ImageImageImage

Best rotation for team defense, rim protection and rebounding.

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Re: Best rotation for team defense, rim protection and rebounding. 

Post#41 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:04 am

ozwizard8 wrote:Perhaps we shouldn't go too small at once. I think Luka-Kyrie has enough offensive power. You may want to add 3rd guard or just have 5-out offensive spacing. Having both of those would make Mavs lose rebounding, and the defense will suck. Last year was like this, GSW series was kinda like this as well.

Option 1: 3 guard lineup (Luka, Kyrie, Exum) with a rebounder(PJ) and rimp rotector(Gafford-Lively)
This one has more guards who can dribble the ball and create.
Option 2: Luka-Kyrie-Green-Wash-Maxi
This one has 5 out lineup. Against Twolves it might be useful to take Gobert out.

Compared to last year there is a huge difference. I am so glad that Mavs is finally a basketball team again. Defense and rebounding is needed if you want to showcase Luka's offensive genius! Also if you let opponent score easily they tend to have momentum and also be happy to give effort on their defensive side. So now, we can put the stress on the opponent as they'll have hard time to score but have offensive monsters to stop.

It'll be interesting, Mavs have consistently gone small in 22 because they didn't have a center, KP was a stretch 5 so 5 out didn't require going small before 22.
It'll be interesting what they are going to do, lineups featuring
Lively/Gafford/Maxi
PJW/DJJ/Maxi
Green/Exum
Next to Luka and Kyrie should be very good to elite defensively, but I fear the spacing with suffer massively.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#42 » by tleikheen » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:54 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Perhaps we shouldn't go too small at once. I think Luka-Kyrie has enough offensive power. You may want to add 3rd guard or just have 5-out offensive spacing. Having both of those would make Mavs lose rebounding, and the defense will suck. Last year was like this, GSW series was kinda like this as well.

Option 1: 3 guard lineup (Luka, Kyrie, Exum) with a rebounder(PJ) and rimp rotector(Gafford-Lively)
This one has 5 out lineup. Against Twolves it might be useful to take Gobert out.

Compared to last year there is a huge difference. I am so glad that Mavs is finally a basketball team again. Defense and rebounding is needed if you want to showcase Luka's offensive genius! Also if you let opponent score easily they tend to have momentum and also be happy to give effort on their defensive side. So now, we can put the stress on the opponent as they'll have hard time to score but have offensive monsters to stop.

I think Gobert and the TWolves will destroy Maxi and the smallball lineup . Wolves are on top of the West because they play big and to beat them you have to play big .
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,438

Post#43 » by Mavrelous » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:12 am

tleikheen wrote:
I think Gobert and the TWolves will destroy Maxi and the smallball lineup . Wolves are on top of the West because they play big and to beat them you have to play big .

Maxi destroyed Gobert in the Jazz series 2 years ago, totally outplayed him, but, crucial factor in this series was the putrid defense that Donovan Mitchell played and forced Gobert into endless rotations, Wolves have ANT, McDaniels and NAW as perimeter defenders so Gobert will have much easier job.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#44 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:18 pm

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#45 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:19 pm

tleikheen wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Perhaps we shouldn't go too small at once. I think Luka-Kyrie has enough offensive power. You may want to add 3rd guard or just have 5-out offensive spacing. Having both of those would make Mavs lose rebounding, and the defense will suck. Last year was like this, GSW series was kinda like this as well.

Wolves offense gets pretty stagnant against good teams. I bet it'll get worse in the playoffs.
So they kinda need to have Conley on offense who is no better than Mitchell defensively.

I don't trust Maxi to take out Gobert entirely, but I think he can be effective in some stretches. Gobert is kinda famous to become much less effective at playoffs. When a team focus on others weaknesses, it becomes easier to game plan against Gobert. I think Edwards is also not too hard to contain as he doesn't have too much of moves or reliable shot.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by ozwizard8 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:23 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Perhaps we shouldn't go too small at once. I think Luka-Kyrie has enough offensive power. You may want to add 3rd guard or just have 5-out offensive spacing. Having both of those would make Mavs lose rebounding, and the defense will suck. Last year was like this, GSW series was kinda like this as well.

It'll be interesting, Mavs have consistently gone small in 22 because they didn't have a center, KP was a stretch 5 so 5 out didn't require going small before 22.
It'll be interesting what they are going to do, lineups featuring
Lively/Gafford/Maxi
PJW/DJJ/Maxi
Green/Exum
Next to Luka and Kyrie should be very good to elite defensively, but I fear the spacing with suffer massively.

When its playoff time, players who have a suspect 3pt shot can really vanish from the floor. DJJ is a question for me. Exum needs to keep mental toughness as well. Lets see how PJ does.

One more important thing is whether they can iniate offense in 4v3, attacking closeouts. Lively is great at this, and he can dish as well. I am not aware how Gaffard does in those situations. Good thing is both Lively and Gafford can finish oops. So they should be able to create some spacing inside, vertical spacing in a sense.
Another thing I like is how both Lively and Gafford are good FT shooters for the C position. Its important for playoffs.

Excited to see how things will evolve. I still can't believe how Suns and some other playoff teams sleeper on Gafford who was available for a very late 1st round pick on a bad draft year + salary dump. 28th pick and salary dump for Gafford who is young and has a reasonable contract.
AJace
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#47 » by AJace » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:40 am

What's the point of drafting a center and trading for another one if in end, we still live and die by the Maxi Kleber train?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,834

Post#48 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:02 am

AJace wrote:What's the point of drafting a center and trading for another one if in end, we still live and die by the Maxi Kleber train?

I'm ready for a Dwight Powell starting lineup come back...
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:11 am

However i can just immagine how Nico feels after traded for a C at the TDL but the coach played Kleber 30minutes a game :lol: :lol: :lol:
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:13 pm

Dwight Powell since the Gafford trade

9 DNP - CDs out of 19 games (playing in only around half of games)

44 minutes played in those 10 games (4.4mpg in the games he plays)

@Beibeau ... How's our bet going about Powell 10mpg per game? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finally that scrub is out of rotation 8-)
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:15 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Dwight Powell since the Gafford trade

Hey kiddo, first of all, get a life.
Secondly, if you have a crush on another poster, you can message them privately.
Talk basketball on this topic. It's all of your spam here.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:18 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:

Hey kiddo, first of all, get a life.
Secondly, if you have a crush on another poster, you can message them privately.
Talk basketball on this topic. It's all of your spam here.

Hey Mr "losing batte" kiddo, when have they made you a moderator?
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#53 » by Maverick41 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 pm

What's funnier is that Maxi is averaging 1.6 ppg in the same 10 game span in 19 mpg. On 25% from the field and 12.5% from 3. Just mind boggling :lol:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,012

Post#54 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:14 am

Maverick41 wrote:

What's funnier is that Maxi is averaging 1.6 ppg in the same 10 game span in 19 mpg. On 25% from the field and 12.5% from 3. Just mind boggling
Maxi and Powell are a thing of the past.
I appreciate the effort they gave us but there's no reason for them to be on the court. We're slowly able to weed out the talent we've needed to move on from. These guys are like the negative anchor that Erick Dampier was.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,953

Post#55 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:45 am

HMFFL wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

What's funnier is that Maxi is averaging 1.6 ppg in the same 10 game span in 19 mpg. On 25% from the field and 12.5% from 3. Just mind boggling
Maxi and Powell are a thing of the past.
I appreciate the effort they gave us but there's no reason for them to be on the court. We're slowly able to weed out the talent we've needed to move on from. These guys are like the negative anchor that Erick Dampier was.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Please send an email to the Mavs front office because they still think Maxi is crucial to the structure of the team.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:29 am

Holmes 6+16 and W against Sabonis... Here he was a DNP guy with Powell starter :lol: :lol: :lol:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,988

Post#57 » by Archx » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:53 pm

Gafford and PJ completely changed the team.

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:44 pm

Archx wrote:Gafford and PJ completely changed the team.

Give some credit to PJ too... And he can't shoot right now :banghead:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,988

Post#59 » by Archx » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:18 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Give some credit to PJ too... And he can't shoot right now :banghead:

Well.. i did say Gaff and PJ :D
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:46 am

Archx wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Give some credit to PJ too... And he can't shoot right now :banghead:

Well.. i did say Gaff and PJ :D

My fault :oops:

Return to Dallas Mavericks