ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Clippers (Wed., 830PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dali
Sophomore
And1: 40

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Clippers (Wed., 830PMEST) 

Post#121 » by Dali » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:01 am

Yea Luka's bar is so damn high, that we can call a triple double game for him a bad one. But 9/25 from the field, 2/11 from 3, 8/14 from the ft line, and 5 to's is not going to cut it.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,516

Post#122 » by Maverick41 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:04 am

JWillTheFreak wrote:The L is on Luka the role players played great but he stink it up in second half. He need to learn how to close out on shooters because he keeps over playing them and they just go by him... Bad TO in crunch time and four bricks from the line...

Yeah, absolutely this game is on Luka. Role players played well enough (except Powell) and it was up to him to close. Can't win if you're superstar plays like this down the stretch. He has to be better. The free throw misses in particular is just inexcusable.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,601

Post#123 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:20 am

ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:You're so desperate right now its not even funny. There have been several quotes between us today and You're now acting like I picked a random one where no discussion has been had and this time you actually asked a question.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app

First you need question marks and when you're directly quoting my posts, you're just taking generally? :lol:

Bob for someone who loves the intricacies of basketball such as PRESEASON netrg its odd how do don't understand what a question is and how a message board thread works. There was a clear conversation after you pointed out your non question. Really not that hard to understand. If you want to live in the past and talk about what a mistake is and isnt knock yourself out as it wont change anything as it was more about you living in a Mavs bubble and having no concept of anything else.

You're too smart for me, I give in.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#124 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:31 am

Mavs are repeating last season, Luka is playing too many minutes, being targeted in most of them by opponents. Playoffs usage can't work in RS.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#125 » by ejs78 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:32 am

Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
First you need question marks and when you're directly quoting my posts, you're just taking generally? :lol:

Bob for someone who loves the intricacies of basketball such as PRESEASON netrg its odd how do don't understand what a question is and how a message board thread works. There was a clear conversation after you pointed out your non question. Really not that hard to understand. If you want to live in the past and talk about what a mistake is and isnt knock yourself out as it wont change anything as it was more about you living in a Mavs bubble and having no concept of anything else.

How about we just leave at we dont see eye to eye.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#126 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:37 am

ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

I have no problem with that, you're the one bringing personal attacks to this conversation.
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#127 » by ejs78 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:43 am

Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I have no problem with that, you're the one bringing personal attacks to this conversation.

If me saying you like preseason netrg and live in Mavs bubble I'm definitely guilty of "personal attacks".

Have a good holiday season
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 124

Post#128 » by joesha1698 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:46 am

Archx wrote:LMAO THJ will give you a roller coaster of a experiences in only 1 minute.

yall are too hard on THJ. Dude is a gamer. You want guys like that on your team. Just saying.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#129 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:49 am

ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:

If me saying you like preseason netrg and live in Mavs bubble I'm definitely guilty of "personal attacks".

You said many things in previous conversations. But please enlighten me, what has preseason netrtg and live in Mavs bubble with today's conversation?
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by ejs78 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:55 am

Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

You said many things in previous conversations. But please enlighten me, what has preseason netrtg and live in Mavs bubble with today's conversation?
Happy Holidays.... don't take this as a personal attack

kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 834

Post#131 » by kacey ring » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:21 am

Give credit to Ty Lue and the Clippers, their defensive game plan on Luka was pretty solid throughout the game. Westbrook still bringing that defensive intensity. Kawhi was solid too. 9 game win streak for them.

Was really hoping the Mavs role players could pull off a big win. But the small ball lineup did us 0 favors on defense, especially the constant doubling of Harden that lead to easy buckets.

Would be nice to get back to full health soon.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,853

Post#132 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:30 am

ejs78 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ejs78 wrote:Every team in the league makes mistakes its not just Dallas. Enjoy living in the past along with your preseason netrg.

So you admit it was a mistake?
Bob its a blanket statement that all teams make mistakes everyone of them and not pointing to a specific situation.You live in a Mavs bubble and that's ok if you want to do that but you're really grabbing for straws at this point.

You have one of the most losing mentality I've ever seen, seriuosly ... Watching and comparing worse teams of the league with Mavs is the right path to mediocrity.
And here we are so i know you are happy with this situation. Good for you.

Maybe it's Detroit people mindset.
I don't know honestly.

Btw not a bad game, our S5 had maybe 2 NBA starters. Maybe not.
We can't win against good teams with this material.

Of course 18 minutes of 3-1-1 line stat by the worst NBA player ever born didn't help.

The others at least tried to play basketball, but we can't expect too much.

We miss Kyrie a lot.

But like my friend said "Sky isn't falling" and Detroit, Charlotte, Indiana ecc ecc are worse than us and you didn't remember how bad were the Mavs before Cuban so it's another good day for cheering Dallas Mavericks.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,516

Post#133 » by Maverick41 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:18 am

What's most evident is that Luka, while clearly having better cardio then last year, is still struggling to keep up with the extreme load that Kidd is putting him in. And honestly it's not fair because 44+ minutes and having to create 99% of the offense is just too damn much for 1 player. Kidd needs to figure out ways to somehow get it down to 37-40 mpg, and even lower when Kyrie gets back. Do your job Kidd. Coach the team. Run some plays beyond just "give the ball to Luka and hope for the best."
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,616

Post#134 » by Mavrelous » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:03 am

Still no timetable cor return on anyone.
Last year Maxi partially tore his hamstring as we got timetable for return, great job demoting Casey Smith, clearly you had someone better...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,011

Post#135 » by tleikheen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:34 am

What's most evident is that Luka, while clearly having better cardio then last year, is still struggling to keep up with the extreme load that Kidd is putting him in. And honestly it's not fair because 44+ minutes and having to create 99% of the offense is just too damn much for 1 player. Kidd needs to figure out ways to somehow get it down to 37-40 mpg, and even lower when Kyrie gets back. Do your job Kidd. Coach the team. Run some plays beyond just "give the ball to Luka and hope for the best."

So much whining about a 24 yr old playing tooooo much minutes . through 25 games Luka avgs 36.7 minutes . A 35 yr old Kevin Durant who's had leg surgeries avgs 36.7 minutes in 23 games.
Th best players have always played the most minutes and thats what Luka is . Stop crybabying and just enjoy what he does on the court because I guarantee you he's learning what he can do and how to control the whole game from start to finish.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#136 » by tleikheen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:45 am

To follow up what I also liked was Dante Exum playing 40 minutes and Derek Jones Jr playing 39 minutes . They're lining up to be the guys that go to battle with Luka. Lively will be back and Kyrie will be back and the Mavs have the makings of the starting 5.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,098

Post#137 » by Archx » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:08 am

tleikheen wrote:

So much whining about a 24 yr old playing tooooo much minutes . through 25 games Luka avgs 36.7 minutes . A 35 yr old Kevin Durant who's had leg surgeries avgs 36.7 minutes in 23 games.
Th best players have always played the most minutes and thats what Luka is . Stop crybabying and just enjoy what he does on the court because I guarantee you he's learning what he can do and how to control the whole game from start to finish.

This game is on Luka and he'll have games like this, he's human. But the amount of carry job this guy has done so far, no player in the league does aswell with such roster.

Luka is nr1 in the league in unassisted points, Durant scores on 64% of assisted points. And doesn't do remotely as much as Luka.

At some point playing full 3rd and 4th Q's will catch up to you. Specially when you have a baby aswell to take care of at home. On top of that, he's had various small injuries that will show when you play extended minutes. How could you watch this game and not notice that he had zero lift in his legs? A ton of his shots were short, even FTA.

Kidd is a moron, it's simple as that, he can't coach or manage minutes. Brings in Powell (for some reason) LAC go on a run, Powell goes to the bench, Mavs go on a run.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#138 » by tleikheen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:30 am

Kidd is a moron, it's simple as that, he can't coach or manage minutes. Brings in Powell (for some reason) LAC go on a run, Powell goes to the bench, Mavs go on a run.

This was the when the momentum that the Mavs seized and was stopped when Kidd brought in Powell .It stopped the Mavs momentum and predictably Clippers regained the advantage again. I think if the Mavs could of gotten a 3-5 pt lead we would have seen a different outcome and who'd be whining about Luka's minutes.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#139 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:37 am

kacey ring wrote:Give credit to Ty Lue and the Clippers, their defensive game plan on Luka was pretty solid throughout the game. Westbrook still bringing that defensive intensity. Kawhi was solid too. 9 game win streak for them.

Was really hoping the Mavs role players could pull off a big win. But the small ball lineup did us 0 favors on defense, especially the constant doubling of Harden that lead to easy buckets.

Would be nice to get back to full health soon.

This is always the case for Mavs. Cuban still couldn't put a team around Luka that capable to slow down Kawhi.

Carlisle getting eliminated in first round was mocked but when Kawhi-PG are healthy, they have a loaded team. The front court rotation of ours is not enough to win a series over them. Luka Magic will get many games and it will be close. But the problem is lack of plus defenders, rim protection and rebounding. Same thing happened against GSW. Their frontcourt with Wiggins, Dray, Looney were better than ours. Jazz had a better frontcourt on paper as well but Maxi Kleber was able to beat Gobert matchup with small ball approach. If you forget about the season for a moment, you'll see the Mavs have little to no chance in playoffs without upgrading the frontcourt. (I like Lively a lot but its too much to ask from him to play like 29 year old T.Chandler)

Against this hot Clippers team on a win-streak, Kyrie would not change the scenery much. We would do worse defensively and Kyrie would get shots of Exum and THJ. Exum shot 6-12, THJ 8-21, Hardy 5-13.
46 non-Luka shots for the backcourt. With Kyrie, 3 more shots would be made, but the Mavs would concede 2-3 easier layups and Clippers would get 1-2 more offensive rebounds.

Mavs need Lively back more urgently. And to be honest, the Mavs need another solid max player at SF-PF rotation than kyrie back.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#140 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:56 am

Bob8 wrote:Mavs are repeating last season, Luka is playing too many minutes, being targeted in most of them by opponents. Playoffs usage can't work in RS.

Luka on the court or off the court does not matter, defense sucks.
They play Luka to at least be good on offense. This approach may not be the optimal one but I dont think this is the problem.
The problem is the frontcourt rotation.
* On a good team DJJ-Williams would probably be rotational players but not starters.
* D.Powell would not be on the team or be 4th best center of the team that only plays 1 out of 10 games at 5mpg.

Return to Dallas Mavericks