ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Nuggets (Nov 3)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,862

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Nuggets (Nov 3) 

Post#161 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:28 pm

We didn't play bad defense at all (they were 6/6 from 3 in the first quarter. Ouch).

Josh and Grant were great... Irving too (4 steals and 2 blocks), Luka and DJJ decent.

The problem is in the middle of course, Lively is just a kid.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 832

Post#162 » by Darren » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:30 pm

Nothing new but noteworthy :
1. Lively struggle against perimeter oriented players
2. Grant William can't stick with bigger but significantly quicker players
3. When Luka and Kyrie play together, it's difficult to find a right balance to play well on both end.
4. The regress / injury concerns come up huge

Those issues couldn't be overcome. The rooms for errors are slim. Denver is too big and too versatile for the Mavs to match up with. Even with a ready OMax, problems remain.
Darren
RealGM

Post#163 » by Darren » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:31 pm

The Mavs need top notch defender rather badly. I wonder if Kawhi is available at some point.
Darren
RealGM

Post#164 » by Darren » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:33 pm

As expected, the Mavs struggle mightily on board. And the depth doesn't truimph over quality of players on the whole.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,933

Post#165 » by arkuo » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:21 pm

kacey ring wrote:Interesting quote from Luka, but I agree with him:

“There’s a lot of positive things to look at," Doncic said. “What lost us the game is my turnovers and offensive rhythm. I think if this was last year we would've lost by 30.”

Agree. Tonight was just a case of competing against a better team. Better team just won, but doesn't mean Dallas has a bad product on the court.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,936

Post#166 » by Mavrelous » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:44 pm

Guys, OKC is a good team, and SGA is a top 10 player, and DEN mopped the floor with them in OKC, while Jokic doing the same to Chet, when they're on, they are unstoppable, especially by small teams.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#167 » by Mavrelous » Sat Nov 4, 2023 1:58 pm

I want to see more full court pressure from Green, he playes 25 MPG and can exert more effort in these minutes.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,650

Post#168 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:38 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Guys, OKC is a good team, and SGA is a top 10 player, and DEN mopped the floor with them in OKC, while Jokic doing the same to Chet, when they're on, they are unstoppable, especially by small teams.

The big question is, how realistic is Mavs 3pts %? Far the best in 3pts made and 3rd in %.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#169 » by Mavrelous » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:55 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Guys, OKC is a good team, and SGA is a top 10 player, and DEN mopped the floor with them in OKC, while Jokic doing the same to Chet, when they're on, they are unstoppable, especially by small teams.

The big question is how realistic is Mavs 3pts %? Far the best in 3pts made and 3rd in %.

We'll see...
Grant is getting high quality looks, what Bullock used to get, and he's a better shooter, DJJ isn't shooting that great, 36 vs career average of 30، Luka is the wild card.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 709

Post#170 » by BliscoSantos » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:23 pm

Only saw the first half then went to sleep...why didn't Exum play?

Have a question about a trade...would you do(and would the Knicks be interested) a trade for Randle,Fournier,by giving up Hardaway,Kleber and Holmes??
Randle's been poor,Fournier rides the bench ,but I don't think there's a big difference in Fournier and Hardaway and I think Randle could work with Luka and Kai...Grant would Play the SF
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,650

Post#171 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:36 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:Only saw the first half then went to sleep...why didn't Exum play?

Have a question about a trade...would you do(and would the Knicks be interested) a trade for Randle,Fournier,by giving up Hardaway,Kleber and Holmes??
Randle's been poor,Fournier rides the bench ,but I don't think there's a big difference in Fournier and Hardaway and I think Randle could work with Luka and Kai...Grant would Play the SF

THJ is playing the best basketball of his career and Mavs don't need Randle. Mavs need defensive wing and big, which we won't get for THJ.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#172 » by BliscoSantos » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:56 pm

Bob8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:Only saw the first half then went to sleep...why didn't Exum play?

THJ is playing the best basketball of his career and Mavs don't need Randle. Mavs need defensive wing and big, which we won't get for THJ.

Well that's the problem...you won't get what you need for THJ,Kleber and Holmes...Mavs Just don't have the assets...Timmy's been balling ,but is it sustainable? We'll see what their plans are,but a good wing like OG,Mikal are pipe dreams and they've been searching for a C forever
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#173 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:57 pm

Bob8 wrote:

I don't like too much THJ but he is playing very well this season 18points and 40% from 3.

We have 42 points from the bench (3th in NBA).
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#174 » by ejs78 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:02 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Denver is a no match for us right now, too big and too exp.

Luka, Kyrie,Grant and Josh fought well. Great game by them.

We still need a starting C, Lively is too young and light.

Like i said million times Powell is unplayble in real games, he can only plays garbage time in garbage games. He simply sucks at basketball.
Everybody shoots over his t-rex arms, worst C of the league this year too.
No funny post by beibau or ejs78 on this argument from a week. Strange.

More games and less box scores buddies :wink:
Hey old friend.

Please go find a post where I have said Powell is the answer at the 5. We all can acknowledge when he plays good but that doesn't mean we think he's a solution

I believe my last posts on him were along the lines of:

Thinking it was unreal he made a 3, saying I didn't want to see him on the court again, and laughing at the fact he somehow blocked JJJ 2x.

But here were are again with you just making stuff up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#175 » by Archx » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:07 pm

Sounds crazy but i would like to see a coaching change before any trades. Unfortunately that won't happen because Kidd will repeatedly get bailed out by a healthy Doncic and better supporting cast.

Sweeney has been overmatched last night. He's worse than Kidd and has no balls playing together stronger lineups for longer minutes. Kidd at least has shown he's willing to experiment to some extend and sometimes he's lucky with it. (Bulls game).

Kyrie is the worst and best thing that happened to Mavs in recent years. Much needed star support but on the other hand, he's actually the wrong star for this team. At least until Kidd figures out how to make it work. You can't have THJ, Hardy and Kyrie on the floor at the same time and let everyone but Kyrie attack and create, makes no sense. It also makes no sense that DJJ plays same minutes as Powell.

So far, coaching staff are all over the place with their experiments, it's like they're throwing dirt at the wall and they're hoping something will stick.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#176 » by BliscoSantos » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:07 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I don't like too much THJ but he is playing very well this season 18points and 40% from 3.

I agree he's been good,but I Just don't see that much of a drop off if the Mavs would replace him with Fournier(and getting Randle in the Mix)...Fournier is bigger,good shooter,can playmake better,D is the same...Randle would get more easy baskets with Luka...as much as I Love Jalen Brunson,he's not on the same level as Luka as a playmaker ..he's a great iso Player(scorer) but Luka is a lot better at getting other Players easy baskets...Luka,Kai,Grant,Randle,Lively would be fun, with Exum,Hardy,Green, Powell,Curry on the bench

I'm Just saying I'd do it for Holmes,Maxi and Hardaway...I Just Don't think you could get more for these Players...but hey,maybe Nico has an ace up his sleeve...who knows
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#177 » by Archx » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:14 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I don't like too much THJ but he is playing very well this season 18points and 40% from 3.

As much as i hate his playing IQ, he's a much needed spark off the bench. Mavs actually can't afford to lose him right now... Or at least until Hardy makes a higher leap. I thought he's going to be more ready but he's probably even more erratic than THJ lol.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#178 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:17 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I agree he's been good,but I Just don't see that much of a drop off if the Mavs would replace him with Fournier(and getting Randle in the Mix)...Fournier is bigger,good shooter,can playmake better,D is the same...Randle would get more easy baskets with Luka...as much as I Love Jalen Brunson,he's not on the same level as Luka as a playmaker ..he's a great iso Player(scorer) but Luka is a lot better at getting other Players easy baskets...Luka,Kai,Grant,Randle,Lively would be fun, with Exum,Hardy,Green, Powell,Curry on the bench

I'm Just saying I'd do it for Holmes,Maxi and Hardaway...I Just I Don't think you could get more for these Players...but hey,maybe Nico has an ace up his sledeče...who knows

I don't think it change the situation, no C and no big rebounding wing who are our big problems (at least until Lively will be a real starting C).

Our FO answer for the rebound problems was resign Maxi Kleber and Dwight scrub Powell...an announced failure.
But some posters here are happy and ironic about that so it's good. We deserve this situation.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,220

Post#179 » by BeiBeau » Sun Nov 5, 2023 1:24 am

arkuo wrote:
kacey ring wrote:Interesting quote from Luka, but I agree with him:

“There’s a lot of positive things to look at," Doncic said. “What lost us the game is my turnovers and offensive rhythm. I think if this was last year we would've lost by 30.”

Agree. Tonight was just a case of competing against a better team. Better team just won, but doesn't mean Dallas has a bad product on the court.

It can be encouraging that I think Dallas played like complete and total **** all game and still had the best team in the world down to a 8 point lead in the 4th at one point.

When Luka and Kyrie can back on. Lively has developed for a season and adjusted to the size. Dallas could really compete.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,220

Post#180 » by BeiBeau » Sun Nov 5, 2023 1:30 am

What would be the cost be for Dallas to go after Isaiah Hartenstein’s expiring?

As much as 41Dirk41 doesn’t know anything about the sport of basketball. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Powell is fine in the switch defense and against smaller line ups. Embiid and Jokic at the 2 best centers in the league and both of them are absolutely massive human beings.

Return to Dallas Mavericks