Rashard Lewis needs knee surgery

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Rashard Lewis needs knee surgery 

Post#1 » by Imon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 am

Per ESPN Dallas.

DALLAS -- Forward Rashard Lewis, who signed a one-year contract with the Dallas Mavericks for the veteran's minimum last week, needs knee surgery, agent Tony Dutt confirmed.

Dutt said they aren't certain yet about the severity of the injury or how long Lewis will be sidelined.

Read this like s***. :nonono:
I hope this was part of the physical he needed to make his contract official. If this is serious we need to move on and explore our options. A 34 year old coming off a knee surgery? Unless your name is Dirk I'm giving you the stink eye.
Imon
Head Coach

Re: Rashard Lewis needs knee surgery 

Post#2 » by Imon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 am

I guess if this falls through and Lewis becomes a FA again maybe we should suggest a few alternatives?

So Lewis was brought in, ostensibly, to be Dirk's backup when he needs to rest on the bench. So the alternative would have to a PF/C who has a little bit of range and can pass a little bit. The FO probably wants a veteran who will sign the minimum.

Heard some people throw around the name Jermaine O'Neal ... not really high on him.

I had no idea that Elton Brand was an UFA. I hated the Mavs experiment with Kaman (he totally blew) but Brand was actually OK and his mid-range shot was actually not bad. Didn't get to see him play much in Atlanta though so he might be totally washed up but I'd rather have him then Lewis.

Al Harrington is an UFA ... but I think he's washed up.

Not much left on the market in terms of forwards that can be had for cheap. Beasley can probably be had for cheap but no one wants to deal with his problems...
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#3 » by bran muffin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am

Imon wrote:So Lewis was brought in, ostensibly, to be Dirk's backup when he needs to rest on the bench. So the alternative would have to a PF/C who has a little bit of range and can pass a little bit.

I'm not so sure Lewis was brought in to be the backup PF. When Marion was the Mavs' small forward, Carlisle needed a stretch four for spacing. But now that Parsons is the small forward, a stretch four may no longer be necessary. I think we'll finally see Brandan Wright play at his natural power forward position. Wright/Parsons at the forward positions will work with a traditional center in ways that a Wright/Marion pair never could.

As for Rashard's surgery, it doesn't really hurt the Mavs to keep him. As a minimum salary veteran on a one-year contract, he doesn't hurt the team at all. If the Mavs need to clear out a roster spot, I'd rather they waive Bernard James.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Imon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:04 am

Hmmm....

I didn't consider Parsons being able to stretch the floor - this is a dynamic that Trix could not provide. Although, by percentage Marion was not a bad 3 point shooter, in fact, he was pretty good in Phoenix but I hated seeing him take 3 point shots ... they just get me worried (like when Monta takes those flat 3's of his).

Last year RC used VC as Dirk's backup. Dirk would always come out of the game in the 1st quarter around the 6:00-8:00 min mark and VC would replace him. Now that VC is gone and Marion is probably gone as well...

I feel like RC will probably have to overhaul his personnel adjustments this coming season (besides Dirk).
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#5 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 am

I'm a believer.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#6 » by avon barksdale » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:27 am

Void the deal and sign Michael beasley he's got his flaws but I think Rc can make him a quality 18mpg backup behind dirk
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#7 » by cmavswin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:11 am

Eric Pincus: It looks like Rashard Lewis didn't pass his physical (knee) with the Mavs and will be a free agent again Twitter @EricPincus

Looks like he is free again. Would not mind Elton Brand for vet min if Rick does not overplay him like last time.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#8 » by Darren » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:27 am

I still want him around but not for 1.4M. For 1.4M sitting on bench, I'd rather have Andrew Bynum.
dirkster41
Senior
And1: 156

Post#9 » by dirkster41 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Darren wrote:I still want him around but not for 1.4M. For 1.4M sitting on bench, I'd rather have Andrew Bynum.

You want a guy that can ruin the chemistry of the team just by sitting?
Blame Rasho wrote:There are players you trade, and players who ride to the end of the sunset with.... Dirk is the latter.
Darren
RealGM

Post#10 » by Darren » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:00 pm

dirkster41 wrote:
Darren wrote:I still want him around but not for 1.4M. For 1.4M sitting on bench, I'd rather have Andrew Bynum.

You want a guy that can ruin the chemistry of the team just by sitting?

Injured star has a lot of pride and bad tempers. But the investment may be eventually paid off. If he agrees to min, he takes his pride away and he really wants to be there. Rick Carlisie has a history handling Cap Jax, Artest and so on. I don't see it's a huge problem especially when Bynum would travel with the team on injury list. The situation is not the same as Lamar Odom.
Darren
RealGM

Post#11 » by Darren » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:24 pm

By the way, we want this kid before the SL. He only averages 8.7 minutes for Charlotte. Per 36 minutes, he's decent in scoring and shot blocking. His only weakness is rebound and perhaps a little foul prone. (15 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 1.3 turnovers, 5 personal fouls) At 7-2 260 lbs and above average athleticism, he's a perfect project. Would you bet on his potential and get him serious look instead of inking Bernard James early? I would like us at least invite him to training camp to see how he plays.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2014/pl ... bachynski/
Darren
RealGM

Post#12 » by Darren » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:48 pm

He's a poor man Hibbert to me. If we play some man D, he can play. He just needs to bulk up a little to be effective on board. He's a high-profile shot-blocker and shot-alter we may want. Unlike Hibbert, this kid is intelligent and coachable. Though he's 24 yo with limited basketball experience, I won't mind keeping him around.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jor ... ski-19603/
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jordan-bachynski
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#13 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:05 pm

I bet Dallas will void his contract. Sucks, but he was a risky signing even before the injury update. I wouldnt mind Jermaine signing here for backup PF/C minutes though
FIRE JASON KIDD
EntropyPR
Banned User
And1: 2,381

Post#14 » by EntropyPR » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Contract has been voided.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#15 » by catalyst » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

EntropyPR wrote:Contract has been voided.

Ticket just reported. Now what?
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#16 » by Heezzi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:01 pm

Playing time for Eric Griffin. We need another 3 point shooter.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#17 » by k-lynch201 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:45 pm

We are after a stretch 4 primarily it seems.

Tough to find many names left on the market who fit the bill and will take the vet min.

Byron Mullens? Is he a Clipper?

Mike Scott is restricted, I would give a hard look at Earl Clark.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#18 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 pm

This probably ensures Bernard James will have a roster spot.
avon barksdale
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#19 » by avon barksdale » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Get Michael be easy

Return to Dallas Mavericks