ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Raptors (730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,149

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs @ Raptors (730PMEST) 

Post#81 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
You sure Green can knock down 3? lol

Don't take my word for it. He has decent percentages. But if you can a very strong defensive 2 way SF with size....you put him on the bench.

Are you joking? Green is shooting almost 42% from 3 this year, 2nd year in a row over 40%. He should close out games instead of THJ because he hustles, rebounds and at least attempts to play defense.

Yes i was joking because he just shot a wide open air ball 3. Hence I asked the question.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#82 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:
Don't take my word for it. He has decent percentages. But if you can a very strong defensive 2 way SF with size....you put him on the bench.

Are you joking? Green is shooting almost 42% from 3 this year, 2nd year in a row over 40%. He should close out games instead of THJ because he hustles, rebounds and at least attempts to play defense.

The Green hate around here is beyond laughable at times.
Dude has improved something in his game nearly every year and hustles more than anyone. But people call him lazy.

Not everything should be labeled as hate. It was a joking question made after Green shot a wide open air ball 3. Relax a little, will ya?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,110

Post#83 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:11 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:
joesha1698 wrote:

Yes i was joking because he just shot a wide open air ball 3. Hence I asked the question.

It's all good i wasn't responding to you anyway.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 857

Post#84 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:59 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:

The Green hate around here is beyond laughable at times.
Dude has improved something in his game nearly every year and hustles more than anyone. But people call him lazy.

Not everything should be labeled as hate. It was a joking question made after Green shot a wide open air ball 3. Relax a little, will ya?

I'm not at all opposed to moving Green to upgrade the SL.
I just just don't get the lazy and low BBIQ comments.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#85 » by Teffer10 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:11 pm

Seems we are a Bruce Brown away from being a complete team.
Would THJ/Hardy/Two 2nds get it done in offseason? Maybe throw in OMax.

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/Green/Lawson
Brown/DJJ/OMax
PJ/Maxi/Morris
Lively/Gafford/Powel
Archx
RealGM

Post#86 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:53 pm

Teffer10 wrote:Seems we are a Bruce Brown away from being a complete team.

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/Green/Lawson
Brown/DJJ/OMax
PJ/Maxi/Morris
Lively/Gafford/Powel

I'm not sure. Pacers traded him away quite quickly and after reading Raptors reddit and other stuff, looks like almost no one likes him. I think Denver's system and Jokic made him look much better than he actually is. But i'm not watching him play so i could be wrong.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,854

Post#87 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:01 pm

Archx wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Seems we are a Bruce Brown away from being a complete team.

Luka/Exum
Kyrie/Green/Lawson
Brown/DJJ/OMax
PJ/Maxi/Morris
Lively/Gafford/Powel

I'm not sure. Pacers traded him away quite quickly and after reading Raptors reddit and other stuff, looks like almost no one likes him. I think Denver's system and Jokic made him look much better than he actually is. But i'm not watching him play so i could be wrong.

I think he is slighty overrated but he was very important for Denver, he can help for sure.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:34 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:The Green hate around here is beyond laughable at times.

I'm not at all opposed to moving Green to upgrade the SL.
I just just don't get the lazy and low BBIQ comments.

The low BBIQ comment was also a joke made after Green made a good hustle to get the ball from a loose rebound then 2 seconds after fumbled the ball and gave it back to the opponent.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by GermanFan120 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:36 pm

Can anyone explain to me why DJJ should not replace Green in crunch moment where 3D is very much needed?

In my eyes, DJJ is longer and plays better D. And DJJ has proven that he can knock down open corner 3s and he is a better finisher at the rim.
Archx
RealGM

Post#90 » by Archx » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:58 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:Can anyone explain to me why DJJ should not replace Green in crunch moment where 3D is very much needed?

In my eyes, DJJ is longer and plays better D. And DJJ has proven that he can knock down open corner 3s and he is a better finisher at the rim.

Green is shooting 79% at the rim, DJJ 69%

Green is shooting 41.5% from 3, DJJ 34%

Green is evolving to be one of the best knock down shooters in the NBA and 3&D players. He sure has flaws and has some ways to go but he's absolutely trending in the right direction. Problem with him is, he had really horrible start of the season and then he was injured but since coming back, he's been really good.

I agree DJJ should play more and Kidd should find a way to play him more but he shouldn't be replacing Green as you're suggesting. Unless there is a specific matchup which favors DJJ.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by GermanFan120 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:00 am

Archx wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:Can anyone explain to me why DJJ should not replace Green in crunch moment where 3D is very much needed?

Green is evolving to be one of the best knock down shooters in the NBA and 3&D players. He sure has flaws and has some ways to go but he's absolutely trending in the right direction. Problem with him is, he had really horrible start of the season and then he was injured but since coming back, he's been really good.

I agree DJJ should play more and Kidd should find a way to play him more but he shouldn't be replacing Green as you're suggesting. Unless there is a specific matchup which favors DJJ.

Like how DJJ can give some trouble to KD and Green will be eaten alive by KD... :roll:
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#92 » by Teffer10 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:04 am

I think it depends on defensive matchups.

I could see DJJ on bigger wings and Josh on more perimeter oriented players.
Either way, I think they are both bench caliber players with Green having a little more upside.

But right now I'm much more comfortable watching Green shoot a 3 than DJJ.
Archx
RealGM

Post#93 » by Archx » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:20 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Like how DJJ can give some trouble to KD and Green will be eaten alive by KD... :roll:

Green doesn't even guard players like KD to begin with, so i don't know why you're rolling your eyes specifically on that matchup.

That's why Mavs have PJ. Lively or Gaff with PJ/Green/Luka/Kyrie is a killer combination of defense and offense. This setup won the game vs Raps. You can obviously mix and match with DJJ aswell. Doesn't matter really.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#94 » by dirkules_41 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:06 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
Archx wrote:

Really desperate there are we, mate? :lol: When facts aren't on your side you just make up your own story
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#95 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:51 am

Teffer10 wrote:

Either way, I think they are both bench caliber players with Green having a little more upside.

Yes, green has quicker feet to chase elite guard, DJJ is better to defense elite wing player.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,140

Post#96 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:04 am

Dirk wrote:OH MY GOD PJ WASHINGTON MAVS CAREER HIGHLIGHT REEL

I don't know what go to him, but Hornets fans scouting report did often highlight that he comes and goes as far as his "focus". I'd say he's generally always been engaged on D, but he definitely has a very low key/passive looking demeanour. Fingers crossed he has turned some kind of page and gets to hit the 3s with consistency.

Spoiler:

Nice clips. Especially the block was so refreshing to see during the game. Other than Lively no one was blocking shots for this team. Now Maxi is also back, PJ is here, Gafford is great rim protector. So we have much better defense!

For both PJ and Gafford, I was able to notice some of their easy mistakes, 'losing team' habits and in some cases lack of urgency for tight moments. These two played less competitive games than Maxi-DFS etc. When you play those hard 4th quarters where both good teams want to win, then the intensity increases.
Moving screens, easy foul calls, not securing the rebound. I mean other teams players know those tricks, sometimes just flopping and getting offensive foul calls on Gafford. You may ask how can PJ-Gafford can avoid other teams flopping. It is possible to avoid a considerable part of them. As you play more in those tight games, and also understand how REFs are acting depending on home-away court and momentum, you need to adjust how hard you set a screen or how careless you can be. For instance, you sometimes need to take the rebound in a way that you also take the hit and get foul call, easy FTs. These are not so important for Wizards games but for clutch games, its always nice to get FTs due to foul on rebounding.

Its easier to play when you're down 20 in 2nd quarter with Hornets. Or against Wizards, no player takes those game serious unless if the game goes close to the 4th quarter. So some of those bad habits needs improvement. It may take time. But as we play 'winnning baksetball', I think both PJ-Gafford will get better. I trust their effort. They seemed to be locked in!
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,854

Post#97 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:38 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Yes, green has quicker feet to chase elite guard, DJJ is better to defense elite wing player.

Agree.

They are completely different defender, make no sense compare them.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,662

Post#98 » by Mavrelous » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:56 pm

The most I'm missing from Green, and he demonstrated multiple times he's great at it, is applying full court pressure on the lead guard, especially when Exum is available and he can be out there for full effort only 25-30 minutes, he did it in team Australia, and he did it in the home game against the Knicks, he suffocated Brunson, and was able to recover easily from the high screens, Kidd doesn't use this strategy often for some reason.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down

Return to Dallas Mavericks