ImageImageImage

Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,250

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread 

Post#181 » by dygaction » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:37 am

tleikheen wrote:Maybe it hasnt dawned on some of you but we dont want "OLD" guys , Jimmy Butler is 34 years old this year . Just look at this years trades .Gafford and PJ are 25 years old and the Mavs have suddenly transformed into a legitimate contender .

When it comes to need the Mavs should still look for the 6'9 to 7''0 PF type.

You construct the best possible roster to win now. PJ/Maxi/Lively/Gafford are more than capable front court rotation. DJJ is playing more than his contract but the upgrade from a league min journeyman to a top 10 wing should be enticing enough for all in. Luka can also slide to PF occasionally and put much more effort on D with added playmaking from Jimmy.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 851

Post#182 » by Teffer10 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:47 am

tleikheen wrote:Maybe it hasnt dawned on some of you but we dont want "OLD" guys , Jimmy Butler is 34 years old this year . Just look at this years trades .Gafford and PJ are 25 years old and the Mavs have suddenly transformed into a legitimate contender .

When it comes to need the Mavs should still look for the 6'9 to 7''0 PF type.

I like how Mavs are set up for now and the future.
Maxi's contract is perfect for Prosper's development.
Hardy appears to be the heir apparent to THJ's role.
Lively will only get better, and we still have a 2025 draft pick.

I'm probably a little too high on Lawson, but I think he is good enough to make Green expendable in a trade. I could live with keeping Green though.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,851

Post#183 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:01 am

Butler is a huge 2way player with a great work ethic but he is just too old... If he wants to play here ok but not picks or young kids for him.
MassimoPayne
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#184 » by MassimoPayne » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am

I also don't think Luka would like a star player that sits out 50% of the season and doesn't really try to play.
On the other hand I think there would be no real way to have three 40 mio + players on a roster.

It would financially make no sense at all. You are not able to trade anymore basically with three players earning so much money
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#185 » by dygaction » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:08 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:I also don't think Luka would like a star player that sits out 50% of the season and doesn't really try to play.
On the other hand I think there would be no real way to have three 40 mio + players on a roster.

It would financially make no sense at all. You are not able to trade anymore basically with three players earning so much money

but that's almost the norm for all top teams.
Celtics - Tatum/Brown/Jrue/Porzingis on max all >$30M/yr
Nuggets - Jokic/MPJ/Murray on max, and Gordon >$20M/yr
Timberwolves - Edward/Towns/Gobert on Max, and Jaden on >$20M/yr long term
Clippers - PG13/Kawhi/Harden add to $126M and Powell $18M/yr
Bucks - Giannis/Lillard/Middleton add to $120M and Lopez $25M/yr
Suns - Booker/Beal/KD add to $130M and Nurkic $17M/yr
with the exception of OKC having the luxury of great rookies and their contracts.

Fortunate for Mavs is that Luka/Kyrie @ $40m/$37m are great contracts. They are not going to have cap space as long as Luka is here as his next contract will start at >$60M/yr. It really depends on how much salary/luxury tax the owner is willing to spend.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,046

Post#186 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:13 pm

Maverick41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:If Arod and his partner end up getting the Wolves and they want to cut payroll as rumored, we need to put our chips in on Jaden McDaniels.Superb defender and fits so well with the SL

He's one of my top guys on my radar too. Maybe something like the following:

DAL Receives: McDaniels + NAW
MIN Receives: THJ + J. Green + 25 FRP (top 10 protected)

DAL gets a all defensive wing in McDaniels and a good defender at the guard position in NAW. Add a good shooter in the offseason and we're set. Luka/Kyrie/McDaniels/PJ/Gafford with Exum/NAW/DJJ/Maxi/Lively off the bench is scary good defensively.

MIN gets out of McDaniels's giant contract. They get Green at half the cost of McDaniels and an expiring THJ who can provide the offense they desperately need off the bench. They can let THJ expire the following offseason to get major cap relief. They also get a FRP which they actually need so they can add cheap, young and cost controlled assets to fill their bench.

Would hate to lose another first, but have to give to get despite what the liberal left believe.

Of course this all would be moot if we drafted the right guy (any of the clearly obvious 3 better options) in 2020.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,004

Post#187 » by Archx » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 pm

dygaction wrote:
MassimoPayne wrote:I also don't think Luka would like a star player that sits out 50% of the season and doesn't really try to play.

with the exception of OKC having the luxury of great rookies and their contracts.

Fortunate for Mavs is that Luka/Kyrie @ $40m/$37m are great contracts. They are not going to have cap space as long as Luka is here as his next contract will start at >$60M/yr. It really depends on how much salary/luxury tax the owner is willing to spend.

The NBA’s projected salary cap for the 2024-25 season will be around 141M. This year it was 135M. Tax lux line projected at 172M. First apron at 179M and the second at 190M. And anything above, teams will be hit with heavy penalties like being unable to acquire players in a sign-and-trade or sign a player through the mid-level exception. So it's not only a problem of how much you want to spend but what kind of penalties you want to endure.

I am still a fan of how much does a contract hit overal cap %'s wise instead of looking at the base value of a contract since the cap is rising. And Luka is still 3 years away from those 60M, we have no clue how high cap will rise until that point. Though he does have a player option which he can decline and become a FA, so that would shorten the wait.

daoneandonly wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:If Arod and his partner end up getting the Wolves and they want to cut payroll as rumored, we need to put our chips in on Jaden McDaniels.Superb defender and fits so well with the SL

He's one of my top guys on my radar too. Maybe something like the following:

DAL Receives: McDaniels + NAW
MIN Receives: THJ + J. Green + 25 FRP (top 10 protected)

DAL gets a all defensive wing in McDaniels and a good defender at the guard position in NAW. Add a good shooter in the offseason and we're set. Luka/Kyrie/McDaniels/PJ/Gafford with Exum/NAW/DJJ/Maxi/Lively off the bench is scary good defensively.

MIN gets out of McDaniels's giant contract. They get Green at half the cost of McDaniels and an expiring THJ who can provide the offense they desperately need off the bench. They can let THJ expire the following offseason to get major cap relief. They also get a FRP which they actually need so they can add cheap, young and cost controlled assets to fill their bench.

Would hate to lose another first, but have to give to get despite what the liberal left believe.

Of course this all would be moot if we drafted the right guy (any of the clearly obvious 3 better options) in 2020.

If i remember correctly Mavs can't trade 25th anyway. They can only do 26th swap.

Mavrelous would know better i think.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#188 » by dygaction » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:34 pm

Archx wrote:
dygaction wrote:

The NBA’s projected salary cap for the 2024-25 season will be around 141M. This year it was 135M. Tax lux line projected at 172M. First apron at 179M and the second at 190M. And anything above, teams will be hit with heavy penalties like being unable to acquire players in a sign-and-trade or sign a player through the mid-level exception. So it's not only a problem of how much you want to spend but what kind of penalties you want to endure.

I am still a fan of how much does a contract hit overal cap %'s wise instead of looking at the base value of a contract since the cap is rising. And Luka is still 3 years away from those 60M, we have no clue how high cap will rise until that point. Though he does have a player option which he can decline and become a FA, so that would shorten the wait.

I think the Mavs would have to get to 2nd Apron and be ready to pay penalties in the near future. There are restrictions and financial punishment, but that's tradeoffs the owners have to make between team's competitiveness and long term value. This year Clippers and Warriors payrolls are $40M more than the Mavs, with that hefty tax comes with the luxury of adding more pieces and accommodating to bad contracts. That's almost enough to allow Mavs to add Draymond and Wiggins without losing key pieces.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,473

Post#189 » by Mavrelous » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 pm

Mavs have no CBA legal pathway to being 2nd Apron next year, they'll be hardcapped at 1st.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#190 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:38 am

Watching NOP@GSW, either Trey Murphy III or Herbert Jones... really good
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#191 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:56 am

Is O-Max 2way wing that we needed? I hope.

Tonight he has some flashes HL. OMG.

The poster dunk was insane.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 966

Post#192 » by tleikheen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 pm

OMax has showed he's ready to contribute right now .Case in point ,OKC was going for #1 seating yesterday and wasn't messing around and ONLY OMax came to play and meet the challenge .That's a mindset because we all know he has the physical tool to be successful.
Alot of you still stand by Maxi and think he's our "smalball" Center but the fact is his limited contribution would be quickly forgotten just like Dwight Powells contributions. OMax could give better physical defense and with his ability to go through defenses can finish through contact making him more dangerous.
The good teams are bringing athletic wings off the bench like Denver's Peyton Watson and Christian Braun.Maxi can't match them but OMax can . Adding OMax to PJ,DJJ,Exum,Gaff,& Lively gives Dallas a swarming ,switching defense which can only add to a serious run for this yrs Championship.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#193 » by dygaction » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 am

Doubt Warriors would be willing to pay hefty luxury tax next year, meaning Wiggins and Draymond may be on the trade market, Klay and CP3 (waived) can be on the free agent market.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,473

Post#194 » by Mavrelous » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 am

dygaction wrote:Doubt Warriors would be willing to pay hefty luxury tax next year, meaning Wiggins and Draymond may be on the trade market, Klay and CP3 (waived) can be on the free agent market.

CP3 on vet min as 4th guard and injury insurance for Exum/Kyrie is a good option, doubt he's interested though, if LeBron stays in LA, he's probably taking him.
Klay is great at BAE, OK at best for the MLE, but at these prices, GSW will keep him.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#195 » by dygaction » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 am

Mavrelous wrote:
dygaction wrote:Doubt Warriors would be willing to pay hefty luxury tax next year, meaning Wiggins and Draymond may be on the trade market, Klay and CP3 (waived) can be on the free agent market.

CP3 on vet min as 4th guard and injury insurance for Exum/Kyrie is a good option, doubt he's interested though, if LeBron stays in LA, he's probably taking him.
Klay is great at BAE, OK at best for the MLE, but at these prices, GSW will keep him.

Klay mentioned he wanted to prioritize mental health in the future so most likely wants to play somewhere else.

Read on Twitter

Wiggins value has increase again. His earlier atrocious 3pt shooting comes back to 40.5% in the past two months. Still think he makes Mavs a strong contender.
Realtalk420
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#196 » by Realtalk420 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am

Do you think Caruso would be too small for us (starting SF)?
I know we are trying to get bigger but if Luka/PJ guard opponent 3/4 then he would guard 1/2?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#197 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:52 pm

Klay is washed and Green is not mental healthy... Stay away from them please.

We need a 2way wing better than DJJ.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#198 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:29 pm

If Sac decides to blow things up a bit and trade Sobanis, would you guys do a swap of Lively for Keegan Murray? Not sure who ahs more value as I tend to favor our guys, but Keegan would be a great fit at SF in the starting 5. WOuld hate to lose Derrick as he's shown he is a legit force, but have to give to get. But we still desperately need another big, so if trading Green gets u that, may be worth considering.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#199 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Klay is washed and Green is not mental healthy... Stay away from them please.

We need a 2way wing better than DJJ.

What is it about guys named Green that are mentally not ready :D ?
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#200 » by dygaction » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:58 pm

Where is the Mavs' source coming from? Have to assume THJ not here anymore, but not even sure Klay is an upgrade at this stage. That 0/10 in a critical play-in game makes Maxi a sharp shooter.

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Mavericks