Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,835

Mavs coaching discussion 

Post#1 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:40 pm

New topic needed.

I think it's enough.
This team underperforming and get worse every game.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,439

Re: Mavs coaching discussion 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:45 pm

I don't think firing him will do any good,it's too late...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:48 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I don't think firing him will do any good,it's too late...

I would like to see at least good basketball games.
It's very good for me.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,989

Post#4 » by Archx » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:50 pm

Read on Twitter
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#5 » by ejs78 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:52 pm

We're still doing this?

No I don't think Kidd is a good coach which I've stated multiple times, but he's not getting fired this year and this was the same 20 games ago.

Won't be suprised at all when he's on the bench to start next year either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#6 » by StoneIsland » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:04 pm

Fire him tonight, give Dudley the chance until the rest of the season and hope for the best (playoffs), then contact Bud or someone else who will be on the market (maybe Mosley or Snyder if he gets fired).
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,013

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 4, 2024 3:11 am

I knew hiring Jason Kidd could ruin friendships and I hope that won't be the case. It's time for us to move on.

We need to get the most out of our young talents and I don't believe that's happening.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:10 am

ejs78 wrote:We're still doing this?

No I don't think Kidd is a good coach which I've stated multiple times, but he's not getting fired this year and this was the same 20 games ago.

Won't be suprised at all when he's on the bench to start next year either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Probably you are right, if he will sit on our bench next game then we are done for the season.

The timing would be perfect after last L because the FO would also save face.
If it doesn't happen they are accomplices for this crap.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#9 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Mar 4, 2024 6:58 pm

I'm all in on Bud, I would fire Kidd today and get that deal done immediately while he's available. Unfortunately I'm not the MBT.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#10 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:08 pm

HMFFL wrote:I knew hiring Jason Kidd could ruin friendships and I hope that won't be the case. It's time for us to move on.

We need to get the most out of our young talents and I don't believe that's happening.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

I mean all friendships are traded away for Kyrie already. Brunson-DFS-Dinwiddie were doing good with Luka for sure.

Coach Bud is a solid coach, though he is not good at playoff adjustments. I dont know, Kyrie had like 4-5 coaches in last 6-7 years and his teams epically failed each time.

Having Bud may force to trade kyrie away so that'd be a plus. I mean we need a better-fitted roster around Luka and its hard to find the required pieces without someone getting value out of trading kyrie.
Archx
RealGM

Post#11 » by Archx » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:18 pm

Mavs upgrade the roster people come back from injuries and still somehow manage to go backwards in form and defense.

Read on Twitter
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 9:28 pm

Archx wrote:Mavs upgrade the roster people come back from injuries and still somehow manage to go backwards in form and defense.

Read on Twitter

Opponents and adjustment period also matter for sure. I think the main issue is Kidd playing higher tempo and opting for offensive players. I really dont care Cuban's analytics guys saying the push the tempo. It doesn't work for our defense.

Carlisle to Kidd, the biggest difference was playing at a slower pace which made our defense average. In half-court Luka can still create scoring.

I can understand using Maxi against specific matchups but its hard for me to understand using THJ. Having Kyrie on the court with Luka sometimes doesn't make sense either. Make sure Kyrie gives full effort when Luka is out.
We should go bigger with using Green more at SG. Play some ugly game, try to finish games with less than 100 points. Green-DJJ-PJ-Gafford should work for this on paper.
Archx
RealGM

Post#13 » by Archx » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:08 pm

Someone on reddit did this incredible breakdown of Nuggets and Mavs difference in best lineups. It's worth a read because it's something that is apparently lost on Mavs coaching staff which is mind boggling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/1b6kpt0/ive_had_the_feeling_that_our_starting_5_dont_get/
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 10:11 pm

Archx wrote:Someone on reddit did this incredible breakdown of Nuggets and Mavs difference in best lineups. It's worth a read because it's something that is apparently lost on Mavs coaching staff which is mind boggling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/1b6kpt0/ive_had_the_feeling_that_our_starting_5_dont_get/

Kidd doesn't even understand which is our starting5 after 5 months :lol:
Archx
RealGM

Post#15 » by Archx » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:00 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Kidd doesn't even understand which is our starting5 after 5 months :lol:

Expect Timmy to start next game. Tim Sr. doing some heavy lifting in the backgrounds...

Read on Twitter
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,570

Post#16 » by jpengland » Tue Mar 5, 2024 8:18 am

Kidd is a truly horrific coach and an even worse human being. I was saying this from before he even took on the Dallas role.

He's absolute fools gold, he gets a year of OK defense out of a team and that's it.

Give this roster to a top tier coaching team and it's a contender (a fringe contender, but one nonetheless).
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:43 am

jpengland wrote:Kidd is a truly horrific coach and an even worse human being. I was saying this from before he even took on the Dallas role.

He's absolute fools gold, he gets a year of OK defense out of a team and that's it.

Give this roster to a top tier coaching team and it's a contender (a fringe contender, but one nonetheless).

You are overrating roster a little here. Kyrie had better, more complete rosters in Celtics and also Nets. Adding Kyrie did not help them to become a better team, or serious contender. Last 7 years, he had no success to be considered as a star piece. Not helping his teams to win as a max player should.
Kidd can easily say things were good before Kyrie.
Year 1: WCF.
Year 2: 4th seed before Kyrie.

Overall, Kidd is probably an average coach, maybe below average. He is nowhere near to Carlisle tier.
Mavs have no picks left. Not much flexibility to make moves either. Replacing Kidd becomes the only next available move before trading Kyrie away.

I liked FOs overall performance this year so maybe they'll keep finding rotation players without spending too much. That being said its hard to justify Luka-kyrie pairing.

Its like pairing Sabonis with Jokic. Those two would work offensively, but they'd lose more on defense.
Luka's scoring and playmaking talent is already there. Biggest weakness is defense. Luka-Kyrie doesn't increase offense too much while it reduces defense a lot. Invest in a legit frontcourt star next to the Luka. And try to find Brunson-Dinwiddie-like players for cheaper to work next to Luka. Even Exum is looking good at times with Luka. PG-SGs who gets paid around $10-20m can still work pretty good with Luka's Robin.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by ozwizard8 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:00 am

Archx wrote:Someone on reddit did this incredible breakdown of Nuggets and Mavs difference in best lineups. It's worth a read because it's something that is apparently lost on Mavs coaching staff which is mind boggling.

I dont think there is a clear cut strategy that is best for rotation minutes. Playing second unit by themselves might not make sense if they give up 10 point lead. Having either Luka and Kyrie makes sense according to many coachs' style.

Our top 5 rotation lineup has so little minutes because, Kyrie missed half of the games, Lively missed a considerable amount as well. On top of this neither Green or Grant was consistent. Many wanted those guys out of rotation.
+/- stats has some word but some people dont accept this stat when I showcase Kleber was a good choice against Cleveland, and some suddenly like this stat for 5-men rotations with a very short sample rate.

Denver's 5-man rotation is very well balanced. Their salaries are also high but, more importantly, it is balanced.

Mavs PG-SG duo is making $80m, while DJJ making $3m. DJJ+Grant+Lively is a total of $20m for three players.
There is a reason that DJJ or Grant was available for that cheap. They're very inconsistent and against some matchups they dont work.

Murray - $34m
KCP - $15m
MPJ - $33m
Gordon - $22m
Jokic - $47m

7 players of Denver's bench make a total of $22m with an average salary of $3m per year. If you have that bad of a bench, you are not going to use them on heavy minutes anyway.

I think someone should look into how 3-guards perform for Mavs. I never like to see those offensive lineups of Mavs. It gets demolished on defense on most games. The other team doesn't even get tired against that lineup. Refs call easy fouls. Opposing players also get confidence when they easily score on Kyrie-THJ-Luka lineup.

Kidd should go back to slow tempo and also make sure there are at least 3-plus defenders on the court. We need defensive consistency. No more THJ if Luka-Kyrie is on the court. Even if its a 10-point deficit keep the defensive roster and rely on Luka-Kyrie to make some tough shots.
Archx
RealGM

Post#19 » by Archx » Tue Mar 5, 2024 12:44 pm

+/- and NETrtg lineups don't care how much someone gets paid. If a lineup works, it simply works.

PJ has played a total of 287 minutes for Mavs at this point and only 77 min in their best rotation. Lively, Kyrie, Green, etc.. have been healthy for a while now aswell. Lively is in great form and shape for a while aswell but can't play more than 20 mins even if he's out of foul trouble.

Kidd is clueless, can't spin it around no matter how hard we try. Malone knows how to optimize THE RIGHT guys around Jokic, that's also a huge difference.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Mar 5, 2024 3:31 pm

jpengland wrote:Kidd is a truly horrific coach and an even worse human being. I was saying this from before he even took on the Dallas role.

I can't believe Kidd has so high reputation around the league as a coach, he was a great basketball player but he always failed like coach.
Good first year and after that a disastrous decline... Every single time, Bucks and Lakers were smart enough to fire him. We don't.

Return to Dallas Mavericks