ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Grizzlies (Oct 30)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Grizzlies (Oct 30) 

Post#101 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:14 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:A win is a win so happy for it, especially against a team full of jerks like the Grizz. But man, this D still needs a lot of work, Kyrie already out is annoying/concerning, and Kidd is just awful

With nothing to go off of but intuition, I bet this was just load management for Kyrie against a weak opponent. The fact that he was ultimately a GTD after the "sprain" happened leads me to assume this isnt that worrisome going forward and that theyre just being cautious with a valuable player who has missed several games in the past few seasons

That very well could be. One thing though is with him out, you'd think at least the defense would be much improved. But it was just as bad, if not worse. Josh Green really isn't the defender many of his supporters claim he is.

I never really understood the Josh Green hype other than him just being young. Derrick Jones showed yesterday why he is the starter and should remain as such. But youre right, I wouldve hoped for a better all-around defensive effort as well. I guess thats just going to have to be an area of focus when Nico makes trade calls around the league this year.... Also wouldnt surprise me if we end up signing Danny Green's old ass off waivers
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,072

Post#102 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:18 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
With nothing to go off of but intuition, I bet this was just load management for Kyrie against a weak opponent. The fact that he was ultimately a GTD after the "sprain" happened leads me to assume this isnt that worrisome going forward and that theyre just being cautious with a valuable player who has missed several games in the past few seasons

That very well could be. One thing though is with him out, you'd think at least the defense would be much improved. But it was just as bad, if not worse. Josh Green really isn't the defender many of his supporters claim he is.

I never really understood the Josh Green hype other than him just being young. Derrick Jones showed yesterday why he is the starter and should remain as such. But youre right, I wouldve hoped for a better all-around defensive effort as well. I guess thats just going to have to be an area of focus when Nico makes trade calls around the league this year.... Also wouldnt surprise me if we end up signing Danny Green's old ass off waivers

Exactly, its like some have the same "dig your heels in" outlook our FO has. Drafting Josh Green ahead of several of the guys he was taken ahead of was a mistake, yet the FO and many fans wont acknowledge it and insist Green is this athletic beast who can be a defensive game changer and that his recent extension was a great deal.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,615

Post#103 » by Mavrelous » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:21 pm

Green has very quick feet, his problem is understanding the screens and better wisdom on calculating the space to the defender and biting on pump fakes, he needs reps, watching film of his defensive assignments and confidence, Bullock for example had all the latter, but wasn't really quick enough.
This team isn't good at switch all defense, Bullock/DFS (along with very switchable centers in Powell and Kleber) made this a good switching team, but now, too many mistakes lead to open layups, this was also the case last year before the trade BTW, they need to play drop, with Lively and Green/Grant Williams/DJJ fighting screens better, but it'll take time to get there.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#104 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:39 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Exactly, its like some have the same "dig your heels in" outlook our FO has. Drafting Josh Green ahead of several of the guys he was taken ahead of was a mistake, yet the FO and many fans wont acknowledge it and insist Green is this athletic beast who can be a defensive game changer and that his recent extension was a great deal.

I dont even mind Green or the extension... What I cannot stand his decision making on offense though. He plays with some of the lowest confidence I have ever seen. I dont really even think about the 2020 draft anymore though and how badly the Mavs FO sh** the bed that night with Green and Terry, since Haralabob and Donnie have both been sacked since. Still though, I do think Green is of better use to the Mavs as a trade piece than as a building block
FIRE JASON KIDD
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#105 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:43 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Green has very quick feet, his problem is understanding the screens and better wisdom on calculating the space to the defender and biting on pump fakes, he needs reps, watching film of his defensive assignments and confidence, Bullock for example had all the latter, but wasn't really quick enough.
This team isn't good at switch all defense, Bullock/DFS (along with very switchable centers in Powell and Kleber) made this a good switching team, but now, too many mistakes lead to open layups, this was also the case last year before the trade BTW, they need to play drop, with Lively and Green/Grant Williams/DJJ fighting screens better, but it'll take time to get there.

Even worse than his lapses on defense are his stupid mistakes on offense. Countless times throughout his career so far he just goes up with the ball without a plan, and ultimately ends up making the wrong decision 9/10 times. I wish Kidd had any balls whatsoever and would just plant him on the bench after he does stupid stuff like that so he would learn, but alas.

Whats really a shame is that OMax is nowhere near ready to be an NBA rotation player, otherwise we wouldnt even need Josh around
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#106 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:47 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

I dont even mind Green or the extension... What I cannot stand his decision making on offense though. He plays with some of the lowest confidence I have ever seen. I dont really even think about the 2020 draft anymore though and how badly the Mavs FO sh** the bed that night with Green and Terry, since Haralabob and Donnie have both been sacked since. Still though, I do think Green is of better use to the Mavs as a trade piece than as a building block

But can we even trade him now that he is extended? Wasn't that the reason they didn't extend Brunson once upon a time. I agree he'd best be used as a trade chip, just not sure if we have that option now under the CBA.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,600

Post#107 » by Bob8 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:51 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Green has very quick feet, his problem is understanding the screens and better wisdom on calculating the space to the defender and biting on pump fakes, he needs reps, watching film of his defensive assignments and confidence, Bullock for example had all the latter, but wasn't really quick enough.

Even worse than his lapses on defense are his stupid mistakes on offense. Countless times throughout his career so far he just goes up with the ball without a plan, and ultimately ends up making the wrong decision 9/10 times. I wish Kidd had any balls whatsoever and would just plant him on the bench after he does stupid stuff like that so he would learn, but alas.

Whats really a shame is that OMax is nowhere near ready to be an NBA rotation player, otherwise we wouldnt even need Josh around

Green is not a hooper, he's just an athlete, who's accidentally became basketball player. There's nothing instinctively about his game, that's why many of his decisions is and will be wrong in the future. On the positive note, he showed that he's capable of learning by becoming decent corner 3 shooter, so I guess he will gradually improve in some other areas too.
Dan1970
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#108 » by Dan1970 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:53 pm

The Grant Williams transaction was a steal. Jones is also looking solid. This team has a lot of talent if they can get the pieces to fit. Can Kyrie and Luka co-exist is still the question.

My big disappointment so far is Curry. He looks done.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#109 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:55 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

But can we even trade him now that he is extended? Wasn't that the reason they didn't extend Brunson once upon a time. I agree he'd best be used as a trade chip, just not sure if we have that option now under the CBA.

Not until next summer, but unless things dramatically change by then, I still think thats the best plan. With Holmes and Hardaway set to expire, Josh becoming trade eligible, and (assuming the pick conveys to NYK this year) multiple FRPs at our disposal, Mavs could make some major moves for a 3rd star or more
FIRE JASON KIDD
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,600

Post#110 » by Bob8 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:04 pm

Dan1970 wrote:The Grant Williams transaction was a steal. Jones is also looking solid. This team has a lot of talent if they can get the pieces to fit. Can Kyrie and Luka co-exist is still the question.

It's a bit early to say anything about Jones. He needs to hit 3s to be a starter. He did that fantastically yesterday, but his shot doesn't look that good. Imho it was more a fluke than anything else.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#111 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:09 pm

Dan1970 wrote:The Grant Williams transaction was a steal. Jones is also looking solid. This team has a lot of talent if they can get the pieces to fit. Can Kyrie and Luka co-exist is still the question.

I really like Grant WIlliams and targeting him was the right move. But hard to say steal when they gave up an unprotected first swap to a hated rival nonetheless. I'm happy we got Grant if thats the cost of doing business so be it, but Nico is a terrible negotiator so not sure it was. I mean this is the guy that added a 2nd to the horrible KP trade to Washington while also taking on Bertans.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,877

Post#112 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:44 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

Omax is a 3/4, Josh plays 1-3, especially defensively he often guards the opponents 1. This is a bizarre statement.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#113 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:48 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Omax is a 3/4, Josh plays 1-3, especially defensively he often guards the opponents 1. This is a bizarre statement.

Not really. Theyre both SFs on this team.
FIRE JASON KIDD
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#114 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:22 pm

Grant was clearly a steal, he is the tough guy that we need.

Josh is playing well, he does a lot of good things.
He brings energy from the bench, the problem is his size. He is too short unfortunately.
DJJ plays because his size but he can't rebound and it's a big problem for us.

We need a DJJ who can shoots well from 3 (every game, not 1 of 5) and rebound. Not easy to find.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,167

Post#115 » by BeiBeau » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:06 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I bet someone is playing a drinking game these days and takes a shot every time BeiBau writes "Mavs fan" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its better then spamming every comment with emojis whenever you run out of incorrect things to say.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#116 » by BeiBeau » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:09 pm

Bob8 wrote:Powell clearly better than Kleber and Hardy looking to be pretty useless in this roster with so many guards.

You should be careful about pointing out this obvious basic fact or the people on this board who know nothing about the sport are gonna spam your reply’s with “Powell lover” and “ :lol:
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#117 » by BeiBeau » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:16 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

“I don’t even mind Green”

That’s a bold faced lie. We have all seen every comment you’ve made about green for the last 3 years. If you’re coming around on him then admit that you were a hater and we can move on. But we’re not gonna pretend that you’ve always been close to neutral when you’ve been an irrational hater.

“I don’t even really think about the 2020 draft anymore”

My guy do not make me pull up your comments about Maxey, Bane, and McDaniels from like a week ago. We know you’re a green hater. But don’t also be a liar.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#118 » by BeiBeau » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:20 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:A win is a win so happy for it, especially against a team full of jerks like the Grizz. But man, this D still needs a lot of work, Kyrie already out is annoying/concerning, and Kidd is just awful

I agree. He might have some tweaks or soreness just from playing the sport every game. But I feel pretty confident that this is just load management. Which im fine with because we won the game.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#119 » by dirkforpres » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:26 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

“I don’t even mind Green”

That’s a bold faced lie. We have all seen every comment you’ve made about green for the last 3 years. If you’re coming around on him then admit that you were a hater and we can move on. But we’re not gonna pretend that you’ve always been close to neutral when you’ve been an irrational hater.

“I don’t even really think about the 2020 draft anymore”

My guy do not make me pull up your comments about Maxey, Bane, and McDaniels from like a week ago. We know you’re a green hater. But don’t also be a liar.

My opinion of Josh is about the same as my opinion of Dwight Powell. In small doses off the bench, he is a solid contributor. As a starter, hes a trainwreck. Maybe instead you should just stop being such a homer and try actually watching him play. Way too many boneheaded mistakes and not at all the lockdown defender that so many on here tried to claim he was.

And lol at trying to shade my 2020 draft analysis. Theres not a single logical person that would ever take Green over superior prospects like Maxey, Bane, or McDaniels. Only idiots like Haralobob, Donnie, and apparently you are irresponsible enough to do something like that.
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#120 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:51 pm

Are the mods going to do something about this zero contribution poster BeiBeau?

Sure we can ignore him, already have him on there so the only reason he's even relevant is when others quote him, but he has never once nor will he ever add value to this forum. All he does is try to stir things up to get attention because he doesnt have any friends and an imaginary wife who he constantly goes on vacation with yet somehow still finds time to post.

Return to Dallas Mavericks