ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Grizzlies (Mond., Dec 11)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,516

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Grizzlies (Mond., Dec 11) 

Post#141 » by Maverick41 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:05 am

BeiBeau wrote:Hardy is not a point guard and we all need to understand that to properly evaluate that. But yeah if we could get some more games like the end of last season. That would be really helpful for pumping his trade value.

Imo the one that needs to realize that he isn't a point guard, isn't us fans. It's the coaching staff. I think most on this board agrees that he's really an SG. Have him curl off screens, be a secondary or ideally a tertiary scorer off of double teams to Luka, etc. He's definitely not capable of being a primary ball handler. He's a guy that can get buckets, that is all. Use him like we use THJ.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,128

Post#142 » by BeiBeau » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:09 am

Maverick41 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:Hardy is not a point guard and we all need to understand that to properly evaluate that. But yeah if we could get some more games like the end of last season. That would be really helpful for pumping his trade value.

Imo the one that needs to realize that he isn't a point guard, isn't us fans. It's the coaching staff. I think most on this board agrees that he's really an SG. Have him curl off screens, be a secondary or ideally a tertiary scorer off of double teams to Luka, etc. He's definitely not capable of being a primary ball handler. He's a guy that can get buckets, that is all. Use him like we use THJ.

I’ve been meaning to bump the summer league thread to make fun of 41dirk41 about lively. But there were a **** ton of fans going at Hardy because he was a bad point guard in that too.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 985

Post#143 » by tleikheen » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:46 am

There might not be much of a choice tomorrow with .... THJ,Kyrie,GWms, DJJ,Green .likely not suiting up ......

Luka ,Dante, "Hardy", "OMax" ,Lively maybe starting and Curry off the bench because Hardy played better than Curry.

Home court or not Dallas is the underdog easily .......
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,875

Post#144 » by dirkules_41 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:05 am

BeiBeau wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:Before this divulges into the usual Powell hate thread, let's give credit to our young guys.

Lively with a double double 16/16. He wasn't defending JJJ that well but the guy was playing really hard out there and wreaking havoc. This kid has a ton of potential. Even had a hookshot today that looked pretty dang good.

Omax with his best game so far. 11 pts, 3 threes and a menace on D. He legitimately looks huge out there. If he can somehow put together a decent jumpshot, he could be the big wing we crave for. Obviously a big ask since many big wings never get that coveted jumpshot but this game gives hope. Hit a big 3 to stop a big run by MEM in the 4th.

Hardy was great to start the game. Shot really well and made good passes. 2nd half not so much. He was out of control and made a lot of bad decisions. Pretty much the Hardy experience but his shot making and creation was very helpful in filling the THJ void. Might be his best game this season so far.

Lively and JJJ may seem similar. But apart from the nebulous label of “rim protection” they are really not similar. Asking Lively to guard a fairly perimeter orientated JJJ was always going to set him up to fail.

Tbf I don't mind his approach there, i only saw highlights and the last 4 minutes but my impression was that he was staying away a fair bit to avoid foul issues. JJJ is the ultimate empty numbers guy for me - he'll always put up a good scoring line but never really feels like he affects the game much and he got outrebounded by Lively by 12. I think that's the key stat in that matchup.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,593

Post#145 » by Mavrelous » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:38 am

Maverick41 wrote:

It's frustrating, he had it going from 3 and long range 2s, suddenly he started driving right into a trap, same thing that happened in the previous Grizzlies game, why he wasn't pulled and instructed not to do it is beyond me, and why Lawson didn't play in the 4th is also beyond me.
Hardy wasn't ready to start the season, and that's on him, but for him to fall into opposing coach traps and his coach not helping him figure it out that's on his coach.
P.S. they also recognized he's not the strongest ball handler and tried trap bringing up the ball, and almost coughed it up few times but managed to maintain control.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,593

Post#146 » by Mavrelous » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:41 am

I watch a lot of other teams, I don't think there is a single player in this league that faces the defensive attention Luka does, combined with really unfavourable whistle, our guy is getting killed on nightly basis.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,068

Post#147 » by Archx » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:57 am

Mavrelous wrote:I watch a lot of other teams, I don't think there is a single player in this league that faces the defensive attention Luka does, combined with really unfavourable whistle, our guy is getting killed on nightly basis.

Unfortunately Kyrie being out doesn't help. Teams doing to Luka what they were doing before Kyrie got here and it sucks that Kyrie is injured again. Luckily no one counted on Exum to be this good on offense and he can help a lot, but still... Kyrie is a star and it's way harder to double or triple Luka with him on the floor.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#148 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:25 pm

Mavs team functions without Kyrie pretty much the same.
Luka and Mavs of course lacks capable teammates that worth a max contract and trade assets.
Last year it was worse as Mavs lost DFS-Dinwiddie. Props to FO, they got Grant Williams and Dante Exum in FA. Drafted good with Lively. This supporting cast is not enough for playoffs.

Lillard brought Ayton-Jrue and lots of picks for the Blazers.
Wish Mavs can fool someone as well.

I mean Gobert was looking untradeable and Danny Ainge was able to sell it. New owners happen, disgruntled stars become available.
Every Mavs fan should cross their fingers for such trade. Sending Kyrie's ass away in a trade and getting some frontcourt players to help Luka would be awesome.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,057

Post#149 » by daoneandonly » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:50 pm

Take the W and hope for the best with an unnecessary b2b due to SIlver's obsession to add things like the mid season tourney that are not needed.

Exum played well, Luks is Luka, and Lively with another strong showing despite JJJ going off a bit. Even Omax is showing a little something on why Mavs took on Holmes to get him
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#150 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:22 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

I’ve been meaning to bump the summer league thread to make fun of 41dirk41 about lively. But there were a **** ton of fans going at Hardy because he was a bad point guard in that too.

Yes it could be good... Mostly after 3months of your posts who to make fun of you about Powell :lol:

You need revenge for sure, the situation is very bad for you but Lively is not the way... He is still not ready to be a starter for a contender like i said in SL but of course he is miles away of a standard rookie path and it's good because the backup is that stupid scrub Powell :lol:

I would like a topic that doesn't turn out to be yet another piece of crap for you... but I have faith, you can do it before May, after all you're the smartest here.

Hang on Champ. Don't stop yourself now.

Return to Dallas Mavericks