ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Hornets (Nov 5)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dmavs12
Sophomore
And1: 92

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Hornets (Nov 5) 

Post#41 » by Dmavs12 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:18 am

Are any of us really surprised how this season has gone so far? It’s the same team as last year. The difference is the front court. Grant Williams is earning every bit of that contract, and lively already looks like legit starter. Last years team would be 0-6. Those 2 in the front court are the reason this team is where it’s at.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 862

Post#42 » by kacey ring » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:20 am

A win is a win.

I was surprised Luka didn’t get pulled when he was limping around. Seems like he should be sitting out tomorrow. Prob see THJ get a start.

That Lively block, GWill bombing threes, and the Hardy hammer were pretty sweet.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,175

Post#43 » by BeiBeau » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:21 am

1. A lot of wins are difficult in a league with parity. Especially when you’re the 2nd best 3pt shooting team in the league and you shoot 33%. Dallas is still in a top 3 position in the west.

2. I saw a few moments where Green, Luka, and Grant were putting a body on Mark Williams when Lively and Powell were contesting a shot. They have to keep doing that. It is the biggest reason we lost to Denver.

3. Powell and Hardy were huge off the bench. The fact that the starters could rest for most of the third and the bench closed the gap made a massive difference.

4. Hardy is going the make Tim obsolete. He has a better shot tree, is somehow less erratic, and can put the ball on the floor.

5. Luka needs to get healthy, cut down these turn overs, and watch the techs.

6. Lively is good at basketball and is a NBA starting caliber center right now. But Mark Williams is clearly about 10-15 pounds heavier then him and I want Lively to put on that much weight over the course of the next year.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#44 » by BeiBeau » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:23 am

Dmavs12 wrote:Are any of us really surprised how this season has gone so far? It’s the same team as last year. The difference is the front court. Grant Williams is earning every bit of that contract, and lively already looks like legit starter. Last years team would be 0-6. Those 2 in the front court are the reason this team is where it’s at.

Luka and Kyrie have also not been massive negatives on defense. But yeah, adding 2 dudes like Lively and Williams moves everyone down a peg on the depth chart and make for a much better team.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,803

Post#45 » by Mavrelous » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:24 am

Dmavs12 wrote:Are any of us really surprised how this season has gone so far? It’s the same team as last year. The difference is the front court. Grant Williams is earning every bit of that contract, and lively already looks like legit starter. Last years team would be 0-6. Those 2 in the front court are the reason this team is where it’s at.

Luka has regressed a lot since Chicago, Kyrie started very bad, and still isn't himself, that's the main surprise. also very cold shooting 1st 3 qtrs by everyone.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,543

Post#46 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:24 am

Such a frustrating game but thankfully we still won.

Lively really stepped up and outdueled Mark Williams, whom most would probably have as a better C. Grant also is continuing to hit big shots and hit 3s at a very high rate. He's easily outplaying his contract right now.

On the other hand, I need more from Luka and Kyrie. 2nd half was better but we need these guys to be better. There's just way too many times where it's obvious that they're driving to pass. Especially Kyrie who seems very intent on being a tablesetter PG. I remember Dinwiddie tending to do that too whenever he was the lone PG on the court. Or like BeiBeau mentioned in the previous game-thread, too many slow PnRs. Or PnRs where the full intention is to just seek a mis-match. Where's the mix up? Go down hill from time to time. Drive strong and put more pressure on the defense.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#47 » by BeiBeau » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:34 am

Maverick41 wrote:Such a frustrating game but thankfully we still won.

Lively really stepped up and outdueled Mark Williams, whom most would probably have as a better C. Grant also is continuing to hit big shots and hit 3s at a very high rate. He's easily outplaying his contract right now.

On the other hand, I need more from Luka and Kyrie. 2nd half was better but we need these guys to be better. There's just way too many times where it's obvious that they're driving to pass. Especially Kyrie who seems very intent on being a tablesetter PG. I remember Dinwiddie tending to do that too whenever he was the lone PG on the court. Or like BeiBeau mentioned in the previous game-thread, too many slow PnRs. Or PnRs where the full intention is to just seek a mis-match. Where's the mix up? Go down hill from time to time. Drive strong and put more pressure on the defense.

Yeah a lot of times we’re just picking to pick. Dallas finally got in the paint in the 2nd half but it needs to be a mix of both.

Run the Spain pick and roll. Luka at the top, Grant screens for Luka and pops, lively screens for Grant and rolls, and DJJ or Green screen for Kyrie off ball in the opposite corner.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,147

Post#48 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:01 am

Kyrie is lackluster, even against the Hornets. Kyrie's standard is being disappointing in any important game anyway. But he also let tons of points, rebounds for the other team. Kyrie is the opposite of a winning-mentality for a team to have for MAX contract. Kyrie being a little better than Hardy or THJ really does not justify his salary or what Mavs traded for. I hope he can get back to a better level so perhaps Mavs would be able to trade him off for better return.

Mavs team would be perfectly fine without Kyrie. Kyrie **** up Luka-offense fluidity too too many times until the 4th quarter. When Kyrie is on the court, you can expect other team getting offensive rebounds every other play. Opponent teams are getting relief on their offense thanks to having Kyrie mismatch.
I am glad Kyrie did not play against Bulls or Grizzlies. But really disappointed in how things are going with him. He would a nice 6th man for sure, but not a max-contracted star player.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,543

Post#49 » by Maverick41 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:16 am

I don't disagree with the Kyrie mismatch being a problem on our D but a very big reason for that is the need for Kidd to constantly want to switch every dang ball screen. Do I think switching works? Absolutely. I just think it's done excessively to the point where it's easily able to manipulated by opposing offenses. Too many times we saw Kyrie matched up with Mark Williams in the paint.

Why even switch against CHA anyway? Their best shooter and fastest trigger in Rozier isn't even playing and does anyone else in that team really have such a good shot that we're afraid of giving them a daylight of space? Play man to man. Navigate and fight through screens. Can't be a 1 trick pony on offense AND defense.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,159

Post#50 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:31 am

GermanFan120 wrote:I don't know about you guys, every single penny we paid to get GW has been proven worthy to me.
It certainly has.
My only concern signing him was that our coaching staff better give him minutes and shot attempts or he can become a negative. It fills a need on any team in the league and I expect him to have a long career.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 708

Post#51 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:47 am

Looks like the only difference from last season is that the Mavs are closing the games better...but the games are close(they strugle) or they lose comfortably... they're still mostly reliant on the 3 Point shot and Luka and Kai ISO...apart from Denver they had a pretty easy schedule,yet they strugled against every opponent...after the hot start Luka's been strugling and Kyrie has yet to find his game...and Kidd, I Just don't have any confidence in his coaching ability...Just cause he's a Mavs legend(their Guy), doesn't mean he's the right coach for this team
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#52 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:51 am

GermanFan120 wrote:I don't know about you guys, every single penny we paid to get GW has been proven worthy to me.

Grant is our best sign since Tyson Chandler probably, he is the right guy to put around Luka.

I hope Josh will become another one, he has great flashes. But it's not enough, it needs to be more constant.

Not a brilliant W but still a W, at the half i was thinking "oh well, this is a classic Mavs lose against bad team" :lol:

I'm just sorry that these victories only distance Kidd's dismissal but we are not contender anyway this year.
We need time to fix all Cuban **** past years.

A 19yo kid changed our world after years of mediocre Cs, he needs to improve a lot for being an X-Factor but this a damn good start.

The team chemistry will improves for sure, the season is just started but win games help.

Powell is a good volleyball player but this is basket, that's the problem... Fortunately for him scrub teams like Hornets exist.
But watching him is always funny, he tries hard :lol:

A lot of teams had problems, at the TDL we can make some huge bargain. Stay tuned Nico.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#53 » by BeiBeau » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:07 am

BliscoSantos wrote:Looks like the only difference from last season is that the Mavs are closing the games better...but the games are close(they strugle) or they lose comfortably... they're still mostly reliant on the 3 Point shot and Luka and Kai ISO...apart from Denver they had a pretty easy schedule,yet they strugled against every opponent...after the hot start Luka's been strugling and Kyrie has yet to find his game...and Kidd, I Just don't have any confidence in his coaching ability...Just cause he's a Mavs legend(their Guy), doesn't mean he's the right coach for this team

Yeah we need to open games better so we dont have to constantly have to win in the 2nd half. I'm ready for us to crush a team so that we can see OMax play.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,932

Post#54 » by arkuo » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:36 am

If everything went as planned, it would have been Thybulle starting at SF too.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,887

Post#55 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 9:44 am

arkuo wrote:

If everything went as planned, it would have been Thybulle starting at SF too.

And thank god he isn't. I was keen on him but not at 11m pa and his numbers so far are 4ppg, 0.7reb, 0.7ast, 0.5 stls, 0.5 blk and 41% FG and 32% from 3... of course you change that from a losing team to getting wide open 3pt attempts courtesy of Luka and Ky and it's probably a hell of a lot better but still. Good to not have 11m tied up in him.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,887

Post#56 » by dirkules_41 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 9:47 am

Mavrelous wrote:

Luka has regressed a lot since Chicago, Kyrie started very bad, and still isn't himself, that's the main surprise. also very cold shooting 1st 3 qtrs by everyone.

How does one regress over 2 out of 6 games so far? Seems a bit of a strong word haha.
He has struggled a bit would be a fair description imo.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,730

Post#57 » by Dirk » Mon Nov 6, 2023 11:04 am

This game did make it feel like it could be a lonnnnnnnnnng season. But yeah, this would have been a bad double digit loss last season. Somehow they managed to hang around and survive that Ball onslaught.

Powelll doing his thing

Classic Hardaway

60/21/10
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,631

Post#58 » by Bob8 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 11:57 am

We're starting exaggerating last year's performance. We were 26/29 last year in cluch games, which is bad, but didn't exactly lose every game. And disaster happened mostly after all star break. We were 2 games up 0.500 before all star break, in 6th place.

Return to Dallas Mavericks