Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

aussiewill
Rookie
And1: 179

Aminu opts out 

Post#1 » by aussiewill » Fri May 1, 2015 7:24 am

As expected-

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Free-Agent

Most likely to use our MLE on him once we resign Monta and Chandler and use up our cap space.
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Re: Aminu opts out 

Post#2 » by The Sparest » Fri May 1, 2015 8:09 am

About as surprising as the sun coming up.

FYI: you can't use cap space and the MLE. Teams with cap space get the Room Exception. MLE is only for teams that stay at/over the cap.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
titantron91
Junior
And1: 32

Post#3 » by titantron91 » Fri May 1, 2015 11:10 am

Dallas must do everything to keep him.

My preferred team next season

PG: Tywon Lawson, Alexey Shved, JJ Barea
SG: Chandler Parsons, KJ McDaniels
SF: Al-Farouq Aminu, Jeffery Taylor
PF: Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Powell, Charlie Villanueva
C: Tyson Chandler, Miles Plumlee

I don't know if this is possible but I like it. Solves our rebounding, defense, 3PT shooting, and pace.
aussiewill
Rookie

Post#4 » by aussiewill » Sat May 2, 2015 8:31 am

The Sparest wrote:About as surprising as the sun coming up.

FYI: you can't use cap space and the MLE. Teams with cap space get the Room Exception. MLE is only for teams that stay at/over the cap.

Yes true. But if we only resign our own guys and not other free agents, we get to use the MLE still?
The Sparest
Bench Warmer
And1: 446

Post#5 » by The Sparest » Sat May 2, 2015 9:29 am

aussiewill wrote:

Yes true. But if we only resign our own guys and not other free agents, we get to use the MLE still?

No, the only way to keep the MLE is to resign Ellis and Tyson to amounts that keep us over the cap (roughly 33 million combined.) If we use cap space to sign any players (even our own) then we lose the MLE.
AKA: Sparey Spareman
aussiewill
Rookie

Post#6 » by aussiewill » Sat May 2, 2015 10:35 pm

The Sparest wrote:
aussiewill wrote:

No, the only way to keep the MLE is to resign Ellis and Tyson to amounts that keep us over the cap (roughly 33 million combined.) If we use cap space to sign any players (even our own) then we lose the MLE.

Another reason to SnT Rondo then so we eat up cap space with in coming contracts I guess.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#7 » by Darren » Mon May 4, 2015 10:55 am

DeMarre Carroll is on my radar is well. This kid is playing amazing basketball in both regular season and offseason so far. Ridiculously efficient. He can fill this role as good as Aminu. Aminu may come cheaper, though.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#8 » by Teffer10 » Mon May 4, 2015 10:49 pm

I'd sign Aminu and Jordan.
This team desperately needs to get younger.
Then make some deal involving Felton and Harris to get Lawson.
Then draft a SG and pickup a young project center (Withey?) and SF who can shoot (Singler?) who might still have an upside.
Then fill the rest of the roster with vet min guys like CV, RJ, Dally, etc...

Lawson/Barea
Parsons/Draft Pick
Aminu/RJ/Singler
Dirk/Powell/CV
Jordan/Withey/Dalembert

That team isn't winning a championship but at least has an upside while still fighting for an 8th seed which is about all we can expect by resigning Ellis and Chandler.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#9 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon May 4, 2015 11:00 pm

Teffer10 wrote:I'd sign Aminu and Jordan.
This team desperately needs to get younger.
Then make some deal involving Felton and Harris to get Lawson.
Then draft a SG and pickup a young project center (Withey?) and SF who can shoot (Singler?) who might still have an upside.
Then fill the rest of the roster with vet min guys like CV, RJ, Dally, etc...

Lawson/Barea
Parsons/Draft Pick
Aminu/RJ/Singler
Dirk/Powell/CV
Jordan/Withey/Dalembert

That team isn't winning a championship but at least has an upside while still fighting for an 8th seed which is about all we can expect by resigning Ellis and Chandler.

I like that

I would actually prefer Aminu or Parsons starting at the 4. Get a 3D guy at the two. Parsons is not ideal there, especially after a knee injury. Maybe take a look at Afflalo, he is probably looking for a starting spot on a winning team and comes for a year.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Tue May 5, 2015 12:51 am

Darren wrote:DeMarre Carroll is on my radar is well. This kid is playing amazing basketball in both regular season and offseason so far. Ridiculously efficient. He can fill this role as good as Aminu. Aminu may come cheaper, though.

Fantastic talent for sure.
I'd love to have him if he decides to not stay with Atlanta.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#11 » by Teffer10 » Tue May 5, 2015 2:49 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:I would actually prefer Aminu or Parsons starting at the 4. Get a 3D guy at the two. Parsons is not ideal there, especially after a knee injury. Maybe take a look at Afflalo, he is probably looking for a starting spot on a winning team and comes for a year.

I'm wondering if Deron Lamb could be that 3D guy?
Is he a good defender?

We probably wouldn't have enough cap space to sign Aminu, Jordan and Afflalo but I'd love to land Afflalo, Mathews or Danny Green somehow.

Actually signing Jordan and Afflalo or Green would work too although we would have to compromise Aminu in the process.
Then draft Aminu's replacement.

Lawson/Barea
Afflalo/Lamb?
Parsons/Singler/Draft Pick
Dirk/Powell/CV
Jordan/Withey/Dally or Sarge
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#12 » by cmavswin » Tue May 5, 2015 4:36 am

I hope the Mavs bring him back as the starting SF and get an offer for Parsons that is too good to pass up.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#13 » by Pointguard01 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:16 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:I would actually prefer Aminu or Parsons starting at the 4. Get a 3D guy at the two. Parsons is not ideal there, especially after a knee injury. Maybe take a look at Afflalo, he is probably looking for a starting spot on a winning team and comes for a year.

Is he a good defender?

We probably wouldn't have enough cap space to sign Aminu, Jordan and Afflalo but I'd love to land Afflalo, Mathews or Danny Green somehow.

Actually signing Jordan and Afflalo or Green would work too although we would have to compromise Aminu in the process.

Lawson/Barea
Afflalo/Lamb?
Dirk/Powell/CV

I think Affalo is overrated. I don't want him here unless we get a steal.

Where is all of this Lawson talk coming from? Is he really available, and more importantly, does Dallas have a shot at him? He would be a solid pickup, as long as Ellis isn't back. I wonder if he can regain his shooting touch he had early on in his career, where he was nearly a 40% 3-Point shooter. I don't love him defensively against all the PGs we'll see in the west, but I think you can cover that up if you have Parsons/Aminu on the wings and an anchor at center defensively.

Now, I don't know that Jordan is that guy to be the anchor that Chandler was back in 2011. But he may be as close as there is available. I still wouldn't mind brining back Chandler at a reasonable price.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 927

Post#14 » by Captain_Obvious » Mon May 11, 2015 9:18 am

Pointguard01 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Is he a good defender?

Lawson/Barea
Afflalo/Lamb?
Dirk/Powell/CV

I think Affalo is overrated. I don't want him here unless we get a steal.

Where is all of this Lawson talk coming from? Is he really available, and more importantly, does Dallas have a shot at him? He would be a solid pickup, as long as Ellis isn't back. I wonder if he can regain his shooting touch he had early on in his career, where he was nearly a 40% 3-Point shooter. I don't love him defensively against all the PGs we'll see in the west, but I think you can cover that up if you have Parsons/Aminu on the wings and an anchor at center defensively.

Now, I don't know that Jordan is that guy to be the anchor that Chandler was back in 2011. But he may be as close as there is available. I still wouldn't mind brining back Chandler at a reasonable price.

I agree with the Afflalo bit. My motivation was that the guy wants to start and nobody is going to offer that on a possible good team. So, for a reasonable one year contract we could offer that.

I have a hard time seeing Jordan leave the Clippers if they make the Conference Finals. But maybe he wants to be the go-to guy. Dirk will teach him how to shoot threes. He already gets to the line at will. :lol:
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Aminu opts out 

Post#15 » by Mr B » Tue May 12, 2015 5:10 am

The Sparest wrote:
aussiewill wrote:

According to Mike Fisher from Dallasbaskeball.com they could also use Rondo (more like convince Rondo) in a S&T. I suggest 3-team deal sending Rondo to Lakers, lakers send draft pick to Spurs, Spurs send Danny Green to Mavs. Mavs then send Monta to Detroit for Reggie Jackson, resign Tyson, split the MLE between Aminu and JJ. Use BAE on Plumlee. Then sign RJ and Charlie V to vet min.

PG - Jackson/Harris/JJ
SG - Green/RJ
SF - Aminu/Parsons
PF - Dirk/Charlie V
C - Tyson/Plumlee

That also leaves a spot for 1 young player, possibly that Euro PG that is looking to come to the NBA that the Mavs have the rights to. Can't remember his name. Also RJ and Charlie V could be swapped out for other vets that fit better or fill a need.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#16 » by Darren » Tue May 12, 2015 9:43 am

If he wants to sign with other team, I'll consider Jan Vesely rather strongly. They are indeed similar players. Vesely is a little foul prone, though. Listed at SF, Jan is 6-11 230 poud. He can top over defender offensively. He's mainly an energy guys. He's a little raw but is already a solid defender. He can fill the role Aminu plays. And his ceiling is much high than Aminu indeed. I wonder if he plays well in Turkey this season.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#17 » by bobsquad » Wed May 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Darren wrote:If he wants to sign with other team, I'll consider Jan Vesely rather strongly. They are indeed similar players. Vesely is a little foul prone, though. Listed at SF, Jan is 6-11 230 poud. He can top over defender offensively. He's mainly an energy guys. He's a little raw but is already a solid defender. He can fill the role Aminu plays. And his ceiling is much high than Aminu indeed. I wonder if he plays well in Turkey this season.

Unlike Jan Vesely, Aminu had already shown he could be a decent NBA player before coming here, starting most of his games and displaying at least one above-average trait (rebounding). Vesely indeed has a high ceiling, but his floor is below NBA level, no way I consider giving him rotational minutes in Aminu's place.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Aminu opts out 

Post#18 » by Mr B » Thu May 14, 2015 5:19 am

If the Mavs were not able to resign Aminu I would actually look at bringing back Corey Brewer.
DIRKDoesWork
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by DIRKDoesWork » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Aminu is most likely going to be overpaid by an upcoming young team. I think it will be tough for Dallas to match.

Return to Dallas Mavericks