ImageImageImage

Draft lottery Thread - Mavs #10

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,046

Re: Draft lottery Thread - Mavs #10 

Post#1001 » by daoneandonly » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:54 pm

I don't agree with McGee can't play basketball. He's not worth a 3 year deal or a starting role, but he has a place as a rim protecter and rebounder. Don't mind Javale getting 10 min a night
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,851

Post#1002 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:16 pm

daoneandonly wrote:I don't agree with McGee can't play basketball. He's not worth a 3 year deal or a starting role, but he has a place as a rim protecter and rebounder. Don't mind Javale getting 10 min a night

Agree.
He won 3 rings in that way.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,851

Post#1003 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:34 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
False? Google is free. He was literally on the Mavericks from 2014-2018 before Luka got here.

This whole conversation is hilarious and just proves what we've already known. Most Mavs fans are irrationally dumb when it comes to Powell. Dallas will not find a better center willing to player here for the vet min.

Sorry but here the only dumbass seems you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powell is a 3rd center. No more.
Looney looked like Kareem against him... His lucky in PO was Luka who taked out big C in every series otherwise he can barely play.

Please stop my friend, it's completely useless talking about Dwight Powell in 2023. The history spoken.

We paid 70M/7years a vet min guy just because Cuban didn't want to admit that the Rondo trade was a failure. That's a disaster.

Can we count? 14-15 is 1, 15-16 is 2, 16-17 is 3, 17-18 is 4. That is 4 seasons he was a Dallas maverick without Luka. Luka’s rookie year is 2018-19.

I think we went through this last summer didn’t we? I said Powell had an elite offensive skill in finishing and we argued for days about it. It may not have been you. But either way. History is not against me. Dwight was the only reliable big for the Mavericks last year.

I will be the 1st person to admit that he should not touch the court in the playoffs. I will be the first person to point out his few strengths and many weaknesses. But like it or not he is reliable, has good chemistry with Luka, besides one major injury has a body that holds up well, and is a good locker room guy.

Dallas needs a big who we know will be there every day of the regular season to help the team because our better bigs are

1. Holmes- is a buy low sell high guy who didn’t play for his last team very much last year
2. Lively- is a super talented rookie that I’ve been campaigning for but is still a rookie
3. Kleber- is phenomenal as a backup big. But his body breaks down if asked to do too much
4. McGee- can’t play basketball

When Powell resigns for the vet min we should all be grateful and recognized how lucky we are.

Oh well, you didn't understand.
I was talking about you called him "NBA caliber C", not how many years he played in Mavs jersey :banghead:
Everyone here know how many years we had this mediocre at the C :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And he was trash without Luka. A 4+4 guy.
Nothing more. He has to thank Luka for all his money earned.No way he could have earned that much in other teams. No way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powell never was a "NBA caliber C" and he will never be... Even the moron Mark Cuban understood it.
After 10years.
Finally.

I'm ok with him at vet min obviously.
But it's not the point of the discussion.

Holmes (if healthy and without personale issues)is much better than Powell, do you never watched him?
BeiBeau
Sixth Man
And1: 1,055

Post#1004 » by BeiBeau » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:33 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Sorry but here the only dumbass seems you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powell is a 3rd center. No more.
Looney looked like Kareem against him... His lucky in PO was Luka who taked out big C in every series otherwise he can barely play.

Please stop my friend, it's completely useless talking about Dwight Powell in 2023. The history spoken.

We paid 70M/7years a vet min guy just because Cuban didn't want to admit that the Rondo trade was a failure. That's a disaster.

Can we count? 14-15 is 1, 15-16 is 2, 16-17 is 3, 17-18 is 4. That is 4 seasons he was a Dallas maverick without Luka. Luka’s rookie year is 2018-19.

I think we went through this last summer didn’t we? I said Powell had an elite offensive skill in finishing and we argued for days about it. It may not have been you. But either way. History is not against me. Dwight was the only reliable big for the Mavericks last year.

I will be the 1st person to admit that he should not touch the court in the playoffs. I will be the first person to point out his few strengths and many weaknesses. But like it or not he is reliable, has good chemistry with Luka, besides one major injury has a body that holds up well, and is a good locker room guy.

Dallas needs a big who we know will be there every day of the regular season to help the team because our better bigs are

1. Holmes- is a buy low sell high guy who didn’t play for his last team very much last year
2. Lively- is a super talented rookie that I’ve been campaigning for but is still a rookie
3. Kleber- is phenomenal as a backup big. But his body breaks down if asked to do too much
4. McGee- can’t play basketball

When Powell resigns for the vet min we should all be grateful and recognized how lucky we are.

Oh well, you didn't understand.
I was talking about you called him "NBA caliber C", not how many years he played in Mavs jersey :banghead:
Everyone here know how many years we had this mediocre at the C :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And he was trash without Luka. A 4+4 guy.
Nothing more. He has to thank Luka for all his money earned.No way he could have earned that much in other teams. No way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Powell never was a "NBA caliber C" and he will never be... Even the moron Mark Cuban understood it.
After 10years.
Finally.

I'm ok with him at vet min obviously.
But it's not the point of the discussion.

Holmes (if healthy and without personale issues)is much better than Powell, do you never watched him?

NBA caliber 5 and NBA caliber starting 5 are not the same thing. He’s not a G-leaguer as you’re suggesting.

8.5 Pts, 5.5 rebounds on 20 minutes
6.7 pts, 4 rebounds on 17 minutes
5.8 pts, 4 rebounds on 14 minutes

Those numbers are fine for a backup.

He’s a backup and always has been. But you all hate him because of the failures of the FO when he has done nothing but helped this team.

And yeah I’ve seen plenty of Holmes although not recently. 2 years ago he was just like Dwight just better at literally every thing. He has better touch, a floater and push shot game, he’s more athletic and stronger, and a better rebounder and defender because of said strength.

Supposedly the off court issues and injury issues are handled. He didn’t play this year because he’s a pick and roll big on a team that didn’t run the pick and roll.
Dmavs12
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#1005 » by Dmavs12 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:42 am

I’d rather have a center rotation of
Poeltl or Lopez (18-20 mil) / lively (4 mil) / Powell (2 mil)

Then
Holmes (12 mil) / lively (4mil) / McGee (6 mil)

No doubt Holmes is better than powell, but going into the season with holmes/mcgee/lively as our center rotation makes me want to vomit. Moving Holmes and McGee for a better starter and signing powell close to the minimum is the better way to go.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,576

Post#1006 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:09 am

Dmavs12 wrote:I’d rather have a center rotation of

Then

No doubt Holmes is better than powell, but going into the season with holmes/mcgee/lively as our center rotation makes me want to vomit. Moving Holmes and McGee for a better starter and signing powell close to the minimum is the better way to go.

How on earth are you gonna get the 18-20mill for Jakob or Lopez? Two guys who are most likely going to resign because no championship contender has caproom.

What the Mavs need is a DFS replacement/ a big 3/4 who can hit the 3 and gaurd the LeBron's/A.Gordon/Durant/Kwahi-PG/ and all the other big SF in the west.

And the entire world is actually sleeping on Holmes right now because he didn't play last year due to losing his starting spot to an All-NBA. But he's solid and has ball IQ and sets amazing screens and rebounds. He'll be more than fine in the PnR with Luka or Kyrie.

The big wing player is most important

In Raptor Ball I Trust
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#1007 » by BeiBeau » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:17 am

Dmavs12 wrote:I’d rather have a center rotation of

Then

I’d rather have prime Tyson Chandler or Nikola Jokic. It doesn’t matter though we can’t get any of them without paying way more assets then we have to spend.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1008 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:01 am

From Cuban's interviews with SI, Nico and him were saying that the people might be pleasantly surprised with OMax. His skillset of 3&D allows him to slot right in. It's Lively who needs a bit more development especially he's the guy who calls out screens on defense etc. But OMax might actually start at PF really soon.

If that is the case then Grant Williams or Bruce Brown should just simply replace Bullock when his contract is up. I dont see Bullock getting another 4 year deal with his decline.

I think that's the move to make. Sign one of Grant Williams or Bruce Brown to the MLE. Then vet minimum signings to get the roster to 15. If Mathise Thybulle can be had for the minimum or a S&T with CWood, Im all.for it too.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 686

Post#1009 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:16 am

Mavs did ok in the draft...they drafted based on their needs(size,rebounds,defense), it just seems they went one dimensional again ,but this time not with ofense but with defense...We'll see how it will work out,time will tell,since the rookies are gonna need time(Lively especialy)
Looking now I'd maybe prefer the trade with Atlanta(Capella+#15 for Bertans,#10 and Green) but only it they drafted Whitmore...I know he had bad interviews,medical concers, but he was a projected top7 pick and a modern wing(he could become two way player)...and since Jason Kidd is a players coach,and with Luka and Kai on the team, maybe he would change his attitude(work ethic)...it's just that the upside is much higher for him than Lively,wings are more important than C's(unless you have Jokić or Embild)
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#1010 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:23 am

BeiBeau wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Not bad... But if Green will not become a solid starter this season it's a disaster.
This must be his year.

The problem with Green is he's too small for SF(he's got the size of a SG) and Hardy is more of a SG than PG...if Mavs didn't have Kyrie Cason Wallace would be perfect for this team..Mavs did ok,drafted for their need but you can't expect this team to do much better than last season...rookies rarely help to win games..Mav still have a hole at the PF and SF position...Nico said this is Just the begining,we'll see what they do next... they're obviously waiting on Kyrie and even if he resigns could opt to fully reload in the next offseason

This is modern day position less basketball. Hardy is going to get 0 minutes at the 1 next year when Luka and Kyrie are healthy. And even still Josh was the 3rd ball handler so he’d get PG minutes over Hardy.

Josh being a SG or SF is unimportant. He’s an athletic wing who shoots well and guards small wings and guards the best. To counter that Dallas needs a wing player who guards big wings and forwards best.

Also remember that offensively Luka plays the 1 but defensively he play more of a 4.

Yes,basketball has become positionless,but playing a lineup with Bullock as a PF with Luka,Kai,Green and a center is a recipe for losing the rebounding battle...Mavs playing small is the reason they were outrebounded every game...you need size, it helps defense and rebounding
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1011 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:37 am

BliscoSantos wrote:Mavs did ok in the draft...they drafted based on their needs(size,rebounds,defense), it just seems they went one dimensional again ,but this time not with ofense but with defense...We'll see how it will work out,time will tell,since the rookies are gonna need time(Lively especialy)
Looking now I'd maybe prefer the trade with Atlanta(Capella+#15 for Bertans,#10 and Green) but only it they drafted Whitmore...I know he had bad interviews,medical concers, but he was a projected top7 pick and a modern wing(he could become two way player)...and since Jason Kidd is a players coach,and with Luka and Kai on the team, maybe he would change his attitude(work ethic)...it's just that the upside is much higher for him than Lively,wings are more important than C's(unless you have Jokić or Embild)

Agreed but you have to build with how the team is presented. When Kyrie or Luka stack 20 iso plays after another, the other guys just have to defend and run screens. I dont think Luka will change how he plays which is why it is also difficult to recruit current stars. Because you agreeing to play with Luka means you agree to be a role player for the rest of your career. Forget about running plays for yourself and just watch him dribble and wait for a kick out pass. These are the realities of playing with Luka. Not going to sugarocat that. We know this by now. You will encounter some resistance with vets, but rookies will listen to Luka.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1012 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:41 am

A lot of people like comparing Lively to Tyson Chandler. I would also like to throw a Joakim Noah comparison for him out there. Less of a comparison but hopefully a projection IMO. Both are slim big men who have long wingspans and can defend on switches.

If he can defend like Noah and Prosper can be like Corey Brewer then Nico is on to something there.
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#1013 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:51 am

arkuo wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:Mavs did ok in the draft...they drafted based on their needs(size,rebounds,defense), it just seems they went one dimensional again ,but this time not with ofense but with defense...We'll see how it will work out,time will tell,since the rookies are gonna need time(Lively especialy)

Agreed but you have to build with how the team is presented. When Kyrie or Luka stack 20 iso plays after another, the other guys just have to defend and run screens. I dont think Luka will change how he plays which is why it is also difficult to recruit current stars. Because you agreeing to play with Luka means you agree to be a role player for the rest of your career. Forget about running plays for yourself and just watch him dribble and wait for a kick out pass. These are the realities of playing with Luka. Not going to sugarocat that. We know this by now. You will encounter some resistance with vets, but rookies will listen to Luka.

Agree...but that't the coaches fault,runing iso,no set plays...Luka played/was raised by Real Madrid and they run set plays...he's capable of playing a team oriented basketball,even did it when Slovenia won the european tittle...the Mavs decided to Play this way cause they had too many one dimensional Players..i have to say that I enjoyed Luka's game a lot more the first three season and was really frustrated with his last one(thought the numbers were good)..you can't run iso every game all the time since it Will wear the player down...Besides Luka,Kai,Hardy and Green(to some extent) who on this roster can drible the ball,make a pass,penetrate
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1014 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:57 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Agree...but that't the coaches fault,runing iso,no set plays...Luka played/was raised by Real Madrid and they run set plays...he's capable of playing a team oriented basketball,even did it when Slovenia won the european tittle...the Mavs decided to Play this way cause they had too many one dimensional Players..i have to say that I enjoyed Luka's game a lot more the first three season and was really frustrated with his last one(thought the numbers were good)..you can't run iso every game all the time since it Will wear the player down...Besides Luka,Kai,Hardy and Green(to some extent) who on this roster can drible the ball,make a pass,penetrate

Luka likes to go Spanoulis on every play. It's his idol and patterned his game similar to him. He needs to look at how Jokic and Murray run the two man plays. He'll get his flowers when he wins a ring, not when he gets included in Sportscenter's weekly top 10 plays for no look passes IMO.

Jokic and Murray. Sabonis and Fox. The blueprint is out there. But he keeps doing isos like Harden and Embiid and Mavs might end up similar to Philly. Since he's a "basketball genius" at age 14, he doesnt have to wait for Kidd to give instructions though. He can make on court adjustments considering he holds the ball for 19 seconds out of the 24. Its something he has to learn. The top 2 teams in the West play a similar two man game and were successful at it. He doesnt have to go Steve Jobs at it and reinvent the wheel.
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#1015 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:03 am

arkuo wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Luka likes to go Spanoulis on every play. It's his idol and patterned his game similar to him. He needs to look at how Jokic and Murray run the two man plays. He'll get his flowers when he wins a ring, not when he gets included in Sportscenter's weekly top 10 plays for no look passes IMO.

Jokic and Murray. Sabonis and Fox. The blueprint is out there. But he keeps doing isos like Harden and Embiid and Mavs might end up similar to Philly. Since he's a "basketball genius" at age 14, he doesnt have to wait for Kidd to give instructions though. He can make on court adjustments considering he holds the ball for 19 seconds out of the 24. Its something he has to learn. The top 2 teams in the West play a similar two man game and were successful at it. He doesnt have to go Steve Jobs at it and reinvent the wheel.

You named two big man-pg duos...which big on the Mavs had the Quality of those two big men?..big man-pg/SG is a recipe for succes bit the Mavs paired Luka with another PG...you can't run pick and rolo with Luka and Kyrie,Just pick and pop
Remember that Fox-Haliburton duo wasn't exactly a succes
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#1016 » by BeiBeau » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:08 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

The problem with Green is he's too small for SF(he's got the size of a SG) and Hardy is more of a SG than PG...if Mavs didn't have Kyrie Cason Wallace would be perfect for this team..Mavs did ok,drafted for their need but you can't expect this team to do much better than last season...rookies rarely help to win games..Mav still have a hole at the PF and SF position...Nico said this is Just the begining,we'll see what they do next... they're obviously waiting on Kyrie and even if he resigns could opt to fully reload in the next offseason

This is modern day position less basketball. Hardy is going to get 0 minutes at the 1 next year when Luka and Kyrie are healthy. And even still Josh was the 3rd ball handler so he’d get PG minutes over Hardy.

Josh being a SG or SF is unimportant. He’s an athletic wing who shoots well and guards small wings and guards the best. To counter that Dallas needs a wing player who guards big wings and forwards best.

Also remember that offensively Luka plays the 1 but defensively he play more of a 4.

Yes,basketball has become positionless,but playing a lineup with Bullock as a PF with Luka,Kai,Green and a center is a recipe for losing the rebounding battle...Mavs playing small is the reason they were outrebounded every game...you need size, it helps defense and rebounding

Agreed. If Green continues on the trajectory that he’s has been on the last 3 years he will be our best defender and wing this year(barring any signings or trades). I think the odd man out from the line up last year is Bullock. It’s time for him to go back to the bench we need a big wing in his place. Josh can stay to guard small wings and guards. Get a Grant Williams type to guard the bigger forwards. Plus Dallas got bigger at center. Holmes is short but athletic and strong and rebounds well. Lively is 7’1” with a 7’7” wing span is around 230 pounds. His rebounding is much better then his stats from Duke would indicate.

With a big forward, Luka, and Lively or Holmes. Our rebounding should be much better. That big forward is important though.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1017 » by arkuo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:12 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
arkuo wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

You named two big man-pg duos...which big on the Mavs had the Quality of those two big men?..big man-pg/SG is a recipe for succes bit the Mavs paired Luka with another PG...you can't run pick and rolo with Luka and Kyrie,Just pick and pop

It's positionless basketball. It's less about the height but more about matchups and where the offense is coming from. Luka playing like Luka makes traditional big men like Gobert obsolete. And the offense comes from him, so you can actually play him from the PF spot and force the opposing big man to guard him. It creates mismatches. If we match height for height then we are playing into the opponents' hand IMO. I think Luka creating plays from the PF spot works better. He's 6'7 but moves like he's 7'2. He doesnt need to defend opposing guards from the PF position. So it's a win win for me.

Pick and rolls with a quicker guard like Kyrie have been done by Lebron and Kobe. Lebron and Kobe knew how to set screens, videos of these are out on youtube. So it's doable. Luka just has to realize this and that its easier to run plays like that than carry the whole scoring load on his back. The bottomline is he doesnt have to go Spanoulis on every play. It seems typical for a kid trying to impress his father from the stands. It's nice, but it doesnt have to be like that. Its been 5 years, so this year he gets new teammates again that hopefully "fit his style of basketball". So lets hope it works or next season we go out again and look for more guys who fit his style of basketball again. It seems a lot of the caveat gets stuck on that aspect.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#1018 » by BeiBeau » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:21 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Dallas’ Spain pick and role was one of the most effective sets in the NBA 2 years ago during their conference run.

This is the major problem with a mid season trade and why they never result in titles. These players are super smart but you need weeks of training camp to build your sets.

Green is the 3rd best ball handler and passer on the team. THJ has a handle as well. I would like to add vet min PG, D Rose maybe?

The thing that excited me an absolute **** ton about Lively and why he moved up my board really quickly is because of how good of a passer he is. His handle is average but his passing is really good. I think I saw that only Lively and Anthony Davis have put up a 1.6 assist to turn over ratio in college basketball as a big man in like the last 15 years. (I might be missing one more).

I know Kyrie loves to run the short pick and roll and Dallas was trying to get a lot of top of the key screens and actions going with Powell. The problem is Powell doesn’t have the passing to really make that work the same way a Draymond does. That’s another set they could add this summer.
BeiBeau
Sixth Man

Post#1019 » by BeiBeau » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:25 am

arkuo wrote:A lot of people like comparing Lively to Tyson Chandler. I would also like to throw a Joakim Noah comparison for him out there. Less of a comparison but hopefully a projection IMO. Both are slim big men who have long wingspans and can defend on switches.

If he can defend like Noah and Prosper can be like Corey Brewer then Nico is on to something there.

The Joakim Noah comparison is a fantastic one I hadn’t thought of. Lively is a lot longer though. Kinda Tyson body with Joakim passing.
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 410

Post#1020 » by boogiezen » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:57 am

Another day, another Luka bashing by the clown arkuo on this forum. Hey clown, how do you propose then? The team is lacking defensively. This is not the first time that Dallas has a problem with defense even during Dirk era except the 2011 title. You want him to be like Jokic and Murray? Like how? You want him to have a ball like Murray do pick n' roll? Like isn't what he is doing now? Jokic? Like posting? Passing? Setting up his teammates? Every team, every player is unique. Lakers won a title in the bubble. Bucks won a title. Warriors won a title. ALL that teams played differently. The similarity? They have balance and played defense!!!!!!

As you can see, when Kai arrived, Luka actually letting him have the ball. They just don't have the personnel defensively. They won 50+ games and made a run in the Western conference last year because of DEFENSE. Kidd implemented ISO plays even when Luka was not playing!! See the UTAH series with Brunson and Spencer!

And funny about vet not wanting Dallas, when this is always been the problem with Dallas since Dirk years. :crazy:

So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)

Return to Dallas Mavericks