Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread 

Post#121 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

dygaction wrote:I am struggling with evaluating Lively as well. He is raw, can be clumsy, no handle, no range, but just good at team basketball. He just sonned Sabonis who routinely owns AD. Luka + Kyrie's contract window is not very wide, Mavs need to enter win now mode.
Would someone more proven, like Mikal Bridges + Nic Claxton for THJ + Lively II + assets, sway you?

I'm much lower on Bridges than most, I'd do this deal w/o hesitation, but I think Nets fans will find it not appealing.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,194

Post#122 » by dygaction » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

Mavrelous wrote:
dygaction wrote:I am struggling with evaluating Lively as well. He is raw, can be clumsy, no handle, no range, but just good at team basketball. He just sonned Sabonis who routinely owns AD. Luka + Kyrie's contract window is not very wide, Mavs need to enter win now mode.
Would someone more proven, like Mikal Bridges + Nic Claxton for THJ + Lively II + assets, sway you?

I'm much lower on Bridges than most, I'd do this deal w/o hesitation, but I think Nets fans will find it not appealing.

That's where the "assets" come into play - Green/OMax/Hardy/Picks and depending on how much Mavs want to get it done. Nic is like Gafford's duplicate but he needs a new contract so not straight forward trade.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Post#123 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

FWIW, DJJ+Green as defesnive guards with Gafford/Lively + PJ frontcourt is good enough IMO, Mavs need backup PF, Maxi is nearing the end of his servicable career, and they need offense off the bench if Hardy isn't in the plans to fully replace THJ, I just don't see THJ another year in Mavs uniform, they also need 4th ball handler because both Kyrie and Exum aren't reliable and see to be 30 games each, with Mavs shortage of resources, just addressing these is going to be tough.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
MassimoPayne
Freshman
And1: 70

Post#124 » by MassimoPayne » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

There is no way Mavs are trading Lively. Guys under rookie contract are so valuable to the franachise, especially when they are so good and playable like Lively. I would rather develop him into something together wir´th Gaff and trade Gaff in 3+ years when he is still valuable and Lively developed.

When was the last time a pure center came into the league that looked that ready as Lively is now.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#125 » by dygaction » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

MassimoPayne wrote:There is no way Mavs are trading Lively. Guys under rookie contract are so valuable to the franachise, especially when they are so good and playable like Lively. I would rather develop him into something together wir´th Gaff and trade Gaff in 3+ years when he is still valuable and Lively developed.

When was the last time a pure center came into the league that looked that ready as Lively is now.

Every team would under normal circumstances but if Mavs don’t win big in the next two years they may lose both Luka and Kyrie. Lively has been great so he is the best asset to land someone truly valuable.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#126 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am

Mavrelous wrote:FWIW, DJJ+Green as defesnive guards with Gafford/Lively + PJ frontcourt is good enough IMO, Mavs need backup PF, Maxi is nearing the end of his servicable career, and they need offense off the bench if Hardy isn't in the plans to fully replace THJ, I just don't see THJ another year in Mavs uniform, they also need 4th ball handler because both Kyrie and Exum aren't reliable and see to be 30 games each, with Mavs shortage of resources, just addressing these is going to be tough.

Enough THJ already. Giving him the extension probably made FO to not give Brunson a well-deserved extension.
In WCF run, THJ was injured and the team did not miss him at all. He is done with those multi-year deals. He should be looking for MLE or less.

This year FO made really nice signings and trades. Some low-risk tries didn't pan out, but some did. DJJ is not a great starter for playoffs but for a vet.min he is a steal. Exum is great, he provides real PG skills which completes Kyrie's SG skills.

Gafford is a steal for trading a future draft pick switch. I cannot understand why other teams didn't go for him. Like in West alone, there are 3-4 teams that'd benefit from Gafford, considering his age and reasonable contract. I'd not want to play against the Suns with Gafford.

PJ is getting better, Green-Maxi will be needed in playoffs as well. Lets see if Kyrie struggles in playoffs against length like he did against opponents like Celtics. More importantly, if Kyrie gets injured in 1st round or sth, Mavs would need to re-evaluate that plan. This also applies to Exum. After all the goal is winning the title. If you have injury-prone players that cannot survive to the next rounds then that is a problem.

So these playoffs should give good indications about what positions to focus on. I believe Luka-Exum-Gafford-Lively are great for the contracts so they'll be here for next year. Lively can only be traded if there is a so great opportunity present. Like if LAC dismantles the squad and offers Kawhi for Lively+fillers, then Cuban may bet for a short-term win.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#127 » by Darren » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

dygaction wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
dygaction wrote:How about under the main frame of Herbert Jones + Larry Nance Jr. ($22.4M) for THJ + Lively II ($22.7M) and make it work with fillers.

Why Mavs:
Getting one of the best 3&D SF out there. Nance Jr. can be a solid backup to Gafford and can better stretch the floor. Lively is great but you have to sacrifice something valuable for a great wing defender.

Why Pelicans:
They need to keep Trey Murphy and Ingram. THJ's contract ($16M) is expiring, and With Lively starting on rookie contract, they can save on Valanciunas' expiring ($15M).

Mavs rotation:
PG: Luka/Exum/Kyrie
SG: Kyrie/Hardy/Green
SF: Jones/Jones Jr.
PF: PJ/Maxi/OMax
C: Gafford/Nance Jr./Powell

I lean towards no, I've skeptical on Herb, I didn't think his offense eas good enough to qualify as an elite 3&D, but he proved me wrong this year.
Still, I tend to value Lively more, the ability to have 2 rim protecting and rim running bigs for 48 minutes changed the team.

I am struggling with evaluating Lively as well. He is raw, can be clumsy, no handle, no range, but just good at team basketball. He just sonned Sabonis who routinely owns AD. Luka + Kyrie's contract window is not very wide, Mavs need to enter win now mode.

This combination of size, athleticism and intelligence is rare. I think the Mavs keep both Gafford and Lively long-term. If the duo works alongside each other, then trade Washington instead. Smart players excel alongside Luka and Kyrie.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Post#128 » by Archx » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Darren wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:I lean towards no, I've skeptical on Herb, I didn't think his offense eas good enough to qualify as an elite 3&D, but he proved me wrong this year.
Still, I tend to value Lively more, the ability to have 2 rim protecting and rim running bigs for 48 minutes changed the team.

I am struggling with evaluating Lively as well. He is raw, can be clumsy, no handle, no range, but just good at team basketball. He just sonned Sabonis who routinely owns AD. Luka + Kyrie's contract window is not very wide, Mavs need to enter win now mode.

This combination of size, athleticism and intelligence is rare. I think the Mavs keep both Gafford and Lively long-term. If the duo works alongside each other, then trade Washington instead. Smart players excel alongside Luka and Kyrie.

Have you seen any games lately? PJ and Gaff completely transformed this team defense. Gafford excels as rim protector and PJ is the wing defender Mavs badly needed. Why would you trade any of them? Lively is still incredibly young but learning at a rapid pace, another huge question mark why would you trade him for anyone?

Mavs have something they didn't even have in 2011 and that's 48 mins of pure center rotation with good rebounding and rim presence. And you guys are already thinking of breaking that up? Man.... :banghead:
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#129 » by dirkforpres » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

dygaction wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Love that idea. But would anyone take THJ? Would it also work financially if someone would take Green instead?

The player? Probably not. The expiring contract? Definitely.

Celts are a team im looking at. I think its likely now that they will opt to pay Derrick White in lieu of Jrue at this stage of their careers... Maybe we could swing a Jrue S&T for THJ and some SRPs?

Celtics traded Jrue with Robert Williams III, Malcolm Brogdon and two first-round picks. No way they would take THJ + srps.

Agreed, but if he declines his player option and they opt to pay White instead, they won’t really have any leverage to negotiate a Jrue trade. It’s either take something back like a large expiring and some picks or lose him for nothing at all.
FIRE JASON KIDD
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#130 » by daoneandonly » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Archx wrote:
Darren wrote:
dygaction wrote:

Have you seen any games lately? PJ and Gaff completely transformed this team defense. Gafford excels as rim protector and PJ is the wing defender Mavs badly needed. Why would you trade any of them? Lively is still incredibly young but learning at a rapid pace, another huge question mark why would you trade him for anyone?

Mavs have something they didn't even have in 2011 and that's 48 mins of pure center rotation with good rebounding and rim presence. And you guys are already thinking of breaking that up? Man.... :banghead:

Yea, Dallas can ill afford to trade any of Lively, Gaff, or PJ. The odd men out should be THJ and Green. Hardy doesnt have value, huge blame to Kidd for not playing him, so he's on the list too. Exum as well because he's just too unreliable to play. But those 3 guys with the backcourt, no you have to keep them as is.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#131 » by tleikheen » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Gaff and Lively are a twosome that no other teams in the NBA have and they'
re young ,you dont mess with that.

PJ has the PF nailed down and next year OMax can back him up .

The 4 guard lineup which doesnt always play at the same time is and should be Luka and Kyrie of course with Dante and Green as the 3rd and 4th guard.

DJJ as shown himself as a quality rotation player ,Mavs need his big hops and keep Hardy another years and look for another DJJ /Exum type player to fill out the roster.

The Mavs are gonna make a run to the Western Conference Championship with who they have NOW . No trades are needed at this moment .......
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#132 » by dygaction » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yea, Dallas can ill afford to trade any of Lively, Gaff, or PJ. The odd men out should be THJ and Green. Hardy doesnt have value, huge blame to Kidd for not playing him, so he's on the list too. Exum as well because he's just too unreliable to play. But those 3 guys with the backcourt, no you have to keep them as is.

They are hugely valuable pieces you do not touch unless more valuable players are available. You cannot expect other teams will give critical valuable piece by just taking Mavs odd men out.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 850

Post#133 » by Teffer10 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

Mavrelous wrote:FWIW, DJJ+Green as defesnive guards with Gafford/Lively + PJ frontcourt is good enough IMO, Mavs need backup PF, Maxi is nearing the end of his servicable career, and they need offense off the bench if Hardy isn't in the plans to fully replace THJ, I just don't see THJ another year in Mavs uniform, they also need 4th ball handler because both Kyrie and Exum aren't reliable and see to be 30 games each, with Mavs shortage of resources, just addressing these is going to be tough.

Morris is a possible short term solution to the backup PF situation.
Prosper is the long term.

I just think we are solid at 1/2/4/5 but are starving for that 3. DJJ, Green, Exum are nice role players but I don't see any of the three developing into a solid starting 3.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Post#134 » by Archx » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

I just think we are solid at 1/2/4/5 but are starving for that 3. DJJ, Green, Exum are nice role players but I don't see any of the three developing into a solid starting 3.

You sure about that?

1st - K. Irving - D. Jones Jr. - P. Washington - L. Doncic - D. Gafford... with +24.7 net. One of the best (if not the best starting unit) in the league and +12 better than Celtics and Nuggets starting units.

2nd -K. Irving - P. Washington - L. Doncic - J. Green - D. Lively II... with +13 net. Still 0.6 pts better than Celtics starting unit.

As you can see, Green and DJJ have worked well but then bench rotations and very suspect coaching, plus mostly injuries, have been the story of the season so far. The fact that Mavs have only ONE lineup that is just slightly above 100 minutes played, is just scary. That's why we always say in general chat that it is basically a miracle for them to have this good of a result in the standings.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#135 » by Maverick41 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 pm

What about De'andre Hunter? His contract and injury woes are big enough that ATL may want to move on, especially if they go into a rebuild. He can easily slot into the SF and also play backup PF. Something like:

THJ + Omax for Hunter
Green + Omax for Hunter

Maybe we need to add more but I'm definitely not adding a FRP unless something else comes with him.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#136 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

Maverick41 wrote:What about De'andre Hunter? His contract and injury woes are big enough that ATL may want to move on, especially if they go into a rebuild. He can easily slot into the SF and also play backup PF. Something like:

THJ + Omax for Hunter
Green + Omax for Hunter

Maybe we need to add more but I'm definitely not adding a FRP unless something else comes with him.

He is the perfect guy... But is heavy injury prone.
It's a big risk but without FRPs we could take it.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 959

Post#137 » by tleikheen » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 pm

Dallas nailed it with DLively and OMax has the size and athleticism that Dallas needs .

With 3 guards that can run the offense already in Luka,Kyrie and Dante ,Then have Green as the 4th guard . Mavs are set.
Centers are Lively and Gafford ,They're set

Without and high draft picks for this summer then OMax has to be developed to join PJ and DJJ as another perimeter defender.

Thats 9 players ..... Mavs just need a 6'9" PF type player like Obi Toppin or Jalen Smith ,younger guys that can shoot.

This is where Hardy & THJ can be used as trade pieces.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Post#138 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 pm

tleikheen wrote:Dallas nailed it with DLively and OMax has the size and athleticism that Dallas needs .

With 3 guards that can run the offense already in Luka,Kyrie and Dante ,Then have Green as the 4th guard . Mavs are set.
Centers are Lively and Gafford ,They're set

Without and high draft picks for this summer then OMax has to be developed to join PJ and DJJ as another perimeter defender.

Thats 9 players ..... Mavs just need a 6'9" PF type player like Obi Toppin or Jalen Smith ,younger guys that can shoot.

This is where Hardy & THJ can be used as trade pieces.

Exum, Green, Lively and Omax don't have too much points in their hands... We need one of THJ, Hardy or someone else who can scores 20 from the bench.

Nico will never trade both for another no scorer. That's sure.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,963

Post#139 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:38 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

Keep in mind Brooklyn turned down Jalen Green + multiple first round picks for Bridges.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Post#140 » by Darren » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:19 pm

dygaction wrote:
MassimoPayne wrote:There is no way Mavs are trading Lively. Guys under rookie contract are so valuable to the franachise, especially when they are so good and playable like Lively. I would rather develop him into something together wir´th Gaff and trade Gaff in 3+ years when he is still valuable and Lively developed.

Every team would under normal circumstances but if Mavs don’t win big in the next two years they may lose both Luka and Kyrie. Lively has been great so he is the best asset to land someone truly valuable.

I think the title is wide opened. I think the group is talented. I think the Mavs could get the final piece without breaking up the core, e.g. Wiggins, Issaac etc. The major barrier is actually Kidd.

Return to Dallas Mavericks