Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Re: Who's Your Free Agency Target 

Post#41 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Jul 5, 2017 12:37 pm

Alex Len
Ukrainian basketball player
Oleksiy "Alex" Len is a Ukrainian professional basketball player who last played for the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association. Wikipedia
Born: June 16, 1993 (age 24), Antratsyt, Ukraine
Height: 7′ 1″
Partner: Essence Townsend
NBA draft: 2013, Phoenix Suns (Round: 1 / Pick: 5)

Might make sense if Noel is offered a huge contract that we don't feel like matching. Rather have Noel for his ability to cover the floor better on defense but Len does have a bit more size. Honestly next year we might suck with so much youth on the team making rookie mistakes so its best to take advantage of that and go for a lower pick to get a top rated big man on a rookie scale.

Len may take a lot of money to get him to come here but maybe he would want to play with Dirk as a PF. If money dries up some and he sticks up on the board perhaps we can get him for what we have left.

Wood did well the other day in Orlando but he is a skinny 6'11" still so no post moves or serious rebounding ability. Len looks a little on the thin side as well.

Hammons needs to be given every opportunity for the length of his contract to develop his overall game. He seemed to get a grasp of how to play without fouling out towards the end of the season so I have hopes he can continue to make progress.

The 2nd round next year has a lot of talented bigs but they could move up the ladder with good performances and take higher picks to secure them.

Do we even have a 2nd round pick next year?
Devassa
Sixth Man
And1: 1,359

Post#42 » by Devassa » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:06 pm

I'd rather not pay anyone this summer (and I'm sure we won't), but if the money is burning a hole in their pockets then we should pay Olynyk or Len if they are affordable
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#43 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jul 5, 2017 1:23 pm

Devassa wrote:I'd rather not pay anyone this summer (and I'm sure we won't), but if the money is burning a hole in their pockets then we should pay Olynyk or Len if they are affordable

I would pass. No disrespect to either guy, but what's the point of us going after them?

Neither of those guys are worth the money they will eventually get

it's gonna take money away from us to spend on 2018 targets

It would hurt our chances at a good draft pick

and neither of them would even start here.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#44 » by Teffer10 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 3:46 pm

Devassa wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:I think Dallas should either just wait until everyone is virtually out of cap space and then pickup a young player with potential off the scrap wagon, or take advantage of other teams trying to clear space to sign FAs (similar to how we got Barnes last season).

The NBA is like a big musical chairs game right now with a lot of shuffling going on and perhaps another Curry or Barnes will land in our lap once the music stops.

I'd rather us just not waste our cap at all. Unless these guys you are wanting agree to 1 year deals, I'd rather us just fill out the roster with guys like Motley, Brussino, Buycks, etc and just go for the #1 pick. You want to see how much of a difference it makes after you get the first overall pick?

Check out Philadelphia and Minnesota. They are a legit playoff teams now and a hotspot for free agents.

We aren't either of those things by a long shot.

Yeah, I agree mostly with what you are saying but if another Curry and/or Barnes situation lands in our lap we should pull the trigger. I too would much rather just sign a bunch of Brussino/DFS/Yogi types and see what they can do than overspend on a role player.

But I don't think we are in a position to tank for a top 3 pick. Barnes/Noel/Dirk/Curry with Rick as a coach alone is a PO contending team and they should have a pretty solid supporting cast this season. I'd be unpleasantly shocked if we are so bad next season that we have a pick under 10.
SLATER
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#45 » by SLATER » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:11 pm

Marcus Smart is reportedly on the trade block and I believe the Mavs should go for him.

He's a nice piece if Wes decides to leave next year and is young enough (23) where he fits the timeline. Boston actually really needs some bigs at this point and Salah Mejri (plus a second rounder) makes some sense there. Ainge is pretty shrewd on valuing his players but I really don't see a big market for Smart at this point in the off season.

What do you all think... is he a fit here?
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#46 » by JamesConway » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:21 pm

SLATER wrote:Marcus Smart is reportedly on the trade block and I believe the Mavs should go for him.

He's a nice piece if Wes decides to leave next year and is young enough (23) where he fits the timeline. Boston actually really needs some bigs at this point and Salah Mejri (plus a second rounder) makes some sense there. Ainge is pretty shrewd on valuing his players but I really don't see a big market for Smart at this point in the off season.

Really not a fan of these offensively limited guard-types, but that's an opportunity far too good to pass up if he's indeed the odd man out in Boston (which seems like a good bet as far as I can tell). Servicable role player on a darn good team already, still only 23 years old, former top 7 pick, Dallas-native as well as under his rookie scale contract for one more season before he enters RFA. And most importantly: Boston is in a difficult spot here and will very likely have to dump for far less than his actual market value would be.

There's no way around this, if you're the Mavs you absolutely have to give Boston a call and see if you can take advantage of their situation. But that's probably what a dozen other franchises are currently trying to do as well I'd imagine...
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#47 » by 2011Champs » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:26 pm

JamesConway wrote:
SLATER wrote:Marcus Smart is reportedly on the trade block and I believe the Mavs should go for him.

Really not a fan of these offensively limited guard-types, but that's an opportunity far too good to pass up if he's indeed the odd man out in Boston (which seems like a good bet as far as I can tell). Servicable role player on a darn good team already, still only 23 years old, former top 7 pick, Dallas-native as well as under his rookie scale contract for one more season before he enters RFA. And most importantly: Boston is in a difficult spot here and will very likely have to dump for far less than his actual market value would be.

There's no way around this, if you're the Mavs you absolutely have to give Boston a call and see if you can take advantage of their situation. But that's probably what a dozen other franchises are currently trying to do as well I'd imagine...
I no longer want to deal with Ainge. He always gets the upper hand. He would have the Mavs giving up a 1st round pick, Dennis Smith JR and Seth Curry for Smart and Cuban would be so hypnotized that he would say yes.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#48 » by bobsquad » Wed Jul 5, 2017 7:43 pm

Tarik Black was cut by the Lakers. Don't know much about him other than that he seems like a Dejuan Blair type: smallball C who rebounds at a great rate. His on-off reb% last season was something like 9%. And we need rebounders.

Monta Ellis would also fill the void we've had since, well, Monta Ellis left. He's likely to look for a contender interested if he's bought out. But I would love him as a bench scorer. Crowded backcourt yes, but that's the flavor of the west right now anyways.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#49 » by Heezzi » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:08 pm

bobsquad wrote:Tarik Black was cut by the Lakers. Don't know much about him other than that he seems like a Dejuan Blair type: smallball C who rebounds at a great rate. His on-off reb% last season was something like 9%. And we need rebounders.

Monta Ellis would also fill the void we've had since, well, Monta Ellis left. He's likely to look for a contender interested if he's bought out. But I would love him as a bench scorer. Crowded backcourt yes, but that's the flavor of the west right now anyways.

I would only take Ellis if he is replaces Harris.. Otherwise, no. He will get in the way of Seth's development.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#50 » by Baller1234a » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:13 pm

I wonder if we could work something out with Dallas to give them more of a "win" now roster. Would need a team (say CHI) to absorb some salary for a 2nd rounder since DAL is capped out, but something like:

BOS: DSJ
DAL: 2 of Smart/Crowder/Bradley, CHI 2nd rounder
CHI: Dwight Powell

Salaries match up whichever 2 you use, so they can have their pick really. DAL has:

Matthews / Barnes / Dirk / Noel with 2 of AB/Marcus/Jae. That's a solid 6. Not much depth, but it's not like they're really rebuilding either and want to give Dirk a better shot for his last year(s).

Chicago or someone else gets Dwight Powell for a 2nd rounder.
We get DSJ and a lot of cap room.

ETA: Add in BOS18 to DAL if need be.
Would y'all do this?
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#51 » by k-lynch201 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:17 pm

Baller1234a wrote:I wonder if we could work something out with Dallas to give them more of a "win" now roster. Would need a team (say CHI) to absorb some salary for a 2nd rounder since DAL is capped out, but something like:

Salaries match up whichever 2 you use, so they can have their pick really. DAL has:

Matthews / Barnes / Dirk / Noel with 2 of AB/Marcus/Jae. That's a solid 6. Not much depth, but it's not like they're really rebuilding either and want to give Dirk a better shot for his last year(s).

Would y'all do this?

Would take a lot for Cuban to part with DSJ, this franchise has been waiting for a young PG talent since Devin Harris was drafted.

This is not enough, although im sure we would have interest in the guys you mentioned on BOS and getting rid of Powell.

Personally I am all in on DSJ and would only consider letting him go for another young talent like himself.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Baller1234a » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:24 pm

k-lynch201 wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:I wonder if we could work something out with Dallas to give them more of a "win" now roster. Would need a team (say CHI) to absorb some salary for a 2nd rounder since DAL is capped out, but something like:

Would y'all do this?

Would take a lot for Cuban to part with DSJ, this franchise has been waiting for a young PG talent since Devin Harris was drafted.

This is not enough, although im sure we would have interest in the guys you mentioned on BOS and getting rid of Powell.

Personally I am all in on DSJ and would only consider letting him go for another young talent like himself.

Whole point of this trade for us is
1. Get guy with value to flip for a big
2. Clear ATLEAST 3.1 mill
Any thoughts?
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
k-lynch201
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#53 » by k-lynch201 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:38 pm

Baller1234a wrote:
k-lynch201 wrote:

Would y'all do this?

Any thoughts?

We would help facilitate if it benefits us, with Dirk and DSJ being the 2 pieces we absolutely wont part with.

We have been on record building him up as the future of our team, as well as the other young guys so its unlikely.

I dig Smart, AB and Crowder though...but who doesn't?
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Baller1234a » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:40 pm

k-lynch201 wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
k-lynch201 wrote:

Any thoughts?

We would help facilitate if it benefits us, with Dirk and DSJ being the 2 pieces we absolutely wont part with.

We have been on record building him up as the future of our team, as well as the other young guys so its unlikely.

AB CROWDER SMART for NOEL?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#55 » by Darren » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:35 am

A tall pointguard that can't shoot. Sounds like Evan Turner to me. But his defense is solid, though. I don't want to part with pick for him. I could offer Golden States' 2019 second rounder for him.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#56 » by Darren » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:36 am

Baller1234a wrote:
k-lynch201 wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:Whole point of this trade for us is
Any thoughts?

AB CROWDER SMART for NOEL?

Celtics do not have anything to offer that worths either DSJ or NN.
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#57 » by bobsquad » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:56 am

Baller1234a wrote:AB CROWDER SMART for NOEL?

All 3 for Noel? I'm a big fan of Nerlens but I'm taking 3 sure things over 1 with relatively high potential. Not realistic, though.

Another hypothetical: Curry for Crowder straight up. Boston gets a few $MM of cap space and a shooter, Dallas gets the better player (and for 3 more years, at a reasonable price). I say yes, does Ainge?
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Baller1234a » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:02 am

bobsquad wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:AB CROWDER SMART for NOEL?

All 3 for Noel? I'm a big fan of Nerlens but I'm taking 3 sure things over 1 with relatively high potential. Not realistic, though.

Another hypothetical: Curry for Crowder straight up. Boston gets a few $MM of cap space and a shooter, Dallas gets the better player (and for 3 more years, at a reasonable price). I say yes, does Ainge?

We need to due to salary
Bradley is an expiring smart is a RFA and crowder is solid I would def do this
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Who's Your Free Agency Target 

Post#59 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:54 am

Would y'all do this?

**** that, no way I'm giving up DSJ.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#60 » by Mr B » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:56 am

Boston needs to clear space without taking on contracts. The Mavs have two trade exceptions. I would trade in the trade exceptions for Smart in a heartbeat. Even if they don't end up keeping Smart he could be flipped for a player that fits better.

Return to Dallas Mavericks