Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:24 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:First In-Season Tournament group B matchup

I forgot about that stupid idea from Silver
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Nuggets (Nov 3) 

Post#4 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:04 pm

This is a game that Kyrie would help. I really did not miss him in Grizzlies or Bulls games. I know both Grizzlies and Bulls would abuse him on offense while him not adding too much on offense compared to what Luka can generate against those teams.
Derozan switching on Luka is fine. But I dont want to watch Derozan or Banes switching on Kyrie.
Big lineups worked better for Mavs for both of those games.

Now against Jokic and Murray, Mavs need to capitalize their weakness to generate enough offense. I mean Mavs are not stopping Denver. Kyrie needs to capitalize on Jokic's slowness, Murray not being big enough to bother him.

Defensively focused Kyrie can do an adequate job against Murray, similar to Luka-Derozan matchup. Kyrie can also hide on KPJ, Braun etc. Defensively, more work will be on centers and forwards for this game.

I think Denver is the better team all around, its their home-game and they just dropped one. So they'll play for a win. If Mavs can stay around until late 4th quarter I like our chances with Luka to win the game.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 862

Post#5 » by kacey ring » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:19 pm

Our first true test. Hope Kyrie is ready to go.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,175

Post#6 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:19 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:This is a game that Kyrie would help. I really did not miss him in Grizzlies or Bulls games. I know both Grizzlies and Bulls would abuse him on offense while him not adding too much on offense compared to what Luka can generate against those teams.
Derozan switching on Luka is fine. But I dont want to watch Derozan or Banes switching on Kyrie.

Now against Jokic and Murray, Mavs need to capitalize their weakness to generate enough offense. I mean Mavs are not stopping Denver. Kyrie needs to capitalize on Jokic's slowness, Murray not being big enough to bother him.

Defensively focused Kyrie can do an adequate job against Murray, similar to Luka-Derozan matchup. Kyrie can also hide on KPJ, Braun etc. Defensively, more work will be on centers and forwards for this game.

I think Denver is the better team all around, its their home-game and they just dropped one. So they'll play for a win. If Mavs can stay around until late 4th quarter I like our chances with Luka to win the game.

We definitely needed Kyrie against the bulls. We made it out fine. But Luka was getting doubled and trapped hard.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,770

Post#7 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#8 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:28 pm

It'll be interesting test to Lively, not only is Jokic a master of clowning opposing bigs (watch DEN vs OKC, poor Chet), but their rim attempts don't come from drives but from cuts.
inexplicably, Mavs have fared well against Jokic in the past, we'll see this time, I've been sleep deprived all week, I may miss this one and watch later.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 6:47 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:This is a game that Kyrie would help. I really did not miss him in Grizzlies or Bulls games. I know both Grizzlies and Bulls would abuse him on offense while him not adding too much on offense compared to what Luka can generate against those teams.

We definitely needed Kyrie against the bulls. We made it out fine. But Luka was getting doubled and trapped hard.

Like I said, I would rather not have Derozan, Lavine scoring easy points on Kyrie than what he brought to offense.
Kyrie with 6-17 against Nets. He also made an open 3pt with Luka's pass. People celebrated clutch Kyrie for that 3pt shot but as we watch last night, Hardy also made the same exact shot.

Kyrie does not have a gravity on the floor like Luka, Steph etc. Since he is not a big man to contain like AD, Giannis or Lebron/Kawhi type of forward, other teams are not letting Luka off much. Against Nets, all Luka points were contested very well-guarded.
Frankly, Brookly Nets are not missing Kyrie either. Cam Thomas does what Kyrie supposed to do for much cheaper so far.

Nuggets would be an opponent where you'd expect Kyrie to create efficient shots. Lets see if he's available.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#10 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 8:41 pm

It will be a nightmare night for Jokic, Powell are waiting him.
No match for Nikola, it's best to fake and injury.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#11 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 2, 2023 9:00 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Like I said, I would rather not have Derozan, Lavine scoring easy points on Kyrie than what he brought to offense.
Kyrie with 6-17 against Nets. He also made an open 3pt with Luka's pass. People celebrated clutch Kyrie for that 3pt shot but as we watch last night, Hardy also made the same exact shot.

Kyrie does not have a gravity on the floor like Luka, Steph etc. Since he is not a big man to contain like AD, Giannis or Lebron/Kawhi type of forward, other teams are not letting Luka off much. Against Nets, all Luka points were contested very well-guarded.
Frankly, Brookly Nets are not missing Kyrie either. Cam Thomas does what Kyrie supposed to do for much cheaper so far.

Nuggets would be an opponent where you'd expect Kyrie to create efficient shots. Lets see if he's available.

There are many really bad takes on the internet but the worst one for today is that Cam Thomas can replace Kyrie Irving’s production.

Cam Thomas is scoring a lot right now. And he had some stretches last season where he scored in bunches. But he is a career 45% and 30% shooter compared to Kyrie who puts up nearly a 40-50-90 every season. Plus Kyrie creates for others and Thomas does not.

Cam Thomas is significantly closer to THJ then he is to Kyrie Irving.

Also Kyrie doesn’t guard LaVine or Derozen. He guards Coby White.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:33 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

There are many really bad takes on the internet but the worst one for today is that Cam Thomas can replace Kyrie Irving’s production.

Cam Thomas is scoring a lot right now. And he had some stretches last season where he scored in bunches. But he is a career 45% and 30% shooter compared to Kyrie who puts up nearly a 40-50-90 every season. Plus Kyrie creates for others and Thomas does not.

I really wish that you could learn to read.
'Derozan switching on Luka is fine. But I dont want to watch Derozan or Banes switching on Kyrie.'

Derozan switched on Halliburton against Indiana all of the 4th quarter and Bulls scored very easy points. Same abusement would occur on Kyrie if he played.

Read on Twitter

No one said Cam Thomas has a career that is as good as Kyrie. We'll see how his career develops. Cam Thomas is getting paid $2m whereas Kyrie getting $40m per year.
As of now, Nets not missing Kyrie's absence because Cam Thomas gave them the scoring that Kyrie was supposed to provide. Kyrie is usually injured, or mentally unavailable to play. So Nets are fine without him.
We watch Kyrie against Nets. Him making an open 3 in the 4th qt is replaced with Hardy making an open 3pt shot in Bulls game. Mavs really did not needed Kyrie last night. It would be nice to have a max player like Kawhi or PG along Luka for yesterdays game rather than Kyrie giving up tons of points and Mavs become too small.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#13 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 2, 2023 10:40 pm

Maxi hurt his pinky
Read on Twitter
?t=JdOsCZCcVNFWyZ8HUUgnLw&s=19
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#14 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 2, 2023 11:25 pm

Mavrelous wrote:It'll be interesting test to Lively, not only is Jokic a master of clowning opposing bigs (watch DEN vs OKC, poor Chet), but their rim attempts don't come from drives but from cuts.
inexplicably, Mavs have fared well against Jokic in the past, we'll see this time, I've been sleep deprived all week, I may miss this one and watch later.

I just got back from vacation on Tuesday. I worked late yesterday finishing my reports for work. And then tonight I’m grading my grad student’s homework at my 2nd job because I will be damned if I miss this game. I’m so hyped. I’m gonna go to the bar and everything instead of watching it on my computer.

Y’all better hope we don’t win or I’m gonna be obnoxious.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#15 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 2, 2023 11:41 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Like I said, I would rather not have Derozan, Lavine scoring easy points on Kyrie than what he brought to offense.

I really wish that you could learn to read.
'Derozan switching on Luka is fine. But I dont want to watch Derozan or Banes switching on Kyrie.'

Derozan switched on Halliburton against Indiana all of the 4th quarter and Bulls scored very easy points. Same abusement would occur on Kyrie if he played.

Read on Twitter

No one said Cam Thomas has a career that is as good as Kyrie. We'll see how his career develops. Cam Thomas is getting paid $2m whereas Kyrie getting $40m per year.
As of now, Nets not missing Kyrie's absence because Cam Thomas gave them the scoring that Kyrie was supposed to provide. Kyrie is usually injured, or mentally unavailable to play. So Nets are fine without him.
We watch Kyrie against Nets. Him making an open 3 in the 4th qt is replaced with Hardy making an open 3pt shot in Bulls game. Mavs really did not needed Kyrie last night. It would be nice to have a max player like Kawhi or PG along Luka for yesterdays game rather than Kyrie giving up tons of points and Mavs become too small.

I really wish you would learn about basketball. Yeah Dallas has to protect the switch but if it were that easy to “just target Kyrie” teams would permanently do it. And they do it some to be sure as he is a weak defender but he is not the complete liability to make him out to be. Dallas is always a better team when Kyrie plays. They are never better off without him. I shouldn’t have to say that but with you, you never know what’s going on.

People like you always flip the **** out over the smallest sample sizes. It’s been 4 games. He’s Kyrie Irving. He’s a 27-5-5 and constantly flirts with 40-50-90.

Sure while they’re rebuilding the nets like Cam Thomas because he has a chance to develop into something special. With out anything locked up long term. But for right now he’s a low efficiency chucker who started the season hot. It’s not like we’ve never seen this before he had a hot streak for 40+ point games last season too, and still averaged 10ppg. I think we will see improvement there but let’s not be stupid, any team who wants to win in the playoffs would rather give the ball to Kyrie for 40m then to cam Thomas for 2m. And it’s really not close. Good scores are a dime a dozen. Great scorers are a different breed.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#16 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 2:26 pm

In facing a big team in DEN, it may be time to finally see some on-court time from Omax and Holmes, especially if Maxi is hurt and need to miss game.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,088

Post#17 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:30 pm

A test for sure. Nuggets are as stacked and cohesive as you can get, champs for a reason. Let Lively learn and don't yank him willly nilly, this experience will only help him. Hopefully Kyrie plays and its a fun game, with a win.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,131

Post#18 » by Archx » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:48 pm

Zach LaVine against DJJ (2 PTS, 1/6 FG. 0/3 3PT) | Zach LaVine against everyone else (20 PTS, 6/11 FG, 5/6 3PT, 3/3 FT).

I hope DJJ will continue to play at least effective defense, even if his offense is not sustainable.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,088

Post#19 » by daoneandonly » Fri Nov 3, 2023 3:58 pm

Archx wrote:Zach LaVine against DJJ (2 PTS, 1/6 FG. 0/3 3PT) | Zach LaVine against everyone else (20 PTS, 6/11 FG, 5/6 3PT, 3/3 FT).

I hope DJJ will continue to play at least effective defense, even if his offense is not sustainable.

Not to derail, but we know who is a big part of that everyone else.

ANd yeah, props to DJJ for what he's contributed thus far
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,887

Post#20 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:42 pm

No Kidd tonight so we'll finally win a coach's challenge.
Kyrie is questionable.

Return to Dallas Mavericks