ImageImageImage

Best rotation for team defense, rim protection and rebounding.

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Re: Best rotation for team defense, rim protection and rebounding. 

Post#21 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:17 am

I must say Lively plays amazing overall. He is like Tyson Chandler-lite. He makes every defensive rotation better immediately.
Grant Williams is also playing pretty good for what he is paid for.

Jerami Grant, Rob. Williams, some other PF... We kinda need one there. It would help the team with 2nd units too.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,829

Post#22 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:51 pm

Mavs rank 26th at 55.1 points per game allowed in the paint (last 3 games 64 ppg).

Powell minutes are increasing...so... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:42 pm

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:11 am

ozwizard8 wrote:I must say Lively plays amazing overall. He is like Tyson Chandler-lite. He makes every defensive rotation better immediately.
Grant Williams is also playing pretty good for what he is paid for.

Jerami Grant, Rob. Williams, some other PF... We kinda need one there. It would help the team with 2nd units too.

I gushed over Aaron Gordon acquisition a lot at the time.

This Mavs team and Luka always needed a good defensive team that is doing decent on offense.
But Cuban and his front offices are always going in the wrong direction. Spending all trade assets, picks, salary on Kyrie and 4 year max extension was a terrible decision.

Lively is a nice surprise so far but a rookie center is not enough. Ideally, we would have a solid starting C and Lively would be our 20 mpg bench guy.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:46 am

The Min guy Goga Bitadze is 100x times better than Powell.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:57 am

Daniel Theis too
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:01 pm

News on DLII?
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#28 » by tleikheen » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 am

Denver has Jokic/AG/MPJ .... Minn has Gobert / Towns/ McDaniels .... both rising to the top of the Western Conference . Mavs have Lively ,a slumping GWms ,and DJJ as the guys who will battle Denver and Minn in the paint.
Might be time to reevaluate who Dallas wants to have to compete literally with the "Big Boys" of the Western Conf.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 684

Post#29 » by BliscoSantos » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:26 am

I think this team's biggest weakness is the coaching team...Just Look at the Rockets...by hiring Udoka they became a good defensive team...yes,this team has glaring weaknesses ,but a good coach can get them to at least try on that end...instead,Kidd relies on O, playing small(weird) lineups,thinking they're Golden State :banghead:
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,567

Post#30 » by jpengland » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:54 pm

jpengland wrote:I think Exum will be starting by all star break.

Just saying...
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:53 am

jpengland wrote:
jpengland wrote:I think Exum will be starting by all star break.

Just saying...

Really nice prediction with the consideration of Kyrie's injury history.

Lively greatly exceeded my expectations. He is a huge factor and 2nd most valuable Mavs now!

When paired with Exum, Luka looks like a much better defender. He is putting up steals and blocks.
No Kyrie means Luka can take the worst offensive player of the other team, and rest more on the defensive matchup similar to what Lebron does in his recent years for the regular season. Harden was also doing that to sustain the offensive load in Houston.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:56 am

BliscoSantos wrote:I think this team's biggest weakness is the coaching team...Just Look at the Rockets...by hiring Udoka they became a good defensive team...yes,this team has glaring weaknesses ,but a good coach can get them to at least try on that end...instead,Kidd relies on O, playing small(weird) lineups,thinking they're Golden State :banghead:

Udoka doing a fine job but we should acknowledge the roster additions. Dillon Brooks and FVV are solid veterans.
It took them $60m to add those two. They overpaid FVV but its better than being in Detroit Pistons situation.

Dillon Brooks put too much energy on both sides. Hope Josh Green can get there.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#33 » by Mavrelous » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:39 pm

This thread needs bumping after the latest trades:

Big Lineup against big centers or lineup that wants to overpower smaller lineups (like against OKC), probably deficient in spacing and relies on Luka being hot on his step backs
Lively/Gafford
PJW/Maxi
Luka/DJJ
Exum/THJ
Kyrie/Green

Lineup with defensive and offensive versatility
Lively/Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

Small ball, very switchable, good spacing
Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#34 » by tleikheen » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:27 am

Big Lineup against big centers or lineup that wants to overpower smaller lineups (like against OKC), probably deficient in spacing and relies on Luka being hot on his step backs
Lively/Gafford
PJW/Maxi
Luka/DJJ
Exum/THJ
Kyrie/Green

Lively/Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

I like most of this but the Dallas Mavs identity needs to be forged and that starts with Luka and Kyrie . There's lots of good twosomes in the league but it's a guards league and Dallas just might have 1 and 1A in the best guards playing now.
We can go back and forth on who should start at Center but I see them both splitting duties at Center and playing with alot of energy when their playing ,Gaff and Lively are a major plus at Center position.

I think Exum IF FULLY HEALTHY will be the POA defensive guard starting but Josh Green will get plenty of court time himself. Exum 's experience plus he's better than Green will be the deciding factor as I think the Mavs are poised to make a move after the All Star break.

This is the x-factor is PJ Washington .The Mavs need to get him going and comfortable sooner than later. We've already seen he's not good offensively or defensively BUT he's not bad either ,He has length and desire and the Mavs need to bring that along quickly.

Starters : Luka 6'7",Kyrie 6'2", Exum 6'5", Washington 6'8", Gafford 6'10"

Key Reserves : Lively 7'1", THJ 6'5", Green 6'5"
Reserves : Maxi 6'10",DJJ 6'6"

Roles got to be designated and Mavs play for Wins and position in the Western Conference.

There's some teams heating up . Mavs ,Lakers,Suns,Pelicans,&Warriors and you better be able to score some points or you're gonna get smoked.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#35 » by Mavrelous » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:37 am

I think Lively, even at 19, is a better player than Gafford, we just saw that yesterday against the Spurs, his problem is that he couldn't be relied upon due to weak body, which led to injuries, and the constant fouling out threat.
Lively, Gafford and Maxi is a versatile center selection, that can fit every situational need.
Exum/Green as 2nd guard is a good rotation piece.
PJW is indeed the wildcard, if he can be potent enough offensively and can develop enough chemistry in a short period, this raises the ceiling of the team.
PJW/DJJ as forward rotation next to Luka in also very good.
We'll see, I'm excited to see what they can come up with.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tleikheen
Analyst

Post#36 » by tleikheen » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:25 am

Lively is blessed he landed on a team with Luka and Kyrie and Exum. Guards who excel at breaking the paint and letting him play at the rim . Now Gafford gets to play with these same guards and with his grown man strength and big hops his 11 pys 8 rebs are gonna take a jump.....big time. I dont think Lively is better RIGHT NOW but his ceiling is higher Gafford is better right now and by playoffs we'll easily see that but they'll still split the Center position because that makes the Mavs more dangerous when they do.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter

:o :o :o
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,042

Post#38 » by daoneandonly » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:49 pm

Mavrelous wrote:This thread needs bumping after the latest trades:

Lively/Gafford
PJW/Maxi
Luka/DJJ
Exum/THJ
Kyrie/Green

Lively/Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

I dont think we can put or count on Exum in any "ideal" lineup. He's proven he's exactly what he was his 1st stint in the Association, always out
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:52 pm

Mavrelous wrote:This thread needs bumping after the latest trades:

Lively/Gafford
PJW/Maxi
Luka/DJJ
Exum/THJ
Kyrie/Green

Lively/Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

Perhaps we shouldn't go too small at once. I think Luka-Kyrie has enough offensive power. You may want to add 3rd guard or just have 5-out offensive spacing. Having both of those would make Mavs lose rebounding, and the defense will suck. Last year was like this, GSW series was kinda like this as well.

Option 1: 3 guard lineup (Luka, Kyrie, Exum) with a rebounder(PJ) and rimp rotector(Gafford-Lively)
This one has more guards who can dribble the ball and create.
Option 2: Luka-Kyrie-Green-Wash-Maxi
This one has 5 out lineup. Against Twolves it might be useful to take Gobert out.

Compared to last year there is a huge difference. I am so glad that Mavs is finally a basketball team again. Defense and rebounding is needed if you want to showcase Luka's offensive genius! Also if you let opponent score easily they tend to have momentum and also be happy to give effort on their defensive side. So now, we can put the stress on the opponent as they'll have hard time to score but have offensive monsters to stop.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:57 pm

tleikheen wrote:

Lively/Gafford
PJW/Maxi
Luka/DJJ
Exum/THJ
Kyrie/Green

Lively/Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

Maxi
PJW/DJJ
Luka/THJ
Exum/Green
Kyrie/Hardy

I like most of this but the Dallas Mavs identity needs to be forged and that starts with Luka and Kyrie . There's lots of good twosomes in the league but it's a guards league and Dallas just might have 1 and 1A in the best guards playing now.
We can go back and forth on who should start at Center but I see them both splitting duties at Center and playing with alot of energy when their playing ,Gaff and Lively are a major plus at Center position.

I think Exum IF FULLY HEALTHY will be the POA defensive guard starting but Josh Green will get plenty of court time himself. Exum 's experience plus he's better than Green will be the deciding factor as I think the Mavs are poised to make a move after the All Star break.

This is the x-factor is PJ Washington .The Mavs need to get him going and comfortable sooner than later. We've already seen he's not good offensively or defensively BUT he's not bad either ,He has length and desire and the Mavs need to bring that along quickly.

Starters : Luka 6'7",Kyrie 6'2", Exum 6'5", Washington 6'8", Gafford 6'10"

Key Reserves : Lively 7'1", THJ 6'5", Green 6'5"
Reserves : Maxi 6'10",DJJ 6'6"

Roles got to be designated and Mavs play for Wins and position in the Western Conference.

There's some teams heating up . Mavs ,Lakers,Suns,Pelicans,&Warriors and you better be able to score some points or you're gonna get smoked.

Not a fan of going small. Kidd knew that Mavs did not have enough roster pieces to have a solid defensive rotation so he was trying to compensate it with a better offense.
Now we have either Lively/Gafford for 48 minutes. Maxi is getting back to his old form. PJ has decent size and athleticism.

I think the objective should be an above-average defensive team. Similar to Denver Nuggets championship recipe. Just put an above average defense on the court while having players that can shoot 3s or finish with rolls/cuts to the rim. Assume rebounding is included for the defense.

Let Luka cook, Kyrie assist him, and THJ will create damage once in every three games. Green can make open 3s. Maxi is proven in playoffs that he will hit clutch shots. Gafford/Lively is offering the 3rd dimension to the offense. That is enough offense. Just be an above-average defensive team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks