ImageImageImage

Draft lottery Thread - Mavs #10

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 851

Re: Draft lottery Thread - Mavs #10 

Post#981 » by Teffer10 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:06 am

Read this somewhere as a possibilty for Mavs to facilitate a deal.

Mavs get Ayton
Phoenix gets T. Harris
Philly gets Maxi/Wood S&T
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,506

Post#982 » by Mavrelous » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:12 am

Teffer10 wrote:Read this somewhere as a possibilty for Mavs to facilitate a deal.

Mavs get Ayton
Phoenix gets T. Harris
Philly gets Maxi/Wood S&T

Replace Wood with Homes and Bullock and I'd do it, otherwise it's a pipe dream, Mavs aren't running 200mil payroll with 55 million and lottery pick on spent centers.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#983 » by Darren » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:57 am

The Mavs want to open cap room in a year. I expect Hardaway, McGee included, possibly with Bullock or Kleber.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,851

Post#984 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:22 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Powell is a 10/15minutes RS guy... 0 rim protector, bad rebounder,can't defend big guy and he can only scores lob.
If Dallas had not had Luka he never played so much despite his great attitude on and off the court.

Dwight is great guy, very hustler and a gym rat. Awesome mindset. Perfect vet in the locker room.
Mavs fans hate him because Cuban and his crew never signed a real starting C. It's not Powell fault.

But unfortunately he hasn't basketball skills.
He tried to train his shooting skills but he failed.

For the vet min is good. No more please.

He played 4 seasons in Dallas without Luka and was still an NBA caliber big.

False

And what does "NBA caliber big" mean? The NBA is full of trash bigs... Harrell won 6th man of the year and he is mediocre at best. He can't play in the PO.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#985 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:24 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Archx wrote:If you guys are comparing Holmes and Powell's ability to finish, well... In short, Powell is horrible if he's not spoon fed exactly at or above the rim.

Powell 0-3 feet = 65% per career
Holmes 0-3 feet = 75% per career

Powell 3-10 feet = 39% per career
Holmes 3-10 feet = 48% per career

For reference, Luka is 72% and 50% per career in those areas. Another great around the rim finisher Lebron 72% and 42%.

So all in all, Powell is not THAT good, actually quite bad. We all saw how many layups he fumbled in the past. He can't do anything on offense other than set screen and get a lob. On defense, he does hustle and does get hit in the face, he's elite at that.

Holmes is good maybe not good enough because he is small... This is his big problem.

A couple of inches and maybe his career was different.

Holmes is a better defender then Powell and a much better rebounder even though he's a couple inches shorter(he's like 6'8"). Lively is still going to be the only rim protector though.

Yes, Holmes with much size should be a very good C.... But of course we could not have traded Bertans for him and a 1RP :lol: :lol: :lol:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,005

Post#986 » by Archx » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:26 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Archx wrote:If you guys are comparing Holmes and Powell's ability to finish, well... In short, Powell is horrible if he's not spoon fed exactly at or above the rim.

Powell 0-3 feet = 65% per career
Holmes 0-3 feet = 75% per career

Powell 3-10 feet = 39% per career
Holmes 3-10 feet = 48% per career

For reference, Luka is 72% and 50% per career in those areas. Another great around the rim finisher Lebron 72% and 42%.

So all in all, Powell is not THAT good, actually quite bad. We all saw how many layups he fumbled in the past. He can't do anything on offense other than set screen and get a lob. On defense, he does hustle and does get hit in the face, he's elite at that.

Powell has shot 70% from the field for the last 2 seasons. Yeah his career number is lower cause he was worse when he was younger. Who cares about career stats when he has clearly improved over his career.

"actually quite bad" this is a perfect example of someone reading box scores and checking stats without considering what they have watched with their own eyes. Anyone who watches the Dallas Mavericks knows Dwight finishes well.

Powell had his best year last season shooting 73% from the field, averaging 6.7 points. Out of those 6.7 points 80% came from within 0-3 feet and out of those 80% shots, 79% were assisted.

So if anything, my box score reading and considering what i see with my own eyes (since i watch every Mavs game), actually prove what i just said in my previous post.

He's a good player for those 5-10 minutes per game and that's it. He doesn't have a mid range game, he doesn't have around the rim game, he's 100% not a 3pt shooter. So, apart from setting good screens, what does he do? He's limited on defense, extremely weak actually, he doesn't rebound well (apart from his voleyball skills) and is also not a good passer.

All in all, i have no clue why are we arguing this, we did watch the same guy for the past 5 years, no?
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,860

Post#987 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:16 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
Yeah you're just wrong about Powell. He brings and elite offensive skill with his finishing. Is a great locker room guy and leader, hustles and will teach Lively a lot about setting NBA screens. He also plays a lot of games and will help this team make it through the regular season. He is a steal on the vet min. Again it is not his fault the FO is incapable of finding a better center for the last 5 years.

I'm sorry but Powell might hustle but is effectively a black hole on defense and on offense can only roll to the basket (granted, he's elite at that) and set blocks alright but other than that is entirely useless on O as well. Maybe ok for spot minutes but on a winning team he should not see the court in 65 out of 82 games and definitely not in the POs.

A "black hole" is a weird way to describe a below average defender. He's not a good rim protector because he is small and has short arms but he is in position and moves his feet fine. He can comfortably play 15-20 minutes on a team that makes the playoffs especially if they are a PnR based offense which the Mavs are. He won't play in the playoffs but like it or not we need players who can get us through the RS. If we asked Maxi to do what Dwight does for us he would be broken down and done for the year before December started.

It really isn't. I'm sure someone can back this up by finding opponent fg % against him: It doesn't matter if he's in position or not, he gets scored on easily almost every time. And yes he's too short and has short arms so he shouldn't be playing significant minutes at the 5. But he has no relevant skills to be a 4. At that point it comes down to his likeability, hustle and PnR scoring and quite honestly, that's just nowhere near enough on a team that actually wants to be competitive in this league.
Dmavs12
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#988 » by Dmavs12 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:45 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:I'm sorry but Powell might hustle but is effectively a black hole on defense and on offense can only roll to the basket (granted, he's elite at that) and set blocks alright but other than that is entirely useless on O as well. Maybe ok for spot minutes but on a winning team he should not see the court in 65 out of 82 games and definitely not in the POs.

A "black hole" is a weird way to describe a below average defender. He's not a good rim protector because he is small and has short arms but he is in position and moves his feet fine. He can comfortably play 15-20 minutes on a team that makes the playoffs especially if they are a PnR based offense which the Mavs are. He won't play in the playoffs but like it or not we need players who can get us through the RS. If we asked Maxi to do what Dwight does for us he would be broken down and done for the year before December started.

It really isn't. I'm sure someone can back this up by finding opponent fg % against him: It doesn't matter if he's in position or not, he gets scored on easily almost every time. And yes he's too short and has short arms so he shouldn't be playing significant minutes at the 5. But he has no relevant skills to be a 4. At that point it comes down to his likeability, hustle and PnR scoring and quite honestly, that's just nowhere near enough on a team that actually wants to be competitive in this league.

Powell was the starting 5 to the WCF 2 years ago. He can definitely be the 3rd string center on this roster. They may even put him 2nd until lively is ready. His experience with Luka and the offense make him a no brainer on a reduced contract, assuming he’ll accept it. Once the defense is upgraded on this roster, Powell will look much better.
Holmes and McGee are the most likely to be moved for an upgrade elsewhere.

Starting center TBD / lively / powell - good depth for a long run.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,860

Post#989 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:15 pm

Dmavs12 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Powell was the starting 5 to the WCF 2 years ago. He can definitely be the 3rd string center on this roster. They may even put him 2nd until lively is ready. His experience with Luka and the offense make him a no brainer on a reduced contract, assuming he’ll accept it. Once the defense is upgraded on this roster, Powell will look much better.

And do you remember what happened in those WCF? I do and am still traumatised, you seem to have forgotten if you're willing to put yourself through more Powell.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#990 » by Mr B » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:25 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:I think there is a big difference between prospect and project. A project is a player with insane potential but doesn’t really have any NBA ready skills yet. Giannis was a project, Bilal Coulibaly is a project. DL2 and OMax both have NBA ready skills. Expecting them to contribute right away is not the same as thinking that they can. Particularly Lively. Michael Finley said that they were impressed with his defensive reads and knowledge. If he gets the learning aspects down. We also need to know his weight, a lot of reports are saying he’s 230-235. If that’s true he can easily be 240 by opening day. He can come in a block shots, finish lobs, and rebound the ball just fine because those are his strengths and those skills translate very well. We have seen a ton of young bigs come in and make impact right away. Mobley, Kessler, JJJ, Duren, Williams, Robinson are all in just the last 5 years. Now granted some of them were playing garbage ball on bad teams but Mobley made the playoffs playing 33 minutes and Kessler could’ve made the playoffs with Utah but they decided to tank. I think Lively’s goal should be to be starting by January-February.

For O-Max it’s more difficult. The win last night was Dallas got the best on ball defender and the best interior defender in college basketball. However, Lively’s skills will be easier to translate because the offensive side of the ball will be such a cake walk. Finish lobs and set screens that’s it. For O-Max it will come down to can he hit his 3s. If he can he can play. He for sure has the defensive tools and skills, I would say there is a very good chance he is the best on ball defender Dallas has to start the season. He’s also 21 and has a NBA body so the weight won’t be an issue their.

David Robinson played between 231 lbs - 236 lbs at 7'1"

Lively did not look anywhere close to The Admiral's physique on Draft Night. Kid is very young. He has time to add muscle to his frame. He looks like the 215 lbs he's listed as. Maybe with a nutritionist and time in the weight room this off season, Lively can add 8 - 10 lbs of muscle this season. That would be great.

Everyone carries weight very differently. Duke reported him at 230 last season. Looking at dudes physique is kinda weak. Especially when comparing to the Admiral who has probably one of the best physiques in NBA history. For example, Poeltl is also 7’1 230 and has the physique of a wet potato chip. Lively was reported at 215-220 coming out of high school and has very clearly add quite a bit of muscle. So I believe the 230 maybe 235. I wish he would’ve just weighted in at the combine. But I agree. 10 pounds this offseason at his size is fully attainable. I think that safely he would be between 235-245 with 10 pounds. That’s a good playing weight.

Dirk played at 240-245 during the last several years of his career and was also nowhere near the Admiral’s physique. Tyson Chandler played at 235-240 late in his career too. Ideally it would be good to see Lively play at the same weight at Tyson but he does need to work with an NBA nutritionist and add some muscle. He’s going to look at play much better in year 2 than he will in year 1.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,061

Post#991 » by BeiBeau » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:48 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Powell is a 10/15minutes RS guy... 0 rim protector, bad rebounder,can't defend big guy and he can only scores lob.
If Dallas had not had Luka he never played so much despite his great attitude on and off the court.

Dwight is great guy, very hustler and a gym rat. Awesome mindset. Perfect vet in the locker room.
Mavs fans hate him because Cuban and his crew never signed a real starting C. It's not Powell fault.

But unfortunately he hasn't basketball skills.
He tried to train his shooting skills but he failed.

For the vet min is good. No more please.

False

And what does "NBA caliber big" mean? The NBA is full of trash bigs... Harrell won 6th man of the year and he is mediocre at best. He can't play in the PO.

False? Google is free. He was literally on the Mavericks from 2014-2018 before Luka got here.

This whole conversation is hilarious and just proves what we've already known. Most Mavs fans are irrationally dumb when it comes to Powell. Dallas will not find a better center willing to player here for the vet min.
Dmavs12
Sophomore

Post#992 » by Dmavs12 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:54 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Dmavs12 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:

And do you remember what happened in those WCF? I do and am still traumatised, you seem to have forgotten if you're willing to put yourself through more Powell.

Powell as the starter, and Powell as a 3rd string situational center are two very different things. Please don’t act like Powell can’t be a meaningful contributor against certain line ups.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#993 » by BeiBeau » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Dmavs12 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
Dmavs12 wrote:

Powell as the starter, and Powell as a 3rd string situational center are two very different things. Please don’t act like Powell can’t be a meaningful contributor against certain line ups.

There is no depth to how irrationally stupidly angry Mavs fans get at Powell. Logic will not sway them from their hatred even though Powell as a 3rd string vet min is super value.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#994 » by deb » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:43 pm

Yep, Powell is a decent enough rotational center, smart, mobile, unproblematic. He could even be a starter on a team with two star defensive stud forwards. On a team, where Bullock plays the pf position, he has to not only hold his own, but also cover for the crappy forward rotation and thus be a star stud center himself. That he is not.

As to opponent fg allowed inside, he's slightly below average, fg allowed in restricted area - 70.8, for comparison, Bam Adebayo 69.8, Poeltl 68.7, Jaxon Hayes 71, Nikola Jokić 71.7,
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#995 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:20 pm

deb wrote:Yep, Powell is a decent enough rotational center, smart, mobile, unproblematic. He could even be a starter on a team with two star defensive stud forwards. On a team, where Bullock plays the pf position, he has to not only hold his own, but also cover for the crappy forward rotation and thus be a star stud center himself. That he is not.

As to opponent fg allowed inside, he's slightly below average, fg allowed in restricted area - 70.8, for comparison, Bam Adebayo 69.8, Poeltl 68.7, Jaxon Hayes 71, Nikola Jokić 71.7,

For the same money as Powell, the Mavs could have Jakob Poeltl.
Dmavs12
Sophomore

Post#996 » by Dmavs12 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:49 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
deb wrote:Yep, Powell is a decent enough rotational center, smart, mobile, unproblematic. He could even be a starter on a team with two star defensive stud forwards. On a team, where Bullock plays the pf position, he has to not only hold his own, but also cover for the crappy forward rotation and thus be a star stud center himself. That he is not.

What we’re saying is you go get Poeltl to start, have lively as his back up, and put Powell in the 3rd string for specific situations. Like back to backs, or when Poeltl needs to rest. Injuries as well. He can also be used effectively against certain line ups. He’s rarely injured. You can’t do better than Powell for a cheap, end of the bench, situational player.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#997 » by deb » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:59 pm

Could they? Really? Poeltl was RFA, signed 26/3 contract in 2020. DP signed a 33/3 contract the same year. If mavs offered that kind of a contract to Poeltl, I'm pretty sure SAS match. And back then, Powell had better stats than Poeltl...
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#998 » by BeiBeau » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:13 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:

What? What every drugs you’re on could you share?

Poeltl is going to get 80 million over 4 years. Powell is going to get 8 million over 3 years. Maybe 12 over 3 at the most.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#999 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:14 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

False

False? Google is free. He was literally on the Mavericks from 2014-2018 before Luka got here.

This whole conversation is hilarious and just proves what we've already known. Most Mavs fans are irrationally dumb when it comes to Powell. Dallas will not find a better center willing to player here for the vet min.

Sorry but here the only dumbass seems you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powell is a 3rd center. No more.
Looney looked like Kareem against him... His lucky in PO was Luka who taked out big C in every series otherwise he can barely play.

Please stop my friend, it's completely useless talking about Dwight Powell in 2023. The history spoken.

We paid 70M/7years a vet min guy just because Cuban didn't want to admit that the Rondo trade was a failure. That's a disaster.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#1000 » by BeiBeau » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:35 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
False

Sorry but here the only dumbass seems you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powell is a 3rd center. No more.
Looney looked like Kareem against him... His lucky in PO was Luka who taked out big C in every series otherwise he can barely play.

Please stop my friend, it's completely useless talking about Dwight Powell in 2023. The history spoken.

We paid 70M/7years a vet min guy just because Cuban didn't want to admit that the Rondo trade was a failure. That's a disaster.

Can we count? 14-15 is 1, 15-16 is 2, 16-17 is 3, 17-18 is 4. That is 4 seasons he was a Dallas maverick without Luka. Luka’s rookie year is 2018-19.

I think we went through this last summer didn’t we? I said Powell had an elite offensive skill in finishing and we argued for days about it. It may not have been you. But either way. History is not against me. Dwight was the only reliable big for the Mavericks last year.

I will be the 1st person to admit that he should not touch the court in the playoffs. I will be the first person to point out his few strengths and many weaknesses. But like it or not he is reliable, has good chemistry with Luka, besides one major injury has a body that holds up well, and is a good locker room guy.

Dallas needs a big who we know will be there every day of the regular season to help the team because our better bigs are

1. Holmes- is a buy low sell high guy who didn’t play for his last team very much last year
2. Lively- is a super talented rookie that I’ve been campaigning for but is still a rookie
3. Kleber- is phenomenal as a backup big. But his body breaks down if asked to do too much
4. McGee- can’t play basketball

When Powell resigns for the vet min we should all be grateful and recognized how lucky we are.

Return to Dallas Mavericks