ImageImageImage

FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 – (Aug. 25 - Sept. 10)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Re: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 – (Aug. 25 - Sept. 10) 

Post#161 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 2:12 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Good win, the Wagners are really underrated. The last few minutes reminded me of Luka ISO hero ball just with Schroeder running it.

Franz and Mo are very good basketball players...

Franz is good(great) ,Mo is still in the NBA cause he's Franz's brother :lol:

Obviously Franz is better but NBA is full of worse players than Mo... Powell is the first :lol:
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 705

Post#162 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Sep 6, 2023 2:14 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Franz and Mo are very good basketball players...

Obviously Franz is better but NBA is full of worse players than Mo... Powell is the first :lol:

I doubt that...if Mo came to Dallas ,Powell would still be infront of him
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#163 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Sep 6, 2023 2:18 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I told you, Canada is too good and Deep for Slovenia.

Canada is better,no doubt about it,still, the referees really did gave them some favorable(soft) calls..Olynik Got softer calls then Luka
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#164 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 3:04 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

In Dallas probably prime Shaq would still behind Powell too...
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,086

Post#165 » by Archx » Wed Sep 6, 2023 3:28 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:In Dallas probably prime Shaq would still behind Powell too...

Luka hunted him for the entire game because he knew what was Canada's weakest link on defense, but obviously Kidd will award him with a starting C spot again. :nod:
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#166 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Sep 6, 2023 4:29 pm

I'm one of biggest Luka critics(hate his complaining,whinning) but the Canadians were allowed to be a lot more physical...they were the better team but Shai,RJ and Olynik got some weak/soft calls
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,875

Post#167 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 5:17 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

In Dallas probably prime Shaq would still behind Powell too...

Exactly this. Mo is easily better than any of our current bigs.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,875

Post#168 » by dirkules_41 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 5:18 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:I'm one of biggest Luka critics(hate his complaining,whinning) but the Canadians were allowed to be a lot more physical...they were the better team but Shai,RJ and Olynik got some weak/soft calls

I didn't watch the game but looking at the result it looks to me like Luka just reaffirmed what pissed me off all tournament long already, he keeps costing his teams with his lack of focus and discipline.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 6:38 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:I'm one of biggest Luka critics(hate his complaining,whinning) but the Canadians were allowed to be a lot more physical...they were the better team but Shai,RJ and Olynik got some weak/soft calls

I didn't watch the game but looking at the result it looks to me like Luka just reaffirmed what pissed me off all tournament long already, he keeps costing his teams with his lack of focus and discipline.

He is right but Luka attitude is terrible, i'm not surprise that the refs didn't call all the fouls on him.

He needs to be a true leader. Not a cry one.
Grow up Luka.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#170 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 6, 2023 7:53 pm

Lets hope playing with Kyrie makes Luka settle down a bit. Can't be a leader and get yourself thrown out woth 2 technical fouls. Imagine that happening to the Mavs in a playoff series. Guys like Marcus Morris, Dillon Brooks are easy bait for Luka. 2 techs and you're out.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,516

Post#171 » by Maverick41 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:51 pm

Let's give props to Dillon Brooks and Dort for the defense they played. Yes, there's zero doubt that they were allowed to be more physical, but their reputation as good defenders gave them that extra leash to do so. Luka should know this and adjust his game to stop foul hunting. And of course, stop complaining. Everyone just looks at him as a spoiled whiner at this point. It's a very bad look.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,596

Post#172 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:10 pm

arkuo wrote:Lets hope playing with Kyrie makes Luka settle down a bit. Can't be a leader and get yourself thrown out woth 2 technical fouls. Imagine that happening to the Mavs in a playoff series. Guys like Marcus Morris, Dillon Brooks are easy bait for Luka. 2 techs and you're out.

You're not getting those technicals in Nba. :lol:

Sga 16 Fts, Luka 7, it looks Brooks&co. are getting soft lately.
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#173 » by BliscoSantos » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:53 pm

Maverick41 wrote:Let's give props to Dillon Brooks and Dort for the defense they played. Yes, there's zero doubt that they were allowed to be more physical, but their reputation as good defenders gave them that extra leash to do so. Luka should know this and adjust his game to stop foul hunting. And of course, stop complaining. Everyone just looks at him as a spoiled whiner at this point. It's a very bad look.

I agree ,he needs to stop complaining,it's not gonna change anything, the refs will call even less cause they won't let you bully them...and thats's exactly what happened this game, Canada was alowed to be physical and the Slovenian National team was called for some soft fouls,the criteria wasn't the same for both teams...allegedly one of the refs even said Don't call him fouls(refering to Brooks)
Bob8
General Manager

Post#174 » by Bob8 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:03 am

BliscoSantos wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Let's give props to Dillon Brooks and Dort for the defense they played. Yes, there's zero doubt that they were allowed to be more physical, but their reputation as good defenders gave them that extra leash to do so. Luka should know this and adjust his game to stop foul hunting. And of course, stop complaining. Everyone just looks at him as a spoiled whiner at this point. It's a very bad look.

I agree ,he needs to stop complaining,it's not gonna change anything, the refs will call even less cause they won't let you bully them...and thats's exactly what happened this game, Canada was alowed to be physical and the Slovenian National team was called for some soft fouls,the criteria wasn't the same for both teams...allegedly one of the refs even said Don't call him fouls(refering to Brooks)

It's easy to say stop complaining. I would like to see people here in pickup game, if someone is nonstop calling fouls and other not. I'm sure game will end in fight.

It's nothing wrong, if Fiba referees are having more strict rules for fouls, but it must be the same for both sides. It impossible to hold one player nonstop and he gets 7 fts and the other gets 16 Fts, being visibly defended more softly. The only thing referees should do is to whistle equally for both sides. It doesn't matter if they allow soft or hard game, but criteria must be the same. It for sure wasn't the case yesterday and it wasn't the case in game Canada:Spain either. That start of Q3 was hilarious, like they wanted Canada back in the game.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#175 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:06 am

Came here to see what the Dallas fans were thinking of Luka's performance. Nice to see there is at least one fan base that seems to have an unbiased opinion of their players.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#176 » by Maverick41 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:27 am

Bob8 wrote:It's easy to say stop complaining. I would like to see people here in pickup game, if someone is nonstop calling fouls and other not. I'm sure game will end in fight.

It's nothing wrong, if Fiba referees are having more strict rules for fouls, but it must be the same for both sides. It impossible to hold one player nonstop and he gets 7 fts and the other gets 16 Fts, being visibly defended more softly. The only thing referees should do is to whistle equally for both sides. It doesn't matter if they allow soft or hard game, but criteria must be the same. It for sure wasn't the case yesterday and it wasn't the case in game Canada:Spain either. That start of Q3 was hilarious, like they wanted Canada back in the game.

I'm not sure what pickup games you play but the ones I play, there are no fouls. I guess the REALLY obvious ones are called but the casual hacks aren't. You start complaining left and right in the street about fouls and you're the one that's getting kicked out, not the fouler.

But yes in general, Canada got more whistles. I'm of the opinion though that Luka's constant whining is a huge reason why he many doesn't get the calls he wants. He doesn't have enough respect from the refs because he barks at literally all of them, all game. I know he's passionate and all that but there's a line between passion and being annoying. At this point, the refs just find him annoying and are treating him as such. Luka needs to mature, period. His complaining has hurt the Mavs. It's hurt his NT. No excuses anymore.
BliscoSantos
Rookie

Post#177 » by BliscoSantos » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:30 am

I wish Luka was more like his father as a Player...while Saša was never nearly as good as Luka he had the same built,but he never complained...I think Luka might have picked that up in Spain
Funny thing is he admited in press confidence that he complains too much,that the emotions get the Best of him,but he's gonna have to realize that he won't change refs mind...he's only hurting his team behaving this way...Play thru, the coach is there to yell at the refs when they Don't have fair criteria,you Just concentrate on your Play...I know it's hard to control your emotions(especialy in a game like yesterday) but suck it up
I know he hates losing but the fact that he got this roster among Best 8 teams in the world is a good result...only Luka and Prepelic(maybe) would get on the Serbian and German national team...the team lacks size and talent... Hopefully some of the up and coming youngsters develop like they are projected too but it's gonna take 3-4 years minimum for Slovenia to build a roster capable competing(and 3-4 years is probably optimistic)
Bob8
General Manager

Post#178 » by Bob8 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:46 am

Maverick41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:It's easy to say stop complaining. I would like to see people here in pickup game, if someone is nonstop calling fouls and other not. I'm sure game will end in fight.

I'm not sure what pickup games you play but the ones I play, there are no fouls. I guess the REALLY obvious ones are called but the casual hacks aren't. You start complaining left and right in the street about fouls and you're the one that's getting kicked out, not the fouler.

But yes in general, Canada got more whistles. I'm of the opinion though that Luka's constant whining is a huge reason why he many doesn't get the calls he wants. He doesn't have enough respect from the refs because he barks at literally all of them, all game. I know he's passionate and all that but there's a line between passion and being annoying. At this point, the refs just find him annoying and are treating him as such. Luka needs to mature, period. His complaining has hurt the Mavs. It's hurt his NT. No excuses anymore.

They whistled every contact on Sga, that's fight in pickup or any kind of game.

Slovenia was losing that game not because Luka was complaining, but because referees allowed extremely physical D on him and very soft on Canadians. When he was ejected game was long over.

When did his complaining hurt Mavs? Mavs were hurt by their FO mostly.
Maverick41
Analyst

Post#179 » by Maverick41 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 1:01 am

Bob8 wrote:When did his complaining hurt Mavs? Mavs were hurt by their FO mostly.

Oh c'mon Bob. First of all, every tech he gets gifts the opposing team a free point. He's had several ejections from games. Every darn year, we pray to the Mavs gods that he doesn't get suspended for having too many techs. Hell, we got lucky a few times from the grace of Adam Silver for rescinding some of his techs to avoid it. Also let's not forget the negative effect it has on his teammates as well.

We're all Mavs fans here but let's not be blind to the facts. Luka isn't flawless.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#180 » by Bob8 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 6:54 am

Maverick41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:When did his complaining hurt Mavs? Mavs were hurt by their FO mostly.

Oh c'mon Bob. First of all, every tech he gets gifts the opposing team a free point. He's had several ejections from games. Every darn year, we pray to the Mavs gods that he doesn't get suspended for having too many techs. Hell, we got lucky a few times from the grace of Adam Silver for rescinding some of his techs to avoid it. Also let's not forget the negative effect it has on his teammates as well.

We're all Mavs fans here but let's not be blind to the facts. Luka isn't flawless.

If I remember right he had 3 ejections, that means he's ejected every 120 games. And all those ejections were in RS. So I can be pretty sure those ejections didn't cost Mavs anything.

Gifting free points to the opponents? That's 15 points in the season, if they hit all FTs, which is very unlikely. Luka has missed around 180 Fts himself last year, which hurt his team a lot more.

Negative effect on his teammates? That's a bit hard to measure, but I would guess that they're more or less used by now.

But we have to look at other side of equation too. Do you really believe that all that pressure which more or less all Nba stars and coaches are putting on referees don't bring something back too? Don't you think that Luka gets some FTs because of that too? Don't you think that coaches are provoking technical to change criteria sometimes?

I agree his nonstop talking to referees and complaining is annoying. But it's Nba, they want their stars shining, all this is part of entertainment. Be realistic, Luka won't change much. Those reactions are difficult to sustain. But Mavs won't lose much because of that, like they didn't in playoffs games they have already played, they just need competitive team. In Nba it's very simple, you are whiner, loser, overrated...until you win the ring. After that, all is forgotten.

Luka for sure isn't flawless, but I would like a lot more, if he can hit Fts with 80+%, 3s over 37% and be In better shape. That's doable and would bring Mavs a lot more. If he can do that, he can continue complaining about everything. ;)

Return to Dallas Mavericks