively's come out strong over Powell and Holmes.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:09 pm

Dan1970 wrote:If Derrick Jones keeps playing like this, he will be playing somewhere else next year. Someone else will poach him for more money that the Mavericks can pay him.

Best wishes playing away from Luka :lol: :lol: :lol:
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,924

Post#119 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:20 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

What I liked:

What I disliked:

Agree with a lot of this. Lively has heart and making a solid contribution early, that's prom ising. Don't want to get too excited, but its nice to see. G-Will is the kind of player every team wants and needs, he's important here.

I dont need to bring up the negative, we know who it is, the guy got his guaranteed money and now is playing like eh did his rookie year. And no, I'm not talking about Ky, because his rookie year was fine.

Agree with the first half.

But tell me how much did it upset you when your favourite player hit a clutch 3 with under a minute left? To be fair this was one of his **** performances in recent years but still came through when it mattered.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#120 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:28 pm

Dirk wrote:Lively dishing.

That's the same video from earlier post...

Return to Dallas Mavericks