ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Lakers (Wed. 10:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Lakers (Wed. 10:30PMEST) 

Post#101 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:47 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:What an ugly game, but a win is a win.

At least we learned that without a doubt Holmes should be seeing all of the Lively backup minutes until further notice.

I watched quickly after waking up and didn't pay much attention, but I'll need to go back and look thoroughly at Holmes minutes, the fact Kidd decided to go with him instead of Powell is telling they are seeing something in practice, and that they are recognizing the horrible on/off data with Powell.

Seriuosly, did they need to see something in training? Were 10 years of an NBA career not enough?

I can understand that Cuban,Beibau,ejs78 or some other forum posters who have wrong opinion, at the end of the day they are only basketball fan with no real knowledge. It's normal.

But we have well paid GM, coach and assistants here for judge players.

Powell can't play in real games, he can shine a little bit against garbage team like i said million times but it's fool's gold.
He has no basketball skills, no size, no wing span.. he has only hustle.Seriuosly.
The NBA garbage time is terrible, i've seen scrubs play like MJ. People won't understand it.
Do you remember freakin Kevin Looney how played in WCF? An average NBA player who looks like Kareem.
That's the Powell effect.

I remember first Powell years here, the Carlisle plan was make it an athletic PF with midrange/3 point shoot.
It was a smart decision, he worked hard for that...for sure... but he simply has no Basketball skills/talent.
Just a good athletism, great Locker room activities and a great heart. No more. I'm sorry.

After then Luka arrived here he maked everybody better so Powell looked like a NBA player.
But it's wrong. Totally wrong.
He is still a 14/15th guy just like Pinson.

Holmes is an average NBA C, but he play another sport compared to Powell.
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 862

Post#102 » by kacey ring » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:57 pm

Mavs with two nights off in LA before playing Clippers. Sounds dangerous.

How hungover will Luka be come Saturday?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#103 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I liked what Grant added to us in this game, he shoots bad and didn't play good generally but is tough.
He checked LeBron after 5seconds, he maked hard fouls on AD. Just like Holmes.

No easy dunks on us. No easy layup. Well done.

We probably need another big anyway.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 858

Post#104 » by Teffer10 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:51 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I liked what Grant added to us in this game, he shoots bad and didn't play good generally but is tough.

This may sound crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing Lively's development path go more toward a KG type PF role. Not saying he'll become the next KG by any means, but this kid has great hands, athleticism, length, BBIQ and the ability/willingness to learn new skills.

My point is that I'd like to see them go after more of long term center and develop Lively into a PF to give us a big Frontline.

Jarret Allen comes to mind as that guy.

Developing Lively into a TC role might actually be limiting his potential.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#105 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:09 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I liked what Grant added to us in this game, he shoots bad and didn't play good generally but is tough.

This may sound crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing Lively's development path go more toward a KG type PF role. Not saying he'll become the next KG by any means, but this kid has great hands, athleticism, length, BBIQ and the ability/willingness to learn new skills.

My point is that I'd like to see them go after more of long term center and develop Lively into a PF to give us a big Frontline.

Yes it's a good point but i don't think two towers basket could be efficient in this NBA (i'm talking about PO basket obviously).

If Lively will become a TC clone i will be the happiest kid in the world :lol:
JWillTheFreak
Pro Prospect
And1: 211

Post#106 » by JWillTheFreak » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:53 pm

Lively don't play nothing like KG... right now all he provides is solid defense, boards and he actually pretty good passer from the ft line... but he got horrible touch around the hoop and I haven't seen him shoot a shot yet so idk about his shooting form.

Holmes is a solid player once he gets more opportunities he will be a plus on the offense, from Kings days I remember he had a nice push/floater shot around the hoop.
///////////////////////////////////////BAKAJ///////////////////////////////////////////////
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,163

Post#107 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:27 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:Lively is hurt. Time to put Powell on the floor so Lakers could come back and take the W.

I'd rather Fedex express deliver your ass to the Staples Center than have Powell out there.

Chill dude. Why so angry all the time?
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,177

Post#108 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:40 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

Unless we’re willing be trash while he develops his handle and 3pt shot it’s gonna be hard to develop him.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,090

Post#109 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:24 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Yes it's a good point but i don't think two towers basket could be efficient in this NBA (i'm talking about PO basket obviously).

Yea o think Lively is best suited as a 5. I have been hoping for a SF upgrade, but we more likely need a bigger PF. Than see if Grant can play SF. Rebounding is still an issue, so a 6-9 ish guy or a smaller guy who can rebound could do wonders
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,177

Post#110 » by BeiBeau » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:20 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:This may sound crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing Lively's development path go more toward a KG type PF role. Not saying he'll become the next KG by any means, but this kid has great hands, athleticism, length, BBIQ and the ability/willingness to learn new skills.

Yea o think Lively is best suited as a 5. I have been hoping for a SF upgrade, but we more likely need a bigger PF. Than see if Grant can play SF. Rebounding is still an issue, so a 6-9 ish guy or a smaller guy who can rebound could do wonders

If Daoneandonly and I can agree on something this that’s how bad it is. We need our Aaron Gordon.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,887

Post#111 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:54 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:Lively is hurt. Time to put Powell on the floor so Lakers could come back and take the W.

I'd rather Fedex express deliver your ass to the Staples Center than have Powell out there.

Where's the anger? :lol:
Also on an unrelated note have you watched the Dwight Powell minutes last night?
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:56 pm

kacey ring wrote:Mavs with two nights off in LA before playing Clippers. Sounds dangerous.

How hungover will Luka be come Saturday?

Sounds great tbh - maybe Lively is a long shot with a few days of ice and rest.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:58 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:This may sound crazy but I wouldn't mind seeing Lively's development path go more toward a KG type PF role. Not saying he'll become the next KG by any means, but this kid has great hands, athleticism, length, BBIQ and the ability/willingness to learn new skills.

Look at that, only took you a week to finally agree with my point - when you can't pick Josh Green to hyperfocus on apparently your perception works.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,090

Post#114 » by daoneandonly » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:26 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Look at that, only took you a week to finally agree with my point - when you can't pick Josh Green to hyperfocus on apparently your perception works.

Last time I'm quoting you as I'm done with ur garbage. We wouldn't have that problem if we drafted McDaniels instead of Green. Or Maxey or Bane because then we could have traded Brunson for value. So again, the drafting of Green has been a compounding problem since June 2020
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:30 am

dirkules_41 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:I'd rather Fedex express deliver your ass to the Staples Center than have Powell out there.

Where's the anger? :lol:
Also on an unrelated note have you watched the Dwight Powell minutes last night?

Vomiting as always against good teams, I struggled to sleep after those 5 hellish minutes.
I would like to forget. Thank you.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:38 am

daoneandonly wrote:
dirkules_41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Last time I'm quoting you as I'm done with ur garbage. We wouldn't have that problem if we drafted McDaniels instead of Green. Or Maxey or Bane because then we could have traded Brunson for value. So again, the drafting of Green has been a compounding problem since June 2020

And we would have 5 rings if we had drafted Kobe, Giannis, had resigned Chandler in 2011, etc. Unlike you I like to focus on what could be done to make the existing roster better and success in the near future rather than dwelling on things that neither you, me nor the Mavs FO can change.
And my point was all along that the most glaring issue on this roster is not your favourite target Josh Green but the lack of interior presence and rebounding beyond Lively.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#117 » by Teffer10 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:09 am

JWillTheFreak wrote:Lively don't play nothing like KG... right now all he provides is solid defense, boards and he actually pretty good passer from the ft line... but he got horrible touch around the hoop and I haven't seen him shoot a shot yet so idk about his shooting form.

Holmes is a solid player once he gets more opportunities he will be a plus on the offense, from Kings days I remember he had a nice push/floater shot around the hoop.

Missing the point here....Lively has the attitude, BBIQ and willingness to learn new skills.
He already has the ability to defend and rebound so now he can concentrate on offense.

The point actually kills two birds with one stone.
We get a guy like Allen or someone similar, we don't have to be tortured with Powell as our primary backup and potential starter if something happens to Lively.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#118 » by Teffer10 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:20 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Honestly, he is light years ahead of TC in terms of development imo.
Imagine having a TC type center with good offensive skills.
Yes, he can become a good two-way center, but the guy is quick enough and athletic enough to play farther from the basket and I think this guy can be developed into something really special and I'd hate to see it limited to just a defensive/rebounding center.

A guy like Allen or someone similar could take the TC role to do all of the dirty work and we would have one bitchin front line that would be hard to compete with. We'd own the paint and boards and I think that would bode well in the POs.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,831

Post#119 » by Mavrelous » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:04 am

The new look Mavs have Luka shine as a passer and a shooter, at the expense of drive to the rim, on one hand, this is a great RS strategy to reduce his load, OTOH, for Mavs to be elite, Luka needs to be the at the rim scorer he always used to be, I hope they ramp it up towards the end of the season.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,831

Post#120 » by Mavrelous » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:24 am

Grant Afseth did a film review for Holmes plays, what I'm missing most from Holmes, haven't seen it at all in pres-season and during the season, is his mid range hook shot, his primary offensive weapon, w/o it he is reduced to layups and his touch around the rim is subpar from the few attempts he's made.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks