ImageImageImage

Gosselin: Here's why Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki got mad at his teammates in Game 1 loss to Rockets

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Lord Cuban
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Gosselin: Here's why Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki got mad at his teammates in Game 1 loss to Rockets 

Post#1 » by Lord Cuban » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:59 am

Dirk was visibly upset at some of his teammates in Saturday's loss, and when the game was out of reach (final 120 seconds or so), his body language clearly looked like he was frustrated. What do you make of that?

Dirk knows he's on the last lap of his career. His chances of winning another championship are few. When he watched the lack of support of his teammates in Game 1, he saw a team that isn't able to compete for a championship in 2015. That's why he was upset. The Mavericks need to bring their A game to have a chance at winning in the playoffs. That wasn't their A game. That's why Nowitzki was peeved

Any idea what the Mavs do in the off season?

Wait and see what happens with Rondo and Ellis. Both have outs at the end of the year. If one or both leave, the Mavericks will be in the market for a new backcourt.

Do you think Dirk is willing to come off the bench next year to give the Mavs the best possible chance at winning a title? I was thinking a lineup of: Chandler, LaMarcus Aldridge, Parsons, (Insert No. 2 guard), Rondo with Dirk winning sixth-man of the year.

Dirk will do anything that he thinks can contribute to another championship -- and that includes becoming a sixth man and coming off the bench to provide some instant offense. I'm not sure I've ever been around a more unselfish superstar. He has the stats, he's been an MVP and he has a ring. His place in history has already been established. The only way to enhance your place in history is with more championships. That's his focus -- and he'll do whatever he can to add to that trophy case..

From: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas ... ockets.ece
Dallas Mavericks 2011 NBA Champions!!!
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#2 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:21 pm

I agree with Gosselin in regards to Dirk coming off the bench. Vince Carter made the transition from superstar to 6th man. I could see Dirk doing the same thing. He doesn't have the ego of a Wade or Kobe. If Dallas were to land a guy like Aldridge then Dirk would gladly come off the bench if it made the team better.
N8N
Rookie
And1: 236

Re: Gosselin: Here's why Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki got mad at his teammates in Game 1 loss to Rockets 

Post#3 » by N8N » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Mr B wrote:I agree with Gosselin in regards to Dirk coming off the bench. Vince Carter made the transition from superstar to 6th man. I could see Dirk doing the same thing. He doesn't have the ego of a Wade or Kobe. If Dallas were to land a guy like Aldridge then Dirk would gladly come off the bench if it made the team better.

I agree as well. Dirk should be upset at everyone except Tyson.

Well I feel he has a good-sized ego, every player of that caliber does, it's just that he knows his limitations and he probably knows and grew up thinking this is a team game, and in effect, keeps it in check. Some people have referenced he had stated before his team does better when he scores in the low 20s because I suppose, it gets everyone involved in both ends of the floor.

Now, if the rumors are true that LMA is 50/50 about staying or leaving, is there any possibility of landing him? I don't really know the math but if there is a chance, then hell yes.

I'd be completely honest, I am a fan of basketball first and foremost. After that, Dirk, and therefore, Dallas. If Dirk retires, I am not sure which WC team I'd root for. Probably still Dallas if we retain Carlisle and because of Mark Cuban. But I'd be completely thrilled and probably will remain an ardent Mavs fan if we field a competitive team even if we don't contend soon after Dirk retires.

That said, this series means a lot to me because it's Dirk's last years. Also, we have a chance to make Harden go fishing. I mean come on basketball purists, this is Harden, we gotta beat this guy. If we lose the next game though...
Credit to Dallas Mavericks mod Dirk for my avatar.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Re: Gosselin: Here's why Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki got mad at his teammates in Game 1 loss to Rockets 

Post#4 » by Pg81 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 pm

With Rondo successfully sabotaging the Mavs, Parsons injury and Dirk finally showing his age the chances are very slim. But I concur, I dislike Har(d)en's flopping play style. He has yet to break 40% FG in the playoffs and his entire game revolves around getting undeserved free throws.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#5 » by Deus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:03 pm

I definitely see Dirk playing limited minutes next season. But still in most games at the end. He's too good. However, we need more athleticism at the 1 and 4 spots. More off the bench. The Rockets are killing us because they are just too athletic.

Return to Dallas Mavericks