RealGM
And1: 3,072

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Bulls (Nov 1) 

Post#121 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:33 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
kacey ring wrote:Great game!!

What I liked:
-Lively with an all around game. 6 assists?! 7 OREBs!
-DJJ being active again and maintaining confidence in his shot after missing some early.
-Gdub raining threes again!

What I disliked:
-Luka had some head scratchers. Maybe fatigue. Bulls defensive game plan was solid against him.
-I don’t feel like Josh is attacking the rim/defense and like he’s capable of.
-Hardy only getting 14 mins with Irving out. I think he’s on the cusp of taking Curry’s mins.

Agree with a lot of this. Lively has heart and making a solid contribution early, that's prom ising. Don't want to get too excited, but its nice to see. G-Will is the kind of player every team wants and needs, he's important here.

I dont need to bring up the negative, we know who it is, the guy got his guaranteed money and now is playing like eh did his rookie year. And no, I'm not talking about Ky, because his rookie year was fine.

Agree with the first half.

But tell me how much did it upset you when your favourite player hit a clutch 3 with under a minute left? To be fair this was one of his **** performances in recent years but still came through when it mattered.

But you have to ask yourself, would a clutch 3 been needed if he didnt play like horse manure throughout the entirety of the game? He's played like crap what 88-90% of his career, so why does he keep getting the benefit of the doubt?

I'll take and cheer a win all day everyday, no matter who's responsible for it.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,638

Post#122 » by Dirk » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:33 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
Dirk wrote:Lively dishing.

That's the same video from earlier post...

I apologise for my oversight. Corrected.
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,638

Post#123 » by Dirk » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:35 pm

I am setting up a donation page for Kyrie to get a new shirt. He's fallen on hard times.

60/21/10
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#124 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:36 pm

Love it
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,614

Post#125 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:04 pm

Dirk wrote:I am setting up a donation page for Kyrie to get a new shirt. He's fallen on hard times.

Maybe we should buy him Mavs jersey. :roll:
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,101

Post#126 » by Archx » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:38 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Agree with a lot of this. Lively has heart and making a solid contribution early, that's prom ising. Don't want to get too excited, but its nice to see. G-Will is the kind of player every team wants and needs, he's important here.

I dont need to bring up the negative, we know who it is, the guy got his guaranteed money and now is playing like eh did his rookie year. And no, I'm not talking about Ky, because his rookie year was fine.

Agree with the first half.

But tell me how much did it upset you when your favourite player hit a clutch 3 with under a minute left? To be fair this was one of his **** performances in recent years but still came through when it mattered.

But you have to ask yourself, would a clutch 3 been needed if he didnt play like horse manure throughout the entirety of the game? He's played like crap what 88-90% of his career, so why does he keep getting the benefit of the doubt?

Mavs are +14.2 pts per 100 poss better when Green is on the floor. 2nd highest on the team :o

The best and most played 5-man lineup (with significant minutes) so far was L. Dončić | J. Green | D. Jones | D. Lively | G. Williams +28.2 pts.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#127 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:40 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:Agree with the first half.

Mavs are +14.2 pts per 100 poss better when Green is on the floor. 2nd highest on the team :o

Always throwing meaningless stats without context to win an argument. There's no defending Green this season, he's been crap, especially yesterday.
Archx
RealGM

Post#128 » by Archx » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:44 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Always throwing meaningless stats without context to win an argument. There's no defending Green this season, he's been crap, especially yesterday.

He made some boneheaded passes but played good defense and (again) made clutch plays. Ended with +/- plus 14. It's not a meaningless stat if Mavs are 4-0 and Green is also a huge part of this lol.... you literally can not spin it around. He's doing something right.

Is he playing the best he could? No.. Is he making mistakes? Yes. ... Is he contributing to winning basketball? Hell yes.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#129 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:48 pm

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:

He made some boneheaded passes but played good defense and (again) made clutch plays. Ended with +/- plus 14. It's not a meaningless stat if Mavs are 4-0 and Green is also a huge part of this lol.... you literally can not spin it around. He's doing something right.

Is he playing the best he could? No.. Is he making mistakes? Yes. ... Is he contributing to winning basketball? Hell yes.

I think we can definitely agree on the boneheaded part, Josh Green is a Neanderthal
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#130 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:55 pm

This is the impressive thing with Lively. Especially the second play of this video.

Last year with Mcgee, Mavs were not able to play p&r much because the opponent would double Luka and whenever Mcgee got the ball at the FT line, that play was dead. Lively can actually pass it.
Archx
RealGM

Post#131 » by Archx » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:00 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I think we can definitely agree on the boneheaded part, Josh Green is a Neanderthal

He replaced Bullock. I don't understand your negativity, i really don't. No logic or common sense at all. I'm not sure there is ANYONE here who says "damn i wish Mavs still had Bullock instead of Green"...

Bullock went from being a forced starter, who had a significant 3&D role on Mavs, to a tanking team in HOU playing 9 mpg averaging 1ppg . :-?
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#132 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:01 pm

DJJ has been solid and definitely deserves some respect and PT. We're still a healthy/committed Kyrie and a better SF away from being a contender though.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#133 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:10 pm

daoneandonly wrote:DJJ has been solid and definitely deserves some respect and PT. We're still a healthy/committed Kyrie and a better SF away from being a contender though.

I know its not possible but this team would be immensely better with Paul George type of max player instead of Kyrie.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#134 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:14 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:DJJ has been solid and definitely deserves some respect and PT. We're still a healthy/committed Kyrie and a better SF away from being a contender though.

I know its not possible but this team would be immensely better with Paul George type of max player instead of Kyrie.

I mean if he's already missing games, we may be better off with OG/Trent instead of Kyrie, and let Luka be Luka with a bunch of #3s and #4s.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#135 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:24 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

I mean if he's already missing games, we may be better off with OG/Trent instead of Kyrie, and let Luka be Luka with a bunch of #3s and #4s.

I think it's not enough to win... We need another ballhandler, Kyrie or another one...
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#136 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:41 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:I know its not possible but this team would be immensely better with Paul George type of max player instead of Kyrie.

I think it's not enough to win... We need another ballhandler, Kyrie or another one...

Yea agreed. Even in that hypotehtical, I'd trade Trent to a 3rd team for that 2nd ball handler
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#137 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:48 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yea agreed. Even in that hypotehtical, I'd trade Trent to a 3rd team for that 2nd ball handler

Frankly, we should've kept Brunson and upgrade forward spots with the picks we spent on Kyrie.

4-year max contract is scary considering Kyrie's mental health issues and physical health issues.

Grant Williams and Lively made the Mavs a playoff team again.
A guy like Kawhi or PG would make Mavs a serious contender. We would only worry about health and future years.
With Kyrie, he does not make us contender, and we still worry about his short and long-term health.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#138 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:10 pm

In a Mavs vs Bulls thread, i think its worth mentioning the trade that makes sense for both teams is some type of Irving for Lavine swap. Bulls desperatley need a lead guard, and Kyrie and Caruso fit well together. I think the 3L of Luka-Lavine-Lively with Grant can do some damage
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#139 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 8:39 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Frankly, we should've kept Brunson and upgrade forward spots with the picks we spent on Kyrie.

4-year max contract is scary considering Kyrie's mental health issues and physical health issues.

A guy like Kawhi or PG would make Mavs a serious contender. We would only worry about health and future years.
With Kyrie, he does not make us contender, and we still worry about his short and long-term health.

Keep Brunson was a must but Cuban is the smartest guy in the world so...

After that fiasco Irving was the only cheap superstar for this spot.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#140 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:40 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Keep Brunson was a must but Cuban is the smartest guy in the world so...

After that fiasco Irving was the only cheap superstar for this spot.

You're right. The problem is whether we need a small guard as a star player next to Luka, who is a great PG.
Kyrie at 4-year max contract, and all the picks might be costly in couple years.

Return to Dallas Mavericks