Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 6

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 5 

Post#181 » by Mavrelous » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am

Bob8 wrote:We're are here talking that 30 points from best player is not enough and Denver is winning easily with 3 best players missing. ;)

It's not about it not being enough, Luka was doing more than enough in the 1st half of last year and we weren't happy about it, it's about how he looks on court, he's still great, he's not the dominant force he was before.
Remember, last year Mavs beat the Jazz last year w/o Luka, Kyrie, DFS and Dinwiddie after the trade.
It may be just load management for the PO which would be great, it may be still an injury.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#182 » by Bob8 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:45 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:We're are here talking that 30 points from best player is not enough and Denver is winning easily with 3 best players missing. ;)

It's not about it not being enough, Luka was doing more than enough in the 1st half of last year and we weren't happy about it, it's about how he looks on court, he's still great, he's not the dominant force he was before.
Remember, last year Mavs beat the Jazz last year w/o Luka, Kyrie, DFS and Dinwiddie after the trade.
It may be just load management for the PO which would be great, it may be still an injury.

I don't believe in muscle injury that allows you to play 5x a week and I for sure don't believe they would allow him to play with any kind of muscle strain in RS. Nobody ever confirmed talks about that mystery injury, it was more or less only Slovenian journalists guessing and some very vague statements from Luka and NT. Nobody is playing through muscle injury that lasts half a year.

It looks to me that plan for Luka is to handle the ball less, drive less and rather take some assisted shots instead. I can understand that, what I can't understand is, why he's posting up almost 50% less than last year? He was better than Embiid in points per post touch last year.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?Season=2022-23&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#183 » by Mavrelous » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:03 am

Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

I don't believe in muscle injury that allows you to play 5x a week and I for sure don't believe they would allow him to play with any kind of muscle strain in RS. Nobody ever confirmed talks about that mystery injury, it was more or less only Slovenian journalists guessing and some very vague statements from Luka and NT. Nobody is playing through muscle injury that lasts half a year.

It looks to me that plan for Luka is to handle the ball less, drive less and rather take some assisted shots instead. I can understand that, what I can't understand is, why he's posting up almost 50% less than last year? He was better than Embiid in points per post touch last year.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?Season=2022-23&dir=D&sort=POST_TOUCHES

He was heavier than this year, significanly, at least 5 KGs, maybe this is the reason? I don't know, I've been out on Kidd since last year, I was pleasantly surprised by his utilization of DJJ TBH, but all in all, I think he's a detriment to this team.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager

Post#184 » by Bob8 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:09 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:It's not about it not being enough, Luka was doing more than enough in the 1st half of last year and we weren't happy about it, it's about how he looks on court, he's still great, he's not the dominant force he was before.

He was heavier than this year, significanly, at least 5 KGs, maybe this is the reason? I don't know, I've been out on Kidd since last year, I was pleasantly surprised by his utilization of DJJ TBH, but all in all, I think he's a detriment to this team.

My guess is, the new mantra is, we have to play faster no matter what and without any kind of real plan. Mavs went from 28th team in pace to 6th fastest in 1 offseason. I don't believe I have ever seen something like that. 1 of the consequences is Luka playing very differently than last year. Unfortunately the D, which was the main problem, might be even worse and is for sure worse, when Lively is not playing. Which could be expected, because higher pace brings new defensive problems.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#185 » by Mavrelous » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:13 am

Bob8 wrote:My guess is, the new mantra is, we have to play faster no matter what and without any kind of real plan. Mavs went from 28th team in pace to 6th fastest in 1 offseason. I don't believe I have ever seen something like that.

Yeah, I said before, pace and movement is nice for RS, but in the PO, it'll be the good old stack, it's the most effective offensive set with Luka, and having Kyrie instead of Brunson adds another dimension to it, Brunson was too gun shy when he was a Maverick, I'm fine with running and sharing, but they need to practice it, especially having totally different team from the one that used it 2020-2022, basically only Luka reamins from that team.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#186 » by Bob8 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:20 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:My guess is, the new mantra is, we have to play faster no matter what and without any kind of real plan. Mavs went from 28th team in pace to 6th fastest in 1 offseason. I don't believe I have ever seen something like that.

Yeah, I said before, pace and movement is nice for RS, but in the PO, it'll be the good old stack, it's the most effective offensive set with Luka, and having Kyrie instead of Brunson adds another dimension to it, Brunson was too gun shy when he was a Maverick, I'm fine with running and sharing, but they need to practice it, especially having totally different team from the one that used it 2020-2022, basically only Luka reamins from that team.

They foremost should find a solution for their problems in D. With Luka and Kyrie they will be good offensive team no matter which plays they run in offensive side, but playing fast pace and bad D without rim protection is suicidal.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#187 » by Mavrelous » Fri Dec 1, 2023 9:28 pm

I really respect how the Balkan stars (in the NBA at least) keep healthy distance between their family life and celebrity life, not a trivial task at all in the modern world.
Congrats to Luka and his fiancee on the new born.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Re: Luka Dončić Discussion - Year 6 

Post#188 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Dec 2, 2023 9:40 am

So less party Luka and more gym...
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,044

Post#189 » by Mr B » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:58 am

This is good to hear.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
Dali
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#190 » by Dali » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:56 am

Are Youtube links allowed on this forum?

EDIT: Ah nevermind, Mr B posted the interview snippet that I was thinking of posting with Luka's interview.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#191 » by Mavrelous » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 pm

Dali wrote:Are Youtube links allowed on this forum?

EDIT: Ah nevermind, Mr B posted the interview snippet that I was thinking of posting with Luka's interview.

Sure nothing wrong with YT links, just not controversial content.
Dali
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#192 » by Dali » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:17 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Dali wrote:Are Youtube links allowed on this forum?

Sure nothing wrong with YT links, just not controversial content.

Thank you for the clarification.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#193 » by Mavrelous » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:38 pm

Recommended listen
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#194 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:58 am

Those stupid stuffs about Luka centric basket will end soon... I've never seen him so happy.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#195 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#196 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 am

Mavrelous wrote:Recommended listen

People were joking about Lebron with LeGM.

It seems like Luka started the LuGM mode on. Asking for solid, rim-protector centers, and wing players with size are excellent. Luka's value is at best when he has a good defense around him.

Luka's frustration for missing playoffs last year can be seen. I think he's demanding no non-sense now. Trading away all wing players messed Mavs last year. Now it cost Mavs many picks but we have a good C rotation and semi-decent wing player rotation!
Swish77
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#197 » by Swish77 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:36 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:

It seems like Luka started the LuGM mode on. Asking for solid, rim-protector centers, and wing players with size are excellent. Luka's value is at best when he has a good defense around him.

Luka's frustration for missing playoffs last year can be seen. I think he's demanding no non-sense now. Trading away all wing players messed Mavs last year. Now it cost Mavs many picks but we have a good C rotation and semi-decent wing player rotation!

Whatever Luka wants Luka gets. He approved every trade the mavs have done so far. I don't have an issue with what Luka has asked for up to today. Are you really upset Mavs traded Grant and Seth? bc that's not all the wings we got this offseason. Plus we needed another backup center so I don't understand why your upset. If you want to wIn games you gotta spend to win.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#198 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:44 pm

Swish77 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

Whatever Luka wants Luka gets. He approved every trade the mavs have done so far. I don't have an issue with what Luka has asked for up to today. Are you really upset Mavs traded Grant and Seth? bc that's not all the wings we got this offseason. Plus we needed another backup center so I don't understand why your upset. If you want to wIn games you gotta spend to win.

For some reason you've stated I'm upset with this two times. No, I never said that.

I fully support LuGM, GMcic, DonGM movement. Luka was a little shy in this regard. After the catastrophic last year, he seemed to start to be more involved and he doesn't hide it.

I would never guess Luka to miss playoffs between age 22-33 unless he gets injured for a season. He is that great of a player. Letting Brunson go, dismantling WCF team was bad. Sending wing rotation out for Kyrie really crippled us too. Missing playoffs seems to make Luka serious about demanding moves. He even started to give hints, and acknowledge how getting big men helps the team etc.

Props to FO as well. Lively/Gafford duo is solid. PJ Washington is not as good as Gordon IMO but maybe he'll improve.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Swish77 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

I don't know honestly, maybe Luka didn't disagree with those trade but i doubt that he was agree.
There is a little bit difference... He is not that kind of player. Coff coff LeBron
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#200 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:25 pm

He better extend again if he's asking for and getting all these personnel moves

Yet there are certain teams -- cough * Lakers * cough -- who plan to go after younger MVP-level players when they're finishing their second contracts.

Return to Dallas Mavericks