ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Wizards (Tonight. 7:00 PM ET)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,876

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Wizards (Tonight. 7:00 PM ET) 

Post#61 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:12 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:The main difference between those 2 is that Exum is looking for his shot whereas Josh is almost avoiding it and pretty much only taking corner 3s. Quite different to last years version. He seems to be more focused on just swinging the ball on to the next guy unless he's spotted up for a corner 3.

The main differences are in fundamentals. Exum plays like Pg, always in control and composed, can be used as ball handler in half court situations and is capable of pretty solid drives too. Josh is capable only in some open court situations and corner 3 shooting. The difference in skills between those 2 is enormous.

It sounds odd, I think we need to set some screens for Green so that he can have some straight line drive, just like what we do to create some space for THJ to shoot 3 ball, so as to boost Green's confidence a little bit. DJJ's game actually is quite similar to Green, except he is longer than Green, and DJJ obviously is having high confidence right now.

I mean offensively I'm not even bothered by his passivity as long as he keeps knocking down 3s at 40% ish. What does concern me a bit is on defense he goes under the screen a lot more often this year than in the past. Last night Exum managed to squeeze past the screener a few times where Josh would not. Maybe the long summer wasn't great for him... not sure. He played a lot more minutes for OZ than Exum did.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,606

Post#62 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:54 pm

We need to start a conversation about THJ, after Brooklyn game he drove me mad, since then, he's recognizing he's the only willing gun out there and is bailing out the offense in non Luka minutes, he does have his ill advised drives and fast breaks but his jumper is looking as good as it ever was...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,071

Post#63 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:57 pm

Mavrelous wrote:We need to start a conversation about THJ, after Brooklyn game he drove me mad, since then, he's recognizing he's the only willing gun out there and is bailing out the offense in non Luka minutes, he does have his ill advised drives and fast breaks but his jumper is looking as good as it ever was...

Just dont want to jinx it. I live in the DC area so when I watched yesterday the Wiz announcers kept talking about how great a shooter he is and was shooting 100% from the FT line, then he kept missing :)
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,596

Post#64 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:33 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:The main difference between those 2 is that Exum is looking for his shot whereas Josh is almost avoiding it and pretty much only taking corner 3s. Quite different to last years version. He seems to be more focused on just swinging the ball on to the next guy unless he's spotted up for a corner 3.

The main differences are in fundamentals. Exum plays like Pg, always in control and composed, can be used as ball handler in half court situations and is capable of pretty solid drives too. Josh is capable only in some open court situations and corner 3 shooting. The difference in skills between those 2 is enormous.

It sounds odd, I think we need to set some screens for Green so that he can have some straight line drive, just like what we do to create some space for THJ to shoot 3 ball, so as to boost Green's confidence a little bit. DJJ's game actually is quite similar to Green, except he is longer than Green, and DJJ obviously is having high confidence right now.

His handles are not good enough for half court offense. Just compare him to Exum and you will see where the problem lies.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#65 » by Bob8 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 pm

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,844

Post#66 » by dirkforpres » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:18 pm

Mavrelous wrote:We need to start a conversation about THJ, after Brooklyn game he drove me mad, since then, he's recognizing he's the only willing gun out there and is bailing out the offense in non Luka minutes, he does have his ill advised drives and fast breaks but his jumper is looking as good as it ever was...

For as much as I have hated his game in the past, I at least have to give him credit for his fearlessness every time he gets his hands on the ball. Its the exact opposite of what Josh gives us.

If Tim keeps it up, it might be time to have a Jaden Hardy discussion and if hes truly needed here with 3 other guards that are all performing at a high level
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,606

Post#67 » by Mavrelous » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Bob8 wrote:http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php

It was suppsed to start with the Clippers and Pelicans, but circumstances made them easier than should be, but it's starting Saturday, no easy games, all are tough opponents...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#68 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:42 am

Bob8 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

His handles are not good enough for half court offense. Just compare him to Exum and you will see where the problem lies.

Yes I know, but we just resigned him, and he is still young. If we do not give him more chances to develop and have his confidence up. What will be our plan? Bury him on the bench, and play 10-15 minutes per game in the long run?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#69 » by Bob8 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:23 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

Yes I know, but we just resigned him, and he is still young. If we do not give him more chances to develop and have his confidence up. What will be our plan? Bury him on the bench, and play 10-15 minutes per game in the long run?

I have watched him in Australian NT and he had exactly the same problems like in Mavs. Not sure, if he can become much more than what he's.

He just became expendable, if DJJ and Exum continue to preform well. Which is great news, because we need bigger wing or big much more. He's still young, solid contract, he has some trade value for sure.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#70 » by Bob8 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:27 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:http://powerrankingsguru.com/nba/strength-of-schedule.php

It was suppsed to start with the Clippers and Pelicans, but circumstances made them easier than should be, but it's starting Saturday, no easy games, all are tough opponents...

Bucks will be on back2back and Mavs well rested, I hope Mavs take advantage, it will be really difficult stretch after that.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,994

Post#71 » by Apz » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:33 am

Im gonna stary calling thj "Timmy the Goldfish" from now on. Tje dude seriously eitjer got 0 memory, or he just doesnt give a f
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:30 am

Bob8 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I have watched him in Australian NT and he had exactly the same problems like in Mavs. Not sure, if he can become much more than what he's.

He just became expendable, if DJJ and Exum continue to preform well. Which is great news, because we need bigger wing or big much more. He's still young, solid contract, he has some trade value for sure.

He sure looked a lot better for the Aussie team and was taking minutes from Exum, Dyson Daniels and Thybulle, none of which are **** players - well Thybulle a bit :D. Something's gone wrong since. I don't think he'll ever be a 25ppg scorer but that's not his role either.

As for the expendability, DJJ is only signed until the summer and I think we have Exum on a 2 year deal? Is that a player option or locked in? I fear DJJ will get a full MLE offer from someone if he keeps it up.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#73 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:45 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

He sure looked a lot better for the Aussie team and was taking minutes from Exum, Dyson Daniels and Thybulle, none of which are **** players - well Thybulle a bit :D. Something's gone wrong since. I don't think he'll ever be a 25ppg scorer but that's not his role either.

As for the expendability, DJJ is only signed until the summer and I think we have Exum on a 2 year deal? Is that a player option or locked in? I fear DJJ will get a full MLE offer from someone if he keeps it up.

DJJ can feel the Luka effect... He has to choose between cash or a good spot here.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#74 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:39 am

Bob8 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Green has been getting paid right now, and given his worse performance in recent games, his trade value has dropped considerably.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:56 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

DJJ can feel the Luka effect... He has to choose between cash or a good spot here.

28.8m career earnings in 8 years - he'd have to have a mighty loyal heart to pass up a MLE deal at half his career earnings a year. But let's focus on the here and now and be positive :D He's been a great find for sure

Return to Dallas Mavericks