ImageImageImage

Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread 

Post#141 » by Darren » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:23 pm

The supporting cast needs to elevate their game. It takes time and circumstances to excel, though. Stretch bigs and elite guards are the major problem to overcome. But I think this team can build from within. A coach like Spoestra could maximize talents, dictate favorable mismatches and enhance motivation.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,236

Post#142 » by ChipotleWest » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:36 pm

Darren wrote:The supporting cast needs to elevate their game. It takes time and circumstances to excel, though. Stretch bigs and elite guards are the major problem to overcome. But I think this team can build from within. A coach like Spoestra could maximize talents, dictate favorable mismatches and enhance motivation.

I'm afraid we're going to be stuck with Kidd for a loooooonnnnnnnnnnnnng time. Because of how well the team is playing they probably want to give him an extension.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,851

Post#143 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:13 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Darren wrote:The supporting cast needs to elevate their game. It takes time and circumstances to excel, though. Stretch bigs and elite guards are the major problem to overcome. But I think this team can build from within. A coach like Spoestra could maximize talents, dictate favorable mismatches and enhance motivation.

I'm afraid we're going to be stuck with Kidd for a loooooonnnnnnnnnnnnng time. Because of how well the team is playing they probably want to give him an extension.

Kidd is mediocre and sloooooooooow to make adjustment but if he doesn't try some weird experiments i don't care because Luka and Kyrie are floor generals who don't need a real coach... maybe just some great assistants for offense and defense.

Of course a Spoelstra or Pop would help a lot :lol:
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 966

Post#144 » by tleikheen » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:41 pm

This is only GLeague but OMax is playing very good there. He's avging 18 ppg and 7.8 rpg in 23 games. He's shooting over 50/40/77 from the field.
Maybe he's not impressing the coaching staff in Mav practices ,but on just defense alone he should get some backup minutes behind both PJ and DJJ.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#145 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:51 pm

The rotations are setted, no time to insert Omax unless multiple injuries.

But it's good to see him growing well.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 851

Post#146 » by Teffer10 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:20 pm

tleikheen wrote:This is only GLeague but OMax is playing very good there. He's avging 18 ppg and 7.8 rpg in 23 games. He's shooting over 50/40/77 from the field.
Maybe he's not impressing the coaching staff in Mav practices ,but on just defense alone he should get some backup minutes behind both PJ and DJJ.

This is setting up well for Prosper to replace Maxi next season.

I still say trade THJ/Green for Wiggins in the offseason and resign DJJ.

Luka/Exum/Williams
Kyrie/Hardy/Lawson
Wiggins/DJJ/Fudge
PJ/Prosper/Maxi
Gafford/Lively/Powell
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,652

Post#147 » by Skybox » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:32 am

WCJ to DAL for Gafford.

Lively & Gafford are very similar in their skillsets and limitations. Lively is on a rookie deal and has higher upside. WCJ at 4 would be physical, grab 10+ rpg while Lively contests everything. On the other end, WCJ spreads the floor, attacks close outs, runs PnR…but mostly provides the spacing their guards need. I believe WCJ would jump in ppg & rpg in DAL…and he’s actually younger than Gafford. They have nearly identical deals with 2 more years each. Obviously, Carter also spends time at the 5, creating all sorts of combos with Washington, Maxi, and Powell.

Gafford fits right between Paolo & Franz and basically provides nearly everything Claxton would at 60% of the likely salary. ORL retains a ton of cap space and picks to solidify the backcourt. WCJ’s versatility is under emphasized in ORL’s fronrcourt…I think he’s got more value, all-around, than Gafford…but fit is better for both in this trade.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#148 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:20 am

Skybox wrote:WCJ to DAL for Gafford.

Lively & Gafford are very similar in their skillsets and limitations. Lively is on a rookie deal and has higher upside. WCJ at 4 would be physical, grab 10+ rpg while Lively contests everything. On the other end, WCJ spreads the floor, attacks close outs, runs PnR…but mostly provides the spacing their guards need. I believe WCJ would jump in ppg & rpg in DAL…and he’s actually younger than Gafford. They have nearly identical deals with 2 more years each. Obviously, Carter also spends time at the 5, creating all sorts of combos with Washington, Maxi, and Powell.

Gafford fits right between Paolo & Franz and basically provides nearly everything Claxton would at 60% of the likely salary. ORL retains a ton of cap space and picks to solidify the backcourt. WCJ’s versatility is under emphasized in ORL’s fronrcourt…I think he’s got more value, all-around, than Gafford…but fit is better for both in this trade.

Mavs won't do it, but I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a good move.

It will depend on how we do in the POs, but the Mavs might have to think about moving Gafford or Lively if none of our wings step up to the next level.
Lively and Gafford can't play together but Lively and WCJ might be able to. PJ could move to SF.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#149 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:27 am

Archx wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:FWIW, DJJ+Green as defesnive guards with Gafford/Lively + PJ frontcourt is good enough IMO, Mavs need backup PF, Maxi is nearing the end of his servicable career, and they need offense off the bench if Hardy isn't in the plans to fully replace THJ, I just don't see THJ another year in Mavs uniform, they also need 4th ball handler because both Kyrie and Exum aren't reliable and see to be 30 games each, with Mavs shortage of resources, just addressing these is going to be tough.

I just think we are solid at 1/2/4/5 but are starving for that 3. DJJ, Green, Exum are nice role players but I don't see any of the three developing into a solid starting 3.

You sure about that?

1st - K. Irving - D. Jones Jr. - P. Washington - L. Doncic - D. Gafford... with +24.7 net. One of the best (if not the best starting unit) in the league and +12 better than Celtics and Nuggets starting units.

2nd -K. Irving - P. Washington - L. Doncic - J. Green - D. Lively II... with +13 net. Still 0.6 pts better than Celtics starting unit.

As you can see, Green and DJJ have worked well but then bench rotations and very suspect coaching, plus mostly injuries, have been the story of the season so far. The fact that Mavs have only ONE lineup that is just slightly above 100 minutes played, is just scary. That's why we always say in general chat that it is basically a miracle for them to have this good of a result in the standings.

Mavs have no starting caliber 2-way players so that is where I was going with that.
Gotta get a starting caliber wing who can guard 1-3 and score double-digits on a regular basis.
As currently constructed, our chances of winning are slim if Luka or Kyrie are out or having a bad night.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:56 am

Skybox wrote:WCJ to DAL for Gafford.

Hell no, WCJ is a heavy injury prone guy.

Gafford is a beast, Nico will never trade him unless a star is involved.

I want to wait the PO before make any decision about the roster.
BliscoSantos
Rookie
And1: 686

Post#151 » by BliscoSantos » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:10 pm

Omax is playing ok in the G-league,but the fact that he wasn't able to get any minutes when the team was riddled with injuries is concerning...is he a late bloomer or did they make the mistake by drafting him? Time Will tell,but so far it's not looking good

The biggest need for next year is gonna be a starting SF and a backup PF...I hope they are finaly able to trade Timmy ,maybe/Hopefully Maxi as well, and I'd even throw in Josh Green if they can get a starting caliber SF...Green is too small for SF and he's not a starter...with Luka ,Kai ,Exum ,Hardy and some veteran signing Mavs would be set at PG, SG position
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#152 » by Teffer10 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:40 am

BliscoSantos wrote:Omax is playing ok in the G-league,but the fact that he wasn't able to get any minutes when the team was riddled with injuries is concerning...is he a late bloomer or did they make the mistake by drafting him? Time Will tell,but so far it's not looking good

The biggest need for next year is gonna be a starting SF and a backup PF...I hope they are finaly able to trade Timmy ,maybe/Hopefully Maxi as well, and I'd even throw in Josh Green if they can get a starting caliber SF...Green is too small for SF and he's not a starter...with Luka ,Kai ,Exum ,Hardy and some veteran signing Mavs would be set at PG, SG position

Completely agree.
Prosper hopefully develops enough to become the backup PF.
We most likely will need to make a trade to bring in a starting SF.

I still say Green/THJ for Wiggins makes sense for both teams.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#153 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:35 pm

That we would have to add THJ to make him Hunter, I think it would work for the Mavs...then Green+Powell for Bruce Brown and see if the Spurs or Pistons want to take Maxi into cap space and re-sign DJJ
1+1=11
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#154 » by Mike lorenzo » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:40 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:Omax is playing ok in the G-league,but the fact that he wasn't able to get any minutes when the team was riddled with injuries is concerning...is he a late bloomer or did they make the mistake by drafting him? Time Will tell,but so far it's not looking good

Completely agree.
Prosper hopefully develops enough to become the backup PF.
We most likely will need to make a trade to bring in a starting SF.

I still say Green/THJ for Wiggins makes sense for both teams.
The Warriors have Podzienski/Moody/GP2/Klay...I'm not sure there is an important role for Tim/Green, I think a 3 team would be needed and that the Mavs recover more salary...
1+1=11
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,046

Post#155 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:55 pm

Easy trade is Green for DFS. WHo cares about age, Green stinks and DFS knows the system and already has a friendship and chemistry with Luka. DFS can also bring Dennis SMith Jr with him to solve our backup PG issues.
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#156 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:56 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
tleikheen wrote:This is only GLeague but OMax is playing very good there. He's avging 18 ppg and 7.8 rpg in 23 games. He's shooting over 50/40/77 from the field.

This is setting up well for Prosper to replace Maxi next season.

I still say trade THJ/Green for Wiggins in the offseason and resign DJJ.

Luka/Exum/Williams
Kyrie/Hardy/Lawson
Wiggins/DJJ/Fudge
PJ/Prosper/Maxi
Gafford/Lively/Powell

They gave Maxi an extension before the season he's here for two more seasons after this. I don't see them benching him like Powell unless O-Max is so good they're forced to and even they can find a way for him to get minutes if they want. They love Maxi, not sure why.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#157 » by arkuo » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:53 am

I know Kidd has DJJ starting for now and its been great. But will Tobias Harris be an upgrade over DJJ and Josh Green? I know TH is free to go to any other team and I wonder if him and PJ Washington can play the 3-4 spots at any time. Those two are 6'7 and 6'8.
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#158 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:57 am

arkuo wrote:I know Kidd has DJJ starting for now and its been great. But will Tobias Harris be an upgrade over DJJ and Josh Green? I know TH is free to go to any other team and I wonder if him and PJ Washington can play the 3-4 spots at any time. Those two are 6'7 and 6'8.

We don't have any cap space to sign him unless you think he can only get the MLE. He's likely too good for that.

I'm not really a fan anyway not a good defender and he'll be 32.

Fun fact: no one's earned more money and never made an All Star team.

Read on Twitter

I'm not sure we can do better than PJ/Green to be honest. We don't have trade assets.
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#159 » by StoneIsland » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:48 am

Can we replace THJ with Bogdan Bogdanovic? He just got into heated argument with Snyder and went face to face with him. Doubt he will be a Hawk next season and honestly he is better than THJ. Just as good shooter (not hot - cold all the time like THJ), better defender and better ballhandler. Not to mention the benefits Luka would have since they both are from Balkan and are good friends.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,504

Post#160 » by Mavrelous » Tue Apr 2, 2024 7:43 am

StoneIsland wrote:Can we replace THJ with Bogdan Bogdanovic? He just got into heated argument with Snyder and went face to face with him. Doubt he will be a Hawk next season and honestly he is better than THJ. Just as good shooter (not hot - cold all the time like THJ), better defender and better ballhandler. Not to mention the benefits Luka would have since they both are from Balkan and are good friends.

I wish, if ATL blows it up then he should be primary target, the perfect bench scorer and injury insurance behind Luka and Kyrie.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks