Parsons USA Basketball - yea or nay?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Parsons USA Basketball - yea or nay? 

Post#1 » by Imon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:35 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/status/493399311405694977[/tweet]

Anyone here have any reservations about Parsons playing for Team USA?
I know this has been discussed in some form or another regarding Dirk and the German National Team and Cuban has expressed feelings that he isn't a fan of Mavs players playing competitive ball outside of the NBA.

I feel bad saying this but I think I would feel relieved if Parsons didn't make the final roster cut.
On the other hand, playing for Team USA seems to have done good for a few players, especially the 2010 FIBA cup, where guys like Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose made a big leap in their careers afterwards.
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Re: Parsons USA Basketball - yea or nay? 

Post#2 » by k-lynch201 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Great individual accomplishment, but I too hoped he wouldnt be on the final team.

Due to the Love, Adridge and Griffin all pulling out of the roster Parsons is nearly a lock.

Him and George are supposed to play some stretch 4.

Just hope he doesnt play bloated minutes due to the lack of big men...we finally get a solid free agent I would like to see him healthy for the season opener.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Nervous just because he just put pen to paper
FIRE JASON KIDD
EntropyPR
Banned User
And1: 2,381

Post#4 » by EntropyPR » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 am

With our luck this could end up being really bad.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#5 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:33 pm

I think its a great opportunity for him. Sure, there is injury risk, but that can happen anytime. I like the idea that he gets to play some meaningful games against (and with) some of the best players in the world. Will also keep me that much more interested in the games this summer.
Aaron Clements
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Aaron Clements » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:19 pm

George's injury last night makes me very nervous about this. I guess Parsons is a100% lock to make the cut now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Imon
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Imon » Sat Aug 2, 2014 7:18 pm

PG's injury was an extremely unfortunate and unlucky accident.
When I made this thread I never expected something as serious as what happened to PG would happen...
Maybe a muscle strain or an ankle sprain would only keep a guy sidelined for a week or two but a full fracture? Ouch.

I also don't know if Parsons is a lock now. I watch the full scrimmage up until they stopped it and Hayward and DeRozan were good (Hayward looked jacked). Parson's odds have probably increased but I wouldn't count him in just yet.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#8 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 12:51 pm

How did Parsons look/play?
Imon
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Imon » Sun Aug 3, 2014 6:24 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:How did Parsons look/play?

He was active scraping for loose balls and offensive rebounds. He passed the ball well but in terms of his own offensive game I don't think he made a single shot.
He had some wide-open threes and he shot a few floaters but nothing went down. Small sample size - nothing to get worried about.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#10 » by bran muffin » Wed Aug 6, 2014 12:24 am

I don't understand why some Mavs fans are hoping Parsons fails to make the cut. Parsons getting hurt while playing for Team USA? Chances of that happening is very small. It's nothing to worry about. Parsons getting cut from Team USA because he's just not good enough? Chances of that happening is a lot higher. And the implications are a lot more worrisome.

I'm hoping Parsons makes the team, just because it would be the first sign he may eventually prove himself worth that $46M contract after all. But if Kyle Korver, Klay Thompson, Kenneth Faried, and Gordon Hayward make the team while Parsons gets cut? That would not be a good sign.
Mr Grant Hill
Sixth Man
And1: 102

Post#11 » by Mr Grant Hill » Wed Aug 6, 2014 6:57 am

i don't like your conclusions, neither the positive nor the negative. you're being overly dramatic. team usa has nothing to do with the mavs, nothing. the reason why they gave him such a contract - is not team usa. it's what he has done in the last three seasons. it's what they except he can do in the next couple of seasons. they evaluated his career, his talent, his potential, his character, and then decided to make him this offer. all they care about is what he's able to do with dirk, with monta, with tyson, and with jameer, under the guidance of rick carlisle.
knowing cuban, he's probably gonna throw a party if parsons gets cut.

there's nothing "worrisome". there aren't any bad "signs". there's just a situation which has nothing to do with the mavs situation.
Wake up, girl. I wanna go surfing.
Imon
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Imon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:07 am

Well, looks like Parsons didn't make the final cut.

I hope he takes this the right way and it doesn't get him down.
The ideal situation would have been that he would be completely healthy throughout the tournament and he could sharpen his skills against top competition but I guess he'll have to settle for this.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#13 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:02 am

I think Cuban is loving this.
But I also think it's good for the Mavs, the WC final will be played on September 14, basically one week or so before training camp starts. It's a huge step for Parsons and he'll need all the focus and preparation he can get.
I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#14 » by SaintofKillers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:31 am

bran muffin wrote:Parsons getting hurt while playing for Team USA? Chances of that happening is very small.

A little too late for the party but this is false. You have a much, much higher chance getting injured trying out for Team USA than a meaningless pick-up game or even a for-all-the-marbles playoff clincher because you are competing with several other players to represent your country. You are underestimating the immense blinding (admirable, but blinding) power of patriotism.

If he gets injured THEN he wouldn't be able to live up to that contract.. although whether or not he performs well for Team USA neither affirms nor negates his value.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#15 » by bran muffin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:51 am

SaintofKillers wrote:A little too late for the party but this is false. You have a much, much higher chance getting injured trying out for Team USA than a meaningless pick-up game or even a for-all-the-marbles playoff clincher because you are competing with several other players to represent your country.

So in the 23 years American NBA players have been participating in international competition, exactly how many American players suffered injuries serious enough to have an effect on the NBA's regular season?
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#16 » by SaintofKillers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 am

If you frame it in that strict context then your argument obviously WILL win since nobody seriously got injured except for Paul George. That's like me saying that we shouldn't worry about Ebola since no one from America actually died yet.

But if we look at it simply as "guy playing basketball in a gym by himself or the Pro AM vs. guy playing basketball with several other guys who want to represent their country" (which was my point) then there's no question the latter would be the choice with the much higher chance of injury.

Now, I can definitely understand why you would want Parsons to make it (that whole "Olympics bump!" thing) but don't say that no one shouldn't be worried - they should. Mavs fans have been through this before (Roddy B, tired Dirk, international clubs putting a hit on eventual 2002 MVP Nash as well as Najera) and I certainly wouldn't want the highest paid player on the club to be the next.

Return to Dallas Mavericks