Mavs 2016 Offseason Discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: Mavs 2016 Offseason Discussion 

Post#561 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Oct 1, 2016 4:22 pm

Darren wrote:Alex Len is set to become RFA for coming offseason. He averages 13.9 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 1.9 APG, 1.2 BPG, 0.8 SPG. I expect us to be interested. But we can't offer much given current cap situation unless we risk on getting no starting center in 2017.

Cap space won't remotely be an issue next year. If Dallas wanted to make a big offer on Len they could. But I hope they don't.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#562 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 3, 2016 11:57 pm

Knick Fan here

How is my man Jameel Warney doing?

Any chance he makes the roster?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#563 » by Darren » Tue Oct 4, 2016 9:20 am

DrCoach wrote:Knick Fan here

Warney has been solid in both preseason games. However, Hammons has been solid, too. If he makes the team, then somebody like Jonathan Gibson would be waived. That's still an odd for him to make the roster coz both Powell and Acy are playing very well. It seems as if the Argentina kid has been impressive compared with his poor olympics performance. Collinsworth's intriguing as well. As the team needs playmakers more than insurance big, I doubt he makes the team. But clearly, he's been playing above expectation. He's at least not as long shot as Horney and Smith. But still, it takes a lot of odd for him to make the team. Even though Gibson struggles as PG, the Mavs know how he plays as a SG. Unless another move is coming, for example, Barea / Harris for a pick, I don't see he makes the team. It's still possible as Curry makes either / both Barea / Harris expendible to certain extent.
Texas Chuck

Post#564 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 4, 2016 11:57 pm

He looks like he needs a ton of conditioning. He was really laboring getting up and down the court. I don't think he has any chance of making the final 15 here.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#565 » by DrCoach » Wed Oct 5, 2016 3:53 am

Darren wrote:

Warney has been solid in both preseason games. However, Hammons has been solid, too. If he makes the team, then somebody like Jonathan Gibson would be waived. That's still an odd for him to make the roster coz both Powell and Acy are playing very well. It seems as if the Argentina kid has been impressive compared with his poor olympics performance. Collinsworth's intriguing as well. As the team needs playmakers more than insurance big, I doubt he makes the team. But clearly, he's been playing above expectation. He's at least not as long shot as Horney and Smith. But still, it takes a lot of odd for him to make the team. Even though Gibson struggles as PG, the Mavs know how he plays as a SG. Unless another move is coming, for example, Barea / Harris for a pick, I don't see he makes the team. It's still possible as Curry makes either / both Barea / Harris expendible to certain extent.

Thanks for the detailed opinion. Much appreciated :)

I haven't seen him play for Dallas yet, who would you say his game resembles? Poor man Sullinger?
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#566 » by DrCoach » Wed Oct 5, 2016 3:54 am

Texas Chuck wrote:

He looks like he needs a ton of conditioning. He was really laboring getting up and down the court. I don't think he has any chance of making the final 15 here.

A little surprising that these guys can't get in better shape with millions of dollars on the line.
Darren
RealGM

Post#567 » by Darren » Sat Oct 8, 2016 1:57 am

DrCoach wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

A little surprising that these guys can't get in better shape with millions of dollars on the line.

It takes a lot of gym efforts to compete against bigs with legitimate size. The only 6-8 in recent memory doing fine as a big would be Carlos Boozer, DeJuan Blair and Brandan Bass. However, Boozer is an awful defender while Bass's so-so in rebounding. DeJuan Blair is the only one with some sucess. But Warney doesn't have the strength and long arms Blair process. It's much more difficult for him to alter shots. I expect him to play in Asia where he's truely a legitimate big. No matter how much money you throw, you still can't get the size and wingspan.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#568 » by DrCoach » Sat Oct 8, 2016 5:09 am

Darren wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

It takes a lot of gym efforts to compete against bigs with legitimate size. The only 6-8 in recent memory doing fine as a big would be Carlos Boozer, DeJuan Blair and Brandan Bass. However, Boozer is an awful defender while Bass's so-so in rebounding. DeJuan Blair is the only one with some sucess. But Warney doesn't have the strength and long arms Blair process. It's much more difficult for him to alter shots. I expect him to play in Asia where he's truely a legitimate big. No matter how much money you throw, you still can't get the size and wingspan.

Jared Sullinger,Zach Randolph

Warney has a better standing reach than Blair and only 1inch shorter wingspan thou
Darren
RealGM

Post#569 » by Darren » Sat Oct 8, 2016 12:29 pm

DrCoach wrote:
Darren wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

Jared Sullinger,Zach Randolph

Warney has a better standing reach than Blair and only 1inch shorter wingspan thou

DeJuan Blair and Zach Randolph are both much thicker than Warney. This automatically take up more space and hold rebounding position. They are beefy. As for Sullinger, he's taller and more athletic. But is he really a successful player? His contract talk doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I am wrong.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#570 » by Mr. E » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:32 am

Dallas reporter Mike Marshall appeared on the Locked On Rockets podcast on Oct. 18 to discuss the Mavs & Rockets. I think that he may be on again in the coming weeks when the teams play each other twice.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Texas Chuck

Post#571 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:52 pm

Mr. E wrote:Dallas reporter Mike Marshall appeared on the Locked On Rockets podcast on Oct. 18 to discuss the Mavs & Rockets. I think that he may be on again in the coming weeks when the teams play each other twice.

I actually didn't ever know Machine's real name because when you posted this I was like who?
Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Post#572 » by Gibson22 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:25 am

Sorry guys, can you tell me what is gibson going to do? D-league?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,070

Post#573 » by Dirk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:34 am

lebron3-14-3 wrote:Sorry guys, can you tell me what is gibson going to do? D-league?

At his age, I would imagine he goes back to China.

What is your connection to Gibson? He just struggled in pre-season, so despite having a guaranteed salary, it was not surprising to see him cut.
60/21/10
Texas Chuck

Post#574 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
lebron3-14-3 wrote:Sorry guys, can you tell me what is gibson going to do? D-league?

At his age, I would imagine he goes back to China.

What is your connection to Gibson? He just struggled in pre-season, so despite having a guaranteed salary, it was not surprising to see him cut.

Yeah he played himself off the team, but Curry looking pretty well probably finished off his hopes too. Had Curry struggled, I think maybe Gibson still gets on the roster, but he'd be at best the 6th guard so why not give Finney-Smith a look instead.

Return to Dallas Mavericks