Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 6

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,437

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 5 

Post#161 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:18 pm

I know this flat carb depleted look, our man has been low carbing...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,983

Post#162 » by Archx » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:33 pm

Dirk wrote:
Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:Where are the muscles?

He left them in the gym :P

Kidd is also there checking up on him, hopefully he can kick his ass to continue working out after the FIBA tournament lol.

What happened with Tobey? Weeks ago, noticed he wasnt on the squad list.

He will join the team in like 10 days or so. Apparently had some family stuff to take care of and is preparing alone in the US right now. They play vs Greece in few days and a week later vs Spain and US. Will be inetersting to see how they do without him. Unless he does join and plays at that point.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,829

Post#163 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:13 pm

Luka magic again yesterday... Best shape of his life and some incredible passes.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#164 » by Mavrelous » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:16 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Luka magic again yesterday... Best shape of his life and some incredible passes.

Everything is looking great, even catch and shoot and off ball movement, but the free throws man, he's regressing there, he's entering Shaq territory...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#165 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 9, 2023 1:34 am

$80 million per season.

If Luka makes all NBA in 2024 he will be eligible to sign a new contract in 2025 that will pay him $80m per season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#166 » by HMFFL » Sat Sep 9, 2023 1:48 pm

Luka Doncic on leg injury: 'It's not okay'

[https://hoopshype]

Doncic has continued to play through a leg injury that he dealt with since shortly after the NBA All-Star break during the 2022-23 season. He admitted that the status of the injury is “not okay,” but he remains focused on preparing for Slovenia’s final game and a full NBA campaign with the Dallas Mavericks.  “I do not know what to say,” Doncic said. “It’s not okay. At the same time, I have to prepare for one more game, and then for a whole season in the NBA.”

– via Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dallas-mavs-luka-doncic-reveals-no-sleep-heavy-legs-slovenia-fiba-world-cup-injury

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#167 » by Mavrelous » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:51 pm

Anybody noticing something different with Luka?
I had him as best player in the league for most of year 3, year 4 (except the slow start until December), and last year until that Pelicans game where he got injured, he hasn't been as dominant, even his crazy stretch to start the season, it was mainly hot 3 pt shooting, and not mastering the paint like he used to do.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#168 » by Bob8 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:58 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Anybody noticing something different with Luka?
I had him as best player in the league for most of year 3, year 4 (except the slow start until December), and last year until that Pelicans game where he got injured, he hasn't been as dominant, even his crazy stretch to start the season, it was mainly hot 3 pt shooting, and not mastering the paint like he used to do.

You need a right team for driving, KP with fantastic spacing was perfect in that regard for Luka. Now Mavs play totally differently, Kyrie having the ball much more than Brunson, Lively with 0 spacing and Mavs with much higher tempo.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#169 » by Mavrelous » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:22 pm

Bob8 wrote:

You need a right team for driving, KP with fantastic spacing was perfect in that regard for Luka. Now Mavs play totally differently, Kyrie having the ball much more than Brunson, Lively with 0 spacing and Mavs with much higher tempo.

He drove a lot with Powell also...
Bob8
General Manager

Post#170 » by Bob8 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:28 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

He was the only one capable of creating something after Brunson went in New York and Mavs played with the slowest pace. Things are much different with Kyrie and the 8th highest pace.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#171 » by Mavrelous » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:09 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

He was the only one capable of creating something after Brunson went in New York and Mavs played with the slowest pace. Things are much different with Kyrie and the 8th highest pace.

Go back and watch Tokyo Olympics, then last FIBA WC, it's not the same dominant player IMO, I can't put my finger on it, but it looks different.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#172 » by Bob8 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:03 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:He drove a lot with Powell also...

Go back and watch Tokyo Olympics, then last FIBA WC, it's not the same dominant player IMO, I can't put my finger on it, but it looks different.

There is nobody capable of creating anything in Slovenian team. It's 1 man show.

Mavs and consequently he are playing differently this year. He has less touches, he plays less iso and he drives less, because spacing is not the same. You're basically looking at transformation from totally ball dominant player to more team oriented player. If he returns to his old himself, Kyrie is useless and should be never brought in Dallas.

I believe that's the right way to go. Luka won't win title alone, he needs to play off ball too. Problem is not in Luka but in coach, who should build some kind of a system for Mavs to be successful, unfortunately Mavs have probably the worst coach and his first assistant in Nba.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#173 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:29 pm

Yeah I noticed the same. He's chucking more 3s, getting into the paint less and also getting less calls. His finishing ability at the rim looks looks far worse but I haven't checked the numbers. He's also noticeably noticeably slower compared to the beginning of the year. Looks like he's laboring out there sometimes.

Maybe it's the quad injury that has been lingering that's starting to affect him. Either way, I agree he's not been as dominant as before and it's concerning.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#174 » by Bob8 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 pm

Maverick41 wrote:

Yeah I noticed the same. He's chucking more 3s, getting into the paint less and also getting less calls. His finishing ability at the rim looks looks far worse but I haven't checked the numbers. He's also noticeably noticeably slower compared to the beginning of the year. Looks like he's laboring out there sometimes.

Maybe it's the quad injury that has been lingering that's starting to affect him. Either way, I agree he's not been as dominant as before and it's concerning.

Here, you have stats. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?Season=2023-24&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES

Mavs are running different offense this year. It's kinda strange, last year everyone was saying that Luka is doing too much and Mavs should play with higher pace. Now Mavs are doing all that, Kyrie taking some responsibility from Luka and people want that Luka plays like last year. You can't have both. It's regular season, no one can survive the whole season doing what Luka was doing last year. The thing, which I believe is wrong, are post ups, which Luka should be doing much more. But again, it's on Kidd to build some kind of a system.

Still, Mavs are 4th in offensive rating and 25th in defensive rating, offensive game is for sure not the problem.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#175 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:44 pm

Bob8 wrote:Here, you have stats. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?Season=2023-24&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES

Mavs are running different offense this year. It's kinda strange, last year everyone was saying that Luka is doing too much and Mavs should play with higher pace. Now Mavs are doing all that and Kyrie taking some responsibility from Luka and people want that Luka plays like last year. It's regular season, no one can survive the whole season doing what Luka was doing last year. The thing, which I believe is wrong, are post ups, which Luka should be doing much more.

Thanks, didn't know these types of stats existed. Cool stuff.

But to your other point, no one wants him to do what he did last year. That amount of carrying he had to do was too much. I think what Mavrelous and I are saying is that he does not look as dominant. Not stats, but the shot quality and shot creation. He's struggled to create high quality shots the last 3 games where teams have dared him to go 1v1. I think spacing and his injuries certainly play a factor but this recent stretch of games has not looked good for him. Teammates and coaching needs to be better, but so does he. That starts with chucking less 3s and penetrating the paint more.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#176 » by Bob8 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:00 am

Maverick41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Here, you have stats. https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?Season=2023-24&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES

Mavs are running different offense this year. It's kinda strange, last year everyone was saying that Luka is doing too much and Mavs should play with higher pace. Now Mavs are doing all that and Kyrie taking some responsibility from Luka and people want that Luka plays like last year. It's regular season, no one can survive the whole season doing what Luka was doing last year. The thing, which I believe is wrong, are post ups, which Luka should be doing much more.

Thanks, didn't know these types of stats existed. Cool stuff.

But to your other point, no one wants him to do what he did last year. That amount of carrying he had to do was too much. I think what Mavrelous and I are saying is that he does not look as dominant. Not stats, but the shot quality and shot creation. He's struggled to create high quality shots the last 3 games where teams have dared him to go 1v1. I think spacing and his injuries certainly play a factor but this recent stretch of games has not looked good for him. Teammates and coaching needs to be better, but so does he. That starts with chucking less 3s and penetrating the paint more.

I don't know, if things work that way. They're trying to run different kind of offense, faster with Luka having the ball less in his hands. Offense is not just someone driving, you need screens, spacing...to make that work. The perfect offense for Luka doing his staff was RC putting 4 players in the perimeter. The same system you have in Slovenia with Tobey shooting multiple 3s per game. Nobody was cutting in RC's and Slovenian system. And there was nobody capable of creating for himself like Kyrie is.

If you want that he penetrates much more, you should teach Lively to do something more than catch lobs and forbid DJJ to cut.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#177 » by Mavrelous » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:13 am

I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced, I'm glad Luka is pushing the ball and operating on DHOs, but there's an element missing.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#178 » by Bob8 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:21 am

Mavrelous wrote:I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced, I'm glad Luka is pushing the ball and operating on DHOs, but there's an element missing.

Element is missing in coaching, everything can't be just improvisation and having a little better front court would help too.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#179 » by Bob8 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:58 am

We're are here talking that 30 points from best player is not enough and Denver is winning easily with 3 best players missing. ;)
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,829

Post#180 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:56 am

Malone is one of the best coach in the league.

Return to Dallas Mavericks